Quantcast
What's your most common reason to resell a piece of gear? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's your most common reason to resell a piece of gear?
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What's your most common reason to resell a piece of gear?

For me, besides "didn't work as expected", or "need cash for new synth" it's mostly:

I didn't listen to my heart enough, but too much to reviews, specs, people's opinions and the rational part of my brain.
On the other side, my pre-buy feeling hardly ever fooled me.

Whats your most usual reasons to sell something again?
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
because i don't use it

i'm at a stage where i use everything i have, so i have nothing that i want to sell
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Exactly. Anything that doesn't get used at least once in 6 months has to go.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
for me it goes along these lines>

i love the sound, and love playing it, love having this machine arround, but day to day i don't really use it that much (or at all) in my music, just didn't work out, and its been gathering dust for a while. then, do i really need to have all that , waiting just in case i might need it one day.. etc.. questions like that.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch ➑️
I didn't listen to my heart enough, but too much to reviews, specs, people's opinions and the rational part of my brain.
On the other side, my pre-buy feeling hardly ever fooled me.
That's me as well. It's happened a lot in the past, and it still happens, although not as frequently these days.

I usually know pretty quickly if I will like a synth or not as soon as I sit down with it. Some synths are inspiring to use and help me generate a lot of ideas. Others may on the one hand sound great, but on the other just seem to lack that special something that makes me connect with them well enough to come up with lots of new stuff when improvising.

ImageLine's Harmor was a winner straight away for me. I can't sit down with that thing without coming up with lots of new ideas. Diva was - surprisingly - not. Neither was Sylenth1. The Minimonsta, however, is an inspiring synth to me. As for Alchemy... I can't get along with it. There's something about the sound that I really dislike.

Now, on paper and in reviews, Alchemy, Sylenth1 and Diva are all superb, and that's probably why I bought them. Had I listened to my heart, however, it would have been another story.

As for hardware synths (which I have sold a lot of), the Virus stands out as one that came and left quickly, because I found it sort of dead and uninspiring. Based on what others were saying about it, I thought it was going to be the ultimate thing, but far from it. I couldn't spend more than minutes with it at a time before moving on to something else. When I find something I REALLY love I'll just sit there until my body feels like it's starting to decompose, basically. Years have passed since I got rid of the Virus though, and lots of things have changed in the meanwhile, so now I might go and get one again to see if my response to it is different. I have a feeling it might be, but I'd go for a TI this time around as they have a bit more to offer.

When it comes to the Korg MS2000, however... That was another thing I bought because of all the great things I heard about them, even though my gut feeling about it wasn't quite right. It was put up for sale within weeks after I got it.
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➑️
for me it goes along these lines>

i love the sound, and love playing it, love having this machine arround, but day to day i don't really use it that much (or at all) in my music, just didn't work out, and its been gathering dust for a while. then, do i really need to have all that , waiting just in case i might need it one day.. etc.. questions like that.
That happens a lot too for me. Some synths I just love, but they never end up on any of my tracks. And they're still damn hard to get rid of.
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds ➑️
Anything that doesn't get used has to go.
+1

1) Space is a scarce commodity. More, I want all my instruments quickly available around me. That can't be more than a limited number.

2) Money is a scarce commodity.

3) I mentally need to focus on DEEPLY knowing my instruments, and MASTERING them (what's the point of having a synth you CAN'T program?).

I can't manage more than 3/4 types of architecture at the same time.

Can you?

Can you seriously design innovative sounds on analogue, samples, VL, VAST, and lot of other different platforms at the same time?

And still have the time for writing melodies and training to keep your fingers quick?

Wow....

I know and still study analogue a lot,
spend some time on the VL's peculiar language,
spend some time making my sample-based sounds... and that's hugely time-consuming,
... learn the minimum necessary amount of VAST for fine-tuning the Kurzweils' pianos and rhodes.

I couldn't add a MINUTE for another platform.

4) the complementary issue to 3) is:

as I sell what I don't use, I often buy two or three of what I use.

If a masterkeyboard is good, why not selling all the others and keep that as a standard controller?

If I know a synth's architecture and features perfectly, why not having one for comping and one for solos?

Buying more of kind X I like, implies selling kind Y I don't [due to point 1 and 2]

In short: I try to concentrate and reduce tools' variety,

and expand applications of tools I know

5) I use only hardware. It is possible that point 1 and 2 are of no relevance for people who use software (and often free software, or relatively cheap software)

But I think point 3 and 4 (focusing, knowing features in detail, being able to exploit a tool, being afmiliar with an architecture) are valid for software as well.

6) question arises: how does it happen I buy something I will later NOT use and will have to sell?

That's another story, for another thread.

It's not happening much, lately: and Music Instruments Industry is helping me with botched experiments and half-backed novelties which don't stand the "shop audition test".
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
And by the way, "doesn't get used" in this context means the piece of gear doesn't make it onto a track.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hah Synth Buddha, wow, we went through a lot of similar things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha ➑️
ImageLine's Harmor was a winner straight away for me. I can't sit down with that thing without coming up with lots of new ideas. Diva was - surprisingly - not. Neither was Sylenth1. The Minimonsta, however, is an inspiring synth to me. As for Alchemy... I can't get along with it. There's something about the sound that I really dislike.
THIS I will remember. As you, I *love* the minimonsta, however the Sylenth I try again and again cos it *should* be great as well, but for me it isn't.
Considering Diva myself these days, and I do love the sound when I play some notes, but in general, something about it makes me feel "no".

I sold my Virus Polar as well, after it just stood there unused.
I might get me a Desktop for live though.

Currently I fancy the NordElectro 4D, which I tested 3 times in the shops, and each time I could hardly move away from it, that much did I adore playing on it. Even though other people tell me "get the Stage", which I don't feel anything for.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's awesome, Polarelch! Makes me feel a little less alone too, hah.

What you describe about the NordElectro 4D... that's a great sign. Means more than all the specs and reviews in the world. When you connect with an instrument like that it actually becomes an instrument, and not just a machine that makes sounds. Seems to me like you should get it (and it's one of the things I'm going to check out for myself - haven't had the chance yet).

As for Diva, yes, our experiences are certainly similar. To me it certainly sounds "expensive" (for lack of a better term, but it would be hard to argue that it sounds like a cheap softsynth - it certainly doesn't) and high quality, no doubt about that whatsoever. It took a team like Urs Heckmann's to come up with something like that. It's impressive. Yet, I also get that "no" feeling when I try to use it, and I end up removing it from the DAW and using something else instead. I've owned it for months now, and spend hours in the studio every day and have done my best to get along with it, but... it's not for me, that seems clear now. I'm still glad others like it, though, because I'm a massive U-He fan (enough of a fan to actually speak honestly about how I feel about their products, and not rant and rave about everything they put their name on like some insecure fanboy on autopilot) and want that company to remain a successful one and create new fabulous stuff for MANY years to come. Some of that stuff might not be for me, but that's fine as the other things they make is more than good enough to make up for that.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Need money for drugs

Really, because either I never use that piece of equipment, or there's something new I want that offers everything previous piece of equipment does + more.
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
1) Limited space/not using gear enough

2) I still haven't found what specific genre or sound I'm going for, so I've gone through a number of synths.

3) Workflow!!!!! I'm glad I tried a Prophet 08 before trying it, because that thing was a piss off to program.

I'm confused if I should go for gear that I am "one" with, (ex. a real moog) and have my sound stay stagnant, or if I should keep experimenting and losing money haha

I'm thinking of buying a sampler because in a DAW I have so many options that the simplicity of making music is lost, I'm always thinking that another drum hit could have sound better etc.

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds ➑️
Exactly. Anything that doesn't get used at least once in 6 months has to go.
+1

will also add downsizing.. for example i want to sell 3 of my mid range compressors for 1 hi-end compressor.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If I don't use it and it is worth substantially more than the space it occupies and or what I paid for it. I make it a habit to only buy synths used for absolutely bottom dollar...so I usually will make a serious profit when I sell, but in doing so I have filled up my basement with a lot of keyboards and if I bring in many more I'm going to have to push them out. Some I keep for projects (need work), some I keep for a different flavor...but if I genuinely don't like something and especially if it is not appreciating in value, it is gone...like my Access Virus Indigo. I bought it used at a good deal from Guitar Center online..I spent a lot of time with it but I couldn't get into it, it wasn't making me any money, bam gone.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

1)
i go through what i like to call musical bulking and cutting. i acquire a **** ton of things and over time figure out what is working for me and what is not, then i sell what is not.

2)
i bought a few units to part out to make one good version of that item and sell the other parts. that happens alot.

3)
i found said something, worked it over and really enjoyed what i did with it, then came this other item that just ate it's ability's up and **** out a ton more. so i sell that unit to move further up in the chain.

4)
the unit was given to me and i don't like it. (this rarely happens actually.)
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Upgrading is a good argument. I've had an MPC1000 for about a year and a half now but recently bit the bullet and decided to buy an NI Maschine. I liked having everything right there in the box on the MPC, but some of the workflow is a bit dated for my liking. The Maschine on the other hand needs to be plugged into my computer, but it'd a much more fun device to play with and create on in my opinion.

MPC might be ending up on eBay very shortly....
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
For me the reason is to freshen up my sound and evolve my style. Other reason is consolidation and maximize space. I only kept a few analog gear and the rest are now VSTi.

Cheers!
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
cause i want something else
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
At the beginning, I did have a lot of turnover. Due to the lack of cash, and I needed something better or different. But that is also a learning process, and you get better and more selective with your purchases over time.

Sold a lot of vintage gear because of a relocation. I sold classics like the Chroma, Chroma Expander, Sigma, and Synergy. Mostly because of space considerations, the difficulties of shipping those, but also of fear not getting support when they brake down. I do have some regrets selling those.

Sold a lot of drum machines. I was once on a buying frenzy and got as many as I could. I figured that you don't need as many. Reduced them now to a hand full.

I do make a difference between "not used" and "no use". There is certain equipment that did not made onto any recording. Still I do have fun experimenting with their sounds. I am either still in awe with that synth, or do have an emotional attachment.

There have been synths that I absolutely hated. For example I bought an SE1 on a wink, but that POS sounded like crap. Sold it as quickly as I bought it.

Other than that, I am a hoarder and having hard time selling.
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Don't use it, need money for a new synth/midi keyboard.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
once it starts to smell funny....time to go.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 9th September 2012
msl
Lives for gear

Lack of use, often I'll get excited with a new piece and use it a lot, but then it falls into disuse.. after a year or two I sell it.

Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
STREAMLINING plus CASH TO FEED MY (new old) SYNTH ADDICTION - talk about a never ending circle

I essentially will not rest until I have owned and tried for at least a few months every single synth below Β£1000 that has ever caught my ear/eye. These are usually the flagship synths that are now cheap (I have no interest in 'lesser' models of for example the Roland D series). I will sell to buy and if I love the new synth it stays if I can't justify it, it goes - spend some of the money on other stuff (TVs, Audio interfaces, Cameras) and the rest on more old synths until I have experience with as many as possible. The reason is partly synth-addiction which I'll make no excuses for - i was obsessed with synths as a kid in the 80s, and partly for actual music reasons - often a new synth can become very inspiring and I am prolific with it over a few months writing new material that may not have happened otherwise. So a valid reason other than just 'a man child' (I'm in my 30s btw)

Do this enough times till you make enough money to move up to the next category (Jupiter 6, MS20 prices for example) Then I may be in real trouble letting go...
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
For the longest time it had been a lack of use first, followed by a want or need of something else. I've regretted selling enough items that I've actually decided to stop selling things.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had to sell all my gear because I needed money. I've also sold stuff because I didn't like using it.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I recently sold my entire studio and started over. There is a thread on here where I get into the specifics, but basically I wanted a fresh approach. I was burnt out on a lot of what I had and felt creatively blocked, so I started over. It's one reason to sell a piece (or pieces) of gear that might not have been mentioned yet.
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Not using it!

In fact Im trying to get rid of my jp8000. I love it as an whole...but just realized I never use it in my music.

The weird is that In not finding someone as buyer! Does the Jp no longer makes anyone salivate as did to me one day? Hehe

Interested pvt msg me
Old 10th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I will sell something after not using it for a few months. Usually if it is hardware I find out pretty quickly after adding it to my workflow. If I don't get that feeling to learn and master it after 1-2 months, I have a good idea of how long it will stick around.

Then I get nervous and have nightmares about selling a future classic and never being able to get it again. I'm beginning to think I'm also a synth collector.. my bank account and wife love that idea.
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrogoya ➑️
The weird is that In not finding someone as buyer! Does the Jp no longer makes anyone salivate as did to me one day? Hehe
Software is getting too good for VAs to 'excite' anyone in the know these days. Take 3 of the top Soft synths run them through a good audio interface on a fast computer - there's your VA and then some.
πŸ“ Reply