Quantcast
Essential Roland romplers? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Essential Roland romplers?
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Essential Roland romplers?

What are some romplers besides Korg from the 90s and 2000s that are essential? I've got a Korg N1 and a Trinity, so I've definitely got Korg covered. I've never checked out the Roland stuff though and I'm curious to see what they offer.

What's considered essential for Roland Romplers?
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The XV-5080 is pretty much all you need to experience what Roland's 90's romplers have to offer.

Roland XV5080

Old 9th September 2012
I agree with the above, the XV-5080 really covers it all. For something a bit more classic, the JD-990 is probably the Roland ROMpler
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I was going to say "none" but that's perhaps condescending. I'll say whatever was used on the music that you are trying to emulate or something that contains that same engine/ROM
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think the fandom rack goes further than the 5080?

The fandom x has updated presets,I have a 5080 still though.I remember lusting for the FX.

The Roland integre 7 is soon to be releases.it'll be the new one stop for Roland.

With over 6000 presets,and multi efx on every MIDI channel,plus it combines some of there great synths and so many other things in one box.

I'm saving for it now!

Sent from my PC36100
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Roland D70 :

great filter, DLM process for aliasing sounds! and one of the best for pads & wide ambient sounds.
it's quite rare to find one, because it was expensive, uneasy to program and totally hidden by the Korg M1, T3... curiously, 20 years later, this Roland blows and sparkles, imho.
The U220 shares the same sound engine, but lacks the essential TVF filter and the controllers on the panel.
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
anyone know if the jd-990 has a VST editor?
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I dont know how the older ROMPLERS qualify as essential?

5080 being the oldest I'd go,maybe if this were a vintage Roland rompler thread.

But I think the newer sound sets are must have for Roland.they are really competitive,opposed to noisy alaising.

Though I understand alaising had its place,I don't want the op chasing their tale or shooting them self in the foot with to many over used and out dated samples,when the newer samples are EXCEPTIONAL!

Sent from my PC36100
Old 10th September 2012
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Basically, the Roland romplers build on top of each other. The latest one is the one you want, which would be the 5080, unless Integra is considered the replacement to the xV series. If you are looking for particular presets and not looking to program it yourself, then you will have to find that specific model.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
JD990, JD800 and a XV5080 and you got three classics. The 800 can be used to real time program the 990 which is the best digital synth made by Roland (add a D50 to complete the collection). The XV covers all classic Roland samples and lets you load the excellent Cdroms made by Eric Perching.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse ➑️
JD990, JD800 and a XV5080 and you got three classics. The 800 can be used to real time program the 990 which is the best digital synth made by Roland (add a D50 to complete the collection). The XV covers all classic Roland samples and lets you load the excellent Cdroms made by Eric Perching.
Come on stop it man!

Don't make me go on eBay looking for Roland CD-ROMS!

I still have my SCSI cd drive and zip drive!

You know I'm a recovering slut,why man whyI can't handle this!I'm very weak now....

Fading slow...

Help help please help

Sent from my PC36100
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The 5080 is much more highly evolved feature wise than a JD990 or a JD800....I picked one up for awhile but sold it shortly after not being satisfied with it;s inherent audio quailty in relation to the Jd. But Cooljay put up some origianl sounds that he cranked out of the 5080 a few months ago that made me wonder id I hadn't been wrong. I really never did explore the 5080 beyone what it offered when it arrived. Sometimes all it takes is to open up a filter a bit beyond a factor setting. Others have talked about the converters as the deal breaker.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To me the better romplers are the EMU boxes. I look at the 990 and the JD800 as synths more than romplers.
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam ➑️
...I look at the 990 and the JD800 as synths more than romplers.
do you now... and I just left this thread- https://gearspace.com/board/electron...rostation.html
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Roland romplers? There's nothing any of them can do that you can't get out of a modern VSTi. The VSTi advantage is you don't get hardware failures with software.

If you ask me, I'd rather spend my money on VSTi like U-he Diva and a good controller than some bag of bones hardware synth.

disclaimer: I own a lot of "bag of bones" synths and VSTi synths
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
To me the better romplers are the EMU boxes. I look at the 990 and the JD800 as synths more than romplers.
I didn't want to bring that up,but I own emulator x3 with all the old mophatt, planet earth, extreme lead etc,plus a new 13 gig synth collection.amazing!!!!!

Sent from my AT100 using Gearslutz App
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have so many korg romplers. some sounds can't be found in korg, such as roland's very sweet sakuhachi. If I were to choose another rompler to compliment my korg, it's Yamaha SY85 first. then Roland XP60 second.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The 5080 is much more highly evolved feature wise than a JD990 or a JD800....
"More highly evolved" doesn't mean much except that it is newer and different. The JD990 has cross mod functions that later JV and XV synths lack. For digital synthesis the JD990 is the most capable and best. For huge amounts of presets, you can take you pick of the later models. XV-5050 is a bargain these days.
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater ➑️
Roland romplers? There's nothing any of them can do that you can't get out of a modern VSTi. The VSTi advantage is you don't get hardware failures with software.
I would say that a computer (the hardware that runs your VSTs) is more likely to fail than any Roland rompler hardware. I have a JV-1080 that was made around 15+ years ago and still works perfectly.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think they messed with the fundamental sound quality with the JV series going on from the U220, D70 and JD800/JD990, too much data compression and trickery.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

100% JV-1080.
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitleyTM ➑️
100% JV-1080.
Very nice. Are those all presets (built-in or expansions) or did you program some? I didn't recognize some of the sounds, but I don't have any of the expansions.

That would be great if somebody would make a Lemur template for programming the 1080. It is too much of a pain in the butt to program using the interface. I only touch mine for the presets. On a rare occasion, I'll program something on it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold ➑️
"More highly evolved" doesn't mean much except that it is newer and different. The JD990 has cross mod functions that later JV and XV synths lack. For digital synthesis the JD990 is the most capable and best. For huge amounts of presets, you can take you pick of the later models. XV-5050 is a bargain these days.
Well thanks for that comment. i was playing devils advocate. The 5080 I had for a while never sounded like the JD800 I have here. There is something crystaline and magical about it.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Why just Roland btw? If you mention korg in the first post. One of the romplers I used to have in the 90s which did a lot of good work and had a different/weighty flavour (and good filters) Yamaha TG500. The first with 64 note poly when released too. The 1080 came out around the same time (or just after) and out sold it by a massive margin but the TG500 was a highly regarded piece nonetheless. (Basically an SY85 in a rack + more samples/polyphony) - or for that matter an SY85 with the quick performance sliders below the screen for instant filter sweeps etc...
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Pro5, I had the SY85. does TG500 have the same SPX900 effects?
the effects on SY85 was unbelievable ! the keybed, has the best feel ever. almost effortless aftertouch
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzxtreme ➑️
Pro5, I had the SY85. does TG500 have the same SPX900 effects?
the effects on SY85 was unbelievable ! the keybed, has the best feel ever. almost effortless aftertouch
Yes! it has the exact same sound as the SY85 but more Wave Rom (8mb vs 6mb if memory serves so a lot more sounds) and the same effects but twice the poly and more outputs

I've had both the SY85 and the TG500 (twice), and they are both good - I'm not normally into romplers but they had a nice sound, good filters and great effects. There's something about the sound and filters in the SY85 and TG500 that i've rarely heard on any other mere rompler of that era. (Yes the later JVs had more realistic acc sounds etc but I'm talking about synth sounds with a bit of vibe)

Old 11th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I use an SY85 as my main controller. Bought it new back when I was young. I am still in love - fantastic machine with great filters & effects as said above.
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitleyTM ➑️

100% JV-1080.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 ➑️
Very nice. Are those all presets (built-in or expansions) or did you program some? I didn't recognize some of the sounds, but I don't have any of the expansions.

That would be great if somebody would make a Lemur template for programming the 1080. It is too much of a pain in the butt to program using the interface. I only touch mine for the presets. On a rare occasion, I'll program something on it.
Thanks! I used an Experience card... don't know which one (of the two) I have, but I'll check if the JV can tell me... hold on.

Hm.

Isn't there an info display somewhere on which cards are installed? Anyway, it's the JV Xperience card starting with A-001 *Dy.Rhodes 1. Used that card as well as the old Dance! expansion for the drums. Usually program a lot of patches of my own but I think it was presets all the way here.

Lemme see. The performance is still in the machine;

XPA = The Xperience card
XPB = The Dance card

Part 01 | Bank XPB | Nr 200 |*Patch name AmbientPad 2
Part 02 | Bank XPB | Nr 225 |*Patch name Metalrezo Bs
Part 03 | Bank XPB | Nr 025 |*Patch name Soulmate 106
Part 04 | Bank XPA | Nr 075 |*Patch name *OB Soft Pad
Part 05 | Bank PRA | Nr 075 |*Patch name Mallet Pad
Part 06 | Bank PRA |*Nr 075 |*Patch name Mallet Pad
Part 07 | Bank XPA |*Nr 010 |*Patch name *Limonaire
Part 08 |*Bank GM |*Nr 012 |*Patch name Vibraphone
Part 09 |*Bank XPB |*Nr 187 |*Patch name Girl Ah
Part 10 |*Bank XPB |*Nr 5 |*Patch name Hip-Hop Set
Part 11 | Bank XPB |*Nr 076 |*Patch name Legato Synth
Part 12 |*Bank XPA |*Nr 064 |*Patch name *Slop-a-rama
Part 13 |*Bank XPA |*Nr 007 |*Patch name *SlyFamily B
Part 14 |*Bank GM |*Nr 064 |*Patch name SynthBrass 2
Part 15 |*Bank GM |*Nr 012 |*Patch name Vibraphone
Part 16 |*Bank PRB |*Nr 035 |*Patch name BritelowBass

presets and card sounds only this time.
Old 9th October 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
anyone want to discuss ROMplers in this oldish thread...??

I know they are pretty much dismissed these days in favor of analogs and modulars etc, but I love a good ROMpler, I have a run of the mill Roland Juno Di and I love it to bits, there are soooooooooooo many sounds in it that are very usable, I could never get bored with it, they make great soundscapes and fill machines imo, sure it might show some signs of aliasing right up on the higher notes but who cares, no one ever plays anything from that high up an octave anyway..do they..??
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'm getting a lot of use out of my JV-2080 and it doesn't even have any expansions!
πŸ“ Reply