Essential Roland romplers? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Essential Roland romplers?
Old 12th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by national theatre ➡️
Yeah, plus the D-20 isn't a rompler, it's a D-50 without PWM or cutoff LFOs and with a crippled effects unit, plus individual pitch LFOs and pitch envelopes for each partial and some extra PCM waves.

I have a JV-1010 and I like how it sounds. I wanted a JV-2080 because the UI is supposedly pretty good but hey, the engine is the same (plus some extra waves). Don't know about bitrates and sample rates, but it sounds good enough to me. I'm under the impression all Roland romplers are basically the same.
Yes technically you are right. However it did play and feel like a rompler and very simple workstation to me. Those extra PCM's came in handy for an all one board in those days....
Old 27th April 2020
Here for the gear

The pads on this were said to be made with a Roland Rompler. But which one, any guesses?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Old 27th April 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge_ ➡️
The pads on this were said to be made with a Roland Rompler. But which one, any guesses?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Roland JD-800?
Old 27th April 2020
Lives for gear

Roland is the only company to ever have made a rompler. It was called T-110 at Frankfurt as a prototype and it was later called U-110. That's the one. The rest of them? Synthesizers. Programmable instruments – and most of them with filters as well. Enough said. Don't ever use the word rompler again please.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitleyTM ➡️
Roland is the only company to ever have made a rompler. It was called T-110 at Frankfurt as a prototype and it was later called U-110. That's the one. The rest of them? Synthesizers. Programmable instruments – and most of them with filters as well. Enough said. Don't ever use the word rompler again please.
This seems like a silly reason to ban using a word in a way that the synth community has already come to recognize as a useful term for decades now.

Would you really rather have everyone referring to what we've collectively agreed "romplers" to mean as "synths that use samples instead of digitally-generated or analog oscillators, and typically provide various samples/patches of instruments and percussion" instead? Or, do you have another word you want everyone to use?
Old 27th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Instead of rompler we could use B.A.S.W.O.S.A.P.
Basically a synthesizer without oscilator sync and pulse width
That should catch on easily

yes ,yes the jd900 has osc,.sync
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 ➡️
Or, do you have another word you want everyone to use?
How about "synthesizer"?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Punishment ➡️
How about "synthesizer"?
The responses to this thread would have been quite different if it was titled "Essential Roland Synthesizers?" instead.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitleyTM ➡️
Happy to engage in a pointless, hair spliting discussion

Yes the U220 was a rompler.

My personal definition is if it has no filter/no way to "signifigantly" manipulate the waveforms its a "Rompler"
- so M1 is 100% a Rompler. same for all its cousins the 03/W, 05/W etc

01/W probably - very much almost the same....but i dont what to say that as
1) technically it has waveshaping
(although Ive never found anyone who ever acutally made use of that capabilty).

2) because I own an 01/w and like it and dont want to call it a bad name

I agree a lot of guys use the word "rompler" to describe a digital synth they just dont happen to like...

for example I want to call the Roland D110 and Kawai K1 Romplers as they didnt have filters and i really didnt like them- but thats just my unfair bias...

Other synths that get labled as romplers & shouldnt;
The Roland D70/MV30 - certainly based on the U220 but decent filter etc
Yamaha Sy85/Tg500 - also good filter
Kawai K4 - K4 is a great digital synth

Kawai Gmega - this should be a boring so-so 90s half module "rompler"- but it isnt!

If say, you were bored doing drunken ebay shopping one night and stupidly decided to waste money on buying a 90s GM half rack module, instead of a Roland sound canvas or Korg 0/w series this is the one you should buy.
The basic sound are suprisingly good for its vintage ( I use the Pianos quite a bit), it also has a good filter also has stuff like AM systhesis.
(I dont know what that is because Ive never tried it but apparently its a very unusual feature on a synth and it certanly sounds like a cool thing to do anyway).
Old 28th April 2020
Deleted cc546d2
I got a XV5080 at the beginning of the pandemic and it's the ish. Love it
Old 28th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKrishna ➡️
My personal definition is if it has no filter/no way to "signifigantly" manipulate the waveforms its a "Rompler"
- so M1 is 100% a Rompler same for all its cousins the 03/W, 05/W etc
Except the M1, 01/W, Triton, Trinity etc have "filters". As does the Kurzweil K2XX, Roland JD990/800, JV/XVxxxx, and even the Sound Canvas.

But the presence of a "filter" doesn't mean there's no way to modify the sound coming from their principal tone sources - you touched on the Kawai K1, but that also follows other "synthesizers" like the entire Yamaha DX and Casio CZ/VZ series.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Punishment ➡️
Except the M1, 01/W, Triton, Trinity etc have "filters". As does the Kurzweil K2XX, Roland JD990/800, JV/XVxxxx, and even the Sound Canvas.

But the presence of a "filter" doesn't mean there's no way to modify the sound coming from their principal tone sources - you touched on the Kawai K1, but that also follows other "synthesizers" like the entire Yamaha DX and Casio CZ/VZ series.

I did qualify it with cant "signifigantly" alter the waveform (again a subjective point) so agree with you - K1, D110 are very "romplerish" but are not. Wavestation no filter but lots of waveform fiddling possible so also definitely not a rompler.
Nor are PD, FM/FZ synths by definition, because they dont hold a waveform in Rom.

Please note this is just ment to be light hearted discussion as I really think its pretty much a pejorative and subjective term, I have my own quirky, rules-dont care at all what anyone else wants to describe there equipment as, just thought it was funny to discuss.

BTW
filters - M1, 01/W, wavestation----no
filters - Triton, Trinity---yes
Old 28th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
calling something a ROMpler does not exclude the fact its also a digital subtractive synthesizer on larger scale.

it just means on oscillator level it uses samples read from ROM. as oposed to a sampler that allows use of user sampled material. that's how the term originated. hence i don't see it as derogatory or limiting at all.

the notion that terminology somehow rose from incapability for programming, or lacking a filter, i.e. a negative conotation, is historically incorrect.

even samplers can technically be synthesizers. and have filters and modulations. admittedly, some have rather pedestrian possibilities but some are mega deep (like EOS or Kurz) and surpass many synthesizers in flexibility.

thing is, in practice, we still need means to designate what subgroup of synthesizing machines, based on general principle of sound generation, are we discussing.

for example, if i want to know what's your favorite early 90s rompler, and ask for favorite early 90s "synthesizer" instead - i somehow ain't going to get the answer i was looking for

in rare cases, line is blurred as they offer a combination sandwich of more types of synthesis. for ex, Yamaha SY77/99. both a classic fm (pm), and standard subtractive ROMpler. so depending on the context, i.e. thread topic, we can witness it being referred to as either.

Quote:
FYI
filters - M1, 01/W----no
filters - Triton, Trinity---yes

FYI

filters - M1, 01W ----yes
resonance M1, 01W --no
filters and resonance Triton Trinity ----yes
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➡️

FYI

filters - M1, 01W ----yes
resonance M1, 01W --no
filters and resonance Triton Trinity ----yes
ohhh that is SUPER hairsplity, but fair call, nice one!

Ok how about ....

filter with resonance or that is of any real use - M1, 01W --no
filter - Triton Trinity ----yes

Old 28th April 2020
Deleted d6ffc70
As someone who proudly owns a large collection of Roland Romplers (The JV1080 is my Favorite, I own 3 of them)

To me I use Rompler as a term of endearment

Just embrace it

And FWIW I also consider , D110, and D50 as Romplers

And the SuperNatural Synth engine in the Jupiter 80 and Interga 7 is not a VA it's a Rompler. It is just a new and cool way to have samples in a synth engine
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike ➡️
As someone who proudly owns a large collection of Roland Romplers (The JV1080 is my Favorite, I own 3 of them)

To me I use Rompler as a term of endearment

Just embrace it

And FWIW I also consider , D110, and D50 as Romplers

And the SuperNatural Synth engine in the Jupiter 80 and Interga 7 is not a VA it's a Rompler. It is just a new and cool way to have samples in a synth engine
A HERETIC

No way I can agree with this ....... otherwise my beloved V-synth would get lumped into you huge, unattractive "rompler' box, and that would make me sad....

Actually two I personally struggle with to catagorise;
Roland SH-32 - fixed waveforms but filtery and sort of VA but not really.
M-audio Venom - very almost but not quite VA , as i understand it, not modelled
but does have fixed waveforms but very filterable and moddable.

BTW what can you do with 3 JV1080s???- i fell a bit excessive having both a xv5080 and jd990....
Old 28th April 2020
SonicCell FTW!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

for example I want to call the Roland D110 and Kawai K1 Romplers as they didnt have filters and i really didnt like them- but thats just my unfair bias...
D-110 (.../10/20/50) has TVF - a filter.
📝 Reply