Essential Roland romplers?
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love my JD-990!
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have an Integra-7 and I use it very often. Love it to pieces as well!
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To each his own, but I think the sound of my JD990 and D50 crushes any modern analog stuff.
Old 9th October 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
gee the JD 990 gets a lot of mentions when romplers come up...
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think keyboardwise, the D-50, JV80, JD-800, and the JV-8000 Define Roland's 90's sounds for synths....
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
JV-1080/2080
XP-50/60/80 (same synth engine but in keyboard workstation format)

the XVs are updates of the above, I believe. But the 1080 is from 95 -- very 90s.
Old 9th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ ➑️
I think keyboardwise, the D-50, JV80, JD-800, and the JV-8000 Define Roland's 90's sounds for synths....
D-50 was 1987, definitely late 80s sounds there. Beaucoup newer stuff by the 90s.
Old 9th October 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
The Roland M-SE1 has an original wavetable that wasn't included on any other romplers (I think?), and sounds really good.
Old 9th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz ➑️
gee the JD 990 gets a lot of mentions when romplers come up...
...for a reason!
Old 9th October 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I thought I'd abandoned ROMplers (I've owned a Roland U-220, various GR models, MC-307, XV-5050, and my last, a SonicCell) in favor of ITB solutions for such things, but recently I picked up an E-MU Mo'Phatt because I was interested in exploring it's z-plane filters, which aside from Emulator X software, is something not found on any software synthesizer.

I'm torn about it. While on one hand, it is cheap, and able to create some amazing sounds not typical of your generic Yamaha, Korg or Roland ROMplers. However programming it, even with the Prodatum software editor, feels like math homework. A lot of it's ROM memory is also taken up by percussion sounds, which isn't what I'm interested in, but of course I could always add another ROM card or two. I'm on the fence about abandoning it, or augmenting it.

I never took to Korg ROMplers. My brother has a Motif based piano/workstation thing that sounds really good, but for some reason I always gravitated toward the Roland stuff. The one I really miss is the XV-5050, though I only miss it until I load up a good VST like Omnisphere or Wusikstation. Even Dimension Pro will give me enough of that "taste" without having to have a box in my studio and I don't really find any Roland ROMpler has some sonic edge over software. Mostly I miss it because it had some really cool ROM data and expertly created patches.
Old 10th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by midiquestions ➑️
D-50 was 1987, definitely late 80s sounds there. Beaucoup newer stuff by the 90s.
LOL. I knew someone would point this out. This forum is funny that way. But I got mine in 1990 on sale for $1,000US new with a free D-50 card. And the D-50 was still in the wild but had been slowly strangled by the KORG M-1. Plus the D-50 is only sorta a rompler. Great synth none the less. Roland's first rompler was actually the D-20, love that synth as well.
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
gee the JD 800 is a sexy beast for a Rompler...

Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had the XV5080 a few years ago (my how time flies). I didn't mesh with that thing at all. Didin't like the sound either. Ironically, I picked up a JD800 about a year after that and I love hat thing to death. I'm talking about sonics here. I know the 5080 is loaded with features, maybe I nneded to get into it and "discover it".but it didn't have that fizzy thing that the JD has. I'm about to sell the JD800 and grab a 990. I would also like to get a 1080 because it's kind of unique and I think it has something going on from what I have read and a couple of demos that I have heard. Roland is my "go to" number one team for satisfaction. These guys have delivered 110% for many years. Can't always get it right, but overall, outstanding.

**Discalimer** this thread is kinda old and I see that I made some comments earlier. The Emulator X3 (Creative crap Inc.) isn't the old school stuff from the Cali based E-mu crew. And,, the rompler sounds that the P2500 stuff and the Planet Earth series was all about were really outstanding samples. And I consider those instruments to be designed as smple playback devices primarily (with some tweaking possible).. The Roland stuff (starting with the 1080) were rompler based, but also wanted to be synths, and they are in that regard. Tools are tools, and you collect the ones that you need. The best samples come from the E-mu stuff.

And don't dismiss the Yamaha CS6R for some great samples (maybe off topic)
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think that the Kurzweil K2600 was the pinacle of rompler technology, of course they do a lot more so maybe they don't strictly count as a rompler?
Old 10th October 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I have a Roland U-110, it's good fun.
Some cool demos of the patches on synthmania. (+ I always loved demo 3 (cloud9) but wondered if it could really be done with the machine)
It aliases a fair bit but it's part of the charm.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam ➑️
**Discalimer** this thread is kinda old and I see that I made some comments earlier. The Emulator X3 (Creative crap Inc.) isn't the old school stuff from the Cali based E-mu crew.
Hmmmm.. X3, even if released after the creative takeover, is still based on the Emu technology, and while it may have fewer than some of the emu romplers, it does have 30+ nice z-plane filters, and it's a software sampler that actually samples. My copy has it's own pc dedicated to it, and I use it essentially as an OTB sampler, sequenced from an MPC, but with an excellent gui interface. Kinda like a modern emu version of a roland series.

It doesn't play as well being used as a VST run from a sequencer on the same computer, but on a dedicated pc it rocks.
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have the Roland XV-3080. It contains many patches from the JV series and possibly all the JV-waveforms pluss new XV waveforms. And if you are familiar to the JV-1080/XP-30/XP-50 you will feel right at home with this, because it's navigation is pretty much identical.
I got mine loaded with Drum & Bass, Pop, Vintage synth, Session -JV boards, and the world collection and studio XV boards. I even dumped all my user patches from my old XP-30 and loaded it right into the XV, worked right away from the card.

I really recommend the XV-3080, the XV5080's little brother. It's nice to have a rompler like this. Very easy to use and program. But on paper I would probably recommend the Integra-7. If you buy a fully expanded XV-3080 it won't be too far off the price of a new Integra-7, at least here in Norway.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Integra 7 is only Roland rompler one would ever need.
Probably it is also the end of romplers as of old school sound modules.
I didn't need it badly, but it is very convincing and usable. Kudos to Roland.
Deleted b788fee
Deleted 9b8a453
Roland's first ROMpler was the U110.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ ➑️
LOL. I knew someone would point this out. This forum is funny that way. But I got mine in 1990 on sale for $1,000US new with a free D-50 card. And the D-50 was still in the wild but had been slowly strangled by the KORG M-1. Plus the D-50 is only sorta a rompler. Great synth none the less. Roland's first rompler was actually the D-20, love that synth as well.
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Yeah, plus the D-20 isn't a rompler, it's a D-50 without PWM or cutoff LFOs and with a crippled effects unit, plus individual pitch LFOs and pitch envelopes for each partial and some extra PCM waves.

I have a JV-1010 and I like how it sounds. I wanted a JV-2080 because the UI is supposedly pretty good but hey, the engine is the same (plus some extra waves). Don't know about bitrates and sample rates, but it sounds good enough to me. I'm under the impression all Roland romplers are basically the same.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by national theatre ➑️
Yeah, plus the D-20 isn't a rompler, it's a D-50 without PWM or cutoff LFOs and with a crippled effects unit, plus individual pitch LFOs and pitch envelopes for each partial and some extra PCM waves.

I have a JV-1010 and I like how it sounds. I wanted a JV-2080 because the UI is supposedly pretty good but hey, the engine is the same (plus some extra waves). Don't know about bitrates and sample rates, but it sounds good enough to me. I'm under the impression all Roland romplers are basically the same.
The 2080's UI is very good! You can actually program it from the front panel and it doesn't take much menu diving.
Deleted 9b8a453
I have one too, I got it many, many years ago from before people traded online. I haven't used it for years though which is a shame. I think my opinion of it was skewed by the negative comments about it online, and also "Friday the 13th - the series" which I think used one for most of the soundtrack, with cheesy results.

However, I think that with a new battery, a new LCD*, and some new cards, it would be a fun machine again.

I have seen new card available for it on a website, I forget where...

*it is faded like most LCD's of this era...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sine ➑️
I have a Roland U-110, it's good fun.
Some cool demos of the patches on synthmania. (+ I always loved demo 3 (cloud9) but wondered if it could really be done with the machine)
It aliases a fair bit but it's part of the charm.
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i'm considering replacing a pair of jv-1010's and a fantom-xr with a new integra-7. i'm not quite ready to pull the trigger but i think about it every day
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi,

Having a Roland Rompler is a good thing. For quite some years I didn't have any Roland Romplers in my studio setup, although I had the XV5080 in the past, and surely missed it.

So, after a bit of head scratching, and GAS contribution, I decided to buy the latest Integra 7 module.

It arrived this week. and will be honored to sit in a comfortable rack space in the studio. Currently re-organizing and cabling my studio, (not much fun), but as soon as I'm done, I am sure I will have a blast with it.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 11th October 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I've got an XP-30 and can say it is a pretty neat rompler - with 4 expansion card slots you can get a stack of sounds in that synth. The board itself is solid and well built (compared to the plasticy XP-10 which I also own, the XP-30 is probably twice as heavy). The interface on the XP-30 is actually quite good - I find it easy to craft a sound using many effects and modulation settings it has to offer. The filter is also nice.

There's just something about the Roland sound that I love. It is the same with Moog also. They are distinct and always sound beautiful in the mix.
Old 11th October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i have a jd990 and an xv5080, but it's the mc909 that gets the most use. a typical roland synth engine with knobs, sliders, sequencer, sampling and a large display? that's some good stuff. plus there's a free editor that restores the full mod matrix. it's not quite a 5080 and it lacks the osc sync of the 990, but it's still a helluva package. roll tide.
Old 11th October 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I like on my Juno Di that the screen turns it's self off when I'm not playing it, great Idea Roland, do they do that on other machines does anyone know..?
Old 11th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold ➑️
Hmmmm.. X3, even if released after the creative takeover, is still based on the Emu technology, and while it may have fewer than some of the emu romplers, it does have 30+ nice z-plane filters, and it's a software sampler that actually samples. My copy has it's own pc dedicated to it, and I use it essentially as an OTB sampler, sequenced from an MPC, but with an excellent gui interface. Kinda like a modern emu version of a roland series.

It doesn't play as well being used as a VST run from a sequencer on the same computer, but on a dedicated pc it rocks.
That's actually pretty cool that you have that going on. I got very dissilusioned by the whole E-mu software X stuff early on. I have it here right now, but i also have a fully loaded P2500 command station, and an E6400Ultra. What you did with dedicating a PC to being a sampling machine is really what I was wanting to do also. That was a few years ago, and i had visions of using that same stand alone PC to run Tascam Giga Studio (wow was I deluded).

Out of all of this trial and error, the E6400 Ultra is the clear winner for me. The issue for me with the X series Emulator sampler software was the sound quality. The library is there, but is it the same? I listened to lots of it and it didn't seem to have that same depth compared to the hardware (it sounded thin). I also have the original "Planet Earth" hardware module wih the World instuments rom. I have honestly yet to hear any ethnic samples that come close to those ones. They are exceptional.
Old 11th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz ➑️
I like on my Juno Di that the screen turns it's self off when I'm not playing it, great Idea Roland, do they do that on other machines does anyone know..?
maybe on other battery-powered stuff? korg microsampler also has this feature. mc909 and vsynth and a few other keyboards have screensavers.
πŸ“ Reply