Quantcast
How To Program Early 90s Drum Patterns? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How To Program Early 90s Drum Patterns?
Old 9th September 2012

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I know nothing about Abelton Live, but i've worked with drum machines and samplers since the 80's, and now use software samplers etc. The principles are all the same.

Most drum machines have very short sounds that, once triggered, played full length. A lot of drum machines only responded to midi Note On events, and ignored Midi Note Off.

Software samplers sometimes are a bit crap for drums if they force you to hold the note down. Although often the behavior is selectable - read your manual.

I find it much more normal and preferable for a drum sample player (talking about single shot samples, just like a real drum machine) if the note just triggers the sample regardless of how long your note length is.

Of course, there are musical reasons to want to cut off a playing sample. Choking a cymbal, or High Hats that open and close are good reasons to want to stop a sample playing. The best way to control this is with "Mute Groups" (or whatever name is given for the particular product you are using). This is basically like Monophonic behaviour on a synth - if you assign different pads or samples to the same mute group, they can't all play at once. If you trigger a new sample, it cuts of the previous sample. So you could create a sample of silence, and choke a cymbal by triggering the silence at the exact point you want it to stop. It can sound really cool to assign a kick and snare to a mute group, or all your toms etc. Probably an 80's thing to do, but I still think it's cool.'

If you work this way, length of notes becomes completely irrelevant. I generally just use a midi sequencer function to force all my drum notes to a Fixed length - and often I just picky 64th notes or some length, because it doesn't matter. The only reason I do this is because it becomes messy to edit midi data if the notes are too long and overlap.

I hope this helps your understanding of what to do ...

If your software forces you to use note lengths, the only rule is to make them long enough to hear what you want to hear. And bear in mind that the timing of the Note Off is just as important to the groove as the timing of the Note On. So if you quantise notes, remember to quantize the Note Ends as well as the Note starts. (That's if you can't work the way I recommend above).

Sounds like you should probably learn some drumming basics - there will be plenty of tutorials on the net about playing drums.

If you can play beats with your hands on a surface, then you might benefit from getting a drum pad and playing in stuff by hand. Then, you can tighten them up with midi editing.

If you are playing basic kick and snare parts, probably you won't use anything more than 1/4 notes. It won't matter if you quantise to 1/4 o r 1/8 or 1/16th or whatever - if your playing was close enough, they will all get moved to the correct 1/4 note. But if your timing is a bit sloppy, use the lowest resolution that works. Or be prepared to shift the odd note to the grid.
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grummy77 ➑️
Oh **** sorry yeah. If you want the full drum sample to play every time you trigger that note no matter how long or short of a MIDI note. Open up the decay of all your samples all the way.

P.S. Whoops I ment REALEASE. Open up the Release all the way.
I'm not sure what you mean. I thought you were originally saying that Impulse, Drum Racks, & Step Sequencers were automatically set to a default of using only a Note On message for making drum patterns.
Old 9th September 2012
Deleted 7a0e5c3
Back in the days I used 909 drum samples and some 808 percussion samples from the Akai S3000xl. Hihat patterns had 'medium grooveshuffle' in Cubase to have them swing.
Some individual compression on kick and claps. A touch of short plate reverb on clap and percussion. For the live feel I always added some kind of disco or latin percussion loop from one of the many Zero G sample CDs.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha ➑️
Actually, yes, more than a few of them did.
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
this is a _great_ troll thread.

if OP is offended, he can come to Knobcon and i will personally show him on my own gear exactly how those beats were made, for free.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️
Cool, I'm happy that I could return the favor for once.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hi
drum midi websites like Groove Monkee can help.
Register and download samples of the grooves then you can learn and even buy a package, I think they have a sale right now.

Good Luck and on this playground it's better to not bother with the bullies
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just FYI, there is a forum for newbies here at GS.

Newbie audio engineering & production question zone (trial beta forum) - Gearslutz.com

You did get an answer, but with a few flames on the way.
You choose where you feel like posting, but it's there if you feel you can use it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha ➑️
Actually, yes, more than a few of them did......
Epic-like Don Solaris' tuna town!
Old 9th September 2012
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Secret to nineties techno beat programming: Get an MPC2000/3000 and read the manual.

MPC can assign velocity, filter cutoff, amp decay and tuning to the sixteen pads. Do that and start tapping pads for beat dynamics.

Actually this has never been any kind of secret. All of these options are documented in the manual.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catabolic ➑️
Epic-like Don Solaris' tuna town!
Epic sentence-length, if nothing else!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Just go to rebirthmuseum, download ReBirth (for free), and practice. Then you'll get a grip on the basics.
r,j,
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Most of my drum programming is 'one shot'. AKA, the drum program plays the whole sample whatever the note length or release/sustain settings.
Probably one of the most important aspects of creating a dance track is your choice of sounds.
So if your bass drum is too long, booming etc, it's likely you've chosen a too long sample or sound.
Of course you can shorten it by reducing sustain/release, but it's probably easier and more appropriate to find a drum sound that fits your needs more immediately, without too much editing or eq'ing.
πŸ“ Reply