Quantcast
korg microSTATION - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
korg microSTATION
Old 8th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
korg microSTATION

zzounds.com has the korg microSTATION new for $400 paid in $99 installments. ive been wanting a work station for awhile and my hands are kinda small.. the microkorg keys are perfect for my hands. i also like the fact that it uses sd cards. i plan on making german style EBM. ie. das ich, schallenfaktor, e-craft, etc. anyone have any experiance with it?
Old 8th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
*bump*
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

watch and learn

Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think it's (microstation) mainly aimed at keyboard players and hobbyists who want bread and butter sounds. For dance music production you need real synths and samplers. For more tweakability.
Old 8th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➡️
I think it's (microstation) mainly aimed at keyboard players and hobbyists who want bread and butter sounds. For dance music production you need real synths and samplers. For more tweakability.
it is a real synth...watch the video...look at the edit capabilities and then explain how this is not a synth!

it may not be the best most rich full featured synth on planet earth...and doesn't have a ton of knobs/sliders like a roland gaia for example...but it does synthesise it's sounds...it's not a basic rompler for example.

for the price it's pretty feature rich and based synth engine on the korg m50 workstation
Old 8th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➡️
watch and learn

wow, it has ALOT more than i expected for only $400
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SonicState's text-review was pretty positive with a few minor exceptions:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2010/...tation-review/

Actually, there’s not too many downsides I can think of,
obviously if small keys ain’t your thing, then you’ll need
to look elsewhere. My only real gripe is that there is no
octave transpose buttons. I’m told you can setup one of
the assignable knobs to affect the coarse pitch of both
oscillators, but its not the same is it? Surprisingly I
found it eminently usable and quite an enjoyable
instrument to use. If my M1 or 01/W had been this good I’d
have been over the moon.
I guess if you need a small bit powerful unit to work on
composition or as a way to access a bunch of sounds you
don’t already have - eg workstationy, keyboardy, synthy -
then this is a pretty good bet.
Old 8th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
the sequencer and fact that it takes sd cards to save patches, settings and has a VSTi plugin to edit/control it makes me drool over it for the $400 price tag
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I forget what the patch is called, but the microstation has one of my favorite piano patches. This workstation is underrated, i see them go for 300 used now, cant beat the bang for the buck. Grab it and make some bangers

Sent from my DROID4 using Gearslutz App
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
it is a real synth...watch the video...look at the edit capabilities and then explain how this is not a synth!

it may not be the best most rich full featured synth on planet earth...and doesn't have a ton of knobs/sliders like a roland gaia for example...but it does synthesise it's sounds...it's not a basic rompler for example.

for the price it's pretty feature rich and based synth engine on the korg m50 workstation
Nope. The Microstation is officially a workstation not a synth. That is how it is classified by Korg.

The Microstation is based on the EDSI engine which like most other modern workstations/romplers is a "sample + synthesis" engine. The majority of workstations can do basic synthesis but they shouldn't be confused with synthesisers.
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope. The Microcontrol is officially a workstation not a synth. That is how it is classified by Korg.

The Microcontrol is based on the EDSI engine which like most other modern workstations/romplers is a "sample + synthesis" engine. The majority of workstations can do basic synthesis but they shouldn't be confused with synthesisers.
you mis understand your own answer....

each to your own opinions of course but if you can synthersise with the "workstation" it's a synth...you can use only synth type waves no samples if you wish..again i'd urge you to watch the video.
the microstation is not a rompler...it has samples correct...but it also has the option NOT to use them and be more creative if you wish

a sy77 was a workstsation...it is also a synth, based around the FM engine of the DX7 plus it has waves...i used to have one back in the 90's they are not mutually exclusive you know!

i think you're confusing the term "workstation" with "rom player"....a workstation can be a synth...the korg kronos has several synth's inside it and that's considered a workstation...

anyhow...what ever...enjoy the weekend!
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
you mis understand your own answer....
Within the realms of impossiblity. Speak for yourself.

Quote:
each to your own opinions of course but if you can synthersise with the "workstation" it's a synth...you can use only synth type waves no samples if you wish..again i'd urge you to watch the video.
the microstation is not a rompler...it has samples correct...but it also has the option NOT to use them and be more creative if you wish

a sy77 was a workstsation...it is also a synth, based around the FM engine of the DX7 plus it has waves...i used to have one back in the 90's they are not mutually exclusive you know!

i think you're confusing the term "workstation" with "rom player"....a workstation can be a synth...the korg kronos has several synth's inside it and that's considered a workstation...

anyhow...what ever...enjoy the weekend!
You are clearly showing your confusion here. A keyboard is either a synth or a Workstation. The two are wholly distinct. And like I already mentioned to you most workstations do have simplfied synth engines. That's why they are called workstations. Do you even understand what a Workstation is?

Let me put into easy to decipher examples for yourself.

Microstation = Workstation
Microkorg = Synthesiser

Korg Kronos, Korg Triton, Yamaha Motif, Roland Jupiter 80/50, Roland Fantom = Workstations

Roland Gaia, Korg Radias, Yamaha An1x = Synthesisers

Korg themselves have clearly said the Microstation is a workstation based on its feature set including the on board sequencer and multisampler. So I guess Korg must be idiots for not knowing what their own product is? You are clearly at pulling straws here. It is a workstation.
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

You are clearly showing your confusion here. A keyboard is either a synth or a Workstation. The two are wholly distinct. And like I already mentioned to you most workstations do have simplfied synth engines. That's why they are called workstations. Do you even understand what a Workstation is?

Microkorg = Synthesiser

Korg Kronos, Korg Triton, Yamaha Motif, Roland Jupiter 80/50, Roland Fantom = Workstations

Korg themselves have clearly said the Microstation is a workstation based on its feature set including the on board sequencer and multisampler. So I guess Korg must be idiots for not knowing what their own product is? You are clearly at pulling straws here. It is a workstation.
woah.. i didnt start this thread to have it turn into an argument.. both of you take a chill pill!
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesizer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_workstation

from the wiki
"The concept of a music sequencer combined with a synthesizer"
see? not difficult to understand at all.

your quote "And like I already mentioned to you most workstations do have simplfied synth engines"

simplified?....really..oh dear...i give in trying to explain then....
kronos: simplified?
sy77: simplified?

roland gaia: does indeed have a simple VA engine...unlike the 6 operator DX7 FM engine inside my sy77 i used to own.

the thing i'm taking issue with you here is that you dismiss "workstations" as having no capable real synthesis abilities, which is too simplistic a viewpoint..some workstations are little more than sample lib players and this is where i will agree with you on the "simple" capabilities but other workstation have decent, flexible synthesis engines that compare well to stand alone synthesisers that have no sequencer.

the korg microstation has a capable synth engine

okay it's getting silly...you win black is white and up is down!
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why don't you go argue with Korg instead and tell them not to label it a workstation. You really are childish!

You should also knock on Roland's door for calling the Jupiter 80 a workstation not a synthesiser.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

You are clearly showing your confusion here. A keyboard is either a synth or a Workstation. The two are wholly distinct.
Dear Christ. So the Kurzweil K2600XS is not a synth after all then. Just like the Yamaha SY77 cresshead mentioned. I get it.

Wow. Forums are fun.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why don't you go argue with Korg instead and tell them not to label it a workstation. You really are childish!

You should also knock on Roland's door for calling the Jupiter 80 a workstation not a synthesiser.
i have no issue with korg, yamaha or roland or the label "workstation"

the issue i have have is with your labelling of "what" a workstation is and how it can generate it's sounds.

your quote " The majority of workstations can do basic synthesis but they shouldn't be confused with synthesisers."

this is just too simplistic a viewpoint to hold true for all "workstations"

again...read the wiki.
Old 9th September 2012
Deleted 60622ed
I dont have much to add but after owning a micro-x i really rate Korgs little budget synths...if you want to make EDM thats a great little sound box
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i have no issue with korg, yamaha or roland or the label "workstation"

the issue i have have is with your labelling of "what" a workstation is and how it can generate it's sounds.

your quote " The majority of workstations can do basic synthesis but they shouldn't be confused with synthesisers."

this is just too simplistic a viewpoint to hold true for all "workstations"

again...read the wiki.
Again you fail to comprehend simple english. I clearly did not say "all", I said the "majority", including with particular emphasis the Microstation. Which obviously means they are exceptions. So let me repeat myself most workstations have some form of synthesis on board.

For example you have flagship keyboards like the Korg Kronos which has the Korg Legacy Collection synths on board. The Kronos is by definition a Workstation and not a synth. What makes it a Workstation is the fact that or does a lot more than mere synthesis.

Same with the Trinity which allowed add-on boards for Moss Synthesis.
Old 9th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Please stop this stupid, pointless, autistic argument not helping anyone!!!

So a TG77 is a synth because it lacks the sequencer of the SY77, being not a synth for its sequencer, while they share the very same and very deep synth engine???

A Korg Microstation is very definitely a synth, offering you a rather deep synth engine for its price, allowing you to to synthesize sounds despite its build in sequencer. It sounds very, very good for the price you pay and can produce a very wide, an very editable, range of sounds!!!!

A tuner/amplifier is an amplifier, despite the fact also a tuner is built inside. A workstation or server is a computer, offering extra functionality.

Forgive me my bad English but I sometimes go mad with 'politically correct' posts on diverse forums.
Old 9th September 2012
Deleted 60622ed
I think its a trumpet
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha ➡️
Dear Christ. So the Kurzweil K2600XS is not a synth after all then. Just like the Yamaha SY77 cresshead mentioned. I get it.

Wow. Forums are fun.
It's a real shocker. They gotta be high on something. Why does Kurzweil even call it a workstation?

"The K2600X is a complete workstation, allowing the user to work from concept to completion without changing stations."
Product: K2600X | Kurzweil
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's a real shocker. They gotta be high on something. Why does Kurzweil even call it a workstation?

"The K2600X is a complete workstation, allowing the user to work from concept to completion without changing stations."
Product: K2600X | Kurzweil
Thanks for clearing that up. I now understand that since the K2600X is a workstation, it cannot be a real synth. After all, how could it be two things at the same time, ie a workstation and a synth?? Impossible!!! Neither is it a keyboard, and it is most certainly not a musical instrument, seeing as it is a workstation.

My girlfriend drives a cute convertible. I used to erroneously think of this vehicle as a "car," but now I understand that it cannot possibly be a car, seeing as it is a convertible.

Were you by any chance exposed to a lot of mercury when you were little?
Old 10th September 2012
Quote:
You are clearly showing your confusion here. A keyboard is either a synth or a Workstation. The two are wholly distinct...
wow........ I'm just going to try and pretend I never read this thread
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha ➡️
Thanks for clearing that up. I now understand that since the K2600X is a workstation, it cannot be a real synth. After all, how could it be two things at the same time, ie a workstation and a synth?? Impossible!!! Neither is it a keyboard, and it is most certainly not a musical instrument, seeing as it is a workstation.

My girlfriend drives a cute convertible. I used to erroneously think of this vehicle as a "car," but now I understand that it cannot possibly be a car, seeing as it is a convertible.

Were you by any chance exposed to a lot of mercury when you were little?
Do you drive a 'car' or an 'engine'?
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A train wreck where the train won't stop moving.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have been a member of a few internet forums over the last decade or so and have seen more than a few real classics in that time, but Miscend's posts on this thread are definitely among the very best I've ever had the fortune of coming across. Awesome stuff.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So, the bagel I had this morning wasn't breakfast, it was a bagel...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf ➡️
So, the bagel I had this morning wasn't breakfast, it was a bagel...
Yes. You therefore haven't had breakfast yet today, and should find something to eat quickly (you know you should never miss breakfast! )
Deleted b788fee
Quote:

Microkorg = Synthesiser

No.

A workstation is called that because it usually offers sequencing and sometimes sampling ... Anyway, these are all marketing terms and just a way to categorize products that are often fairly similar ... In most workstations there is synthesis going on ... It's just that many prefer their "synth sounds" not to start as sampled waves or have a UI with more knobs and sliders or some other factor to differentiate between "synths" and "workstations."

These are all "synthesizers," though. Maybe not to you. But for speed of communication, some get classified as workstations because they tend to favor certain types of musical situations or applications ...

And every one of them are instruments as well ... Whether it's the one you need or want is another matter ...

With all the features and sound-creation possibilities available today, if you can't make music on just about any piece of gear, you are simply not creative enough ...

On the other hand, some electronic instruments may provide a more direct path to certain results ...

It's all how you use it ... No need to get caught up in terminology ...
📝 Reply