Quantcast
korg microSTATION - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
korg microSTATION
Old 6th March 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Interesting little piece of synth (or whatever :D ), I just wish they would have made it with a bigger display, so the workstation aspects got played out a little bit more.

I am not the biggest fan of using computer editors for my synths..
Old 6th March 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I had one for quite a while -
Great for live gigs - light, small and portable. The dub bass patch with pitchbend used to be a PA buster.

All the sounds did the job, stock sounds better than average. The programming could get very deep with the editor but a bitch to use. Really fiddly.

Great fx. Sequencer not really used - felt a pointless addition.

After I stopped playing live it never worked its way into a studio rig so I sold it.

Do miss it, was really handy bit if kit.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ ➡️
Uhmmm. Because it's fun....
Driving a car is also fun. It's even more if it can bring you from A to B, isn't it? I mean: it would be fun to drive a 20l/100km car in the present but in the end you may want to exchange it for a less wasteful one. (the gearslut cycle?)

But yes, you're right. I thought this answer would be a little bit too short.
Its so great to play instantly instead of having the need to search through samples on the computer - the easy-factor is quite big. And the mini keys are perfect. I'm able to play faster than on regular sized keys. (the distance between an octave remains the same though) That's a big PRO too.

What stuck out today was the microtune function. It seems not to detune the OSC(s) but the whole patch.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egoless Music ➡️
Driving a car is also fun. It's even more if it can bring you from A to B, isn't it? I mean: it would be fun to drive a 20l/100km car in the present but in the end you may want to exchange it for a less wasteful one. (the gearslut cycle?)

But yes, you're right. I thought this answer would be a little bit too short.
Its so great to play instantly instead of having the need to search through samples on the computer - the easy-factor is quite big. And the mini keys are perfect. I'm able to play faster than on regular sized keys. (the distance between an octave remains the same though) That's a big PRO too.

What stuck out today was the microtune function. It seems not to detune the OSC(s) but the whole patch.
Yes... The microtune function is huge on the microstation.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle201 ➡️
Interesting little piece of synth (or whatever :D ), I just wish they would have made it with a bigger display, so the workstation aspects got played out a little bit more.

I am not the biggest fan of using computer editors for my synths..
They did. It's called the Korg Kross. Same sound engine with full sized keys and a bigger graphic display. Unfortunately they did away with the spring loaded joystick and the quick edit knobs.
Old 6th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm a fan of the little microStation. It was my main couch synth for a while. I love the keyboard - very easy for me to lay down tracks with fat 7th and 9th chords and not stress my wrists. The downside, which frequently seems to be Korg's Achilles Heel, is the sequencer. It was incredibly tedious and required entirely too much menu diving. But, it had great bread and butter sounds and was easy to tweak.

Going all the way back to the SQD-1, Korg just can't seem to build a damn decent polyphonic, multitrack sequencer (Though they nailed the step sequencer with the earlier Electribes).
Old 7th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^they nailed the sequencer for the drum sounds on the Electribes, not so much for the synths, that one is a bit more complicated. There are simpler ones with a bunch of knobs.

How is the drum sequencer on the MicroStation? The same but you choose the sound with the keyboard?
Old 7th March 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Compared to the microstation the ER-1 is more suited for live performance. Yes, you can choose the drumsound while holding the 'key'-knob. The microstation has no drumpads - the knobs of the stepsequencer 'click'. So U can only set them - not play them. But you can always play them with the keyboard input or overdub the step-sequencers notes. (quantized or not) And the length of the step sequence can be (if you use an 8th notes grid on a 4/4 measure) up to 8 bars. The delete function is the same: hold delete, press the note you want to delete and wait until the locator plays over them. You can copy, repeat and delete bars through the menu.

I think I'll keep the drums basic today, record the midi to Ableton Live and refine them there. The microstation drums can be mapped with this GM-Drum-Standart so that the midi could be used to feed f.e. addictive drums.
Old 5th May 2015 | Show parent
Deleted b598644
after a few days with the Microstation i wanted to experiment a bit with it to see if i could make some non standard sounds with it.
so here is a small jam which i made with only the microstation, no multitracking or external fx used :

hope you like it
Attached Files

microstationjam.mp3 (4.39 MB, 1406 views)

Old 5th May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ ➡️
Yes... The microtune function is huge on the microstation.
Yes, Daniel Fisher did a great job showing the cool factor of microtuning in his Sweetwater demo. He set up a B3 type organ for instant jams using it.
Old 5th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just buy it & show us what can be done with it.
Old 6th May 2015 | Show parent
Deleted b598644
here a bit more electronic example of the microstation
again, only microstation without any external gear
Attached Files

electronicajam.mp3 (3.43 MB, 1297 views)

Old 4th September 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
This thread and the Behringer Deepmind reminds that GS is full of people who talk like they know alot about synths but then they know nothing.
Old 10th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Happy microstation owner here...do you guys know any good tutorials ( i only saw pianossss sounds all over the internet- i guess thats what they look at when they talk about workstations ). Manual is pretty hard to digest.

Thanks
Old 17th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➡️
Within the realms of impossiblity. Speak for yourself.

You are clearly showing your confusion here. A keyboard is either a synth or a Workstation. The two are wholly distinct. And like I already mentioned to you most workstations do have simplfied synth engines. That's why they are called workstations. Do you even understand what a Workstation is?

Let me put into easy to decipher examples for yourself.

Microstation = Workstation
Microkorg = Synthesiser

Korg Kronos, Korg Triton, Yamaha Motif, Roland Jupiter 80/50, Roland Fantom = Workstations

Roland Gaia, Korg Radias, Yamaha An1x = Synthesisers

Korg themselves have clearly said the Microstation is a workstation based on its feature set including the on board sequencer and multisampler. So I guess Korg must be idiots for not knowing what their own product is? You are clearly at pulling straws here. It is a workstation.
This guy is dumb......in a funny way,

"A workstation can't be a synth because it's a workstation" Now there's a cause worth fighting for!

Hey, so I guess convertible can't be a car......because it's a convertible, there's no roof! I don't have a car DAMN!

And my jeans can't be pants.....cause their jeans......I'm not wearing any pants! Awesome!
Old 17th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee ➡️
This guy is dumb......in a funny way,

"A workstation can't be a synth because it's a workstation" Now there's a cause worth fighting for!

Hey, so I guess convertible can't be a car......because it's a convertible, there's no roof! I don't have a car DAMN!

And my jeans can't be pants.....cause their jeans......I'm not wearing any pants! Awesome!
You're a genius in the funny kind of way that defies logic. A convertible is a car. But not all cars are convertible. A synth is not a workstation. Arguing that they are the same is like arguing that organs and harpsichords are all pianos because they all have keyboards and generate music mechanically? Or that all bowed string instruments are the same, will you also make that argument? Only an idiot would make such silly arguments. These instruments all serve different purposes and are meant to serve different markets. My Dreadbox Erebus is not a workstation. Some workstations have synth engines, some do not, in fact I'd argue workstations are far closer to samplers and romplers in sound generation than classic fully discreet electronic synthesisers.

Last edited by miscend; 17th May 2017 at 11:34 AM..
Old 26th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➡️
I take the keys are like the MicroKorg XL ?
I'm only just over 7 years late with this answer, but..

There's a UK ebay seller who sells keys and key contact strips for the mini key Korgs. According to his listing, the MicroKorg XL keys and "compatible with" the microSTATION, by which I assume he means interchangeable...

"The XL keys are also compatible with the MicroArranger and MicroStation keys." (not much point giving a link, because they're short lived, on ebay).

At the risk of being accused of claiming that all men are Greek, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest they are, in fact, exactly the same parts.
📝 Reply