Quantcast
korg microSTATION - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
korg microSTATION
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
good lord.. i hope a forum moderator closes this thread.
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro ➑️
if you can't make music on just about any piece of gear, you are simply not creative enough ...
I agree, but I actually tryed the bagpipes once. I can tell you, whether any glimmer of creativity was present or not, that was not a pleasent sonic experience at all
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No.

A workstation is called that because it usually offers sequencing and sometimes sampling ... Anyway, these are all marketing terms and just a way to categorize products that are often fairly similar ... In most workstations there is synthesis going on ... It's just that many prefer their "synth sounds" not to start as sampled waves or have a UI with more knobs and sliders or some other factor to differentiate between "synths" and "workstations."

These are all "synthesizers," though. Maybe not to you. But for speed of communication, some get classified as workstations because they tend to favor certain types of musical situations or applications ...

And every one of them are instruments as well ... Whether it's the one you need or want is another matter ...

With all the features and sound-creation possibilities available today, if you can't make music on just about any piece of gear, you are simply not creative enough ...

On the other hand, some electronic instruments may provide a more direct path to certain results ...

It's all how you use it ... No need to get caught up in terminology ...
I disagree. Synths are a component of a workstation, but a hardware synth and a hardware workstation are two wholly distinct product categories.

Take a look a look at The MPC 5000. Which is a hardware sequencer. But it combines a full on-board synthesiser, sampling, midi sequencing and song composition into a single workstation. But like a keyboard workstation it isn't marketed or considered to be a synthesiser because that's not it's main purpose. You will not hear anyone refer to the MPC as a synthesiser because it's a sequencer first and foremost. A workstation is a workstation, a synth is a synth.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 10th September 2012
curiosity got the best of me and I had to see if this asinine thread had been put out of its misery yet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➑️
I disagree. Synths are a component of a workstation, but a hardware synth and a hardware workstation are two wholly distinct product categories. .... A workstation is a workstation, a synth is a synth.
in 15 years of forum usage I can't recall having ever seen someone having such difficulty with logic and vehemently defending an opinion that is so very skewed and misinformed... (conservative voter perhaps?)

this is simple: a workstation is a synthesizer with an onboard sequencer.

not all synths are workstations, but all workstations are synths (more or less). As technology advanced workstations started getting more features e.g. sampling, better fx processing, hard disk recording, etc... but, the only two things necessary to make something a workstation is that it A. have a sequencer and B. be a synthesizer

the first workstations were Korg's M1 and Ensoniq's ESQ-1. Both of these are synthesizers than happen to have a sequencer. Although they posses a sequencer, they are not any less of a synth than say a Wavestation or D-50.

to beat this thing to death.... consider Roland's Fantom X line. There is the Fantom X6 and there is the Fantom XR. These two are the exact same synth, they are Fantom X's. Now the X6 is a keyboard model that happens to have a sequencer and the XR is the rack mount version and it does not. One is a workstation, the other is not. Both are the exact same synthesizer. Both are synths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha ➑️
...Were you by any chance exposed to a lot of mercury when you were little?
I think that this is a valid question and it is never too late to seek help (as in behavioral therapy, because with mercury exposure it would be too late...)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by quisquater ➑️
Please stop this stupid, pointless, autistic argument not helping anyone!!!

hey, got to remember that a fairly significant % of people reading this forum are Aspergers / spectrum. to all varietys of folks. Sometimes people are coming with a perspective that is different, no need to argue points like this.
Deleted b788fee
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➑️
I agree, but I actually tryed the bagpipes once. I can tell you, whether any glimmer of creativity was present or not, that was not a pleasent sonic experience at all
I would have paid money to see that ...

BTW ... Doesn't Roland make electronic bagpipes?

All you need is LOVE and MIDI ...
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

i've leave this in your capable hands...

I have to clear a space for my arturia mini brute which should arrive tomorrow or wednesday!
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira ➑️
There is something almost "analog" but certainly precarious and uncertain about a wooden roller coaster.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I would have paid money to see that ...
Trust me, me old mate, you wouldn't
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
A keyboard is either a synth or a Workstation. The two are wholly distinct. And like I already mentioned to you most workstations do have simplfied synth engines. That's why they are called workstations. Do you even understand what a Workstation is?
WTF??? Man you are seriously wrong on this. The SY77 *IS* a workstation but it is ALSO one of the deepest/most powerful SYNTHESIZERS you will find in digital land! You are nutz to suggest a workstation can't be a synthesizer just because most workstations tend to be based around ****ty romplers?

The SY77 even has written on it "music synthesizer" it contains and expanded/advanced DX72 engine (were those not synthesizers?). The word 'synthesizer' has nothing to do with the layout or features of a keyboard other than can it create new sounds or adjust built in sounds in enough variety! Can the keyboard synthesize new sounds? yes then it is or contains a synthesizer and it's overall classification is a 'synthesizer' (vs say a flute or a banjo). A 'workstation' is just a marketing term saying 'this synth can it all' but it most certainly IS still a synth! what else is it? a GUITAR workstation where those built in sequencer tracks are playing back live plucked strings of the attached guitar???

Don't think I've ever seen anyone on this board so wrong insisting so strongly they are so right. Obviously you have been under the impression that a workstation implies 'non synthesizer' and feel a bit sheepish now you've been told differently.

"Workstation" is not to "synthesizer" as "Guitar" is to "Piano". it is not an EITHER/OR deal ffs!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
What makes it a Workstation is the fact that or does a lot more than mere synthesis.
WRONG! It is ALSO a workstation, not ONLY. If you never use the workstation features? (the sequencer etc) then it is certainly not a 'workstation' to the person who owns/plays it? does it then cease to exist entirely if the sequencer isn't used? if the owner only uses this to create / play by hand new sounds just as he would on a polysix, jupiter 8, dx7, does the instrument no longer make a sound?? Of course it does because it's very much a synthesizer. Without it being a synthesizer it couldn't BE a workstation either, but it certainly can be and is a synthesizer as well as a workstation (in the case of the majority of decent rompler workstations or FM/additive workstations)

And they class it by it's most marketable/hype worthy aspects. To call a workstation that does 'everything' a mere synthesizer, to them, would be underplaying all it can do - this still doesn't mean it is NOT a synthesizer. dear god.
Old 11th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
If Korg say it is a Workstation then it is a Workstation. Yes you can make synths sounds with it. But I can also make synth sounds with my groove boxes. I even have synths on my iPhone but my iPhone is clearly not a synthesizer. It is a smart phone.

I'd go with how the designer describes their own product over blatant trolling. This thread needs to be locked.
Deleted b788fee
Ummm .... It would be a smartphone running a synthesizer app ... So to that end, it would be a synthesizer ...

If someone running a synth app on a smartphone or tablet were playing it behind a curtain and behind another a softsynth and so on with a workstation and someone else with a "proper synth" how would you be able to tell what specifically each device was making the sound? You couldn't ... except maybe to say you had a preference for one type of sound over another ...

I think the biggest question is: Why does this matter anyway? Synth, workstation ... Who cares? Use what you need to get the job done ...

And yes, these are the last words I commit to this thread ... 'Cause I hate to use this word, but there is some serious trolling going on here ...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam ➑️
There is something almost "analog" but certainly precarious and uncertain about a wooden roller coaster.
The most frightening roller coaster I ever rode was the Cyclone at Coney Island. Felt like it might snap my neck.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The microSTATION is as much a synth as the JD-800--just with 4x the number of waveform/multisamples. It's an amazing value at $400, considering you would normally have to buy something like the X50 ($699) to have access to such things. Merely getting a synth with DWGS or wavetables isn't going to cover the same ground.
Old 17th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just scored one of these and I'm blown away by the sound and options for the price.

Korg, I doff my cap to thee.
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Considering that you can now get it for $298 it's a good deal as long as you can live with the micro keys....
Old 18th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlywarly ➑️
I just scored one of these and I'm blown away by the sound and options for the price.

Korg, I doff my cap to thee.
To my understanding, it shares the same voice engine with the Korg PS60.
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Guys to return to point. The Microstation is a rompler, workstation, and synth by any modern standard. And FYI, editing is very good when you connect the Microstation to a computer. You have access to VCA's, Envelopes, and the such. A great deal, and the keys are any easy adjustment for any synth player. I had one for a while and the Sweetwater added organ sounds were great. I simply upgraded to a Jupiter 50, reasonable upgrade would you not say? Maybe not, oh well...... Sold it along with my Roland 300NX close to a straight trade.
Old 18th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I disagree. Synths are a component of a workstation, but a hardware synth... blah, blah, blah...
Children, children, please, can you hold it down, I'm tring to program my Adromeda...

To the OP: I was given a Korg Micro Arranger for Xmas! Per-loaded with Jean Michel Jarre styles to boot, they are amazingly accurate! I am completely blown away by Korg's ingenious sound engine in such a small package. Although I have an O1W-FD and two Tritons, I'm getting a Micro-station later this year for the sheer awesomeness of it and to make my gearslut circle complete.
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
its a synth.
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➑️
its a synth.
True, if somewhat limited, PCM-based. Filters are weedy, but the FX are nice and overall some amazing sounds packed into 49mb. I'm addicted to the Pick Bass patch

I got it mainly for it's footprint and immediacy - to keep it beside the sofa and whip-out when an idea strikes. It works perfectly - the sequencer is simple and a blast to use. Most fun I've had in ages, productive too!

And the minkeys feel surprisingly good - not the spongy things on the microkorg. It's actually a lot of fun to play, and I can finally reach the more complex chords with one (small) hand. Will definitely find use as a MIDI controller.

Build-wise, although it's very light and plasticky, the knobs, buttons and joystick seem fairly sturdy. Time will tell. For now, I'm very pleased.

Also like it's sexy retro look
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I take the keys are like the MicroKorg XL ?
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➑️
I take the keys are like the MicroKorg XL ?
I owned a Microstation for brief time and regret selling it. I felt like the keys felt a little better than the Microkorg XL, but it could be just me.
Old 28th July 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott ➑️
Children, children, please, can you hold it down, I'm tring to program my Adromeda...

To the OP: I was given a Korg Micro Arranger for Xmas! Per-loaded with Jean Michel Jarre styles to boot, they are amazingly accurate! I am completely blown away by Korg's ingenious sound engine in such a small package. Although I have an O1W-FD and two Tritons, I'm getting a Micro-station later this year for the sheer awesomeness of it and to make my gearslut circle complete.
Gearslut circles are NEVER complete!!!
Old 5th March 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Why should anyone with a computer need this?

I know I could use samples and a software sampler instead - playing them with a keyboard and get 'better' results regarding to quality aspects. But as mentioned above it's not only about the 'keyboardish' sound. In my opinion they mainly sound more assertive and powerful than natural. Probably, the normal listener doesn't care if the brass players must have elephant lungs to perform it.

But my main reason to pick this thing is the sequencer. I can make music without the DAW opened. Without being distracted by graphical feedback and the use of the mouse between the recordings. I also save CPU cycles for synthesis and effects. Then I can record up to 16 Tracks as MIDI and audio into the daw and already have a song!

You cannot do both - sounddesign and composing - at the same time. It could sound uninteresting for some of you but if you're one of these producers (like me) who likes the work of sound design while the song structure remains stuck this thing could be a good addition to your setup.
Old 5th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egoless Music ➑️
Why should anyone with a computer need this?

I know I could use samples and a software sampler instead - playing them with a keyboard and get 'better' results regarding to quality aspects. But as mentioned above it's not only about the 'keyboardish' sound. In my opinion they mainly sound more assertive and powerful than natural. Probably, the normal listener doesn't care if the brass players must have elephant lungs to perform it.

But my main reason to pick this thing is the sequencer. I can make music without the DAW opened. Without being distracted by graphical feedback and the use of the mouse between the recordings. I also save CPU cycles for synthesis and effects. Then I can record up to 16 Tracks as MIDI and audio into the daw and already have a song!

You cannot do both - sounddesign and composing - at the same time. It could sound uninteresting for some of you but if you're one of these producers (like me) who likes the work of sound design while the song structure remains stuck this thing could be a good addition to your setup.
Uhmmm. Because it's fun....
Old 6th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➑️
i've leave this in your capable hands...

I have to clear a space for my arturia mini brute which should arrive tomorrow or wednesday!
Be careful, someone may say it's a workstation because it has a sequencer.
πŸ“ Reply