Quantcast
Yamaha RM1x-quirks? love? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha RM1x-quirks? love?
Old 21st November 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hey I just got my RM1X (with old OS). Used it a few times and it certainly feels like the big brother version of Roland D2. Recently, I tried MIDI-sequencing both together and the outcome was groove-y! Thankfully, the buttons/pads are holding up.
Old 21st November 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
yahoo rm1x group has recently seen someone selling burned 1.13 roms for a pretty small amount. join up and have a look

Sent from my GT-I9505
Old 27th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
1.13 chips going on ebay for 30 bucks: Yamaha RM1X OS V1 13 Upgrade Chip | eBay
Old 27th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love chips....especially these kind!!!thanx
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I just got myself an RM1X and noticed that the ROM version is 1.11. Just out of curiousity, is it really necessary to upgrade? Where can I find a list of "bug fixes" and "new features" this chip will give me?
Old 2nd February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
List of RM1X Links
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
thanks - most of those links are now dead (i.e. "Domain is for sale")
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
15 years ago when I was 20 I produced this track which got released. BD, Bass, Synth, Chords, Pads and some of the rhythm stuff all RM1X. Some sounds where sampled and come from K2000.

Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzee ➑️
I just got myself an RM1X and noticed that the ROM version is 1.11. Just out of curiousity, is it really necessary to upgrade? Where can I find a list of "bug fixes" and "new features" this chip will give me?
It's not necessary. If you're going to use Rm1x to sequence external gear, it will send random program changes. Setting a channels voice assignment to anything other then "phrase" clears up the problem. This is the only bug I have noticed. Congrats on getting such a great sequencer.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilman ➑️
15 years ago when I was 20 I produced this track which got released. BD, Bass, Synth, Chords, Pads and some of the rhythm stuff all RM1X. Some sounds where sampled and come from K2000.

Nice! Always like to hear about stuff released commercially on old gear when people denounce it's sounds.
Old 3rd February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalker ➑️
It's not necessary. If you're going to use Rm1x to sequence external gear, it will send random program changes. Setting a channels voice assignment to anything other then "phrase" clears up the problem. This is the only bug I have noticed. Congrats on getting such a great sequencer.
Thanks - I'm wondering whether I should still grab a chip, and do the upgrade anyway - it can't hurt. I can always keep the old chip as a backup.

So far, I've been very impressed by the sound quality of the RM1X. It also has some very "familiar" sounds - and my mind goes off wondering if certain commercial songs used it.
Old 25th February 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
For a chip upgrade just contact Ollie in the UK. He'll burn one for a very reasonable price, which is way less than the original but works as good.

Got mine yesterday and now all midi bugs are resolved. Love it. Highly recommended:

Analog Monster's Synth Blog: Yamaha RM1X OS V1.13
Old 25th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
A frind borrowed mine, now the display is much duller, like at 40% contrast, does anyone know what that could be?
Old 25th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakapow ➑️
A frind borrowed mine, now the display is much duller, like at 40% contrast, does anyone know what that could be?
Has your friend just adjusted display contrast from the knob in back of the unit?
Old 8th April 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Rm1-X sequencing problems

Im having these issues where I program something into track 6 it will also record onto track 15 and the other way around, the same thing happens when deleting things as well. This happens with other tracks but they are unique to the pattern. PLEASE HELP!
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Could it be that both tracks are playing the same phrase?
Old 8th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
BTW-definately get the chip upgrade.Apparently it means you can jog between record and play without stopping the sequencer.Thats a million dollar upgrade imo.
Old 9th April 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Boreg, thanks a-lot.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamash ➑️
For a chip upgrade just contact Ollie in the UK. He'll burn one for a very reasonable price, which is way less than the original but works as good.

Got mine yesterday and now all midi bugs are resolved. Love it. Highly recommended:

Analog Monster's Synth Blog: Yamaha RM1X OS V1.13
That is mint!
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
loved the midi delay, hated the sounds and only having 1 midi output
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craow ➑️
Im having these issues where I program something into track 6 it will also record onto track 15 and the other way around, the same thing happens when deleting things as well. This happens with other tracks but they are unique to the pattern. PLEASE HELP!
I have found with mine that if I copy a track from say 1 to track 6, every change I make on either track effects the other.
Don't know what version of the firmware etc I am using.
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
you can find out what firmware version you are running by doing a diagnostic test:

hold down [pattern] + [pattern chain] + [util] and switch on the unit.

it will say on the screen what ROM version it is.
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I spent some time with my RM1x last night and finally got the hang of it. as mentioned by a few the internal sounds are weak/thin/cheap. the reverb isnt bad, delay sounds ok, distortion not so good. didnt hear any nice drum kits, bit crusher/distortion pedal would add meat to them

I replaced all the switches and installed the latest OS, got the chip from here Analog Monster's Synth Blog: Yamaha RM1X OS V1.13

Im looking forward to having it as the center piece of my midi studio, think the workflow really suits me. pity the sounds are so bad, Im sure I could get something nice out of it but why bother when Ive nice synths to play with.

from what I gather theres no cheap mod to replace the floppy drive with flash memory??
Id like to rackmount it, as it is it would be messy having to take it out when I need to back up or change a floppy
Old 24th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs ➑️
BTW-definately get the chip upgrade.Apparently it means you can jog between record and play without stopping the sequencer.Thats a million dollar upgrade imo.
can anyone confirm this?
Old 24th May 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have just ordered the OS update through Oliver (analogmonster). I don't think the update allows to switch between record and play without stopping the sequencer, from what I read on the Internet, but who knows!

I will report back.
Old 3rd June 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have installed the OS update. Midi bugs are resolved, but as I expected there are no possibilites to switch between record and play without stopping the sequencer!
Old 3rd June 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
it's a toy with like 3 usable sounds

wouldn't use it for anything other than a sequencer and even then Im sure there are way better alternatives
Old 3rd June 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Way better?

I always thought of the Rm1x and QY700 as sequencers... With bonus sounds to make demos/etc.
Old 21st June 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
analog monster

hi I am analog monster, or Ollie if you prefer. I've been shipping out Yamaha rm1x v1.13 OS EPROMs since September last year. plenty of people on the rm1x yahoo group were after the upgrade. Yamaha service centres were charging stupid amounts if they had any left at all (uk said Β£65 plus shipping to me). I find that genuinely offensive for a bug fix rather than a feature upgrade so I tried to make a better option for everyone.

Someone bought one on eBay and kindly sent it to me before they installed it. I have created a .bin file and made it available to others - you can check my blog to find the link.

I did a batch at cost price for the people on the yahoo group. I actually ended up having to ask people for a little extra as I ended up making a loss. since then I sell them at Β£11 each programmed and verified twice, plus shipping- Β£3.50 uk, Β£4.50 Europe Β£5.50 ROW. this price won't go up unless shipping goes up-shouldn't be until at least April next year. it's about the same price as using an EPROM programming service - you are welcome to use the file I've provided to do this yourself if you wish. If you have a decent EPROM programmer you may be able to program them yourself. be aware the chips are 27c160 EPROMs which means 42 pin, 16 bit chips-most programmers do 8 bit only and up to 40 pins. I ended up buying 3 different EPROM programmers with various adapters before I finally found one that worked - batronix batego 2. but that's 420 euro! luckily I have a bunch of other uses for it.

the point is I have the correct equipment and I'm not in this to make money, only get fairly compensated for my time. I've sold over 100 since the original yahoo group batch and every one has been successfully installed - you can see some of my happy customers here.

my blog page is analog-monster.blogspot.co.uk where you will find a link to the file/checksum if you want them. or you can email me at [email protected]
Old 21st June 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
as for why you would want an rm1x? because hardware sequencing is awesome. I hate staring at a PC/laptop screen, I want leds, buttons and real time control. the rm1x is my second favourite midi sequencer behind my mpc1000 with xlcd and jjos. difference is my rm1x cost me Β£130 including replacing all the switches, os etc so it's now better than new. mpc1000 has cost me about Β£600 after upgrades.

ok the sound engine is shockingly bad if you own pretty much any other synth already (to be fair I'm yet to find any awm based synth that sounds even slightly good next to another synth) but it's not being sold as a synth, it's described as a sequence remixer. the sequencers before it either had no internal sound, general midi crap, some awm based engine or significantly increased the price by adding sampling. I think of the sound engine as a bonus - a bonus I personally would never use but some people are very happy with it.

I honestly can't think of a better introduction to hardware sequencing for the price, not one that could be the "master controller", replacing a laptop at a live show
πŸ“ Reply