The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MKS-80 iPad Lemur Template
Old 15th June 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
MKS-80 iPad Lemur Template

http://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/260/

I've seen some of you guys bemoaning the lack of controllers for the MKS-80, so I thought I'd share this.

I whipped this up yesterday, it's version 1, it controls all parameters.

So far it only works for MIDI channel 1 (and MIDI channel 2 for Split-2 Mode). I want to add an menu for selecting MIDI channel later.

I run it with the line6 MIDImobilizer into a MIDI merger with my keyboard's MIDI out.

I'm updating it so that all of the faders/knobs update on patch/tone changes. I also want to add CC control of the parameters so that I can automate the parameters from Ableton. These features should be added in a week or so.
Attached Thumbnails
MKS-80 iPad Lemur Template-imageuploadedbygearslutz1339737718.561825.jpg  
Old 19th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Great, now I have a reason to buy a $50 app, jk. Good work, any chance you could make a you tube video of it working?
Old 19th June 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlegob ➑️
User Library – Liine

I've seen some of you guys bemoaning the lack of controllers for the MKS-80, so I thought I'd share this.

I whipped this up yesterday, it's version 1, it controls all parameters.

So far it only works for MIDI channel 1 (and MIDI channel 2 for Split-2 Mode). I want to add an menu for selecting MIDI channel later.

I run it with the line6 MIDImobilizer into a MIDI merger with my keyboard's MIDI out.

I'm updating it so that all of the faders/knobs update on patch/tone changes. I also want to add CC control of the parameters so that I can automate the parameters from Ableton. These features should be added in a week or so.
impressive! I'd buy it...

.. if i had an MKS80
Old 20th June 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I know $50 for an app seems like a lot, but it's worth it! (just to clarify for others: lemur is $50 - my template is free to download)

I'll make a video when I have all my planned features working. (I've had a few more ideas to make it better.)

I think I'll be able to make a system of saving and recalling patches on the Lemur template itself (rather than on the MKS-80).

This will mean that a 'patch' will contain all the parameters of the upper and lower tones, as well as the patch data, so it'll be one preset instead of three. You'll be able to save it with a name, and recall it from a drop-down menu, which should be easier than saving directly to the MKS-80, (and it'll have 256 preset slots instead of 64.)
Old 20th June 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
It looks sweet on the iPad 3 after the latest Lemur update supporting retina resolution!
Old 20th June 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Would this template port to a real Lemur?
Old 20th June 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirehooligan ➑️
Would this template port to a real Lemur?
I'm not sure. It's made for iPad resolution, which I think is a bit higher than the original version.

In the lemur editor software, there is an option to set the size, (iPad, iPhone, Legacy)

I'm guessing it would be possible to tweak it in the editor to get it to fit the original Lemur, but it would require making a few extra tabs and splitting the 'tone' tabs into 2 separate tabs (just to get it all to fit).
Old 30th June 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Version 2 is up:

-Sends/receives MIDI CC# on parameter changes, allowing for automation from non-sysex friendly DAWs (Upper tone on channel 1, Lower Tone on channel 2)

-New text dialogue showing edited parameter's full name, value and related CC#

-Able to select the MIDI channel to transmit to the MKS-80 (no longer limited to channel 1)

-Unipolar faders & inversion switched replaced by bipolar faders

-GUI is prettier!

....More changes/features to come!
Old 30th June 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
now that is really interesting. good job
Old 1st July 2012
Deleted User
deleted by user
Old 1st July 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted Userc ➑️
you are dealing with sysex.
I have made some advanced interfaces for the Lemur, but alas, I don't have sysex programing experience.
Any advice as to how to learn sysex Puzzlegob?
I would be very happy to contribute.
I have several synths for which I would be delighted to create templates for, also for the joy of sharing.

Would you be interesting in describing the method for assigning only one control? Ie,. if you post an step by step example for assigning one sysex control of the MKS80 to a slider in the Lemur, for one example, I could use that method for the synths I own. I certainly understand that every synth and manufacturer have their own sysex spec, but I just need a workable example.
I was lucky enough to find the sysex spec for the MKS-80 online:

http://www.synthzone.com/midi/roland/mks80/MKS80syx.txt

As for sysex in lemur, each fader has a 'custom MIDI' script added, triggered by 'x' (fader position), 'Message' is set to 'F0 System Exclusive'

The sysex string for 'Lowpass Cutoff' on the upper tone is:

{0x41, 0x36, 0x00, 0x20, 0x20, 0x01, 0x18, x*100, 0xF7}

This is entered in the 'data' field of the custom MIDI script.

If you open up my template in the Lemur editor you can see how it's all laid out. Nothing too complex!
Old 1st July 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
This new page is 99% complete, will update it soon...
It allow you to select 2 parameters per axis, min/max values & positive or negative mapping to the axis - allowing up to 16 parameters to be tweaked at once.

Old 1st July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Very cool dude. Breath some new life into these old creatures.
Old 2nd July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
awesome work puzzlegob
Old 2nd July 2012 | Show parent
Deleted User
deleted by user
Old 2nd July 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Custom MIDI isn't bidirectional, but you could write a script if you wanted bidirectional sysex.

What I've done is use bidirectional MIDI CC messages on the faders, and sysex on the custom MIDI.

This means I can send automation (via CC) to and from Ableton, and the custom MIDI script sends the appropriate sysex to the MKS-80. (The sysex and CC# messages run in parallel.)

I've got a little text object in the top-right corner that displays the CC number of the parameter being tweaked, so I don't need to memorise a bunch of numbers.
Old 2nd July 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Hey that looks like very cool work!!

Would you consider making iPad Lemur templates for other synths for pay?
Old 2nd July 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
Hey that looks like very cool work!!

Would you consider making iPad Lemur templates for other synths for pay?
I think that anyone could do this, my only background in programming is getting a 'C' in 'Introduction to Java'. The Lemur Editor does a lot of the heavy lifting. The liine forums and manual are good resources too.

I'm planning to make templates for my other MIDI gear, Clusterflux, Slim Phatty & Tempest (once MIDI is finalised in a future update). I'll post these to the Lemur user library for free download.

Creating templates for synths I don't physically own would be difficult, because I wouldn't be able to test things as I build it.

If you'd like to buy me a Voyager or A6, I'd be happy to make a template for 'em!
Old 2nd July 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Cool cool. To be fair I haven't even checked the Lemur user library yet....I might just have to get a damned pad and get in there .......this has most definitely wet my appetite!!!
Old 12th July 2012 | Show parent
Deleted User
deleted by user
Old 12th July 2012 | Show parent
Deleted User
deleted by user
Old 12th July 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That's clever. I downloaded your template. Wish I had an MKS-80.
Question: As a quick example I am trying to develop one single sysex control focusing on the fx type sysex definition in Blofeld.

This would be:
F0 3E 13 00 20 00 01 00 05 F7

where

is the variable that can go from 0 to 5, where 0 is bypass, and then 1-5 are fx types.

I am pretty positive the sysex message is correct, but how come my custom midi script in Lemur will reject this array every time I try to copy and paste it in?

I took a look at your scripts and see you are using x*100 on the last bits. Also, should I convert hex values to decimal?

The decimal translation would be:

240 62 19 0 32 0 1 0 5 247

=

Appreciate your help mate.

Edit

how about this?:

{0x62, 0x19, 0x0, 0x32, 0x0, 0x1, 0x0, x*100, 0xF7}
That looks about right, but instead of x*100, try x*5

Since you are dealing with a range of 0-5, that's the range you want. If you're using a knob or fader, try turning the 'grid' option on (in behavior) and set it to 6, that will make your 'x*5' variable output whole numbers.

Edit:

If lemur is rejecting your array, there may be a problem with your formatting. Maybe your 0x1 should be 0x01.

try

{0x3E, 0x13, 0x00, 0x20, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, x*5, 0xF7}
Old 12th July 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Never mind. Figured it out:

{0x3E, 0x13, 0x00, 0x20, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, x*05}

yaaay!
Cool!
Old 14th July 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Version 3 is up, with a new 'tone morph' tab - very fun! Will post a video soon.
Old 15th July 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Demo Video
Old 2nd August 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Today is my birthday which would be irrelevant to this thread but my wonderful wife has just bought me a new iPad!!

What is the best midi / audio connection to buy to use something like Touch Osc or other iPad music apps?

Any help or experience would be appreciated.
Old 2nd August 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Puzzlebob

I got the iPad today bought Lemur and downloaded your template.

It is absolutely awesome thank you so much!

One question, you say it transmits and receives CC's but when I record in Cubase it only seems to get sysex. Is there something I need to do in Lemur to set it to CC's

Cubase hasn't got any filters set so it's not that any ideas?
Old 2nd August 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looks pretty cool. I should get Lemur, I wonder if anyone has made a D-50/550 template. That's the synth I really need a decent editor for, and having it on the iPad would be ideal.

Maybe I'll get Lemur and make my own...
Old 2nd August 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by remote337 ➑️
Puzzlebob

I got the iPad today bought Lemur and downloaded your template.

It is absolutely awesome thank you so much!

One question, you say it transmits and receives CC's but when I record in Cubase it only seems to get sysex. Is there something I need to do in Lemur to set it to CC's

Cubase hasn't got any filters set so it's not that any ideas?
You'll have to get into the settings on the iPad and set up the MIDI targets.
By default the the editor receives CC data on MIDI target 1, but doesn't transmit. So setting the output on MIDI target 1 to whatever MIDI device is transmitting to Cubase should sort that out.
Old 2nd August 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by remote337 ➑️
Today is my birthday which would be irrelevant to this thread but my wonderful wife has just bought me a new iPad!!

What is the best midi / audio connection to buy to use something like Touch Osc or other iPad music apps?

Any help or experience would be appreciated.
I've only got experience with the Line6 MIDI Mobilizer II, but so far it has worked flawlessly. It's only a MIDI connection, it doesn't transmit audio.

Some other MIDI connections won't transmit sysex data, so that's something to be wary of.
πŸ“ Reply