The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bob Moog Tribute Thread
Old 16th May 2012
Deleted User πŸŽ™οΈ
Bob Moog Tribute Thread

Bob Moog not just invated the modern synthesizer, he also had a philosophy behind the synths, behind circuits (he even had a kind of relationship to circuts) etc. So let's discuss his ideas behind synths here, as a form of tribute to Bob Moog, but more to learn from the father of the synthesizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 ➑️
Multi-voice modulation is overrated in my opinion. When asked a question after a demonstration of the Voyager:

"Why in this day and age does you modern synthesizer only play one note at time?"

Bob: "Because by having more voices or chords, you have less capability for complex musical gestures for each individual note, and the signal path for each voice is simpler."
He also stated about electronic music (when he taked about the Minimoog in the Moog Movie) that how music was made also reflected to how people was listening to music: Music done by single persons many times are consumed by a single person, etc. Therefore he persuid instruments that could be performed live by a group of people (a band etc) to be consumed together. True - today most of the electronic music is done by a single person and consumed by a single person at time with headphones, iPhone, computer etc.

I heard other stories like "why did you not made that and that in this way instead" and he answered "we had not invented that yet at that time".

Etc etc...
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice thread. I have always loved the Moog.
Whilst we are on the subject you think the new moogs sound anything like the ones from back in the day?
I remember I was about the purchase the Moog Minimoog Model D I think it was, it was in a pawn shop and the guy wanted $1200 this was about 5 years ago.
I regret not buying it.
So actually to this i have only ever heard the old moog once and it was via headphones in a pawn shop.
Today I own the Voyager and the Phatty. I think they sound cleaner the new ones.
Anyway.
Old 16th May 2012
Bio
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Music done by single persons many times are consumed by a single person, etc. Therefore he persuid instruments that could be performed live by a group of people (a band etc) to be consumed together. True - today most of the electronic music is done by a single person and consumed by a single person at time with headphones, iPhone, computer etc.
Orchestral music is done by dozen of individual and are listened by singles person in their home too, even with headphone !

Techno etc... are often done by single people but thousand people dance on it on rave etc...

So to me it's far from being so different. I don't change my environment or way of listening if it's electro or classical, rock etc... I don't need to call all my friends so I can listen to Bach or anything else.

And to me, Bob is one of the father of synth, but not the only one.
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Didn't ol'Bobbo dislike the Model D? Unstable VCOs or something?
Edit: Or was it he thought the Voyager was better?
Old 16th May 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
@ Analog Prophet -- I'm all for a Bob Moog tribute thread, but I do wish you had chosen a different quote to kick it off with. Moog is absolutely correct that the beauty of a monophonic synth is the opportunity to focus all of one's attention as a synthesist and performer on a single voice. I think it's unfair, however, to go too far with his justification for continuing to make monosynths and imply that polyphony is thus "overrated" as in the quote. A lot can be accomplished polyphonically by a skilled player -- not just with the hands, but with the feet as well. Knowing how many pedals you have, I hardly need to say that to you! The Pedal Meister! haha

In any case, I already made my case for polyphony here so I won't repeat it.

I'm deeply indebted to Robert Moog, though. The soundtrack to "A Clockwork Orange" is what turned me on to electronic music in the first place. I also learned a lot of what I know about synthesis working on a Moog Modular System 55 in college. Incredibly inspiring machine I would love to have in my own studio!
Old 16th May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune ➑️
Whilst we are on the subject you think the new moogs sound anything like the ones from back in the day?
That's a can of worms you probably dont want to open.
If you do a search you'll find several threads on the subject.
Deleted User πŸŽ™οΈ
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➑️
I think it's unfair, however, to go too far with his justification for continuing to make monosynths and imply that polyphony is thus "overrated" as in the
I guess it was about the art of the beauty of simpleness. Bob Moog started with the Theremin and kept that passion his whole life. I bought a Moog Theremin last year and found out how absolutly expressful it is to control an instrument with the whole body, how hard it's to play, but still fun to express myself with when just "getting crazy", controlling filters etc with for my other analog synths.

Quote:
Moog Modular System 55 ....... I would love to have in my own studio!
Me too, absolutely my ultimate dream machine. They sold one in a music store here like two years ago in mint condition. The requested price was about $8500. I deeply regret that I did not toke a lone and toke the opportunity.
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There is truth about a monophonic instrument demanding more focus and being more expressive. Besides analog synths there are trumpets, saxophones, flutes, the human voice...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Moog Modular System 55 ... I would love to have in my own studio!
Here ya go
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
About 12 years ago, when I was still a teen, I heard Bob Moog give a talk about theremins at a screening of a Clara Rockmore documentary at the South Eastern Center for Contemporary Arts. Later that summer, I stumbled across a beat-to-hell Model D for $500 in my local music shop. I didn't pick it up, but ten years later I bought a Voyager and my musical life hasn't been the same since.

Here's an (almost) all Voyager track called "Spaceships for Bob," which I dedicated to Dr. Moog. Thanks for everything.

Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC ➑️
There is truth about a monophonic instrument demanding more focus and being more expressive. Besides analog synths there are trumpets, saxophones, flutes, the human voice...
Totally agree -- especially about the human voice which, for me, is the most expressive instrument of all. But just imagine what this kind of technique (which btw demands a lot of focus) could achieve with a polyphonic synth, with polyphonic aftertouch and other means of independent modulation of voices (e.g. velocity, etc.). Don't get me wrong: I love monosynths, but I still say a lot of the problems with expressive polyphonic playing have to do with limitations of the instruments and performers themselves.

Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Uh... I think I'll pass!

Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet ➑️
I bought a Moog Theremin last year and found out how absolutly expressful it is to control an instrument with the whole body, how hard it's to play, but still fun to express myself with when just "getting crazy", controlling filters etc with for my other analog synths.
Sounds great. A Theremin has been on my "to get" list for a long time. I can imagine they are very difficult to play!

Quote:
The requested price was about $8500. I deeply regret that I did not toke a lone and toke the opportunity.
Oh, man, that hurts. If I'd had the cash, I think I would have gone for it at that price. That's very reasonable. I've pretty much given up on ever owning one myself at this point. I'm doing research now on putting together an alternative modular system. There are so many choices though, it's difficult to decide on the right path. From the demos I've heard, the Macbeth stuff comes closest to that Moog 55 sound I love so much.

For the time being, I'll just have to make do with the Arturia Moog Modular V.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
absolutely my ultimate dream machine ...
BTW here's a pic of the one I worked on for several years. That's not me in the photo, but one of my classmates. I'm envious now he had the foresight to photograph himself in front of it for the sake of posterity. I was too much of a nihilist punk at the time to care much for photos!

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'd pass too... that's missing most of the modules, so it would take you a lifetime and a LOT of patience on eBay to find all the other modules (unless you already have a lot of modules and need the cabinet).

I think it's safe to say that a modular Moog is the dream of every keyboardist, but on this forum, I only know of Roginator having one? Or maybe one or two more people... I went with the Synthesizers.com and while it's not the same thing, it gets close to it.

Anyway, Bob Moog was the reason I got into synthesizers when I was six years old (watching Il Guardiano Del Faro playing Minimoog on TV) and I wish I had met him in person. He reminds me a lot of my late father in law (who also was from NY) - same accent, same mannerism, same way of talking / explaining - same generation of great gentlemen that sadly has faded away.

And since this is a tribute thread, I will post my "Ballad For Robert Moog" video

Deleted User πŸŽ™οΈ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd ➑️
About 12 years ago, when I was still a teen, I heard Bob Moog give a talk about theremins at a screening of a Clara Rockmore documentary at the South Eastern Center for Contemporary Arts. Later that summer, I stumbled across a beat-to-hell Model D for $500 in my local music shop. I didn't pick it up, but ten years later I bought a Voyager and my musical life hasn't been the same since.

Here's an (almost) all Voyager track called "Spaceships for Bob," which I dedicated to Dr. Moog. Thanks for everything.

That is love 90 stero tracks pure Minimoog Voyager. Wow. And the song was good too - put me to sleep after dinner for two and half hours, knocked out

Quote:
Uh... I think I'll pass!

You mean U-he... I think I'll low pass! ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo ➑️
...since this is a tribute thread, I will post my "Ballad For Robert Moog" video

Absolutely beautiful Mr Varaldo
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
U-he... I think I'll low pass! ?

Absolutely beautiful Mr Varaldo
LOL

and... thank you very much, Analog Prophet - I plan on re-recording the ballad with Moog synths and Mellotron choir when I'll get a chance!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I plan on re-recording the ballad with Moog synths and Mellotron choir when I'll get a chance!
I'm so happy to hear you say that, Mr. Varaldo! I also thought your piece was beautiful but it would have been nice to have a least one original Moog synth in there somewhere. Don't you have a Memorymoog now? That would sound awesome!
Old 17th May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm so happy to hear you say that, Mr. Varaldo! I also thought your piece was beautiful but it would have been nice to have a least one original Moog synth in there somewhere. Don't you have a Memorymoog now? That would sound awesome!
Thank you, Maison Vague! I have Memorymoog, Minimoog and Micromoog and actually you just gave me an idea... I could redo the song utilizing *only* Moog synths, even for the drum sounds... Like you, my dream would be to get an original late '60s Moog modular at some point in my life, but they are so rare and expensive.
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Amazing work, Mr. Varaldo.

My moogs are dear to my heart (Model D, Source, Liberation, Sonic VI), but I've always pined for a memorymoog.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonmerrick ➑️
Amazing work, Mr. Varaldo.

My moogs are dear to my heart (Model D, Source, Liberation, Sonic VI), but I've always pined for a memorymoog.
Thank you, Gordon The Memorymoog might not be a "true" old-school Moog, but hey - it sounds fantastic!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thank you, Gordon The Memorymoog might not be a "true" old-school Moog, but hey - it sounds fantastic!
Well, if anyone gets concerned about the authenticity of a Memorymoog, I'd be happy to take that heavy burden off their hands.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune ➑️
May this help you (or doom you)

https://gearspace.com/board/electron...ml#post7002261

(that was September 5th: things were sold, and on October 29th that year, mine arrived)
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In the spirit of paying tribute to Moog, you HAVE TO watch this video. I'm sure some of you already have. If you haven't, set aside some time and watch it. It's kinda long but worth it.

Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 ^^^^
One wonders the future of Moog Music as the analog tide turns once again.
He was the main guy behind the scenes and who had say in development and every other facet of the company.
Whats in store? The MiniTaur is the only post Robert Moog product as I think he was involved in the early design of the Slim Phatty.
I wonder who his successor is if any?
This is a good sign: Moog Music Sales Increase in the Digital Era | Billboard.biz
Will Moog come out with a poly is the question for me.
Moog has the niche in mono-synths pretty handily. Not much competition.
He was and still is wonderful to listen to just from a tech standpoint.
I have watched the documentary Haz posted many times and learn something each time.
He will be missed and synth will never be quite the same.
This coming from a guy who has never owned a Moog product. They are too expensive for my taste and the LP's limited UI and modulation held me back and led me to the DSI MEK ultimately.
I will get one at some point, though. I promise!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 ➑️
Will Moog come out with a poly is the question for me.
I would say its only a matter of time, but there's no rush since, like you said, Moog has their niche in making powerful mono synths.

BTW, I would make acquiring a Moog synth an item on your "to-do" list.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmatic ➑️
I would say its only a matter of time, but there's no rush since, like you said, Moog has their niche in making powerful mono synths.

It is. But like I said they are just too expensive. I just don't have $3000+ laying around for a synth. Just can't do it.
I am pretty much limited to the LP as the SP sounds problematic and I passed on it twice.
However, maybe I will start a Moog for verve92 fund wherein all of you can chip in a few bucks and I will get one. But with the high end Moogs out there seems pointless to settle for an LP. It's like going to a Porsche dealer and buying Boxter, while the 911 owners snicker.
It is on my to do list, but whether it will get done is another story. Just not practical.
Deleted User πŸŽ™οΈ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmatic ➑️

I would like to say that the times is here:

It's easy to poly chain up to 16 LP/SP. the trick can be done in the same way with the Voyager but will be unrealistic expensive to the most of us. But a LP and 2-3 SP in a rack (not in Irak ) can make a nice little pure analog Polyphonic Moog.
Old 24th May 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Bob Moog brought the synthesizer to the commercial market with the Model D. The concept behind it was to make a portable machine with the basics of this kind of sound generator. Before him, this kind of machines were too expensive, too big, and too difficult to use.
Without the Model D, synths would've been only for academics and experimental musicians, unable to reach the commercial market.

That's why he is recognized as the father of the synthesizer, and that's why no one else has earned that title.

If you check today's doodle from google, it celebrates Bob Moog's birthday, and it is indeed a great tribute! Robert Moog's 78th Birthday
Old 24th May 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Bob Moog is one of the few people I openly praise, despite having never met him in his working lifetime.

He is pretty much a prophet, his creations made the sounds of the universe available to a million people who used them to create the music most of us know and love, and were brought up from childhood listening to and internalizing.

Basically the sounds of a Moog synthesizer have becoming so deeply assimilated into my subconscious it's difficult to tell were the influence really began, but having been born after 1985, I'd guess it was probably throughout my entire life.

We (won't) see his like ever again.
πŸ“ Reply