The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Shruthi-1
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is my soldering sucking?The Shruthi-1-imageuploadedbygearslutz1336996656.848080.jpg
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can't find the 100uf electrolyte caps for c1 c11 c12

Is it these blue ones? The voltage is higher than the pics?
The Shruthi-1-imageuploadedbygearslutz1336999058.196275.jpg
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No power readings

The Shruthi-1-imageuploadedbygearslutz1337003967.110933.jpg
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Mutable forums are definitely better for tech support questions [edit] Ahh I see you have now! Great.
But yes, the smaller blue caps are what you want. The voltage rating doesn't matter so much.
Not sure about the power thing though.. Check the 2 voltage regs are the right way around, and that the little wire jumper is in place, if you are not using a power switch.
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llitsor ➑️
The Mutable forums are definitely better for tech support questions [edit] Ahh I see you have now! Great.
But yes, the smaller blue caps are what you want. The voltage rating doesn't matter so much.
Not sure about the power thing though.. Check the 2 voltage regs are the right way around, and that the little wire jumper is in place, if you are not using a power switch.
Yeah thanks, I'm getting some help but I can't post photos there from my iPad lol so I hijacked here...l really am very sorry

The Shruthi-1-imageuploadedbygearslutz1337007069.237877.jpg
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have to say the build has been pretty fun so far despite the drawback of my power supply.
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That 9V one is fine, DONT use the 15V one, it will blow the voltage regulator
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude909 ➑️
That 9V one is fine, DONT use the 15V one, it will blow the voltage regulator
I Tested the power with the 9v and there was nothing. I couldn't get any readings. But When I used the 15v ( from my mopho ) the power readings were all correct. +5 and -4.95
Old 14th May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedavine ➑️
I Tested the power with the 9v and there was nothing. I couldn't get any readings. But When I used the 15v ( from my mopho ) the power readings were all correct. +5 and -4.95
The max input voltage of the LT1054 is 15V, you might be just a hair below that because of diode but those things are easy to destroy. The 9V one in your pic has a tip negative not positive, chop it off and wire it opposite. It will work fine
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The max input voltage of the LT1054 is 15V, you might be just a hair below that because of diode but those things are easy to destroy. The 9V one in your pic has a tip negative not positive, chop it off and wire it opposite. It will work fine
Is there a way I can tell if I broke it? I hope it's ok.
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
if it was bad, you would lose your -5 rail
Old 14th May 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Your 9V wall wart is center negative. You need center positive.
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
if it was bad, you would lose your -5 rail
All seems fine. I rewired my 9v and rails seem ok. Phase two has begun. But I can't find my 2.2k resistors (red red black brown )
I have these.....The Shruthi-1-imageuploadedbygearslutz1337075720.439661.jpg

Made a bit of progress though
The Shruthi-1-imageuploadedbygearslutz1337075750.459824.jpg
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Those look like the 330K and the 18K, there are no other 3 resistors that have the right markings?
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Those look like the 330K and the 18K, there are no other 3 resistors that have the right markings?
Wife had knocked them on the floor lol. Finished the filter board just now. Start the control board tommorrow. Made a few amateurish mistakes but I think it's going well for a first attempt.The Shruthi-1-imageuploadedbygearslutz1337091041.157137.jpg

Of course it only went so well because of the great support. 1 more day then I can play.
Old 15th May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looks like it's going well!

I would always double-check the resistors with a multimeter. Can save a lot of heartache later.
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlywarly ➑️
Looks like it's going well!

I would always double-check the resistors with a multimeter. Can save a lot of heartache later.
Is there a list of the values I'd be looking for? Or is it the +5 or -5 again?
Old 15th May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you check for resistance directly, look for the Ohm symbol.
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I got my Shruthi yesterday and mucked around with it last night.

I was worried it would sound overly digital like my Biscuit Der Oto but damn this thing sounds gooood! Bouncy bass, lush pads, trippy leads, I love it!

Here's a little track I knocked up while testing it:

Shruthi test by Kaarma on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Everything is Shruthi except for the drums.

So much sound from such a tiny little synth!

Old 16th May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just finished mine. I thought i had ballsed it when I plugged it in as it made a F#$%ing dirty horrible sound that sounded like it was screwed. i unplugged the midi out and suddenly the clouds cleared, a bright light form the heavens burst through the window and the sound of digital angels beating the living crap out of analogue demons filled the room. I guess with the midi out it must be trying to poly chain to itself or something (midi feedback).

I did have one balls up in the build. I soldered on the LCD before attaching th midi inputs. I started to try taking the lcd off but it seemed impossible without third degree burns from the copper wire. So i did a dodgy soldering job from the wrong side. They seem pretty firm. Just have to be careful I guess.

OOFF it sounds good.
Love it. and built with my own crappy hands (and the constant help of people on here and on the mutable forums).

The only real bummer was the wrong screws for the case so that I can't screw it closed (they aren't long enough). That and only one color of LED in the pack. But i am just so elated having built it.

Seriously HUGE thank you to everyone on here (and at the mutable forums) especially altitude909. Thanks for the help.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
congrats Ned! welcome to the club

as long as one is careful and takes their time I think this is a pretty easy kit build, you just have to stuff a couple PCBs, no panel wiring or anything like that - my Bottlehead Crack headphone amplifier kit was a much, much more challenging build despite being a far simpler circuit with quite literal step-by-step instructions (largely P2P using turret boards)

now time for you to build more filters
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice - glad it worked out. It's a really nice feeling to build your own instrument.

Only question is: what are you building next?
Old 17th May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlywarly ➑️
Nice - glad it worked out. It's a really nice feeling to build your own instrument.

Only question is: what are you building next?
I completely just started a new thread to find that out but is hold have continued here sorry. I was looking at the PreenFM. it looks like a cool little FM synth.

but id also like to build a 4pm but i don't know about sourcing the parts.
Old 18th May 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
folks looking for a mutable instruments-assembled shruthi-1 you're in luck, just noticed Olivier put up 6 units for sale recently - 4 smr4s, 1 SVF, and 1 polivoks

mutable instruments' shop - Shruthi-1 assembled units
Old 18th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by defenestration ➑️
folks looking for a mutable instruments-assembled shruthi-1 you're in luck, just noticed Olivier put up 6 units for sale recently - 4 smr4s, 1 SVF, and 1 polivoks

mutable instruments' shop - Shruthi-1 assembled units
That green one looks pimp. I wanna build a polivoks but mouser.jp is a nightmare.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausgeno ➑️
I got my Shruthi yesterday and mucked around with it last night.

I was worried it would sound overly digital like my Biscuit Der Oto but damn this thing sounds gooood! Bouncy bass, lush pads, trippy leads, I love it!

Here's a little track I knocked up while testing it:

Shruthi test by Kaarma on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Everything is Shruthi except for the drums.

So much sound from such a tiny little synth!

I really like that Gene! Great job! You are the master of the formant/vocal thing... outstanding!

Now, take the output of your Der Oto and run it through your Shruthi filters for a whole new experience...
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Congrats on the finished project!

Was wondering about getting a Shruthi-1 myself but wasn't sure which filter version to get. I already have a Virus Snow on the DSP side and Synth Squad and Diva on the purely software side. Probably the only filter I really don't have much representation is a Moog filter but not sure if it's worth getting a "non-moog" filter representation for the Shruthi or just buying a Moog later on. Anyway, not to hijack the thread, but any advice from your experience on how you made your choice?

Wh

P.S.
Where did the drums come from in your Shruthi demo? I enjoyed them
Old 19th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^ In your case, i'd go for the SMR 4 kit. You get all the parts, so you have nothing to source (unlike for the other filters). Plus the SMR 4 is a great sounding filter anyway
You can always have a go at making other filter boards for it later if you feel like it.
Old 19th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Are there any cool editors out there? I'm using the lemur one at the mo.mits ok.
Old 20th May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
my first shruthi-1 tune.
beastie boys remix in honor of the late MCA.

πŸ“ Reply