The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
XLR to 1/4 TS
Old 28th March 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
XLR to 1/4 TS

I'm seriously considering picking up an Overstayer Stereo VCA Compressor.

One thing that I'm wondering about, though, is the XLR connectors on the Overstayer and how I'll interface this with my other gear. All my other gear has 1/4 TS outputs.

I've found plenty of XLR to 1/4 TRS, but I don't know if those will work correctly.

Will I wind up having to solder my own adaptor cables? My soldering skills aren't up to much, but I did succeed in soldering an RCA to XLR cable for my E-Mu E4's digital input, so I guess I'd be able to make a cable if that's the only option.

Any suggestions or insights? Is there an easy way around this that I'm just clueless about?
Old 29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
see here for the full story: Sound System Interconnection

the abillity to make high quality cables that are tailormade for a studio, for a fraction of the cost is worth persuing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bulk-50-Moga...item4ab3b48ee9
Old 29th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouts ➑️
I'm seriously considering picking up an Overstayer Stereo VCA Compressor.

One thing that I'm wondering about, though, is the XLR connectors on the Overstayer and how I'll interface this with my other gear. All my other gear has 1/4 TS outputs.

I've found plenty of XLR to 1/4 TRS, but I don't know if those will work correctly.

Will I wind up having to solder my own adaptor cables? My soldering skills aren't up to much, but I did succeed in soldering an RCA to XLR cable for my E-Mu E4's digital input, so I guess I'd be able to make a cable if that's the only option.

Any suggestions or insights? Is there an easy way around this that I'm just clueless about?
I have the OverStayer Instrument Driver and Stereo Dynamics Processor racked up together. They have XLR connectors and I have them patched into my balanced (TRS) patchbay. I am assuming that the VCA compressor is similar to these. I can tell you that you will have no problems at all if you just get XLR to TRS cables (male and female for ins and outs) and use them. I use mine on my keyboards and some of the keyboards have balanced outputs but many of them have unbalanced outputs. It all works fantastically well.

I can't say enough good things about the combo I got for my keyboards. I was originally just going to get the Instrument Driver but OverStayer has a good deal on the combo with it all racked up in a 1U unit so I sprung for the extra few hundred dollars. So glad I did! The Stereo Dynamics Processor and Instrument Driver together are just killer. At some point I am probably going to get more of these.
Old 29th March 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
balanced cables sound bad !!
Old 29th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonance5 ➑️
balanced cables sound bad !!
Huh? Where does that come from?
Old 29th March 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
hahaha ! well an easy test would be listen your speakers through balanced and then unbalanced cables.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonance5 ➑️
hahaha ! well an easy test would be listen your speakers through balanced and then unbalanced cables.
OK well I answered the OP's question with hopefully useful information. I have no idea where you get the idea that balanced cables sound bad but I am guessing you were bored and just felt like trolling this thread cause that is just absurd.

If you have something useful to add then please do so.
Old 29th March 2012

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
He's making a joke, obviously.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➑️
He's making a joke, obviously.
Ugghhh....don't read Gearslutz before morning coffee ;-) My bad
Old 29th March 2012