The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio Electronics Boomstar
Old 16th June 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory ➡️
Has anyone rolled their own SEM x2 Two-Voice Bro? How’s the Boomstar polychain working?
I was thinking about the same, but hadn't enough cash to fund it. But for sure it would be great.

And yes, as other said, after years of using SE SEM, i still love it, huge sound, and you can make also many expeimental, modular-like sounds.
Old 17th June 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiTeR-aR ➡️
I was thinking about the same, but hadn't enough cash to fund it. But for sure it would be great.

And yes, as other said, after years of using SE SEM, i still love it, huge sound, and you can make also many expeimental, modular-like sounds.
Sounds good.

How would you compare the Boomstars SEM to a TO SEM? (or anyone else compare?)

I was originally thinking I’d need something like the Polyend Poly (MIDI to CV) to use my TVSP to control the 2 SEMs, to roll my own makeshift 4-Voice. Then, I read that the Boomstars have built in poly chaining. I must have missed this before, or maybe this was added in a later revision?

In any case, I’m also just thinking ahead and planning how to eventually finalize my “TVSP SEM Station” with dual/patchable SEMs, as the TO SEMs are no longer being made. The fact that the Boomstarts went from $800 to $1300 kinda sucks, but the TO SEMs were also around ~ $1200. The Boomstars look very solidly built - and built locally, just like the Oberheims, which is very cool. But, I also can’t afford this expanded fantasy rig at this point (too many other priorities).

I’m also concerned the Boom SEMs sound too different from the TO SEMs to work well in a 4-Voice rig with TO 2-Voice. But, that wouldn’t stop them from being a great 2-Voice when paired.
Old 21st June 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
How would you compare the Boomstars SEM to a TO SEM? (or anyone else compare?)
I haven't use any other clone.

Quote:
Then, I read that the Boomstars have built in poly chaining. I must have missed this before, or maybe this was added in a later revision?
I think it was from the begining.

Quote:
I’m also concerned the Boom SEMs sound too different from the TO SEMs to work well in a 4-Voice rig with TO 2-Voice. But, that wouldn’t stop them from being a great 2-Voice when paired.
They designed some things inside also on minimoog scheme so it is not 1:1 TO SEM clone.
But sounds great
Old 21st June 2019
Deleted 13e7993
The MKII versions of these went up quite a bit in price over the first run. They sound and look amazing though. Hmmm.
Old 25th May 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

blown envelope?

hi people, new to gearslutz but i'm running into problems with my boomstar 5089 (serial: 100007) [mark I i guess]

i was recording a beat a couple days ago and within a moment the envelope went from a short decay, plucky sound to a constant decay (and yep, it's not the drone). i've tried trouble shooting everything but does anyone have an idea?

problem is also that the overflow and learn switches are broken (my suspicion was it could be to do with the overflow midi but i'm not sure).

emailed the guys but i guess everything's quite dormant due to covid. but yeah, let me know if anyone has an idea.

stay safe!
Old 18th January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Did you ever figure this problem out? I have the same thing happening occasionally with my Boomstar 3003.
Old 18th January 2021
Gear Addict

He Threw it in the Bin!
Old 18th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
super special mono synths.. highly recommended if you want that analog growl and depth. not dissing digital, it‘a that these synths do it effortless..
Old 1st March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I finally got one of these, I absolutely love it. It’s just as beefy as my Minitaur but with so many more possibilities.
Old 1st March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esla ➡️
I finally got one of these, I absolutely love it. It’s just as beefy as my Minitaur but with so many more possibilities.
Congratulations on your new synth.
Which filter did you choose?
Old 1st March 2021
Lives for gear

I've owned two Boomstars for a few years now, the SE80 & 4072

Wonderful tone on both, can get really thick and are probably the biggest sounding things in a box this size I've ever heard

I'm now looking at an Omega, I just love Studio Electronics gear
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe ➡️
Congratulations on your new synth.
Which filter did you choose?
I got the older arp version, 4075. It is my first true knob/function and it has ruined my other synths for me for about 2weeks now. All I ever want to touch is the Boomstar.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I got the older arp version, 4075. It is my first true knob/function and it has ruined my other synths for me for about 2weeks now. All I ever want to touch is the Boomstar.
That's the one I picked. It is an awesome synth.
This is a link to some inspirational sounds, some of which I'm still trying to emulate. Scroll down to the bottom and let the audio files load, they're slow:

https://greatsynthesizers.com/en/rev...rp-substitute/

Next I'll go for either the 3003 or the 8106.
Old 2nd March 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I really wish the Boomstars has presets
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by placebo62 ➡️
I really wish the Boomstars has presets
In a performance setting it would make some situations easier but on my desk I like it just the way it is. It is my only synth where the knob positions are what you hear, that has been a new luxury for me.

It’s bigger, but isn’t the SE-01 kind of a Boomstar with presets?
Old 2nd March 2021
Gear Addict
I have a 8106 since a couple of months and I love it. A really meaty analogue sound. Love the Roland Filter with the 6DB switch. There you can get some very squelchy sounds. Soundwise one of the best Monos out there and its really versatile. I ordered mine with a little Mod...my LFO has a retrigger Mode. Very handy for those proper Sample & Hold sounds or just the LFO acting as a Envelope.

Its expensive...yes, but worth it. I can only recomend the 8106. The filter sounds lovley and with the 24/6DB switch you have a lot of possibilities. I have a Pittsburgh SV-1 if i want some SEM action...I just run the OSC out into the SV-1. Works like a charm.
Old 3rd March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

It’s bigger, but isn’t the SE-01 kind of a Boomstar with presets?
Yeah I guess it kind of is. The SE-02 just seems a bit dinky in comparison and the Boomstars seem like they will outlive me.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yeah I guess it kind of is. The SE-02 just seems a bit dinky in comparison and the Boomstars seem like they will outlive me.
I was talking about this but it actually seems more of a monster than a Boomstar plus presets:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...og-synthesizer

When I had the opportunity to touch an SE-02 it felt solid AF, but I can’t twist the knobs too comfortably:(. I wish they would have ditched the sequencer and spaced the knobs bit more. Oh well, I’m glad I went with a Boom, I really like experiencing what you see is what you hear. I haven’t experienced that for years and never with a synth that sounds so damn good.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I was talking about this but it actually seems more of a monster than a Boomstar plus presets:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...og-synthesizer

When I had the opportunity to touch an SE-02 it felt solid AF, but I can’t twist the knobs too comfortably:(. I wish they would have ditched the sequencer and spaced the knobs bit more. Oh well, I’m glad I went with a Boom, I really like experiencing what you see is what you hear. I haven’t experienced that for years and never with a synth that sounds so damn good.
Oh my bad, yeah the SE1X might be closer to what I need. It doesnt seem terribly expensive for what it offers.

With the Boomstar, how do you recall settings you like?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Oh my bad, yeah the SE1X might be closer to what I need. It doesnt seem terribly expensive for what it offers.

With the Boomstar, how do you recall settings you like?
Phone photos. Would be easier with better knobs on the bottom though.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
awesome drone boxes.. can’t say enough good things about the sound of these. the little knobs on bottom are small but I am really glad they placed them on there. not a big deal for me. A three voice would be amazing.
Old 3rd March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I am having some MIDI issues, they are solved with pressing the MIDI learn button on the back. It is a small annoyance every one in a while that seems to happen occasionally when I change sequences or stop and restart clock (or it could be random and the former assumption is just in my head).

Is fixing this what the SE MIDI EPROM mod is about? Has anyone gotten the mod? Is it worth it?
Old 26th August 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How are the mk2 owners liking these after a few years? Any issues like note holds / anything else pertaining to midi?

Been putting thought into the SE80 Mk2. It's really expensive, but it sounds really good. Not really looking for someone to convince me to buy. More so looking for reasons to consider other options.
Old 20th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Possible boom star 5089 midi issue please help.

Hi all I'm Trey and as many of you may know I'm totally blind, I haven't been on here in awhile hope you're all doing well and staying safe. Last night something strange happened to my boom star 5089, I was using it fine with the social entropy engine midi sequencer when suddenly it stopped receiving midi. Subsequently I discovered the midi cable wasn't plugged in so I plugged it back in. I also discovered the button too activate poly chaining was pressed I pressed it again, still no midi I reset the engine still no midi. The boom star is working in drone mode.

Does anyone know what the issue could be? Thanks everyone for your kind help.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound warrior ➡️
Hi all I'm Trey and as many of you may know I'm totally blind, I haven't been on here in awhile hope you're all doing well and staying safe. Last night something strange happened to my boom star 5089, I was using it fine with the social entropy engine midi sequencer when suddenly it stopped receiving midi. Subsequently I discovered the midi cable wasn't plugged in so I plugged it back in. I also discovered the button too activate poly chaining was pressed I pressed it again, still no midi I reset the engine still no midi. The boom star is working in drone mode.

Does anyone know what the issue could be? Thanks everyone for your kind help.

hello try nice to see you are still about

did you knock the midi learn button at the rear? this will help you get the midi channel stored again , it is next to the midi input if that helps

sounds like he is in vca mode, little toggle switch between sustain and release in VCA section, make sure it is down and not up. i am sure you know your way around but just just in case, the filter area has only one switch and the vca area has 3, you want the switch furthest to the right
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
hi mate thanks for this how do I activate midi learn mode on the boomstar? Thanks once again for all your help I'll PM you later on today :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
hello try nice to see you are still about

did you knock the midi learn button at the rear? this will help you get the midi channel stored again , it is next to the midi input if that helps

sounds like he is in vca mode, little toggle switch between sustain and release in VCA section, make sure it is down and not up. i am sure you know your way around but just just in case, the filter area has only one switch and the vca area has 3, you want the switch furthest to the right
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound warrior ➡️
hi mate thanks for this how do I activate midi learn mode on the boomstar? Thanks once again for all your help I'll PM you later on today :-)
send midi to it and push the button, it will grab onto the signal

there is also the overflow button next to the midi out, make sure that has not engaged because that is for connecting more units to get poly, if this is engaged i am sure it removes midi - has been a while since i owned boomstar

so you have three things to check and i think you will be fine.
Old 21st December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
send midi to it and push the button, it will grab onto the signal

there is also the overflow button next to the midi out, make sure that has not engaged because that is for connecting more units to get poly, if this is engaged i am sure it removes midi - has been a while since i owned boomstar

so you have three things to check and i think you will be fine.
I agree that this should help. midi is a little finicky on the Boomstar but clearing a stuck note with the midi learn button on back usually works. love my 4075 so much!
📝 Reply