Quantcast
Weird Disco - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weird Disco
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Weird Disco

I'd like to discuss disco and especially the more experimental side of disco itt.

What really interests me is the stuff that came along toward the end of disco's reign when (at least in my imagination) affordable digital recording equipment and instruments made it easier for anyone to have a go, and you had this period of experimental dance music that didn't really have a whole lot to do with the classic disco sound but was more just freaky people messing around in the studio and coming up with some cool ****. This pretty much led on to house music afaik. Would also be interesting to hear stuff from around this time that came from the big studios too. I'm sorry that I can't be more specific, but I don't really know much about this stuff. I've heard it being played by people like Theo Parrish in his dj sets. I know he was very heavily influenced by the likes of Ron Hardy and Larry Levan's style of djing, and I have a feeling that those two guys are pretty key when it comes to this stuff, but I haven't been able to find much specific info about the kind of stuff they played. It's quite a broad sound that I'm getting at and not that easy to explain, so maybe it would be better to post a few examples.

Some quite different sounds there, and I'm sure there are plenty of things that could fit in that sound even weirder and further out than these. Anyone else got any cool tracks they'd like to share? Don't really need to restrict it to the end of disco either, I just feel like most of the crazier experimentation happened then. But I could be wrong! So any tracks that fit into my vague description are welcome.
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You're prolly aware, and not that it matters... but just for the record... that Metro Area track is post-millennial; nearly 20 years after the era you mention... but, what-ho.

Space disco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia might be worth a gander if you aren't already up on it.
As would Nu-disco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ... but you have to dig through mountains of recent cheese from bandwagon jumpers.

This one is far left of field... but I likes-
Kango's Stein Massiv - Tobakk (Original Mix) :: Beatport
Shakes up a house club nicely!
Old 21st March 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
ESG is so damn funky. I played them 20 years ago in the club and the people went mad. xD

Try to search for the term "No Wave" - this will bring you some hits. Anyway, a few recommendations from me...

Tullio De Piscopo - Stop Bajon ( Tullio De Piscopo - Stop Bajon - YouTube )

Dinosaur L - Go Bang

The Clash - Magnificent Disco

Atmosfear - Dancing In Outer Space ( Atmosfear - Dancing In Outer Space - YouTube )

A Certain Ratio - Lucinda ( A Certain Ratio - Lucinda - YouTube )

A Number Of Names -- Sharevari ( A Number Of Names -- Sharevari 12'' - YouTube )

Klein & MBO - Dirty Talk ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgMZ6ZdpFb8 )

Liquid Liquid - Cavern ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjy5UvDg78w )
Old 21st March 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I don't know if this classifies as "weird"

Last edited by Reptil; 25th March 2012 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: trimmed
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Damn. You missed the revival by about 10 years.

Have you considered Public Image Ltd.?

Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There's a lot to explore in this area.....

I'd start with Strut Records' three 'Disco Not Disco' compilations. Excellent introduction to European and US stuff from this era - both synthesized and more traditional instrument based. Alexander Robotnik, Loose Joints, Connie Case, Aurthur Russell etc. A lot of this stuff has exactly the sensibility you describe. Not exactly 'dance music' but danceable interesting music made from a post-punk perspective.

Then the Mutant Disco compilations on ZE Records. More on an NY focus here.

Any Bob Blank, Larry Levan or Walter Gibbons remixes are going to be worth a listen. the 'Journey To Paradise' Larry Levan tribute compilation is a good place to start. For the later Garage era the closing weekend sets are available online.

For modern DJs playing this sound (not exclusively though) check out Optimo, James Murphy, Trevor Jackson anyone associated with DFA, and Mr Saturday Night. Although there are many more - a lot of this stuff has been highly influential on the past 10 years of post-punk, pre-house, italo, disco-punk, no-wave do daa.

One of my faves...

Six Sed Red - Bang 'Em Right (B-side on the Shake It Right 12" single) - YouTube
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The New York Noise compilations have some other good material in the same vein as ESG and Liquid Liquid.

And actually this sort of "nightmare dance party" sound was fairly common in post punk, no wave, NDW, minimal synth and related genres.

Old 22nd March 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Dj Harvey = weird disco

Sent from my ADR6300 using Gearslutz App
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Beats in Space
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Most of Lindstrom productions are experimental and good disco, like his latest EP.
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow some great tunes in here so far! The PiL / No Wave stuff veers a bit too far into the dark side of things for me. While I like dark music a lot, I was really looking for things with a more positive vibe. The kind of stuff that puts a smile on your face. You can almost hear the cheeky wink in the music. Halma, Reptil and Omsk all posted bangers! Thanks a lot! The Nu-Disco stuff that I've heard is a bit too reserved. Doesn't have the wanton wackiness of the original stuff. Bit too cool
Old 22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
and check some konk if you want more uplifing

http://youtu.be/gwluIkaoR0M
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If you really want to hear the obscure and rare in disco, I urge you to check out the shows at:

EBONY CUTS - rare disco / soul / funk & old school mixes by gloria & dj cuebism and digging deep DJs from around the world

Just be patient, that page may take bit to load as it was done all "analogue" without any flash or php etc..

Attached Thumbnails
Weird Disco-ebonycuts.jpg  
Old 22nd March 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebism ➑️
If you really want to hear the obscure and rare in disco, I urge you to check out the shows at:

EBONY CUTS - rare disco / soul / funk & old school mixes by gloria & dj cuebism and digging deep DJs from around the world

Just be patient, that page may take bit to load as it was done all "analogue" without any flash or php etc..

+1

Best disco mixes and the cutest host I have ever heard. IΒ΄m a long time follower of this show. Awesome tracks. I wish I would own this record collection.
Old 23rd March 2012
tun
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Google Daniele Baldelli, Beppe Loda et al. There are some amazing late 70's/early 80's mixes around if you look. Loads of good blog sites for this kind of stuff, and the DJHistory board is a good place to visit if you've time to search and sift through lots of old topics/posts.
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The rest of the album Empires and Dance is a great experimental pop record, but maybe a bit too dark.

Old 23rd March 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
you need patrick adams in your life
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dunno why I didn't think of this one before...

Old 23rd March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by worm ➑️
Wow some great tunes in here so far! The PiL / No Wave stuff veers a bit too far into the dark side of things for me. While I like dark music a lot, I was really looking for things with a more positive vibe. The kind of stuff that puts a smile on your face. You can almost hear the cheeky wink in the music. Halma, Reptil and Omsk all posted bangers! Thanks a lot! The Nu-Disco stuff that I've heard is a bit too reserved. Doesn't have the wanton wackiness of the original stuff. Bit too cool
As for Nu-Disco doesn't have wanton wackiness:

Old 24th March 2012
tun
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

a bit of a mix up of styles... but all excellent imho
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
By total chance I ended up in a Dalston basement dancing to this stuff on Friday night. It was a semi regular thing called 'Thing' and there was a guy called Gatto Fritto playing. He pretty much blew my mind for a solid 3 hours with a lot of heavy heavy sounds. I was too busy enjoying it to ask him for names but managed to catch him when he finished and got the info about one track which stood out in particular. It was an afro disco track by a group called Kabbala and the record was simply called Extended Dance Record. Its on discogs if anyone feels like checking it out. And if anyone gets the chance, check out Gatto Fritto because his record collection is great
Old 26th March 2012
tun
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Gatto Fritto LP from last year is good.

Dalston = good place to be for clubs/music!
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
awesome tracks guys! thanks a lot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFmjCyaGXwE
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
NYC Club staples back in the day:

Old 7th April 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yeah... I'm a bit thrown off by calling disco weird... first thing that came to my mind was Blowfly cause that's very B cult... or maybe Spontaneous Overthrow cause it sounds like dudes in their basement smoking angel dust..

So I'll just post an early 2000's jam that most people missed...

Old 7th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-feld ➑️

]
Ahh,this was my first ever 12" record.Bought it when it came out.Creepy record.

This track i first /bought/heard in 89.As always its vital to get this stuff on vinyl..........

Old 7th April 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Can you imagine if this was the actual music to the movie(s)?

Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…