Quantcast
Old Akais are sexy - the ultimate Akai thread - Page 61 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Old Akais are sexy - the ultimate Akai thread
Old 26th April 2021 | Show parent
  #1801
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
The 3200xl has different converters to the 3000xl.It also has balanced ins and outs.
Old 26th April 2021 | Show parent
  #1802
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akailama ➡️
Some people are bs me saying all 3000 sounds same, and sure is not.
I guess you didn't read thru some of the last few pages of this thread, huh?

groundhog days...

Old 26th April 2021 | Show parent
  #1803
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
My S3200XL has flatlined. Screen is blank, buttons don't do anything. Completely non-responsive. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?
Attached Thumbnails
Old Akais are sexy - the ultimate Akai thread-img_3891.jpg  
Old 26th April 2021 | Show parent
  #1804
Moderator
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno ➡️
PSU is on the list. I felt like if replacing the storage I’d use SCSI2SD rather than GoTek but I guess it I’m only saving short samples then that actually might be the simplest and cheapest option
Highly recommended.

You will need to have a SCSI card in the unit though and plenty of RAM if you plan on the sample CD content in the future. It is not hard to find Akai CDs on ebay. Building an image from the CD is child's play in linux: dd if=/dev/cdrom of=sampleCD.img.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech44 ➡️
My S3200XL has flatlined. Screen is blank, buttons don't do anything. Completely non-responsive. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?
Sounds like a PSU problem.
Old 26th April 2021 | Show parent
  #1805
Lives for gear
 
IM WHO YOU THINK's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
My S1000 has a high pitched noise that comes out of the outputs. I do need to replace the backlight on the LCD. (The screen is almost completely dark.)

Does it make sense to spend the dough to fix this? For years I've kicked the can down the road saying no, because the few hundred dollars I'd have to dump into fixing mine, could buy another one. Now that they cost more, does it make sense to fix it? Should I get used to trying to spice up soft samplers with maybe a tube DI and Lofi plugins?
Old 26th April 2021 | Show parent
  #1806
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
It definitely makes economic sense to fix it - all the guides look straightforward to anyone with a bit of skill, or not a massive amount of hours from a tech.

The price of them isn't going anyway but up.

For my own, it's got SCSI and 8MB so I will definitely at some point play with the sample CDs ... just got the box of floppies to have some fun in the interim
Old 26th April 2021 | Show parent
  #1807
Moderator
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK ➡️
My S1000 has a high pitched noise that comes out of the outputs. I do need to replace the backlight on the LCD. (The screen is almost completely dark.)
Contact this guy, tell him Don Solaris sent you, ask for a display for your Akai. As if he can install a slightly larger resistor, as his displays are a bit on the brighter side (not good for longevity). Please use Google translate to translate email to German.

studio.services.sahin (at) gmail.

Yeah it is 100 notes, but you will pay that much for 3 backlight replacements. Plus this display is heads and shoulders better quality. And is plug and play.
Old 26th April 2021 | Show parent
  #1808
Lives for gear
 
IM WHO YOU THINK's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➡️
Contact this guy, tell him Don Solaris sent you, ask for a display for your Akai. As if he can install a slightly larger resistor, as his displays are a bit on the brighter side (not good for longevity). Please use Google translate to translate email to German.

studio.services.sahin (at) gmail.

Yeah it is 100 notes, but you will pay that much for 3 backlight replacements. Plus this display is heads and shoulders better quality.
Thanks bro!
Old 30th April 2021
  #1809
Here for the gear
 
Hi everyone, long term lurker here. too shy to even register until now so it's a shame my first post had to be requesting help!!

I acquired an S1100 a couple of weeks and it appears in perfect condition both internally and externally, it's still with original screen, floppy drive, OS 4.3 etc etc.

The problems arises when in the RECORD ARM screen. Visually it doesn't appear to be receiving input and when I attempt to record the screen freezes and I have to power off/on again.

Same happens when I try to access the FX screen.

I've searched online for days and I can't find any reports of similar problems.

I don't even know how to begin diagnosing the problem and I can't seem to find a tech willing to look at it here in Valencia. I'm at a total loss :(

Any tips or suggestions before I throw in the towel?

Cheers

Last edited by robokris; 30th April 2021 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 1st May 2021 | Show parent
  #1810
BHW
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robokris ➡️
Hi everyone, long term lurker here. too shy to even register until now so it's a shame my first post had to be requesting help!!

I acquired an S1100 a couple of weeks and it appears in perfect condition both internally and externally, it's still with original screen, floppy drive, OS 4.3 etc etc.

The problems arises when in the RECORD ARM screen. Visually it doesn't appear to be receiving input and when I attempt to record the screen freezes and I have to power off/on again.

Same happens when I try to access the FX screen.

I've searched online for days and I can't find any reports of similar problems.

I don't even know how to begin diagnosing the problem and I can't seem to find a tech willing to look at it here in Valencia. I'm at a total loss :(

Any tips or suggestions before I throw in the towel?

Cheers
I would start with basic ram configuration, to see if you have a defective ram card.

take out all the expansions. try it without them.

next step would be the psu. try to get a new one or recap it.

another shoot would be the os eproms. try the old ones or get some new ones and try them out.
Old 1st May 2021 | Show parent
  #1811
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
I have a 3200xl, could be a faulty effects card, as it will not work without it installed.
Old 1st May 2021 | Show parent
  #1812
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW ➡️
I would start with basic ram configuration, to see if you have a defective ram card.

take out all the expansions. try it without them.

next step would be the psu. try to get a new one or recap it.

another shoot would be the os eproms. try the old ones or get some new ones and try them out.
Thanks for your recommendations

I've tried taking out the expansions, no luck.

Is a faulty PSU likely? If so, surely there would be other indicators? The caps look fine. In fact the whole machine appears barely used, even the screen is still very clear.

I should also note the METR and MOFF soft keys are not responding. I believe they toggle the graphic PPM, which, currently, doesn't show.

I forgot to mention, on the initial SELECT PROG page I get the message (vol: NO VOL. READ). I don't know if this is normal or relevant, I can't find reference to it anywhere.
Old 3rd May 2021 | Show parent
  #1813
BHW
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robokris ➡️
Thanks for your recommendations

I've tried taking out the expansions, no luck.

Is a faulty PSU likely? If so, surely there would be other indicators? The caps look fine. In fact the whole machine appears barely used, even the screen is still very clear.

I should also note the METR and MOFF soft keys are not responding. I believe they toggle the graphic PPM, which, currently, doesn't show.

I forgot to mention, on the initial SELECT PROG page I get the message (vol: NO VOL. READ). I don't know if this is normal or relevant, I can't find reference to it anywhere.
did you took out the FX Card?

Can you operate the Sampler from the buttons? Do they work as they should?

if the easy solutions doesnt work it is difficult to find the problem.

did you booted with only 1 memory board? did you tried different ones?

usually if it locks on record screen it could be a defective ram board. this is what i would try at first. take all ram boards out and try it with only 1 ram board. maybe one of these is defective. because it locks on recording screen.

else you could reseat the connectors.
Old 3rd May 2021 | Show parent
  #1814
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW ➡️
did you took out the FX Card?

Can you operate the Sampler from the buttons? Do they work as they should?

if the easy solutions doesnt work it is difficult to find the problem.

did you booted with only 1 memory board? did you tried different ones?

usually if it locks on record screen it could be a defective ram board. this is what i would try at first. take all ram boards out and try it with only 1 ram board. maybe one of these is defective. because it locks on recording screen.

else you could reseat the connectors.
I took out the DSP card. Is this what you mean by FX card?

When I do so, the buttons are completely non responsive, I assume this is normal?

Yes I've tried booting with only 1 memory card. only 3 cards, only 2 etc.
Old 4th May 2021
  #1815
Gear Addict
 
MonoTron's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
My S1000 became a lot more sexy this weekend, after fitting the new led screen and SCSI2SD.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Akais are sexy - the ultimate Akai thread-img_20210502_152218.jpg  
Old 4th May 2021 | Show parent
  #1816
Lives for gear
 
CarLofgren's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoTron ➡️
My S1000 became a lot more sexy this weekend, after fitting the new led screen and SCSI2SD.
Those colours are so fitting of its time.
Old 6th May 2021 | Show parent
  #1817
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoTron ➡️
My S1000 became a lot more sexy this weekend, after fitting the new led screen and SCSI2SD.
Did you solder an internal SCSI connector for SCSI2SD, or just plug in an external SCSI2SD module?
Old 6th May 2021 | Show parent
  #1818
Gear Addict
 
MonoTron's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno ➡️
Did you solder an internal SCSI connector for SCSI2SD, or just plug in an external SCSI2SD module?
I bought the S1000 with a SCSI card with internal connector allready fitted. I asked the seller, but he bougth it that way as well.

So not sure if its an S1100 SCSI board, or an S1000 board where someone soldered an internal connector to the allready internally prepared card.
Old 6th May 2021 | Show parent
  #1819
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
My tech is hunting down the appropriate connector to solder on as we speak!
Old 6th May 2021 | Show parent
  #1820
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
A standard pin header works just fine.
Old 6th May 2021 | Show parent
  #1821
Gear Addict
 
MonoTron's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno ➡️
My tech is hunting down the appropriate connector to solder on as we speak!
Shouldn't be too hard to find.
Really happy with it, works very fast and very easy to set up. Somehow the previous owner didnt get it working, i guess he should have flipped the scsi cable, because i only updated the scsi2sd firmware from the website and followed a website showing the right settings.
Old 6th May 2021 | Show parent
  #1822
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
What SCSI2SD did you fit, and did you install into the back panel so the only thing sticking out is the SD slot?

I might just use the external slot TBH
Old 6th May 2021 | Show parent
  #1823
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica ➡️
A standard pin header works just fine.
He is struggling to find one that isn't silly money, he thinks he has one in his storage ...
Old 7th May 2021 | Show parent
  #1824
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
A simple dual row pin header that costs 1$ is already on the expensive side and is something pretty much every person that tinkers with electronics has laying around in their parts bin anyway.
Old 7th May 2021 | Show parent
  #1825
Gear Addict
 
MonoTron's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno ➡️
What SCSI2SD did you fit, and did you install into the back panel so the only thing sticking out is the SD slot?

I might just use the external slot TBH
It was a SCSI2SD v5.0b i think. Someone from the dutch Synthforum printed a frontplate for me, this one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4694971

I put it where the floppy drive was, no mods needed, its almost flush and has only a little bit of extra room around it so its an easy fit.
I didn't want it on the backside, because there i cant reach it when it's racked.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Akais are sexy - the ultimate Akai thread-img_20210417_143027.jpg   Old Akais are sexy - the ultimate Akai thread-img_20210417_143044.jpg   Old Akais are sexy - the ultimate Akai thread-img_20210408_165011.jpg  

Last edited by MonoTron; 7th May 2021 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: Added some pics
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #1826
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozzer ➡️
That's incorrect. Akai S1100 can only take the proprietary Akai EXM005 and EXM008 (2Mb and 8Mb). They can be tricky to track down, especially the 8Mb boards. Better to but an S1000 or S1100 fully upgraded already.
I'm running a trio of Akai S1100's. 2 of them are 32MB and one is running at only 2MB. after waiting months for the seller to send more RAM (it was misrepresented) i finally decided to just move some RAM over from one of the others.

so this is weird. i am aware that older S1000's won't recognize the 8MB boards -- sees them as 2MB. i have one old S1000 like that. but this S1100 is doing the same thing. even with known good working 8MB boards, it only sees them as 1MWord (2MB).

anyone got a clue what might be going on? it's running 4.3 ROM's and works fine apart from this weirdness.

BTW, one of my S1100's has version 1.3 ROM's (i usually boot that one from floppy) which i find useful since the hardware diagnostics are accessible from there (and not available on 4.3). i did load the 8MB boards in question on that machine and they pass the RAM test.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #1827
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyespinoza ➡️
I'm running a trio of Akai S1100's. 2 of them are 32MB and one is running at only 2MB. after waiting months for the seller to send more RAM (it was misrepresented) i finally decided to just move some RAM over from one of the others.

so this is weird. i am aware that older S1000's won't recognize the 8MB boards -- sees them as 2MB. i have one old S1000 like that. but this S1100 is doing the same thing. even with known good working 8MB boards, it only sees them as 1MWord (2MB).

anyone got a clue what might be going on? it's running 4.3 ROM's and works fine apart from this weirdness.

BTW, one of my S1100's has version 1.3 ROM's (i usually boot that one from floppy) which i find useful since the hardware diagnostics are accessible from there (and not available on 4.3). i did load the 8MB boards in question on that machine and they pass the RAM test.
Copied from internet:
S1100 DIP Switch settings
-------------------------
If you are using one or more 8 Megabyte boards, then you must set some
switches on the motherboard - switches 1 & 2 ON and switches 3 & 4 OFF.
If you ever return to using purely 2 Megabyte boards, then set the
switches back to the factory standard - switches 1 & 2 OFF and switches
3 & 4 ON.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #1828
Gear Addict
 
MonoTron's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyespinoza ➡️
I'm running a trio of Akai S1100's. 2 of them are 32MB and one is running at only 2MB. after waiting months for the seller to send more RAM (it was misrepresented) i finally decided to just move some RAM over from one of the others.

so this is weird. i am aware that older S1000's won't recognize the 8MB boards -- sees them as 2MB. i have one old S1000 like that. but this S1100 is doing the same thing. even with known good working 8MB boards, it only sees them as 1MWord (2MB).

anyone got a clue what might be going on? it's running 4.3 ROM's and works fine apart from this weirdness.

BTW, one of my S1100's has version 1.3 ROM's (i usually boot that one from floppy) which i find useful since the hardware diagnostics are accessible from there (and not available on 4.3). i did load the 8MB boards in question on that machine and they pass the RAM test.
Also the boards have to be in a certain order. Not sure which order works, but there are some websites telling which works and which doesn't
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #1829
Gear Addict
 
MonoTron's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote from: https://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/smem/8Meg.html

Quote:
I used to make 8 Meg cards for the S1000/S1100. Check my page:

http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/smem/

for details of my cost-effective 32 Meg cards for these samplers and for
the S2800/S3000/S3200/CD3000 machines as well.


For both the S1000 and S1100 (the S1000-KB would be identical to the
S1000) there are two issues regarding memory board installation:

1 - Placement of the boards in the correct slots.

2 - Setting jumpers (S1000) or switches (S1100) on the motherboard
to make the machine accept 8 Meg cards in addition to or
instead of 2 Meg cards.

This information is adapted from the documentation I provided with my 8
Meg cards - which was based on Akai instructions, the instructions which
came with other memory boards and my experience. I believe it to be
correct.

Before giving those details, two notes:

1 - The Akai and other brands of 2 or 8 meg cards are rather
dodgy in the S1000 and S1100 since the motherboard's signals,
when applied to those cards, violate the timing requirements of
the RAM chips on the cards. So if the chips did not work properly
it would not be surprising. A description of the problems
would only make sense to someone who understands DRAM timing
diagrams.

Consequently, Akai and other memory boards do not always work
correctly - particularly when the sampler gets hot. (Some people's
samplers get *extremely* hot because they are in racks with no
ventilation or other way of dissipating heat.)

I redesigned my 8 Meg boards to overcome this timing problem. Still
there are many other challenges to a designer of such boards,
such as the Address/Data bus on the S1100 having a bunch of
capacitors on the motherboard (an Akai fudge to reduce the
timing problem just mentioned) which can cause severe ground bounce
in the memory board when it reads data from RAM onto the bus.

My 32 Meg boards completely overcome the timing, ground bounce and
all other problems I am aware of.


2 - My 32 Meg boards behave like four 8 Meg boards, and it does not
matter what the motherboard jumper/switch settings are. These
boards typically dissipate less heat than four 2 or 8 meg boards.



Now to the jumpers, switches and board arrangements. This information
is believed to be good - but it is your responsibility what you do with
your sampler. This information is sufficient to assist an experienced
technician - it is *not* intended to encourage people who don't know
what they are doing work on a dangerous (mains voltage) and delicate
(for many reasons, including static electricity) machine like an Akai
sampler. *Do Not* request further information to help you! Everything
you need is here - and if you don't understand it, get a technician who
does understand it to do the work!


S1000 Jumpers
-------------

The machine, by default, is configured for 2 Meg boards only. To make
it work with one or more 8 Meg boards, you have to cut two tracks on the
*underneath* of the motherboard, and install two wires there or on the
front side. This means you have to lift the entire motherboard out of
the machine. This is hard work, since even with all the cables
disconnected, it is a squeeze. Note very carefully exactly where the
cables go. I seem to remember one of them is labelled on the PCB
differently from the way it is actually connected.

(I am describing this from memory and by looking at a rear-view PCB
layout in the service manual. The diagrams below will look like garbage
if you view this with a proportional spaced font, so be sure to select
Courier or some other fixed width font instead.)

Near pin 1 and 20 of IC31 are 8 pads in two rows of 4. Normally, there
are two tracks connecting two pairs of pads - on the underside of the
PCB. You need to cut those two tracks and install two small jumper
wires to wire up the other two pairs of pads.

Initially, looking from underneath the PCB, with the rear to your left
and the left of the PCB to the top, you have:

O--O O--O
| |
O O O O

Cut those track and wire it up so that it becomes:

O--O O--O
| |
O O O O


Normally, W12 and W13 drive D0 (pin 1) and D1 (pin 2) of IC32. The
changes make W14 and W15 drive these pins instead.


S1100 DIP Switch settings
-------------------------

If you are using one or more 8 Megabyte boards, then you must set some
switches on the motherboard - switches 1 & 2 ON and switches 3 & 4 OFF.
If you ever return to using purely 2 Megabyte boards, then set the
switches back to the factory standard - switches 1 & 2 OFF and switches
3 & 4 ON.


Board arrangements for S1000/S1100
----------------------------------

Here are what I understand are the the allowable combinations - which
include some combinations not documented by Akai. The four memory
"slots" are connectors at the rear right of the motherboard. They are
numbered right to left, 0 to 3. (Note the S1100 has another connector,
labelled for the DSP board - which is a big board with a Motorola
DSP56000 chip on it. This is not a memory board "slot".)

The allowable combinations of purely 8 Meg boards are:

Slot 3 Slot 2 Slot 1 Slot 0

8

8 8

8 8 8

8 8 8 8


I assume the same pattern should be followed if you are using only 2 Meg
boards - but make sure the jumper/switch settings are for 2 Megs.

If you are using one or more 8 Meg boards, set the jumper/switches as
noted above. The allowable combinations of mixed 8 and 2 Meg boards
are:


Slot 3 Slot 2 Slot 1 Slot 0

2

8 2

8 8 2

2 8 8 2


The only combination not mentioned here is three 8 Meg and one 2 Meg.
You can experiment with that, since there are only four possible
arrangements, but I would guess that 8, 8, 8, 2 would be the best.

- Robin
Old 4 days ago
  #1830
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Thanks so much. I will investigate and report back!

Update: Dip switches worked as described. Thank you Huey & MonoTron. You're the best!

Last edited by tonyespinoza; 3 days ago at 04:29 PM.. Reason: update
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 58 views: 14962
Avatar for Karloff70
Karloff70 29th October 2012
replies: 2221 views: 337477
Avatar for Toyvizier
Toyvizier 3rd February 2021
replies: 52 views: 17585
Avatar for kazper
kazper 11th June 2015
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump