The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Old Akais are sexy - the ultimate Akai thread
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harukiya ➡️
I see, so you can send a sysex message that actually contains the sample data itself along with a program, and you can also send program change messages.

I've got a SCSI2SD set up with my S1000 and I was hoping to be able to send a message to say "load these samples and these programs from the hard drive" - is that possible? I'd prefer to avoid sending samples over SYSEX which I assume takes a while (but maybe I'm wrong). I can't find anything about that in the manual, but the manual has a sneaky little disclaimer that says "get in touch with your dealer to find out about all the SYSEX stuff."
I don't think you can load from hd (scsi2sd) with a program change. I've read you can load another volume with a program change, but I guess that's from ram and not HD. I don't think a program change has enough info in it to point to which HD, which volume and which program with samples it needs to load

I've just fitted a scsi2sd in my S1000, so a whole new world opens up. Any tips or tricks are more than welcome. Is there a windows utility to make and transfer s1000 programs to the SD card in the scsi2sd?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
You need to make your own mental picture of what the difference is by comparing. I think of S1000/1100 as more flexible than 900/950, yet still nicely papery coloured for drums and woody for chords. And sweet as when you eq after. Like say put a kick in an S1000/1100 and an S3000/3200. The 3000 will sound bigger off the bat. But it won't have the paper or the wood. It will be nice and direct but in a more shiny DAT machine sounding way. And once you have boosted bass back onto the S1000 kick and some sizzle on top it RULES, far nicer than 3000 series.

The 900/950 is a little grittier. Nice too, but I have a DSS-1 which gives me a better flavour of 12bit grit IMO. And sweet analog filters. Another nice 12bit is original EPS (or was it 13...). But I'd start with an S1000 or S1100. S1100 is 'better', more output, 'better' converters....but I'm not sure I like it better.....
You have me wishing my S1000 worked. (And that I kept my MPC 3000)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Im offended by the implications that Old Akais are sexy.. I thought this was a safe space & all inclusive..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Mods please rename this thread to

Emotionally Mature Akais And Other Samplers Of The Same Era Which Are Equally Valid Are Full Of Warmth Love Light And Hope But If That's Not Your Thing That's OK Too
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have an MPC 60 OG I’m trying to fix up. Not sure if I should kit it out or just try to bring it back to original glory?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald ➡️
I have an MPC 60 OG I’m trying to fix up. Not sure if I should kit it out or just try to bring it back to original glory?
My MPC 60II flooded in Hurricane Katrina.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf ➡️
Mods please rename this thread to

Emotionally Mature Akais And Other Samplers Of The Same Era Which Are Equally Valid Are Full Of Warmth Love Light And Hope But If That's Not Your Thing That's OK Too
I dont feel safe when my Akais are being objectified..
Gear Guru

Youre all gonna get stern warnings for being so off topic, mark my words!
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoTron ➡️
I don't think you can load from hd (scsi2sd) with a program change. I've read you can load another volume with a program change, but I guess that's from ram and not HD. I don't think a program change has enough info in it to point to which HD, which volume and which program with samples it needs to load

I've just fitted a scsi2sd in my S1000, so a whole new world opens up. Any tips or tricks are more than welcome. Is there a windows utility to make and transfer s1000 programs to the SD card in the scsi2sd?
Maybe I'm taking the wrong approach- does anyone have any recommendations for making it easy to load up the right programs and samples for lots of projects? I'd love to be able to save a message in my DAW to load everything for each different project, but maybe I have to just take notes.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoTron ➡️

The s950 can load new programs from disk using program changes, so I had look in the s1000 manual and it does it too:

"MIDI Program Change messages may be used to load volumes. Use the "vol load number" parameter on this page to assign a number from 1 to 128 for the current volume, or set this value to OFF. On receipt of a Program Change message, the S1000 will scan all the hard disk volumes for a number set in this page which corresponds to the Program Change number in the MIDI message. The volume will then be loaded (the currently-selected program number will change to 1, and program number 1 of the volume which has just been loaded will be selected). It is possible to assign the same number to more than one volume. In this case, the first volume encountered (starting at the next volume after the current volume) with this number will be selected. In this way, automatic loading of data can be performed by a sequencer without the need for manual intervention."

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl ➡️
Man I cant solder for toffee...tried to put a new backlight on my cd3000i and its just a blob of solder and zero working backlight....are those oled screens plug n play or something else I can stuff up?
Good news for you, although it's hundred bucks.

The replacement screen will be available very soon. In Germany though, so I guess import tax for you. It is LED based so no more foil replacement. However I would still advise drilling a hole in the back of the unit, adding a 47k resistor in series with log 1k pot. And then it's fully pimped. Turn it full clockwise and it is as dim as original with EL foil. If you need more light, set to middle, or if you want Kerzwile style turn all the way out. (K2500 and K2600 owners will understand the last sentience)
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➡️
Good news for you, although it's hundred bucks.

The replacement screen will be available very soon. In Germany though, so I guess import tax for you. It is LED based so no more foil replacement. However I would still advise drilling a hole in the back of the unit, adding a 47k resistor in series with log 1k pot. And then it's fully pimped. Turn it full clockwise and it is as dim as original with EL foil. If you need more light, set to middle, or if you want Kerzwile style turn all the way out. (K2500 and K2600 owners will understand the last sentience)
Cheers Don! Thats the price range im thinking of, we pay no import taxes in the U S of A bro..ebay or an online store?

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
He is still out of stock. Will let you know. I expect within 15 days. Covid got us all screwed. No LCD displays anywhere.

Looking myself to buy several: Wavestation, D70, 01RW, K5000. They are all the same screen that fits MPC ie MPC2500. But unfortunately the S1000 and S1100 is different display.
Gear Guru

Quote:
He is still out of stock. Will let you know. I expect within 15 days. Covid got us all screwed. No LCD displays anywhere.

Looking myself to buy several: Wavestation, D70, 01RW, K5000. They are all the same screen that fits MPC ie MPC2500. But unfortunately the S1000 and S1100 is different display.
Cheers mate

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Cheers mate
Update: By the end of this week.

How many do you need? It's 100E a piece. I can reserve a couple.
Gear Guru

Quote:

is this for the S1000 or the CD3000i?

I only need one for myself for the 3000?

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW ➡️
Don solaris said its the same machine only supporting regular ram, which is not true. because the XL Version does support the EB16, which the non XL does not. And the XL have Multiprograms which the non XL does not.
I like S3000 for its effects. It was used by Biosphere. But direct playback is the same. You can test it with a simple sinewave sweep 20-20.000 Hz.

Quote:
I only need one for myself for the 3000?
Ok just checked. Yes, same screens S1000, S1100, S3000, S3000XL.

IMPORTANT: The screen for S3000 produces much warmer sound at the output than the XL version! Wow! Sounds so much warmer!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Any info on which color the screens are?
I'd guess akai S blue, but I must say those negative white on black or real eye candy.

Where are they to be sold?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:

IMPORTANT: The screen for S3000 produces much warmer sound at the output than the XL version! Wow! Sounds so much warmer!
Yup, but only if you mount it in an S1000.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the pointer!
Will try this in the near future. I wonder if it's able to search through different scsi id's, partitions and volumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutjob ➡️
The s950 can load new programs from disk using program changes, so I had look in the s1000 manual and it does it too:

"MIDI Program Change messages may be used to load volumes. Use the "vol load number" parameter on this page to assign a number from 1 to 128 for the current volume, or set this value to OFF. On receipt of a Program Change message, the S1000 will scan all the hard disk volumes for a number set in this page which corresponds to the Program Change number in the MIDI message. The volume will then be loaded (the currently-selected program number will change to 1, and program number 1 of the volume which has just been loaded will be selected). It is possible to assign the same number to more than one volume. In this case, the first volume encountered (starting at the next volume after the current volume) with this number will be selected. In this way, automatic loading of data can be performed by a sequencer without the need for manual intervention."
Gear Guru

Quote:
I like S3000 for its effects. It was used by Biosphere. But direct playback is the same. You can test it with a simple sinewave sweep 20-20.000 Hz.

Put me down for one for a CD3000 thank yew v much
BHW
Lives for gear

Quote:

You said its the same machine:

The differences are:

Hardware: Different AD DA, Different FX Unit.
Software: Multiprograms

So there is a difference in Hardware and Software. But for you it is the same machine. Sure... It has different hardware and software but it is the same

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Put me down for one for a CD3000 thank yew v much
Done. The good thing is that his display is plug and play. Here is his contact: studio.services.sahin (at) gmail. I recommend to use google translator. I think he speaks no Americano.

Just tell him you will pay him directly to Paypal and see if he offers some discount. (as eBay is taking a big chunk of your sale)

Quote:
You said its the same machine:
Well if you read my posts, you will see I did not. I've said they run same software. I believe you confused me with that other guy who wanted your private 'photos' or something like that.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Done. The good thing is that his display is plug and play. Here is his contact: studio.services.sahin (at) gmail. I recommend to use google translator. I think he speaks no Americano.

Just tell him you will pay him directly to Paypal and see if he offers some discount. (as eBay is taking a big chunk of your sale)

Luckily Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch
BHW
Lives for gear

Quote:

Well if you read my posts, you will see I did not. I've said they run same software. I believe you confused me with that other guy who wanted your private 'photos' or something like that.

so your not interested in my private pics?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
so your not interested in my private pics?
Oh god, here we go again ........

Well I just added a MPC500 to the collection
Not sure its old enough to be sexy - but I am digging it
even with a MPC Live and 2000XL SE

I would be more likely to throw the MPC500 in a backpack over the Live
which is one reason I got it.

Last edited by lovekrafty; 4 weeks ago at 10:00 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I am offended by the title of this thread.
Could a mod please change it to, " Old Akais are spacey - the ultimate Akai thread "
This could have the additional benefit of reducing the frothing speculation frenzy on the used Akai market.
Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie ➡️
I am offended by the title of this thread.
Could a mod please change it to, " Old Akais are spacey - the ultimate Akai thread "
This could have the additional benefit of reducing the frothing speculation frenzy on the used Akai market.
Thanks.
More like " Old Akais makes me want to show photos of my private parts - the ultimate thread"

Last edited by lovekrafty; 4 weeks ago at 10:33 PM..
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty ➡️
Oh god, here we go again ........

Well I just added a MPC500 to the collection
Not sure its old enough to be sexy - but I am digging it
even with a MPC Live and 2000XL SE

I would be more likely to throw the MPC500 in a backpack over the Live
which is one reason I got it.
More likely to throw it out the window

Those pads, holy crap I even stuck fat pads in but sheeet
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
More likely to throw it out the window

Those pads, holy crap I even stuck fat pads in but sheeet
Don't really have that with the mpc500 pads..
They work okay on my machine, and otherwise full level or 16 euh 12 levels are your friends.

OK have to admit pads on 2000xl and 2500 are better
📝 Reply