The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How powerful of a synth is NI Razor?
Old 6th April 2013
Tuesday Knight
Dude, why are you even arguing, what you said and my reply is quoted in the post above. The fact that it's built inside a modular system when you can add to it or change it is a massive advantage, imo.
Old 6th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Razor and Harmor are very good sounding synths. Razor is way easier to program. Harmor goes further.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b2fa653 ➡️
I hate razor, such a pain in the ass to use, i want to just load something and play not navigate menus to get to my engine then my patches.
yeah... there are less menus involved with razor than with most soft synths. I really don't know what you're talking about, Bryan.

🎧 10 years
1. Does Harmor ever go on sale?
2. Can it operate as a standalone?

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipBonanza ➡️
i have found a large scope for it way beyond fx and dub step
examples? never heard any cool sounds made with razor (except always the same boring fx and wobbles).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
Razor and Harmor are very good sounding synths. Razor is way easier to program. Harmor goes further.
both are additive synths but thats it. razor is a joke in comparison with harmor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune ➡️
1. Does Harmor ever go on sale?
2. Can it operate as a standalone?
yes and yes
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
Tuesday Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by riphead ➡️
examples? never heard any cool sounds made with razor (except always the same boring fx and wobbles).

both are additive synths but thats it. razor is a joke in comparison with harmor.

yes and yes
Lol.

Komplete : Synths & Samplers : Razor : Artists | Products

It's good enough for The Prodigy and Modeselektor, but not you?
Old 7th April 2013

🎧 10 years
Razor is really versatile. It's not just for dirty bass leads or scifi fx, I use it for super clean sub bass that just cuts thru everything.
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaeground ➡️
Razor is really versatile. It's not just for dirty bass leads or scifi fx, I use it for super clean sub bass that just cuts thru everything.
i've also been able to get some really good percussion sounds off of it.
Old 30th March 2020 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Just to bring a dead thread to life. I've had Razor for a little while, and had only scratched the surface because I had falsely assumed the subtractive style interface was a limitation, but after delving into it over the past couple of days have completely changed my mind.

The way the filters, phasers, and reverb work together with the various frequency/pitch shifters for the partials, you can get an enormous range of rich sounds. The fact that the filters, phasers, and reverb are not effects or modifiers applied to a pre-existing sound source, but actually part of the creation of partials makes a big difference. You can actually put a lot of reverb in bass without muddying up the sound, and you can get some seriously fizzy pads.
Old 30th March 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've also spent some time with Razor recently, and believe it has myriads of very, very narrow (awesome) sweet spots. So once I started to patch accordingly, going for a "less is more" approach" regarding i.e. modulation, it sort of revealed itself. And it's a pretty amazing synth.
Old 31st March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I still love and use Razor quite often. And its still one of my favorite vocoders even though styles have changed.

RAZOR was released in a period when Native Instruments was at its zenith as a very innovative company.

It's one of the best NI ever released IMO.
Old 31st March 2020 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud ➡️

It's one of the best NI ever released IMO.
I think so.
📝 Reply