The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Poly 800 with a Toshiba Libretto laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb built in!
Old 5th March 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Korg Poly 800 with a Toshiba Libretto laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb built in!

I modded my Korg Poly 800 by embedding a Toshiba Libretto 50ct laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb where the programming decal is on a normal Poly 800. Here is a demo of my synthesizer. I call it the FrankenKorg 800.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Oqk1jU-Oo

Since I've made this video, I added a microphone input for the Libretto's soundcard. I'm also waiting to install the Hawk 800 mod, which hasn't shipped yet.
Old 5th March 2012
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 5th March 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Here are some pictures of the FrankenKorg 800 during construction and of the inside before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Korg Poly 800 with a Toshiba Libretto laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb built in!-0.jpg   Korg Poly 800 with a Toshiba Libretto laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb built in!-1.jpg   Korg Poly 800 with a Toshiba Libretto laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb built in!-1-4.jpg   Korg Poly 800 with a Toshiba Libretto laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb built in!-1-5.jpg   Korg Poly 800 with a Toshiba Libretto laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb built in!-1-6.jpg  

Korg Poly 800 with a Toshiba Libretto laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb built in!-2.jpg   Korg Poly 800 with a Toshiba Libretto laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb built in!-2-2.jpg   Korg Poly 800 with a Toshiba Libretto laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb built in!-2-3.jpg   Korg Poly 800 with a Toshiba Libretto laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb built in!-2-4.jpg   Korg Poly 800 with a Toshiba Libretto laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb built in!-2-5.jpg  

Korg Poly 800 with a Toshiba Libretto laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb built in!-3.jpg   Korg Poly 800 with a Toshiba Libretto laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb built in!-4.jpg   Korg Poly 800 with a Toshiba Libretto laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb built in!-5.jpg   Korg Poly 800 with a Toshiba Libretto laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb built in!-6.jpg   Korg Poly 800 with a Toshiba Libretto laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb built in!-7.jpg  

Korg Poly 800 with a Toshiba Libretto laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb built in!-8.jpg   Korg Poly 800 with a Toshiba Libretto laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb built in!-9.jpg   Korg Poly 800 with a Toshiba Libretto laptop and an Alesis Nanoverb built in!-10.jpg  
Old 5th March 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
you, sir, are a bit mad!

very nicely done!
Old 5th March 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Wow!! That's amazing!! :D Who needs any other instrument?!
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Was there a reason for this, other than "it can be done"?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaT ➑️
Was there a reason for this, other than "it can be done"?
Here's a couple guesses..
-Better internal effects
-Better sequencing
-Better MIDI implmentation(?)
-Better programming

I think it's awesome. While the integration of a laptop may be overkill, for any of my own applications that is, an internal nanoverb would be sweeeet. Especially if you could still route external signals to it!

Last edited by nebelfrau; 5th March 2012 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: Fix
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A poor man's Neko...

I have been thinking of building a knobby synth with BCR 2000 and CME UF50 which has a Plugiator ASX installed. Gotten as far as having a proof-of-concept hack done (with Plugiator ASX "modded" to have a separate Midi input), but after completing it succesfully I kind of lost the momentum...

It would offer eight different synths in one casing, with knobs to tweak as much as desired.
Jet
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
haha wow
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool. You should have added a velocity and aftertouch sensitive keyboard also.
Old 8th March 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebelfrau ➑️
-Better internal effects
-Better sequencing
-Better programming

I think it's awesome. While the integration of a laptop may be overkill, for any of my own applications that is, an internal nanoverb would be sweeeet. Especially if you could still route external signals to it!

Thanks! External signals can still be routed through the Nanoverb; I kept all of its features intact when I put it into the keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse ➑️
Cool. You should have added a velocity and aftertouch sensitive keyboard also.

Yes, I definitely would if I could find a keyboard that would fit inside the case. Otherwise, if I want to use velocity and aftertouch, I can hook it up to another midi keyboard for now.
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think you should just use the laptop to display the parameter list.
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebelfrau ➑️
-Better internal effects
-Better sequencing
-Better programming

Seems like spending a bunch of money for modifications to make an, at most, mediocre synth a little better when maybe you should have just bought a more capable synth in the first place. IMO.

But looks like fun mad project. Enjoy the bends.
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Genius !
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ehh... it just comes across as someone who has too much time on their hands to me. Use all that creative energy to make me some good music! Not a trivial toy.
Old 10th March 2012
Ged
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
wow, this is too cool for words, I have yet to bloody record my Poly 800 in a track, but cant wait to add some verb to the brass sounds - never able to get those brass sounds in soft synths except diva (at a 40% cpu hit!!!)
Old 11th March 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 ➑️
Ehh... it just comes across as someone who has too much time on their hands to me. Use all that creative energy to make me some good music! Not a trivial toy.
Shame on you. This is not a toy. It's a work of art. How is something like this any less of a legitimate form of creativity and self-expression than a piece of music? The closed-mindedness of some creative people (who should really know better) just astounds me. How is your statement different than the father who tells their kid, "Stop wasting all of your time making music. Shouldn't you be using all of that time and energy to do something more productive with you life?"

It's two sides of the same coin, bro. You are that guy.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
call me a debbie downer but you know in 2045 people will look back at this time as the age of the 'circuit benders' and scorn them for cutting up so many vintage pieces. I'm all for using the old gear and combining different old technology, but I mean was this really necessary? I think this kind of thing is selfish to say the least, what about after you are gone... the synth will remain butchered. There are plenty of mods that can be performed that are non invasive, and will keep the original design intact for future generations to enjoy.

Don't get me wrong, I think the OP is a talented person and I really like the synth, I just don't agree with altering pieces of history like this.

Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler477 ➑️
call me a debbie downer but you know in 2045 people will look back at this time as the age of the 'circuit benders' and scorn them for cutting up so many vintage pieces. I'm all for using the old gear and combining different old technology, but I mean was this really necessary? I think this kind of thing is selfish to say the least, what about after you are gone... the synth will remain butchered. There are plenty of mods that can be performed that are non invasive, and will keep the original design intact for future generations to enjoy.

Don't get me wrong, I think the OP is a talented person and I really like the synth, I just don't agree with altering pieces of history like this.

Just when I thought I've heard it all
Sometimes I just can't believe the ignorance of some people!

ps- great job on your mod! Continue to enjoy your music/electronics & do whatever you wish with YOUR equipment! Thanks for posting
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Seriously, what the hell? It's a Poly-800. There are ten's of thousands of these out there. People throw them in the trash if a key breaks or a jack comes loose. They get slammed constantly as being cheap "junk" not worth looking at. Yet, when finally someone does something unbelievably cool with one, it's suddenly a crime against vintage gear? It's somehow "selfish?" Excuse me, buddy? Give me a f_cking break.

If you think it's such an endangered piece of history, you can "rescue" one right now off of ebay for less than $200. There are half-a-dozen of them for sale there on any given day. Better hurry, before the modders and circuit benders get them all!
Old 14th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dMiurge ➑️
Shame on you. This is not a toy. It's a work of art. How is something like this any less of a legitimate form of creativity and self-expression than a piece of music? The closed-mindedness of some creative people (who should really know better) just astounds me. How is your statement different than the father who tells their kid, "Stop wasting all of your time making music. Shouldn't you be using all of that time and energy to do something more productive with you life?"

Oh please, you hippies throw paint on the wall and call it "art"...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
why you dont try to make some proper music yourself first before attacking other people for using their time for things they like to do?

to difficult task? just keep trying...

and to the op..

nice work.. looks good.. and can be fun to have an own sequencer and recorder on board...

actually any synth should have one
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dMiurge ➑️

thats a new type you mainly find in electronic music and mostly they are from the us.. probably the pain of being such late adopters or lame adopters within a country that pioneered so much.
Thats makes them agressive..and the ignorance is more or less a selfdefense mechanism because otherwise their big egos would collide painfully with their more than little contribution.

Not so long ago i was happy about every person i met that was into electronic music production and found them all nice people. However was for the longest time a rather exclusive club.. 100 djΒ΄s for one producer...

but since a few years and thanks to the internet that opinion has changed . The everybody can do it phenomenon has definitely lowered the standards by now...because everybody is doing it now.. and as in the rest of society we have at least 50% total dicks now in our ranks.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I actually made a living doing nothing but music for 10 years. Who else can say that? Probably not you.

This is getting to too out of hand, so I'll just say:

Keep fixin' up those old poly-800's !!!! Yay!!!
10 years? what are ten years..thats nothing.. your generation havent even managed to invent an own musical style yet..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil ➑️
I think you should just use the laptop to display the parameter list.
or just run an editor
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
What generation do you think I'm from?

LOL, I'm guessing you're an old dude that made your money off the "old model". Now we're all stuck with your bull**** leftovers.
you sound in your post like somebody that just has survived akne... sorry to say that..
when you cant appreciate the ops project and cant show respect for the achievement of full filling his goal why do you bother dissing him?

To prevent him from wasting his time? wow thats really noble of you... but useless.. because its done already.. so..too late
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry, I was venting frustrations in the wrong place.

I apologize. If it makes him happy, then more power to him.
Old 15th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I apologize.
Wow, first time I've seen this sentence in this forum, but by far not the first time it would have been appropriate. Good on you!
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Ehaz, saw this on youtube a few weeks ago and was flabbergasted. As an owner of a resurrected Poly-800 that I got for $50, that was super-inspiring.

Cheers!
πŸ“ Reply