Acoustic guitar drilling - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acoustic guitar drilling
Old 17th February 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Acoustic guitar drilling

Hi

I hope this is an applicable question for this subforum, I know most threads relate to synthesizers and other digital applications...but this forum has always proved a valuable source of information, so here goes.

I have a sound hole pickup in my acoustic and am sick of the dinky wire going to my amp/DI box. I have some 1/4" jacks with reinforcing plates, I used one to replace the non-plate jack on my bass, which was always wobbly. I was just going to drill a hole and install one of these plate jacks in the location you see it in most electric guitars, but in reading it seems most acoustic players opt for the endpin jack, and some have said the side wood in the guitar is too thin and can be damaged by a jack there.

1. I've seen acoustic guitars with side pickups which seemed to work fine
2. I've always found endpin jacks clumsy and annoying for some reason
3. I already have the regular jacks, and they have the reinforcing plate, which might help the strength (?)
4. I don't want to break my guitar in spite if the above 3 statements.

Anybody have experience or advice in this area (or a redirect if this is an inappropriate question for this subforum)

Thanks!
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
There is a guitar sub forum, this might do better in there.
Old 17th February 2012
Old 17th February 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Ah, found it...thank you. Hopefully moderator can delete this one to avoid clutter
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…