The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TX802 Firmware Versions
Old 15th February 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
TX802 Firmware Versions

It appears that the Yamaha TX-802 went through many different firmware revisions starting from Version 1.0 (22 APR 87), 1.1 (25 JUN 87), 1.2 (31 JUL 87), 1.3 (27 OCT 87), 1.4 (25 MAR 88), and ending with version 1.5 (17 JUN 88). Did these upgrades improve the sound or functioning at all or are they generally superficial?
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
bumping this.
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
apparently there were problems receiving sysex in earlier versions. one of the later versions also replaced stock sounds with new stock sounds.

try joining the yamaha black boxes group on yahoo and asking there.
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you! I have version 1.0 and sysex (midi buffer) often clogs up .I'll probably give the latest firmware a go if it addresses sysex problems.
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
keep in mind that this is an old-school synth, so you can't just download the latest firmware.

you have to buy and install a chip that has the latest firmware burned in.

folks in the yamaha black boxes group will steer you in the right direction.
Old 6th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes ➡️
keep in mind that this is an old-school synth, so you can't just download the latest firmware.

you have to buy and install a chip that has the latest firmware burned in.

folks in the yamaha black boxes group will steer you in the right direction.
Yes I know,I've just bought a DX7 special edition ROM and the seller also had the
TX802 eproms in stock but I thought I'd ask before purchasing.
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There do appear to be some bugs in both my TX802 and my DX7II which sometimes prevent it from receiving patches properly via sysex.

How do you get the OS version from them?

Also, my DX7II has a Grey Matter E! card. Does this completely replace the Yamaha ROM, or work alongside it?

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb ➡️
There do appear to be some bugs in both my TX802 and my DX7II which sometimes prevent it from receiving patches properly via sysex.

How do you get the OS version from them?

Also, my DX7II has a Grey Matter E! card. Does this completely replace the Yamaha ROM, or work alongside it?

D.
For the TX802 you just need to press 8 & 9 buttons while powering it up ,don't know about the DX7II.

I also experience problems while using my TX802 with MidiQuest 11,nothing major but I hope the firmware update will fix that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by belzrebuth ➡️
For the TX802 you just need to press 8 & 9 buttons while powering it up ,don't know about the DX7II.

I also experience problems while using my TX802 with MidiQuest 11,nothing major but I hope the firmware update will fix that.
I also experienced a problem with Midiquest 11, and was told by their support that the reason is firmware bugs. This turned out to be correct in the case of other synths that were quirky with MQ11, such as the Roland JD990, which worked dramatically better after an OS upgrade, so I have no reason to doubt that OS bugs are causing the problems.

It is interesting that the TX802 and DX7 both have exactly the same bug. They must be partially based on the same OS code.

D.
Old 1st March 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by belzrebuth ➡️
Thank you! I have version 1.0 and sysex (midi buffer) often clogs up .I'll probably give the latest firmware a go if it addresses sysex problems.
Thread revival. I have v1.1 and get "Trap Error!" for nearly everything, except playing the unit through MIDI-OX or a DAW. Did you have a similar error?

Did you ever updgrade the ROM to 1.5? I just bought a chip of EBay and will install. I'll post here again the result as an FYI.
📝 Reply