The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drum Machine Owners - How Does FXpansion Tremor stack up against Machinedrum & Jomox?
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Drum Machine Owners - How Does FXpansion Tremor stack up against Machinedrum & Jomox?

I've been contemplating a MD or Jomox the past few months. For the MD I really like the parameter locks feature and the fact that you can do everything in one place. The Jomox judging by samples has a massive fat punch and you can load your own samples too. The DRM mk3 also appeals to me for its tweakability.

I was wondering aside from the hands on hardware arguments is it really worth spending Β£1000+ unless your using it live?

With the Jomox you are only getting a few analog engines anyway and the MD is digital like Tremor. FXpansion are probably more advanced in terms of being up to date with current synthesis methods and techniques aren't they?

I tried tremor and really liked all the possibilities, grit, filter and tone shaping abilities. Sounds seem big and it's quite a creative bit of kit.

Should I bother with hardware drum synthesis?
Old 10th January 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames ➑️
Only you can answer that. My opinion is if you are playing and intending to use it live the hardware is 99.9999% of the time more stable.

Tremor sounds awesome and can produce some very original sounds, The price of this originality and flexibility is high CPU usage for a 'drum machine'
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Drum machines are fun! It's debatable if they're worth 1000€+ though. The Vermona is a good, cheap option, but it's sound might not suit everyone, it sounds very german, in lack of a better word.

I used to have a Jomox (999), but I got bored of it's sound, it's difficult to make it sit well in a mix imo. Now I got the Vermona and I like it better, though I've been thinking of selling it to fund an Octatrack, to be used mostly as a drum machine.
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Muhahahaha....Tremor is miiiine now!
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
tremor is not a competitor to analog drums ,it s strenght is more for digital drums as it lack the depth, punch ,insert everyhting people like about analog here .
Old 10th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract ➑️
tremor is not a competitor to analog drums ,it s strenght is more for digital drums as it lack the depth, punch ,insert everyhting people like about analog here .
Maybe you just not very good with it? ;P 'Normal' people really don't hear the things a lot of you guys do, I hope at least some of you are aware of that.. IMO, it's just down to preference and features/performance if you use Hardware Drums or Software these days. I'm not some kind of VST Kiddie that thinks Analog is for 'old guys' in their sheds but if something works, why fix it? The road to perfection is the road to madness.

Quote:
tremor is not a competitor to analog drums ,it s strength is more for digital drums as it lack the depth, punch ,insert everything people on the intermet like about analog here .
Fixed that for you too.

Check it out yourself, that's the best way.
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i like it but it won't replace a 909 or a 808 or even a jomox do you need better monitors? it s good in his own way like ultrabeat microtonic , drumspillage,zebra ,largo ...
Old 10th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i like it but it won't replace a 909 or a 808 or even a jomox do you need better monitors? it s good in his own way like ultrabeat microtonic , drumspillage,zebra ,largo ...
That's totally fair enough, no one can tell you what you prefer. Different ears, different tastes, that's what makes music so varied (or should :P) I was just making the point that if you can get results use them and don't worry about the 'what ifs...?'.

Heard good things about Drumspillage, MAC only though :(
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i like tremor but for different sound ! to bring something new and not as replacement of something else
Old 12th January 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Tremor has some great and original sound, but as far as DCAM synths don't really sound analogic, the same sentance is valable for Tremor drums. It does not sound as sweet and fat as my Tempest analog drums.
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
If you have the money and like the MD user interface...hands on approach of Jomox and analog sounds, definitely.
Its just not the same thing to tweak than a plugin but i must say Tremor is convenient, good GUI too.

I'm trying Tremor Demo, many things to dig in. Great drum synth and i think it should be the only DM for some.

I recorded some funky stuff right after i get the demo today, cool drum machine:

Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
from what i have heard i prefer the sound of tremor over the machinedrum. haven't heard much jomox so can't really comment but i thought my vermona was better at the things it does over tremor.
Old 13th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
As if any of those had more punch than a good digital drum machine.

Maybe you need new converters, more high end?

Jomox Airbase has this ridiculous midrange boost. You can easily get it with an EQ, just push 2 kHz.

And unprocessed 909 sounds rather lame, I have one at home.

There is SynthEdit freeware out there which sounds harder.
Old 13th January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames ➑️
Muhahahaha....Tremor is miiiine now!
I think you probably made the right choice. If you have to ask yourself the question "software or hardware?" then the answer is you probably don't care enough about the extras you get with hardware. I don't mean to say this in a demeaning way, as it's the same answer I gave myself (though I'm not 100% sure on Tremor yet).

I look at it like this. You can't have everything. Everything is.. expensive. Huge. Complicated. Frustrating. So you pick and choose and make compromises. I'm a guitar player so I have a few guitars that cost as much and more than a Tempest. So when I say, $2K is more than I want to spend, I mean on something that's not a core part of how I make music. Synth playing comes next, so I've outfitted myself with a few nice hardware synths, but nothing I have cost over $800. So, while I do program beats and use rhythmic parts in most of my music, it has to take a back seat. So I've decided that Maschine and some software is for me.

As for Tremor... I'm not totally sure yet. It's true that it offers a lot of flexibility for not too much money, but at the same time it demands most of your CPU. It took me quite a bit of time to get a nice big round hip-hop style bass drum programmed into it... and I'm not sure if I liked the result any more than other software solutions I already have. On the other hand microtonic allows me to tweak a sweet sounding drum up so quickly and barely touches my system resources. I have to admit that 80% of the time I just find a kit in Maschine or Battery and I'm done with it and it sounds fantastic. When I'm really lazy I'll reach for Stylus RMX. Sure, not original sounds, but they sound great to my ears and I'd rather focus on the originality of the note placement.

So I'll see. I fully admit that I probably need to spend more time with Tremor and a manual before I dismiss it.
Old 14th January 2012
mfx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hardware - Stable - Can be limited unless load own samples - more tactile - can be very expensive
Software - not always brilliant - can be upgraded and sometimes versatile - requires a pc.mac - not always possible to load samples
Hybrid Hardware/software ie Akai Renaissance

I prefer Maschine - very versatile - two hardware components - versatile controller for midi - can load sample as well as other plugins

Purchased Tremor - love it. Going to use it for percussion and drum textures alongside Maschine

For what my humble opinion is worth - Hybrid
Old 14th January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer ➑️

maybe at low volume out of your monitors... but not on the PA's I've heard..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
As if any of those had more punch than a good digital drum machine.

Maybe you need new converters, more high end?

Jomox Airbase has this ridiculous midrange boost. You can easily get it with an EQ, just push 2 kHz.

you re trolling or have really bad ears, but you acutally didn t get what i said..read once again
Old 14th January 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
or have no feeling in your chest...
Old 14th January 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yeah, synthedit kicks are far better than 909's...............
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
After using samples for a base for most of my drum parts, I recently got the Elektron Machinedrum.

Altough I havent finished integrating it into my setup, some things have become very apparent to me.

So much of the electronic dance music I have been listening to is based upon working with a drum-machine interface; live tweaking and re-adjusting of the same pattern is what makes the sound of tehcno in general, and the Machinedrum makes it so easy.

It will not be my only source of drums, but it is so inspirational compared to any software I have tried. So immediate, fun and live! But expensive. Somehow that really helps me to concentrate on it
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
mac owners should definetly demo drumspillage , this software deserve to be more known.

from my little use of tremor i have find it rather weak in the low end and punch departement but good for sound that sit in the mids, high mids , it's maybe my programing but with ultrabeat ,drumspillage or lot of synths i have no problem
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
from my little use of tremor i have find it rather weak in the low end and punch departement but good for sound that sit in the mids, high mids , that maybe my programing but with ultrabeat or drumspillage i have no problem
Whut? Did you miss the 'hold envelope" on the vca?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Haarp ➑️
Whut? Did you miss the 'hold envelope" on the vca?
nope but i have to try it more,it could be my programing for sure.
so far i find tremor shine for strange experimental sound and percussion, for these sounds some qualities find in some analog box are not a must for me

if u-he make a drum synth with diva sound quality that would be something
Old 14th January 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
TBQH, I have only used it once in a real world application, just a snare, it sounds little like a ludwig or whatever but it does sound very nice and cuts right through the mix like a razor with the TG 12413 on the drum bus.

Maybe this is specific to me because I don't like the sounds of the 'classic machine' snares, I prefer something a bit more abstract but at the same time snare-like and Tremor can deliver these in minutes.
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
me too i really like it for abstract sounds but not really as a analog emulation,it s more a competitor to the machinedrum i guess
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

Tremor has a very nice well laid out U.I
I like the poly rhythmic capabilities...i'd like to see this in ALL DAW's and drum machines..it's really a brilliant feature and so well implemented.

Tremor appears to be a software competitor to the DSI Tempest as it's a virtual analogue drum synthesiser and does not rely on samples at all.

it's a low cost alternative for those looking for a Tempest type of result in drum sounds.
I currently have 3 hardware drum machines, Yamaha rx5, korg DDD1 and a korg electribe MX [sd]
i've been looking into Tempest...it's rather expensive and the O/S is far from feature complete...the Tremor software might just do it for me and synthesised drum programming....my alternative is maybe a korg microsampler or the sampling version of the Electribe.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➑️
maybe at low volume out of your monitors... but not on the PA's I've heard..
you must joking, right? Who said that software would sound lame over PAs?

The lamest toy synth will sound HUGE at 110 dB.

What an argument ...

Quote:
you re trolling or have really bad ears, but you acutally didn t get what i said..read once again
the apparent problem is that you didn't get it, homie. What monitors are you using? I love it to read reactions when somebody "disses" holy 909. People always tried to process it in all kind of ways to overcome the boring sound ... mixer channel overdrive, etc. then its great.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
People always tried to process it in all kind of ways to overcome the boring sound
Not that I'm against processing, but I love the sound of my(and some other peoples) 909 unprocessed. I can listen too it for hours at a time with out finding it boring.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch ➑️
Not that I'm against processing, but I love the sound of my(and some other peoples) 909 unprocessed. I can listen too it for hours at a time with out finding it boring.
you are becoming old and nostalgic, my friend.

if you wrote, I can play on my acoustic guitar for hours,
I would understand, there are an infinite amount of possible
tones, but here .... Isnt electronic music about innovation?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
you are becoming old and nostalgic, my friend. ?
Old maybe but not nostalgic Your only as old as the synth your tweaking
I just like the sound. Whats wrong with that ?

]
Quote:
if you wrote, I can play on my acoustic guitar for hours,
I would understand, there are an infinite amount of possible
tones, but here .... ?
I couldn't listen to acoustic guitar for more than a few bars with out wanting to switch it off. I dont like the sound of them..
When people slide their fingers up and down guitar strings (electric and acoustic) while playing, it has the same affect on me as others get from nails on a blackboard or chewing cotton wool. It makes me physically cringe.

Quote:
Isnt electronic music about innovation?
Some is ,some isn't.Thats a whole other topic.

How is using an acoustic guitar any more innovative than usong a 909 ?
It's been pretty much the same acoustic guitar sound in countless songs for how many decades now ? Jeez, they dont even process them half the time.oh ,wait. That was your argument
πŸ“ Reply