The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU MTP AV network cable (AppleTalk serial cable)
Old 8th January 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
MOTU MTP AV network cable (AppleTalk serial cable)

I have recently bought a second Motu MTP AV and would like to network it to my primary USB MTP to give me 16 in 16 out midi functionality.

I gather I need an AppleTalk mini din serial cable and cannot find any information pertaining to where to buy or how to make one up as such.

I did find a few discussions with dead links and some confusing detail, so any clarity would be awesome.

Does anyone have any info, pin outs, places to buy or even better --- one to sell?

Thanks

Rack
Old 8th January 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hi that would be the rs-422 cable. It's still available, everywhere. It was used on older apples (before USB), using a propriety format called "Local Talk" to connect printers etc..
information about the protocol: http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/info/RS-422.html
pinout here: http://pinouts.ru/SerialPorts/MacRs422_pinout.shtml
ebay: MOTU MTP AV network cable (AppleTalk serial cable)http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Seri...item5d2e019295
FYI here's a thread that discussed the same topic: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...nitor-8-a.html
Old 8th January 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Fantastic - thanks Reptil
Rack
Old 31st March 2018
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I tried to network two MTP AV (Usb and Parallel) but it does not work !
Following the guide on Motu website (MOTU.com - Networking the MTP/AV USB).

MTP AV Usb is running 2.0.1 and MTP AV Parallel is running 1.2.0.

This is it:
1) Connected both Net ports in the rear of interfaces, using the "localtalk" cable in bundle with the MTP AV Parallel version;
2) Power on the MTP AV Usb and setting it as in Motu guide (NET PORT=MTP, This box ID 1-8)
3) Power on the MTP AV Parallel and settings as in Motu guide (NET PORT=MTP, This box ID 9-16)
3bis) i tried also to use values MMC Device ID #20 (as default) in MTP AV Usb and #21 (or #20 as default) in the MTP AV parallel but same result: does not work!
4) Switch off the interfaces and power on, but my Mac Pro 5.1 with Sierra and Clockworks see only the MTP AV Usb and not the 16 ins/outs of the two inferfaces.

I'm running the latest Motu midi drivers 1.6 (73220) for OSX Sierra and works perfectly with my MTP AV Usb since its release.

Tried also to connect a midi device to the MTP AV parallel and this interface receive correctly the signal, so the midi channel led and the Net led is blinking , but nothing blink in the MTP AV Usb that seem not receive anything from MTV AV Parallel.
Also i tried to change the internal battery in both MTPs, but this does not solve the networking problem.
Thinking that is the Net cable not working? But it was sealed in its cellophane and always correctly stored, opened by me for connecting the two interfaces.
Can you help me to solve?
Old 6th February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco33 ➡️
Can you help me to solve?

Resurrecting this. I´ve got three of those 8+8 combos connected so far, recognized by the Windows drivers as three 16 port units. Function and timing tests are to be done.

Play with the boot order, ie MTP first then computer and vice versa.

Your setup sounds right, I´d get a different cable and try that one. Also check for bent pins on either end of the cable.

Keeping my fingers crossed it´s not the network port on either of your boxes.
Old 2nd March 2019
Gear Head
Oh, and one more thing: Check the cable pinout.

Networking MTPs does not work with 1:1 cables, like for example the Lindy 31532.

You will need a cross cable, like Lindy 31531. This is the pinout:
Attached Thumbnails
MOTU MTP AV network cable (AppleTalk serial cable)-lindy-31531-pinout.jpg  
Old 21st August 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Just ordered a Monoprice 6-Feet MDIN8 M/M Cable for Mac+/Imagewriter II, Beige (100517) off of Amazon.ca
essentially $11 shipping in.

Should do the trick.
📝 Reply