Quantcast
Is there any synth with a realistic electric guitar sound in it? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is there any synth with a realistic electric guitar sound in it?
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Is there any synth with a realistic electric guitar sound in it?

Most synths or workstations suck big time at emulating electric guitars.

The Motif XS which I heard last some time ago is still... yuk... not there, the grunge or balls of an electric guitar is not to be found.

Is there anything that can do a quite decent job at pulling it off?

Is the V-synth or Jup 80 a good candidate ?
Old 27th November 2011
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
No, all synths can really do is basically.. classical guitar (very hard to play!!) .. .and hair-metal leads (fun but stupid).

yeeap..
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
totally opposed to soft synths? vir Electri6ity is awesome, but it takes more CPU than anything ive encountered.
Old 27th November 2011
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
audio sample!!
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would say Rob Papen RG, but I have only heard demos of it. Anyone ever use it?
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Reason has some excellent guitar sound presets in its samplers.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Yamaha CS6R has a pretty cool electric guitar, but as someone mentioned...sample...get a friend that has some great guitar sounds and can do some notes and chords for you..from there, you can modify and play them often very convincingly.
Old 27th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd ➑️
Reason has some excellent guitar sound presets in its samplers.

For real ?
Old 27th November 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
program 116, "Metal Maniac" from Korg Trinity - one of the nicest distorted guitar tones I've heard.

However, this is a very subjective subject, even guitar players can't decide what is a good tone, and they can vary so much it really all boils down to personal preference. Plus, as a keyboard player, a lot of the success of a sound like this comes with your playing technique.
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My andromeda does some excellent muted guitar sounds ala power chords and also a good muted string pluck
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlyman ➑️
For real ?
Yep. Would you like me to show you some?

Old 27th November 2011
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
samples samples.. we all want samples.

I like your samples...
Old 27th November 2011
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
A big part of electric guitar tone is the amp/FX, run a physical-modeled string sound through some outboard or a VST amp sim and you might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
these are some examples of sampled electric guitars used in some production music (over 15 years ago) All of these tracks feature the same two samples.
Attached Files

little sister.mp3 (3.89 MB, 8513 views)

Poldisc2.mp3 (1.84 MB, 7175 views)

Hawkfilm.mp3 (2.04 MB, 7020 views)

Hawkdoc.mp3 (1.33 MB, 6602 views)

Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
JD-800 has some really nice and playable guitar patches (the best one is in that book of patch sheets that came with the synth). There is one with inbuilt feedback and you can assign aftertouch to the expression pedal for wahwah sounds (I can't remember how much of it was preset and how much was tweaked by me).
Or you can disable all the effects (you'll end up with a completely unusable click/sinewave sound) and use your guitar amp or amp emulation for the rock'n'roll.
Have fun!

Cheers,
Bert
Old 27th November 2011
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
electric guitar is as complex in expressiveness and possible sounds, as any synth, so what you want is like u wanna emulate playstation 4 on windows 7

though v-synth demo by japanese guy was cool
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec.Koner ➑️

though v-synth demo by japanese guy was cool

Start at 40 seconds. He goes through some pretty cool features. This is the closest I've heard.

Old 27th November 2011
Deleted 38a4a95

Sugar Bytes Guitarist
Old 27th November 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
What about Omnisphere? Does that have any great electric guitar sounds?

I'm not too big on distorted guitars, but I want a guitar sound thats a bit cleaner to play solos on.

What VST or hardware am I looking for? Will the Motif XS rack not be good enough?
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think maybe closest emulation you can get from hardware synth is Yamaha EX-5 / EX-5r / EX-7. There's Yamaha's unique DSP algorithm effects called FDSP and that was sadly only included for the synth EX-5/5r and "lite" version EX-7 and was never continued afterwards. FDSP includes various very incredible and useful effects including PWM, Ring modulation, electric piano pickup but also electric guitar pickup algorithm that brings you incredible warm and right color into the tone.

Listen these presets:

http://www.synthmania.com/Yamaha%20E...d%20Switch.mp3

http://www.synthmania.com/Yamaha%20E...Gt-Santana.mp3

http://www.synthmania.com/Yamaha%20E...Big%20Mute.mp3

http://www.synthmania.com/Yamaha%20E...gy%20Strat.mp3

http://www.synthmania.com/Yamaha%20E...Gt-Grunger.mp3

http://www.synthmania.com/Yamaha%20E...20Gt-Blood.mp3

http://www.synthmania.com/Yamaha%20E...Silvertone.mp3

http://www.synthmania.com/Yamaha%20E...0Gt-Benson.mp3

I'm not much into guitars but yet I think these are great presets for what they do, and yet they are only presets which could be programmed for far better than.
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
There are plenty of guitar players in your area, or on the internet, or even on GS, who will play something for you thats real, creative, and probably even for free. If this application is for real music, and not some corporate jingle shenanigans, why bother spending hours trying to tweak something that wont sound as good or be as interesting as the real thing?

Single note bass and drum hits are one thing to emulate, but guitar is another... Native instruments has some pretty good samples with their scarabee, but its more in the funk/pop vein. If you are going to do it, sampling is the only way, but if you are going to make your own samples, you might as well make a real track as well!
Old 27th November 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have been pretty impressed with Orange Tree Samples Evolution Guitars. The acoustic is wonderful. I haven't used the Electric, but the demo's sound good.

Electric Guitar Samples for Kontakt - Orange Tree Samples

disclaimer- I have no connection whatsoever to Orange Tree Samples- I just like their stuff. I am a classical cellist, still waiting for someone to create decent string instrument samples!
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmichal ➑️
I have been pretty impressed with Orange Tree Samples Evolution Guitars. The acoustic is wonderful. I haven't used the Electric, but the demo's sound good.

Electric Guitar Samples for Kontakt - Orange Tree Samples
This. The best thing since sliced bread.

Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
that sounds pretty good but its just DRENCHED in verb there's just too much ermmm 'linearity' to the guitar sound it doesn't change enough from note to note it's in too much of a constant sweet spot

i don't think guitar is an easy instrument to emulate on a synth so much of the sound comes from your fingers and hands and your playing technique

samples>synth in this case

Acoustic Legends HD

Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yamah VL1
Old 28th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ ➑️
Yamah VL1
I agree. I don't have experience with the VL1 but had a VL70m for a few years and it had a couple of impressive guitar presets. The VL1 can surely do better.
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie H ➑️
that sounds pretty good but its just DRENCHED in verb there's just too much ermmm 'linearity' to the guitar sound it doesn't change enough from note to note it's in too much of a constant sweet spot

i don't think guitar is an easy instrument to emulate on a synth so much of the sound comes from your fingers and hands and your playing technique

samples>synth in this case

Acoustic Legends HD

Ha! The quest for good electric guitar samples ultimately drove me to learn guitar. Now that's an entirely new gear rabbit hole to go down.
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yamaha VL1 metal lead and bass guitar

sadly modelling died there, just imagine with the extra processing power we have now.... Yamaha just said f*ck it and left it there
Attached Files

5_05Distortion.mp3 (785.3 KB, 7126 views)

VL1_BassGtr.mp3 (497.2 KB, 5981 views)

Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Kurzweil 1000-GX has scary good solid body, hollow body, nylon string, steel string, acoustic and electric basses as well as mutes, harmonics. One seriously underappreciated box and I have yet to hear those samples in another Kurzweil product.
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
for comparison and reference

πŸ“ Reply