The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg Monotron varients!
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

got email today from thonmann.de saying both monotrons [delay and duo] are on their way!

excited!!!!!
Old 27th February 2012 | Show parent
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
I just got my Duo today (actually 2 - 1 for me, 1 for a friend).

I am disappoint.

The 2 VCOs on both of the Duos I have will lock together if they are closer than a few Hertz in frequency, or if the 2nd VCO is set to a multiple of the 1st VCO. This makes it near impossible to get the type of slowly detuning synth sounds that people tend to like. I can tune things somewhat close to a nice slowly beating unison, and then the waveform will suddenly leap to a static pulse wave, that often sounds quite nasal.

I'm not sure if this is a "feature" of the Duo, in order to get specific intervals, or if it is due to coupling of the VCOs through the power supply. Probably the latter. Regardless of the cause, it makes it much more difficult to get the types of slowly beating sounds I like in my synths. I could use my own signal processing to fatten things up (ValhallaÜberMod makes unison sounds out of simple synth waveforms), but this kinda defeats the point of having a 2 VCO synth. Plus, the sound of a single waveform synth through a chorus will be different than hearing the 2 VCOs beating through a nonlinear VCF.

Has anyone else got their Duos yet? If so, have you found this to be the case?

I wonder if there are any simple mods that could reduce the coupling. I'm no expert on analog (far from it - my soldering skills are pretty poor), but it seems like there could be some improvement with isolating the VCOs from the power supply. Or maybe there is only so much you can do with the 3.3 volt power suppy that those 2 AAA batteries provide. I tried sticking some fresh Duracells in there, and had the same issue.
Old 14th March 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
anyone answer whether adding the resonance mod to the delay basically gives you the same sound as the original model (with delay turned to zero obviously)? and is the output any less noisy on the newer variants?
Old 21st March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog ➡️
Cool I guess, but I really hope this leads to bigger and better things, its hard for me to get excited about something so limited. What I really want to see is a more advanced monotribe (lets call it the PolyTribe heh) for say $699, ideally with basic ES1 style sampling tossed in, I think it would be a big hit and could even create a whole new subgenre of music...
Best product Idea I heard in a while. An ESX2 with 2 or 3 monotribe voices (Inc ability to route samples through monotribe filters) would rule
Old 2nd April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarara ➡️
anyone answer whether adding the resonance mod to the delay basically gives you the same sound as the original model (with delay turned to zero obviously)? and is the output any less noisy on the newer variants?
According to Sonic Labs review they are less noisy than original.
Old 2nd April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 ➡️
According to Sonic Labs review they are less noisy than original.
Not that much less. I have both, and they're both still pretty damn noisy. Fun none-the-less. If you only get one, go with the Delay.
📝 Reply