The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Juno 60 vs Juno 6 sound
Old 21st November 2018
Deleted 06b951a
I had a Juno 6 waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back, and a Juno 60 just a couple of years ago. Both cool, if limited, synths (prefer the JX-3P for most things but that's a different tale). Loved the arp/punch of the 6/60 (which the 106 I had also didn't have but that instead had a more liquid smooth tone and nice sub end).

So 6 vs 60 over a decade apart I couldn't be used as a witness, but I do recall the 6 was a touch less tame sounding than the 60, the 60 was possibly a bit smoother and maybe cleaner, both punched liked mofos, but the 6 from memory only always felt a bit more raw and unrefined (not always in a good way). 60 didn't last long here as I found it was weak in one or two areas (vs the polysix, JX-3P next to it) and I got bored of all junos quite fast even though they sound beautiful.

As others said, it could be less to do with any designed in differences and just calibration/aging (my Juno 6 I had in the early 90s so was a lot newer than my Juno 60 in 2013 or w/e it was), 20 years newer in fact.
Old 21st November 2018 | Show parent
Deleted 26d6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy ➡️
Yeah old thread I know but I'm wondering which schematics were people reading back in 2013. Here's the chorus settings for the Juno 6 and 60 from the service manuals we have today:

Juno-6:

Chorus I - 20Vpp 2.5 sec
Chorus II - 20 Vpp 1.5 sec
Chorus III - 2.6 Vpp 0.124ms

Juno-60:

Chorus I - 20Vpp 2 sec
Chorus II - 20Vpp 1.2 sec
Chorus III - 1.6Vpp 1 sec

So basically, slower chorus I in the Juno 6, roughly the same chorus II and completely different chorus III, which is both a lot faster and deeper in the Juno-6. The guy saying the chorus sounding different in both was absolutely right.

I have also noticed a considerable difference in the VCA electronics, as the Juno-6 is based in the famous BA662 and the Juno-60 replaced it with a more standard uPC1252H2 the Juno-106 also had.
Interesting... I remember fixing the chorus on that absolutely mint 60, and keeping that 6, but didn’t want to post again. People on here with their gear will argue about anything that goes against the money they spent. Or they know and don’t want people to buy up all the juno 6s: For good reason too. I bought that juno 6 for 300$ lol. Me and my big mouth.

@ ToneControl that’s how I felt too when I had both. It’s the reason that if I was getting a Juno 60 today I wouldn’t calibrate it. Kinda take my chances on what character it’s developed over the years. The more beat up the better sound haha

@ Robo celot send me one
Old 21st November 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneKontrol ➡️

So 6 vs 60 over a decade apart I couldn't be used as a witness, but I do recall the 6 was a touch less tame sounding than the 60, the 60 was possibly a bit smoother and maybe cleaner, both punched liked mofos, but the 6 from memory only always felt a bit more raw and unrefined (not always in a good way). 60 didn't last long here as I found it was weak in one or two areas (vs the polysix, JX-3P next to it) and I got bored of all junos quite fast even though they sound beautiful.

As others said, it could be less to do with any designed in differences and just calibration/aging (my Juno 6 I had in the early 90s so was a lot newer than my Juno 60 in 2013 or w/e it was), 20 years newer in fact.
Interesting, others seem to prefer the 6 for the same reasons: a bit rougher and misbehaved. Also that chorus III setting sounds delicious to me. I also wonder if there’s an audible difference between quantized scanned parameters and free-running CVs. I guess I’ll know soon enough, as I have a 6 coming my way.
Old 7th January 2019

🎧 5 years
Where did you guys get these Juno for cheap? I’m looking for one.
Old 7th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➡️
The 6 & 60 use identical chorus circuits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 26d6446 ➡️
I will never believe that even if anyone paid me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 26d6446 ➡️
The chorus on my Juno 60 was broken. I retract all statement. Sorry guys. NMS and anyone else. I apologize!
Just because it's so unusual for anyone on Gearsltz to ever admit they were wrong about anything - props to 'Deleted 26d6446' for fronting up here.

This Forum could do with a bit more humility like this.
Old 7th January 2019

🎧 5 years
ok I'll bite.
I don't want to add to any myths but I too have a preference for the Juno6 over the 60.
I have played and worked on dozens of both and my honest opinion is based on a good bit of experience. I find the chorus and overall tone of the Juno6 preferable.
I won't speculate whether it's any differences in the HPF, final VCA (on 60) and/or the chorus but it is definite for me. I currently have a few 6's and 60's and the pic attached is the one I have wired up in the studio...(2nd pic shows some of the Juno's together). I've loved them for years and starting hoarding them back when they were going for ~$300 - sadly for my wallet I also sold my Jupiter 8's (overrated) around the $3400 mark!
Attached Thumbnails
Juno 60 vs Juno 6 sound-image1-21-.jpg   Juno 60 vs Juno 6 sound-dsc_0168.jpg  
Old 7th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by azone2 ➡️
I currently have a few 6's and 60's and the pic attached is the one I have wired up in the studio...(2nd pic shows some of the Juno's together). [I]I've loved them for years and starting hoarding them back when they were going for ~$300
Never mind the differences - that's just a beautiful collection of Junos to behold!

Roland really lost the plot when they replaced the wooden cheek-ends on the 106 with those revolting hollow plastic ones - first thing I did with mine (along with renewing all the voice-chips) was fit it out with proper wood!
Old 31st August 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Juno 6 was my first analog poly. Followed by the 60 (still here). I remember that the 6 sounded a bit warmer, a bit more magic. But I sold it anyway (no memory).
Old 31st August 2021 | Show parent
Deleted 26d6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann ➡️
Just because it's so unusual for anyone on Gearsltz to ever admit they were wrong about anything - props to 'JblKid95' for fronting up here.

This Forum could do with a bit more humility like this.
I missed this, but another forum member did find out the circuits were different which matches my observation compared to my brand new 60 at the time, but just to be fully transparent my beat up 60 def needed a new chorus. Sold the brand new one because it felt “dead.” I miss the Juno days. I can’t believe how much the price has risen. From 800$ to 3000$! While this thread was running
Old 14th October 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudez ➡️
I picked up a Juno 6 to possibly replace my 60, but it sounds surprisingly different. They're basically the same, but the 6 seems slightly dirtier-sounding, whereas the 60 is a tiny bit cleaner and punchier. Could this indicate the actual unit needs to be serviced, or have other people noticed this subtle difference?
I know it's kind of a rare case for someone to actually have both models, but figured I'd ask anyway.
no, juno 6 does sound rougher and more direct. I liked the smooshed 60 more. Basically the circuit around the HP filter is responsible for the difference.
Old 14th October 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann ➡️
Never mind the differences - that's just a beautiful collection of Junos to behold!

Roland really lost the plot when they replaced the wooden cheek-ends on the 106 with those revolting hollow plastic ones - first thing I did with mine (along with renewing all the voice-chips) was fit it out with proper wood!
the sides of the 106 are beautifull., its actually the 60 that got more often poshed up by metal Side Parts Like Jupiter 6.
Attached Thumbnails
Juno 60 vs Juno 6 sound-c54bfaad-e8ad-4aa6-a0c9-0193075fafb5.jpeg   Juno 60 vs Juno 6 sound-d547b597-d33b-4a68-bf25-111e42e9ad3f.jpeg  
📝 Reply