Quantcast
Mixing dubstep down to cassette - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing dubstep down to cassette
Old 17th August 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Mixing dubstep down to cassette

Right, so there's this really really old Sony 2-deck hi-fi system I just remembered that we have. And I've been working on really heavy electronic sounds for quite a while now.

I'm pretty bored today, and all of them are basically done anyway. So I'm gonna do a few demo runs to see the fine-tuning needed to sound alright on cassette, and mix them down again directly to the deck from the hi-fi's line in.

Bet it's gonna sound crap, though, heh. Would there be a noticeable "cassette" sound, though?
Old 17th August 2011
AvS
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There will definetly be a noticeable "cassette" sound. I just bought a tape recorder my self actually but its a big 1/4inch 2 track Revox - sounds awesome! Cassette will definetly have more color, but proberbly in a cool lofi way.
Old 17th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
isn't dubstep a;; about the ultra low frequency. Cassette won't be able to reproduce that faithfully, and it will also roll of the highs. I honestly find it absurd that anyone would think that in this era of recording technology ....cassette would be a desirable option. Beware of some of the hype. DO the math on tape speed and tape size etc. It's not 1/4 or 1/2 running at 30 IPS
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam ➑️
isn't dubstep a;; about the ultra low frequency. Cassette won't be able to reproduce that faithfully, and it will also roll of the highs. I honestly find it absurd that anyone would think that in this era of recording technology ....cassette would be a desirable option. Beware of some of the hype. DO the math on tape speed and tape size etc. It's not 1/4 or 1/2 running at 30 IPS
Oh, I know! I'm just doing this to experiment with lo-fi, and I doubt anyone's tries this with such a modern genre...

Still waiting to go get a blank cassette, though..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would suggest you try it with different amounts of over loading of the cassette deck's input and then reimport the new bounce down into your DAW and sync it with your pre existing song. You could have just section of the track crossfade over to the overloaded cassette tonality and then back. Might be cool.
Old 17th August 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yeah there are loads of of people already playing with stuff like this in dubstep+other scenes. as said though wouldn't be great for bass sounds, suppose you could just put the upper part of the bass sound through it and layer on top of the original and eq.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I make dubstep/DnB too. I used to use a Yamaha Tape Deck with built in limiter, driving it really hard to squash my drums in parallel with the clean signal. It can give loads of character to otherwise boring Vengeance samples and the like. Make sure that you use relatively short loops (I did 8 bars) because some old tape machines drift a little, as was the case with mine. It adds beautiful color(and hiss) to dull soft synths. I miss this machine, it suddenly stopped working except for all the lights.

I'd advise you not to run full mix through it, unless you're working with a high end reel-to-reel. You'd be shooting yourself in the foot and working against your mix. That is, if you're aiming for a club track to be played by DJ's. If you're really after that kinda sound tho, go for it!
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
what cassettes do you guys prefer? Type II or Type IV ??

curious.. cause I need to buy some soon..
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
As others mentioned, I don't think it'll sound too good if you send all your mix through it. It can add texture to some sounds but be aware that it cuts both bass and highs and generally not too good. Also, depending on how good your machine is, you might get a fair amount of flutter. I used it on a sampled midi piano, it helped make it sound less fake. I think sending the whole mix will sound like mush, especially if it's already compressed and you saturate the tape. Sending just bass will probably kill the low end. Chords, vocals, drums and sharp digital sounds will probably work nicely.

I personally find saturating the tape sounds a bit like tube distortion, compressing and slowly adding some harmonics. But since it's a cassette you're also rolling off the highs so it sounds quite boxy.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➑️
what cassettes do you guys prefer? Type II or Type IV ??

curious.. cause I need to buy some soon..
I just rewrote some old radio rips from the 90's, anything that was lying around the house really...
Lives for gear

casette really.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
analog really.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Nakamichi MR-1 Discrete Head Professional Cassette Deck

with metal bias tapes heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have this one-
Old 17th August 2011
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Sweet .. at least it's got Dolby C !!

I have an Akai GX-F31
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
using it for something like hats could work nicely, with dubstep especially i think grittying up the hats instantly gives a deeper/darker mood. one thing i think burial excels at is the hat-type sounds he uses, the dusty clanky metal sounds go far in creating that dark sound. using the hat synth in kong rewired into live through reverb and other effects i created a burial style hat rack. i used effects to simulate that atmosphere and running through cassette is just another effect.

any idea like this the best thing to do is just try it out with a variety of sounds, you'll start to pick up how it affects different things, when you get the measure of it then you'll be able to know when the time is right to use it to improve your track.
Old 18th August 2011 | Show parent
Nev
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
let me get this straight so you purposely want to record within the 32khz range, to regular cassette tape? My god the analog bandwagon has gone out of control.

Want texture? Want to get the benefits of tape? Get yourself a reel 2 reel.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
isn't dubstep a;; about the ultra low frequency. Cassette won't be able to reproduce that faithfully, and it will also roll of the highs.
Been messing about with an old hitachi top loader cassette deck with the old VU meters (Β£2 off car booty lol) it will put a nice pleasing smear on the low end and just about wipeout your highs lol, The listen will be much less fatiguing and you'll wonder why you ever got rid of your deck in the first place

After my experience I also went out and bought a Reel to Reel (Tandberg)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How many db's hot do you guys usually go recording into tape/cassette/r2r for subtle effects, slight compression and added warmth and tape saturation? 1 db, 2, 3, more?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
It really depends on what you are aiming for. Some 4tracks can actually sound pretty decent but most likely a consumer deck will produce hissy, grainy timbre with some nice HF roll off. Personally, I like that sound and because its a dead format, you never hear it anymore unless you go out of your way. The people who are still into the cassette and vinyl formats tend to be real music fanatics - people who actually listen to music AS AN ACTIVITY rather than just while they are walking the dog or driving to work.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek ➑️
Been messing about with an old hitachi top loader cassette deck with the old VU meters (Β£2 off car booty lol) it will put a nice pleasing smear on the low end and just about wipeout your highs lol, The listen will be much less fatiguing and you'll wonder why you ever got rid of your deck in the first place

After my experience I also went out and bought a Reel to Reel (Tandberg)
Interesting you mention that. I bought an Ampex unit with nice vu meters (cant rewind only fast forward. But as a cassette deck, it sounds better than any other cassette deck I have ever owned. I use a portable cassette deck for recording ideas. I also grew up in the tape era and cassette was always crap in my opinion. I did a bunch of stuff to 1/4| 4 track @ 15 IPS and it did have a very pleasing quality. But I'm fairly certain i won't be doing any cassette stuff. Dolby B and Dolby C further destroy things. i have used Dolby SR a few times on 2 track mixes and it's not anything like B or C. Very transparent and does a great job.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Sony Cassette Recorder ROCKXX !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs ➑️
I have this one-
I also have one...
An INCREDIBLE tape recorder !
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I also grew up in the tape era and cassette was always crap in my opinion.
Yes I was born in 71, the rewind/FF were broken so I had a pen stuck in the cassette manually spinning it around whilst telling my wife this brings back memories.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…