Roland Jupiter-4 Roll Call - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Jupiter-4 Roll Call
Old 19th June 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Inspired by this thread on the Jupiter-8, https://gearspace.com/board/electron...roll-call.html, I thought it might be fun to unite Jupiter-4 owners in a similar thread and say (1)when you bought it, (2)how much you paid for it (voluntary info just for fun), (3)any mods done to it and, last but not least, (4)why you like it and whether or not you feel it's only a "poor man's Jupiter". For security reasons, no serial numbers please ;-). Some pics might be nice, though. I'll start:

1). 2002
2). 350 Euros
3). Io Kit (Patch programmer only. No MIDI)
4). Unique synth with an unmistakable sound. The only other synths that come close to this sound for me are the Promars and some of the early SH series. Maybe a System 100. I do not consider it a poor man's Jupiter at all, having passed up numerous opportunities in the past to buy Jupiter-6s and Jupiter-8s. While the later Jupiters are clearly more capable instruments, there is a capricious charm to the Jupiter-4 that I find very appealing. What it lacks in terms of features it makes up for in terms of character.

Attached Thumbnails
Roland Jupiter-4 Roll Call-dscn3919.jpg   Roland Jupiter-4 Roll Call-dscn4294.jpg  
Old 19th June 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I got mine from a friend of a friend in 2003.

I bought a JX3p and a Jup4 off her for $500 .

The Jup4 lost a voice shortly after I got it, but that only cost $100 to fix up.

Mine is stock, with no mods. It's in great condition.

I haven't used my jup4 in a small while, but it's due for a turn in rotation soon.

I have been thinking about modding it with MIDI which help it fit in my studio some more..

I love it's fat but at the same time not fat at all sound.
I love it's arp with a bit of portamento. Instant fun.

Tuning or other problems have never been a huge problem for mine .. It's been pretty solid..

The last time I did a big tune on it, that was a lot of fun.. Pop the hood, quickly work on the range and offset for a voice, close the hood to let the temp stabilize . Fun times.
The other tune offset trimmers on the back are a god-send.
Old 19th June 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mine needs an overhaul, it is behaving erratically atm.
Cosmetically good, keyboard good.
No mods. No plans to mod it either.
Wouldn't say it's a "poor man's Jupiter", it has its own character and charm. After all it wasn't designed to be a scaled down budget version of existing models.
Wouldn't say no to acquiring a JP8
Old 19th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
1. 2005
2. 4000 DKK (~ 550 € - Denmark is %¤#&"%#! expensive)
3. Io mods - so it has Midi. (Digital control rules! )
4. Has nothing in common with JP-8 except the name and a certain - what i would call - metallic sheen in the filter that you can recognise as being familiar at some filter settings.
Does 70's "synth sounds" with gusto.

Visually it is in bad shape (erased letters on the controls and broken off bits in the chipboard sides), and loads of keys double trigger - but internally it works just fine. Turn on - in tune.

My only RA - the rest being DCO or worse, digital.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh ➡️
2. 4000 DKK (~ 550 € - Denmark is %¤#&"%#! expensive)
You've already 2x your money.
Old 19th June 2011
Mr Arkadin
1) 2005-ish
2) £375
3) Io kit (natch)
4) Well I am a huge Gary Numan fan, and I just wanted all the synths he used. Oddly he never had a JP-8, and although I always lusted after an 8, the 4 just has something special. I love the arp, the Ensemble, the VCF Sample & Hold, the unison mode. Also have a CR-78 for that full Compu integration and an SH-09 with CSQ-600 for state of the art sequencing (ahem).

It is certainly not the poor mans Jupe, and thankfully its previous image seems to have improved - it used to be very much looked down upon because of its 'home-organ' looks. Actually there's an old magazine feature I saw of a pre-production JP-4 where it looks more like the Paraphonic-type colour scheme. I think that would have been sweet. Or at least if the buttons had been where the ProMars has them. Jealous of your ProMars btw, I remember playing one back in the day when I worked at a music shop in 1984-ish. The shop owner didn't rate it (but there was a Memorymoog in the shop too) but I loved it. Actually he didn't like the Juno-6 either as I recall.

The only pic I have is where it should be in my studio - it's MIA below the OSCar. Will update this photo when she's back in place.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 ➡️
I have been thinking about modding it with MIDI which help it fit in my studio some more..
I actually bought both Io boards from Covariance but still haven't gotten around to installing the MIDI part. I've got two left thumbs when it comes to soldering so I'm taking my time with it. I'll get round to it eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbak ➡️
Wouldn't say no to acquiring a JP8
Nope. Neither would I. The thing is, there are just heaps of other synths I'd rather have for that kind of money, like a Tom Oberheim Son of a Four Voice or an OB-X... with money left over for Moogerfoogers .

Quote:
Visually it is in bad shape (erased letters on the controls and broken off bits in the chipboard sides), and loads of keys double trigger - but internally it works just fine. Turn on - in tune.
Mine's got a few battle scars as well. The previous owner had done a really shoddy CV/GATE mod which I removed. But there wasn't much I could do about the holes he drilled in the case other than tape 'em up. The pitchwheel is also broken on mine (it functions but looks like hell).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin ➡️
Well I am a huge Gary Numan fan
You and me both! That's right. Numan never had a JP-8 either... so, well, there you have it!

Cool studio. I've been thinking about putting down a similar kind of black and white tiled floor in my upstairs "vocal booth". I'm envious of your CR-78. I've had my eye on one for years, but the right one for the right price just hasn't materialized yet. In the meantime, I'm enjoying my heavily mod-ed CR-8000. At least it's COMPUPHONIC, too. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➡️
Nope. Neither would I. The thing is, there are just heaps of other synths I'd rather have for that kind of money, like a Tom Oberheim Son of a Four Voice or an OB-X... with money left over for Moogerfoogers .
In my case a JP8 would make a nice addition to the JP4 and MKS80. OBX's seem to be hard to get hold of around these parts (UK). Either way... the budget isn't going to stretch to either of them at current asking rates.... sniff

I know this is going to sound completely stupid (and I shamefully admit that I am being daft) but for some reason I'm a bit put off Moog's because of the "cult of Moog" factor, seeing all these devotees in their little Moog T-Shirts and so on. It's a bit like arriving at the Apple Fanboy Convention by unfortunate and unintentional accident.

BTW I love your tracks on youtube and my vote is for the original version of Synthpop's Alive. The remix is good too of course but (to my ears) the original version is where it's at.
Mr Arkadin
Quote:
You and me both! That's right. Numan never had a JP-8 either... so, well, there you have it!

Cool studio. I've been thinking about putting down a similar kind of black and white tiled floor in my upstairs "vocal booth". I'm envious of your CR-78. I've had my eye on one for years, but the right one for the right price just hasn't materialized yet. In the meantime, I'm enjoying my heavily mod-ed CR-8000. At least it's COMPUPHONIC, too. heh
I was lucky with the CR-78, £225 back in 2000-ish I think (my memory, I remember prices but not years). I have the CHD programmer as the WS-1 is too rare and expensive plus I get MIDI syncing too.

In fact I have a policy of only buying things at what I consider reasonable prices: OSCar £190, MC-202 £60, CSQ-600 £60, DC-50 £60, RE-3 £125, SC-880 £60, RE-501 £375, so I'm glad I got my JP-4 before the price hikes as I probably wouldn't get one now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbak ➡️
In my case a JP8 would make a nice addition to the JP4 and MKS80. OBX's seem to be hard to get hold of around these parts (UK). Either way... the budget isn't going to stretch to either of them at current asking rates.... sniff

I know this is going to sound completely stupid (and I shamefully admit that I am being daft) but for some reason I'm a bit put off Moog's because of the "cult of Moog" factor, seeing all these devotees in their little Moog T-Shirts and so on. It's a bit like arriving at the Apple Fanboy Convention by unfortunate and unintentional accident.

BTW I love your tracks on youtube and my vote is for the original version of Synthpop's Alive. The remix is good too of course but (to my ears) the original version is where it's at.
Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback. As it stands, I can't bear to listen to either one, so it's nice to know SOMEONE can! heh

Regarding Moog, I know what you mean. The "Cult of Moog" is a bit hard to take. But I do have something in common with them: I'm totally into Moog gear! The Moogerfoogers are some of the best sounding -- and classiest -- stomp boxes on the planet. So while I'm not quite ready to don a Moog t-shirt, I might as well own up to it: I'm a member of the cult.

Join us, friend.
Old 20th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jupiter 4

$400

I/O mod

6 years ago

Love it

Definately not a poor man's Jupiter, in fact, it's very much it's own thing, IMHO... in some ways, I like it more than my Jupiter 8 (gasp! heh)

-andrews
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo ➡️
Jupiter 4

$400

6 years ago
Jupiter 4 for $400? Wow. Were crazy good deals on vintage analogs still to be had in 2005, or did you just luck into an exceptionally good deal on this?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Jupiter-4 bought in 2009 for $1299 from a dealer in Japan. I think I got mine just before prices started going crazy.

I have since installed the Io kit and have put a fair amount of euros into getting it recapped, tuned, key contacts cleaned, etc. It's completely stable now.

I have owned a Jupiter-8 back in 1995 and like a fool sold it cause I needed money back then when I was going to school. I would never buy a JP-8 again for the prices they fetch these days.

But I specifically wanted a JP-4 now because I am in love with the sound of old Duran Duran records which for me is all about JP-4, Crumar, SH-2, and P5. To me the JP-4 has a very distinctive sound that not even the JP-8 can get. And somehow I prefer it. It's much more special. The different poly modes and unisons are part of this sound, but so is the Ensemble (the best Chorus sound I've heard IMHO), as well as the arpeggiator. I love playing it thru my SPH-323 and SBF-325 with a little MF-104Z delay. It just oozes analog sound!
Mr Arkadin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia ➡️
To me the JP-4 has a very distinctive sound that not even the JP-8 can get. And somehow I prefer it. It's much more special.
I would agree. The JP-8 for me is more 'transparent' in a mix whereas the JP-4 definitely says, "I'm a Jupiter 4, look at me!"

As to prices in 2005, I got mine around then for £375, I seem to remember £350 was the bottom end, maybe £500 for a minty.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This was the first clip i recorded with the JP4 in 2005. Dry as bones - not even using the internal chorus.

Not really like a JP8, i'd say? heh

http://www.grumphh.dk/music/jp4_2005.mp3
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds like early Depeche Mode - love it!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
My wife's mum bought her a JP4 for £50 (! ) from a second hand shop back in the late 80s - still going strong, although the buttons are a bit wonky

There was a Minimoog for sale too, but at £100 it was too much of a stretch
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sounds like early Depeche Mode - love it!
Careful! I'm not sure grumphh will take that as a compliment! heh

I liked the clip, too. Definitely, unmistakably Jupiter-4!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blemished ➡️
My wife's mum bought her a JP4 for £50 (! ) from a second hand shop back in the late 80s - still going strong, although the buttons are a bit wonky

There was a Minimoog for sale too, but at £100 it was too much of a stretch
£50 for a Jupiter-4?!?
£100 for a Minimoog?!?

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
don't get me started on people who think the 4 is the poor mans jupiter... the 4 is the ORIGINAL jupiter and the others are the rehash.

I got mine 2005-2006ish?

but it took a while for me to get its crap sorted out (a CV/gate input mod had oxidised, and made all the tuning crazily unstable... I must have retuned that bugger 20+ times before I realised it was the mod I never used! plus some damaged faders gave me some annoyance. seem to be OK now.

It's working well now, and I love it.

I have put in the IO boards but really need to spend some time getting into the new functions and programming options.

as for JP4 prices in 2005... yeah DH paid about normal. I saw multiple JP4s around then for AU$400, which was a fair bit less than US$400 at the time.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Careful! I'm not sure grumphh will take that as a compliment! heh
Note how i gracefully ignored that slight thrown at me...

...in the US however i would have sued immediatedly on the grounds of character defamation!

And thx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry dude, didn't know u hate DM It was a nice sequence nonetheless...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry dude, didn't know u hate DM It was a nice sequence nonetheless...
Oh, feigning ignorance now, are we, eh?

Perhaps i should add this sentence to my sig, just to make it clear where i stand on that particular subject? :
DM were Justin Bieber x4 in the 80's.
And anyone ever trying to link my name and creative efforts to their name and unspeakably bad, bland and generally unsound pop "music" will be sued to the full extent of the law!

heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
And anyone ever trying to link my name and creative efforts to their name and unspeakably bad, bland and generally unsound pop "music" will be sued to the full extent of the law!
Good thing no one brought up The Human League, then.

Wouldn't want anyone thinking you have a Philip Oakey asymmetrical haircut or anything.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil ➡️
Good thing no one brought up The Human League, then.

Those were the days ... when anyone with access to a synth with an arpeggiator could produce records...
Old 21st June 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Got mine in 2008 for AU$640 (about 350 euros) and love it. In the meantime I've added a simple MIDI interface (took a few weeks before I could bring myself to drill a hole in the back!), but it's been really useful, especially the appegiator sync.

I love the way it 'comes to life' after about 20 minutes warming up, and the looks are right out of a 70s Dr Who. Unfortunately there's a problem now with the LFO Waveform switch and I only get 70s Dr Who sounds when on manual, but that should be easy to fix. It also blends well with modern synths and softsynths - I think mixing old and new is the secret for making the music sound a little more organic again.

One day I'd like the other two Jupiters (we won't mention the new one!), but in the meantime, this JP4 will get plenty of use!
Old 16th July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
(1) 2010, drove across 3 countries to get it. When I got back, some car crashed into me from the back, like 500m from my home. I didn't worry about myself, the only thing that was going through my mind was "Oh my god, oh my god, is my juppie ok?" Luckily, nobody was hurt and I was happily jamming 10min later heh

(2) I think it was around 850 EUR.

(3) Installed both Io mods, cleaned the keys so they don't retrigger, recapped the power supply, fixed the LFO (the waveshapes were weird, I didn't have a proper sine wave - now the OSC with square wave sounds super nice with some PWM!). It's visually and techinally in great condition. (well, obviously my tech did all this, since I'm a total newb in electronics )

(4) I bought it for the sound. I knew I had to get it when I first heard the bluesynths demos - from all the synths, the jupiter 4 sound was my favourite. Sounds very organic and very powerful, with only one osc (and subosc) .Super fast LFO, great for effects (now I have even more fun with 2 LFO 's with the addition of Io). Instant electro sounds (think early anthony rother).

It's not a poor man's jupiter, it has its own great sound. Though I wouldn' mind having others jupiters as well (and System 100 and Sh5, mmm), . Roland FTW!
Old 16th July 2011
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Anyone calling the jup4 the poor man's Jupiter probably hasn't spent much time on one or seen what they go for these days in good condition!

I paid $2075 after shipping and full io kit. Had to reflow some of the solder joints on the board as it was malfunctioning. Love the jp4 for the thick nasty leads you can get from it, its unison, the LFO with both saw up and down and extra controls for pitch bend and range switching, snappier envelopes than my Juno 60/106.
Old 16th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➡️
Anyone calling the jup4 the poor man's Jupiter probably hasn't spent much time on one or seen what they go for these days in good condition!

I paid $2075 after shipping and full io kit. Had to reflow some of the solder joints on the board as it was malfunctioning. Love the jp4 for the thick nasty leads you can get from it, its unison, the LFO with both saw up and down and extra controls for pitch bend and range switching, snappier envelopes than my Juno 60/106.
So true... most JP-4's I've seen on eBay recently are listed around $2.5-3k. And those who own them know why!
Old 17th July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
1). 2007
2). 550 Euros
3). original, no mods
4). one of my absolute fav analog synths ever. unique sound, raw and really stunning. love the arpeggiator in sync with a TR drummachine and the sample and hold function a lot. never a poor mans jupiter-8, I like the JP-4 sound more!
📝 Reply