how many prophet 5 rev 1, 2, and 3s were manufactured

i've heard there are very very few 1s
Old 26th May 2011
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Based on serial numbers:
182 Rev 1's (1-182)
1115 Rev 2's (184-1299)
Rev 3's of various types make up 1300 and above.
Old 26th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The production number for the Rev 1 probably includes half a dozen or so single-keyboard P10's.

5900 Rev 3's (1300-7200)

About 1000 double-manual Prophet 10's were made.
Old 19th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael488 ➑️

About 1000 double-manual Prophet 10's were made.
Hey mikael - I'm wondering where did you get this information? I heard only about 400 Prophet-10's were made. Just curious. Thanks.
Old 19th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The production number for the Rev 1 probably includes half a dozen or so single-keyboard P10's.
...of which most were converted to P5s by removing a five-voice card.
Old 20th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➑️
Hey mikael - I'm wondering where did you get this information? I heard only about 400 Prophet-10's were made. Just curious. Thanks.
I'm not sure where I got this info at the moment but I'll get back to you on this asap.
Old 20th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes I remember now, it says in Peter Forrest's A-Z book that "less than 1000 Prophet 10's were made".
Old 21st March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes I remember now, it says in Peter Forrest's A-Z book that "less than 1000 Prophet 10's were made".
Thanks. It would seem you are correct. I've been doing a bit of research myself, and "less than 1000" does seem to be the number most often mentioned. For example, in this article about the band Japan:

Japan - Family Tree - SCI Prophet 5

As for the number "only about 400" perhaps I was thinking "only about 400 Prophet-10s were made with the Exatron drive used to store sequences, patches, etc."

I have one of those early revision P-10s with the Exatron drive, so maybe that's why that particular statistic got stuck in my (fuzzy) brain.
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You're welcome.

Regarding the single manual P10; according to an old post by John Bowen over at the AH list there were about 6 in total sent out. However, I just read a recent post at matrixsynth.com where Dave Smith says that there were less than 20 or 30 at the beginning. I have the feeling Smith is right about this.

Anyway, here's a list of the musicians I know of who bought single manual P10's:
1. Patrick Gleeson (x2) - neither of these were returned to SCI to be converted to P5's. They went to a dump in portland, oregon sometime in the 80s (they never worked very well).
2. Joe Zawinul - according to Alan Howarth, who borrowed the synth from Zawinul to use for some of the sound effects on the first Star Trek movie
(1979), it was returned to the factory in exchange for a P5 rev 1.
3. Dan Wyman (x2) - Dan still had them by 1981 (when he used them on the soundtrack to the horror flick Hell Night) but I have no idea what happened to them after that.
4. Denny Zeitlin - traded his single manual P10 to SCI for a double manual P10 when that one appeared in late 1980.

Moreover, John Bowen mentions in an interview (which you can watch on youtube) that one went to UK and another to Australia.

That makes 8 single manual P10's.

Incidentally, there are at least two existing single manual P10's, one is currently owned by the Audities Foundation, the other one is at the Korg R&D department.
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
One way to find out how many P-10s is what's the highest serial number anyone has seen? I had #2 (double manual SSM chips)...
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Single manual P-10 serial #7 appeared on the cover of the July 1993 Keyboard Magazine with the vintaj synth cover article. Dominic Milano received it from tech Rich Huber in 1990, and Dom scavenged the SSM chips so he could keeps his P-5 (serial #4) running.
Old 22nd March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Incidentally, there are at least two existing single manual P10's, one is currently owned by the Audities Foundation, the other one is at the Korg R&D department.
And both are missing their SSM chips.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt ➑️
One way to find out how many P-10s is what's the highest serial number anyone has seen? I had #2 (double manual SSM chips)...
I have #35.

The highest serial number I've ever run across was mentioned in this thread over at Sequencer.de (#410)

prophet 10

In the discussion that follows, there's another reference to Peter Forrest's "about 1000" so let's hope Peter is correct ;-)

The thread also mentions that the switch to the Braemar drive occurred after #330.

Regarding the Rev 0 Prophet-10s with SSM chips, I'm more inclined to believe John Bowen's figure of 8. This would mean:

(1) P-10 rev0 #1-8 (SSM)
(2) P-10 rev1 #9-329 (CEM + Exatron)
(3) P-10 rev2 #330-??? (CEM + Braemar)

From what I've heard, the rev2 P-10s are the most reliable. I've had numerous problems with mine over the years (power supply issues, memory issues, tuning issues, the Exatron drive never worked, etc.).

I was lucky, however, to hook up with one of Jean-Michel Jarre's techs who made numerous unique and clever modifications to mine. It now stays perfectly in tune, with much more reliable memory and double the capacity.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm not sure how much that would help though, because I suspect a number of single manual P10's were built "in-between" the P5's.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have #35.
A double manual P10?

Quote:
Regarding the Rev 0 Prophet-10s with SSM chips, I am more inclined to believe John Bowen's figure of 8. This would mean:

(1) P-10 rev0 #1-8 (SSM)
(2) P-10 rev1 #9-329 (CEM + Exatron)
(3) P-10 rev2 #330-??? (CEM + Braemar)
Yes but I'm pretty sure the single manual P10 was numbered in the same series as the Rev 1 P5 since they share the same model number: 1000.

The model number for the double manual version is *1010* so I'm sure the serial numbers for this model started at *0001*.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC ➑️
And both are missing their SSM chips.
I'll be darned, didn't know that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Single manual P-10 serial #7 appeared on the cover of the July 1993 Keyboard Magazine with the vintaj synth cover article. Dominic Milano received it from tech Rich Huber in 1990, and Dom scavenged the SSM chips so he could keeps his P-5 (serial #4) running.
That's the one now owned by David Kean/ Audities foundation, right?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
A double manual P10?

Yes but I'm pretty sure the single manual P10 was numbered in the same series as the Rev 1 P5 since they share the same model number: 1000.

The model number for the double manual version is *1010* so I'm sure the serial numbers for this model started at *0001*.
Yes, mine's a double manual. On the back is a prefix #1010- followed by the actual number (in this case 0035) so you could be right about that series beginning with 0001 since it uses a different prefix.
Attached Thumbnails
Number of prophet 5 rev 1 2 & 3s manufactured-dsc09597.jpg  
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just dug up a bit more info on the P-10 on the web (not sure about its accuracy):

"Prophet 10 - There were four versions of that synth:
Rev.1, 1978: Original single manual version based on the P5 rev.1
Rev.2, 1979: Dual manual version based on the P5 rev.2, no sequencer (only three prototypes made)
Rev.0 (sic!), 1980: first version, serial numbers up to 329: Dual manual version based on the P5 rev.3; no sequencer in the first units built, but quickly introduced
Rev.0, 1981: second version, from #330 onwards, as the first version but with different cassettes for data storage.
(Tony's was a Rev.0 in any case, whether it was the first or second version we don't know!)"

Here's the source (auf Deutsch ):

Gear von Keyboardern bekannter Acts

Based on this info, the rev numbers in my earlier post are way off. I think it was the "rev0" that confused me!!! I've never heard of a rev2 being followed by a rev0!!!
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
According to Peter Forrest's A-Z, Joe Zawinul's first *Prophet* was #0002. I've the feeling that was the same single manual P10 which Alan Howarth used for some of the FX on Star Trek: the motion picture back in 1979. Alan told me it was returned to the factory in exchange for a P5 that was serial #0035 (presumably a Rev 1 P5). This is the one that is now in Joseph Zawinul collection according to Alan.

Larry "Synergy" Fast's Prophet 5 rev 1 is #0106, he still has it.
I was told by Larry that they had another one on the road, too, for Peter
and he thinks the note says serial number 0049.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
According to Peter Forrest's A-Z, Joe Zawinul's first *Prophet* was #0002. I've the feeling that was the same single manual P10 which Alan Howarth used for some of the FX on Star Trek: the motion picture back in 1979. Alan told me it was returned to the factory in exchange for a P5 that was serial #0035 (presumably a Rev 1 P5). This is the one that is now in Joseph Zawinul collection according to Alan.

Larry "Synergy" Fast's Prophet 5 rev 1 is #0106, he still has it.
I was told by Larry that they had another one on the road, too, for Peter
and he thinks the note says serial number 0049.
Great to know! Thanks for sharing that info.

It's interesting to hear such stories about particular instruments. Supposedly, my P-10 was originally purchased by some country music star from Alabama. He apparently made a ton of money, and decided to buy himself a SYNTH-i-sizer! Haha Wish I could find out his name. I've tried numerous web searches over the years ("Alabama" "country music" "prophet-10") but haven't been able to come up with a match.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That's the one now owned by David Kean/ Audities foundation, right?
Yes it is - from the Audities website you can make out the serial #

Old 23rd March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes I can sort of prove that. Here's a pic of my model 1010 SN 002 (double manual, SSM) -

Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes I can sort of prove that. Here's a pic of my model 1010 SN 002 (double manual, SSM) -

I remember one of these floating around on Analogue Heaven a few years back. This is presumably it. Has it ever worked?
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good gravy, a SSM P-10 would contain 20 SSM2050 EGs, 20 SSM2030 VCOs, 30 SSM2020 VCAs (need 10 for voltage controlled resonance of 2040s, 10 for VCAs, 10 for polymod), 10 SSM2040 VCFs... Grand total of 90 SSMs

That's some serious dough in SSM vintage.
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I remember trying to get the P10 working at SUNY Buffalo back in the 90s... Such a beast. I think there's one on the bay right now for ~6K USD....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangoon ➑️
I remember one of these floating around on Analogue Heaven a few years back. This is presumably it. Has it ever worked?
If it worked at all it probably wasn't very well. SCI made the same mistake of sandwiching two five-voice boards which doomed the original single manual P-10. The board on the bottom accumulated too much heat which couldn't dissipate easily with that huge voice board above it. All that heat screws up the tuning.

Single manual P-10 have HUGE heatsinks for the power regulators that the rev 1/2 P-5 do not.

Everybody knows that heat rises. The better design would had been independent voicecards stacked on ends for maximum heat dissipation and better tuning. The only polysynth I ever saw that did this was the Voyetra Eight. The big Oberheims (OB-X/Xa/8) were partway there until you added voices overhead.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Everybody knows that heat rises. The better design would had been independent voicecards stacked on ends for maximum heat dissipation and better tuning. The only polysynth I ever saw that did this was the Voyetra Eight. The big Oberheims (OB-X/Xa/8) were partway there until you added voices overhead.
i think the jupiter 4 was like that too, although i've definitely heard they can go out of tune just like any other synth...i wonder if it really helps that much? did they ever try adding a fan to the old prophet 10 single manuals or anything? I wonder if it would have made a difference.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have #35.

The highest serial number I've ever run across was mentioned in this thread over at Sequencer.de (#410)

Here's are some picture of #451

http://m.matrixsynth.com/2009/06/seq...rophet-10.html
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Now that is a rarity!

I noticed the backpanel is a little different to the "standard" P10; there's no
heat sink (!) and the sequential badges are placed differently. Also, the P10
badge on the front panel is much bigger than that of the standard version.
According to Forrest's A-Z the casing was somewhat bigger too (possibly an inch or so deeper?).
πŸ“ Reply