The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Akai MPK Mini opinions?
Old 29th April 2011
AudioThing

🎧 10 years
Akai MPK Mini opinions?

I'm going to buy one of these: MPK mini Mini keyboard & drum pads with assignable controls

I tried one at a local store and I was surprisingly happy with the mini-keys. Not toyish, very good and "solid", but yes, small.

Any thoughts on that?
Old 30th April 2011
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I love Akai controllers and own a MPK25 and LPK25. The problem for my set up is that they completely ignored pitch bend and mod wheel capabilities on their line of minikbs. Subsequently I went with the Korg Microkey,which, while not super compact, is small, solid, and has both pitch and mod wheels.
Old 30th April 2011 | Show parent
AudioThing

🎧 10 years
ah well, the lack of pitch bend/mod wheel could be a problem. but it's so compact...
i'll try it a little more at the store and will see...

thanks for your reply
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i love to use LPK25, it's no toy indeed, wish they've made one with real MIDI output.
Maybe i like it because i play guitar and just used to small interfaces ))
Old 30th April 2011

🎧 10 years
Agree. It has very good build quality. The keys are very nice and feel sturdy, so are the pads too. The knobs feel very nice, a lot better than in some more expensive and bigger keyboard controllers.
Nothing to complain really, works and feels really good.
AudioThing

🎧 10 years
thanks for your replies. the pitchbend/modulation is the really the only thing I could miss, it seems perfect for my needs.
Old 21st May 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
I want an LPK25 with midi i/o, and a modulation, and a pitchbend wheel. I'm still thinking about picking up the LPK25 though.
Old 21st May 2011

🎧 10 years
I love it, it goes everywhere my laptop goes.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 22nd May 2011

🎧 10 years
Korg microkeys are better IMO, but lpk 25 is great
Old 22nd May 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have the Akai SynthStation 25 for iPod touch or iPhone, same keybed, I really like it, and it feels great for a tiny board, good controllable velocity. Fits in my laptop bag and with the iPod touch I don't even need the laptop, though I mostly use it tethered to my MBP via USB to play into logic in a very portable rig. Great for coffee shop days when I want to get out of my house.
Old 22nd May 2011

🎧 10 years
Every pad controller should have pad borders that light up red when pressed like the Mini. It's like the game Simon, somehow the light helps in memorization of patterns. In fact I think the Mini has the best feeling and reacting pads of the entire Akai line and that's saying a lot as I'm a big fan.

Old 22nd May 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
I have nothing but good to say of AKAI, I was dead set on buying a Mini and hoisting upon a pedestal in all of my shows as the greatest thing ever, but ultimately decided that my heavy handedness wouldn't mix well with the small keys. I picked up an MPK25, and I must say I'm quite happy with my purchase. If you buy a mini though, Ebay has them for $68, which is a bit cheaper than the $100 I see in alot of stores.
Old 22nd May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i'm in Korea and i bought mine in the states and put it in my backpack on my flight back to the states.

i've gotten use to the size if the keys quick and all my beats made here have been made with the mpk mini. i finally made my drums using the drum pads instead of step sequencing them in reason's redrum and i like how they play too. and i'm used to making my drums on the keys of a triton le. i really like how i can put my laptop and keyboard in my backpack, hop on the subway and make beats at a friend's house, at a coffee shop...
Old 26th June 2011

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiothing ➑️
I'm going to buy one of these: MPK mini Mini keyboard & drum pads with assignable controls

I tried one at a local store and I was surprisingly happy with the mini-keys. Not toyish, very good and "solid", but yes, small.

Any thoughts on that?
It goes where I go...
Old 26th June 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruhLuuh ➑️
It goes where I go...

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicatrix ➑️
I want an LPK25 with midi i/o, and a modulation, and a pitchbend wheel. I'm still thinking about picking up the LPK25 though.
I'll second that. Is there anything similar? I really wish I had something like that so I could velcro it to my Nord Lead 2X to use for one of the timbres. 49 keys just ain't enough!
Old 26th June 2011

🎧 10 years
If pitch bend/modulation is MADD important... Sacrifice 2 knobs & assign them to the tasks... That's what's awesome about the board. It's putty/play-doh.

🎧 10 years
i like mine

solid, small, light, cheap, and gets the job done
Old 26th June 2011

🎧 10 years
Love mine, fits right in the laptop bag and goes everywhere. Usable keys unlike the korg nanokey. Pads might be better than the big mpk/mpd series.

Had to restate that after owning it a bit longer!

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey guys, I was considering one of these to control various filters and keyswitches in my softsynths. I already have a 61key that I use for playing.

I have 2 questions:

(1) can I use my 61key for playing a synth and the mini to control it's filter parameters at the same time? I assume the answer is yes since I'm just assigning midi controls.

(2) Can I use the mini to control multiple synths? i.e., Pull up omnisphere, assign some knobs, then pull up Trilian, assign the same knobs to Trilian controls, then switch back and forth depending on which track I pull up?

I'd basically like something like a Nocturn, without having to rely on the automap software and I don't need DAW control. If this isn't possible, I'll probably pick up an Axiom, MPK or Novation SL.
Old 27th June 2011

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion ➑️
Hey guys, I was considering one of these to control various filters and keyswitches in my softsynths. I already have a 61key that I use for playing.

I have 2 questions:

(1) can I use my 61key for playing a synth and the mini to control it's filter parameters at the same time? I assume the answer is yes since I'm just assigning midi controls.

(2) Can I use the mini to control multiple synths? i.e., Pull up omnisphere, assign some knobs, then pull up Trilian, assign the same knobs to Trilian controls, then switch back and forth depending on which track I pull up?

I'd basically like something like a Nocturn, without having to rely on the automap software and I don't need DAW control. If this isn't possible, I'll probably pick up an Axiom, MPK or Novation SL.
All of these options are achievable depending on ur DAW + ur knowledge of assigning preferences. If u don't want to use a DAW, I suggest using the MPK mini's assignable channel/key/knob features(Through the software included)* with ur stand-alone synths...* Keep in mind that the that the MPK mini DOES NOT have an internal sequencer. A DAW is a plus.
Old 27th June 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
All of these options are achievable depending on ur DAW + ur knowledge of assigning preferences. If u don't want to use a DAW, I suggest using the MPK mini's assignable channel/key/knob features(Through the software included)* with ur stand-alone synths...* Keep in mind that the that the MPK mini DOES NOT have an internal sequencer. A DAW is a plus.
What DAW allows #2?
Old 27th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzwald ➑️
What DAW allows #2?
That's really what I would like to know. Just to be clear, I'd be working in Cubase, a little in ableton. No outboard synths here. The only outboard for this project are guitars, vocals and some pres.

Maybe I should just pick up a nocturn and only use the automap wrapper for synths.

Thanks for the help guys. Moving back into beat-based music after almost a decade of playing in a band.
Old 28th June 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
BUMP for the answer to #2
Old 28th June 2011

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzwald ➑️
What DAW allows #2?
Cubase allows u to press [F11] to bring up ur VST window. Let's just say u want to load 5 different VSTz.
Load 1-5 then decide how many tracks that you want to record. Let's just say u decide on 10. Right click on the track field & choose to load multiple midi tracks & input 10. Yes!

This is where it gets technical. Go to midi track 1 & choose midi input as "MPK mini"(Or "USB controller "if you use windows XP) & as the output choose your VST. BOom! Midi track 1 should also be used to select the sound or patch that you want trigger or send notes to. Test your sounds as you scroll & chose 1.

Repeat all of these steps on midi tracks 2-10

Whenever u highlight/select/click on a track the MPK will play that particular track's VST & sound.
(You can virtually trigger as many tracks as ur PC or Mac has the memory for)

Arm the track 4 recording & start sequencing/scoring/or beatmaking.

I hope this helps.

BruhLuuhMusic.blogspot.com

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app

🎧 10 years
Hmm.

This is similar to FL Studio 10.
With my MPK25, the S1-S4 buttons control the track you're on within the step sequencer (which is where all your VSTi's are located) and you can simply press one of the buttons on the controller to goto the next track and control it.

However, I'm more interested in say EQ plugins. Being able to control say VST (not VSTi's) effects that are loaded in the mixer of say Ableton or FL depending on which ones in focus.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have one, it's pretty handy for carrying around. The pads and faders are ok, but imo, they velocity range of the keys is pretty poor.

If i had to instantly give it a meaningless and arbitrary rating based on it's value and performance I'd say 7/10. But I'm not sure there's anything better in the sub Β£100 price range. I don't regret spending Β£60 on it.
Old 1st July 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If pitch bend/modulation is MADD important... Sacrifice 2 knobs & assign them to the tasks... That's what's awesome about the board. It's putty/play-doh.
Synthstations have both mod and pitch feel great too.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app so please forgive any bad auto-correct. I'll try to fix it in the mix later!
Old 1st July 2011 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
apart from the no pitch and mod wheels, is the akai mini of the same feel as the higher end range 25, 49, 61 etc? Because those bigger midi keyboards are great.
Old 1st July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You can't often assign a pitch bend wheel to another midi cc directly, but mod wheel is just cc1
πŸ“ Reply