Yamaha A5000 Effects - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha A5000 Effects
Old 9th April 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yamaha A5000 Effects

Hi

I heard lots of time people saying that the Yamaha A5000 is quite nice to be used as an FXs processor.

Since they are cheaper than some older Yamaha FXs processors and seem to allow 6 algorithms at once instead of just one, are they good enough to beat the old SPXs?

And how does it compares with the Yamaha D5000 for delays?
Since it's possible to use 6 effects at once, is it possible to create amazing delays with it too?

Best

Paulo
Old 9th April 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love the Yamaha a4/5000 effects.

Only pain with using it as an effects processor only is that its big (deep in the rack) and loud (fan). You also have to jump through a few menus, so its not as quick as a standalone effects unit...
Old 9th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I heard that they are really good, but I was more wondering how do they compare with old SPXs units?
Or even the FX900 (as I am receiving one later this month)?

And since I heard the D5000 is a pretty cool delay, I'd definitely be interested in knowing where the A5000 stands against that dedicated delay...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
the A5000 has 96 FX variations, some variations are also double & even triple FX (i.e. compression > distortion > delay) of which 6 can be used at once (in whatever kind of chain you can think up). a base unit has 4 outs & 2 ins, so you can can make 2 lots of mono in, stereo out. the quality of the FX ARE good. it has some REALLY crazy FX in there (download the manual & read the list). if you fit the unit with a HDD, you can save & load upto 128 programs as a block, & have multiple blocks (I belive you can also SysEX dump single programs aswel). you can also assign a program LFO, & upto 4-6 (I forget how many exactly) midi controllers to tweek the FX peramters in real time.

all in all its a fantastic DSP machine for FX. it also have some great filters for samples aswel.

A5000's tend to go pretty cheap nowadays (I have 2) so if you get the chance, you could possibly grab one for as low as Β£130 .
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I completely forgot about setting up the efx parametres to controllers. Its great for live dubbing and playing with the FX in realtime via a knob box...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's because they are cheap that I am interested in those

I am also interested in layering 128 sine tones for additive synthesis (I guess that's possible, right?), but since I already have an EMU E6400 Ultra that I quite like to use, I am also quite interested in the FXs processor.

From what you guys told me it seems really cool

But anyone has compared it with the old SPXs and FX900 or the D5000?
I was quite into getting a Yamaha D5000 , but if the A5000 can stand pretty well against that one, I'd probably just get the A5000 (as I can sample with it too)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paugui ➑️
But anyone has compared it with the old SPXs and FX900 or the D5000?
I think the FX900 covers the SPX90 algorithms, though the sample rate is higher.

Yamaha had a few different DSP chipsets (each used in multiple products with various algorithms) and the FX900 combines several of these. There's not really a direct correspondence, but you can think of the FX900 as several Yamaha processors combined via arbitrary routing.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
effects are generally good, but don't expect better reverb than from cheap units like lexicon mpx110 mx200
Old 10th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalStudios ➑️
effects are generally good, but don't expect better reverb than from cheap units like lexicon mpx110 mx200
But how about comparing the reverb with the SPXs and even the REV5/7 or REV500?
Is it at the same level?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil ➑️
I think the FX900 covers the SPX90 algorithms, though the sample rate is higher.

Yamaha had a few different DSP chipsets (each used in multiple products with various algorithms) and the FX900 combines several of these. There's not really a direct correspondence, but you can think of the FX900 as several Yamaha processors combined via arbitrary routing.

You mean higher sample rate for the FX900?

The FX900 seems pretty cool (unfortunately I'm only getting mine at the end of the month...), but not sure if it will be worth having if I get an A5000 too...

Won't there be a big overlap?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You mean higher sample rate for the FX900?
The SPX90 has one DSP chip (YM3804) and one modulation chip (YM3807) at a sample rate of 31.25 kHz. The REV7 has an additional YM3804. The FX900 has one of each, like the SPX90, but at 44.1 kHz and with 4x the memory (this is the REV1 block). I think the FX900's reverb/pitch shift algorithms are very similar to the SPX90, and what's not included is greatly surpassed by the effects in the other blocks. I have an REX50 too, which is again like the SPX90 but with some different algorithms.

It also has a YM6104 (I think this is the DYN block), YM3413 (REV2) and YM3415B (MOD). The latter two are also used in the TG77, but the reverb algorithms are different (the TG77's reverb is completely shitty). I'm sure these also appear in a variety of other products, but I don't know the specifics.

Quote:
Won't there be a big overlap?
It's cobbling together a bunch of the older processors, I suspect the A5000 stuff is from a totally different generation.

It also does have a huge advantage over something like the Quadraverb in that you're actually getting 4 "full" (though not exactly cutting edge) algorithms rather than everything being compromised so that they'll run simultaneously on a single chip.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They are totally worth it for the effects alone. I used to use my old A4000 as an effects processor for my 303 10 years ago.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's cool

That way I better get the A5000 and keep the FX900 indeed.
The FX900 I'm receiving comes with the FC900, which might be handy during a performance.
And since it's more immediate to use than the A5000, I think that will make it worth it.

I will try to get the A5000 for the effects and additive synth then

But by the way, how do you guys compare the sampler itself with the EMU Ultras (I have the E64000 Ultra)?
Old 18th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Or even the FX900 (as I am receiving one later this month)?
I'm curious how you like the Yamaha FX900 thus far. I have a line on one at a nearby used store in great condition for a good price. I may pick it up. I'm a big fan of the FX500 so I figured the FX900 would be nice to add. There also is an SPX50D available for a lower price than the FX900, but the FX900 interests me more. I primarily intend to use this for synths.

Thanks.
Old 18th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ive got a cheap A3000 and i cant believe the quality and crazyness of the fx.Make a damn fine sampler as well.I put my mduw through it and it was like totally trippin.
Old 20th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs ➑️
Ive got a cheap A3000 and i cant believe the quality and crazyness of the fx.Make a damn fine sampler as well.I put my mduw through it and it was like totally trippin.
Indeed I've enjoyed my Yamaha A3000 as well for both effects and sampling. It's pretty nice.
πŸ“ Reply