The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Access Virus TI 2 Desktop - Product experience report
Old 8th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
*sigh*

There's good news, and bad news, actually, wait, really, there is only bad news.

1. Regarding the Analog outs when used with VC, read this (not a solution, but at least some sort of statement): Plug latency even when using analog output ???s - The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

2. When using the VC (VirusControl, the plugin), everything works just fine, as long as the arpeggiator is not involved. As soon as I use that, well, just watch the video and hear for yourself.

Things to note: - The first bar is synced, but as soon as the second bar starts (with a new note triggering), it starts to drift out of sync. It does the same as soon as it loops around. The weird thing is, if I add some overlap between the notes, it stays in sync. Basically, useless!

If I use the Virus in the traditional sense, ie. NOT using the TotalIntegration Plugin (VC), instead triggering it via traditional midi, and using Cubase's External Instrument implemenation, everything works like a charm.

I tried everything, I even purchased a dedicated PCI USB controller card, just for the Virus alone. I tried turning on "Use System Timestamp" for both Windows Midi and DirectMusic. No luck. Oh well, such is life. I am going to call Access tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Now, to put things in perspective, the Arpeggiator is not really required when using the VC, because, when I am using VC, it means I am working in my DAW, and I have FAR better arpeggiators available than what the Virus has to offer, so I could live without the ARP in VC mode.

What bothers me most, is issue number 1. This could be an issue I am going to get anal about, but time will tell.

Funnily enough, I was joking around with the guy from Access on the phone, about how much easier it was back in the day when using the Atari with Cubase. He agreed ;-) Now that was TIGHT midi like you wouldn't believe!

Anyway, I'll keep this thread updated once I know more, and once I get to use the Virus in a project or two.
Old 8th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've added another audio clip to my OP, which is the result of all my efforts getting things to sync up without using VirusControl. To me, it sounds just fine, so, when used traditionally, sync does not seem to be an issue (midi jitter is a different story...)
Old 9th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I talked to the Access guys again. They've asked for me to supply all the info per mail, including a Cubase Project, an msinfo file and a link to the youtube video. They were again very friendly and assuring, the guy literally said to me on the phone:"No worries, we will get this fixed!". Very comforting to hear.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Virus is a top VA, as I said in that VvsA thread as well. And as much as I love my Alchemy, real hardware is difficult to beat on hands on control. Thanks for the lenghty review, I learned new things about the virus and certainly increased my gas.

But I would go for the key version. I dont know why, but it feels more comfortable, having keys as close to knobs as possible. If you make any sounds combining wavetables with fm , I would love to hear them, its one feature that alchemy is missing and my blofeld has and I love to combine the two.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I hope you can find the solution to your problem.
Iam using the virus ti2 in Logic and in fact one of the things i love about it is that its really Tight...
WHen i take of the low latency mode and just let the project PLAY its perfectly in sync.
When i have to record a part with the virus, then i NEED the low latency mode and then often a problem happen, the Patch that iam playing have "almost" no latency but the other patch that are just playing back their parts are often out of synth... also arp can be out of synth...
Its not always same also.... its mostly the only problem that i have with the virus... it might be different with another soundcard or another daw with a different type of delay compensation... so i dont sweat it too much as long as when just playing back my cession the Virus can sync perfectly most of the time...

But yes there is something wrong somewhere sometime with the virus integration...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
OH MY ZGOD IT WORKS!

So, I came home from work, and fired everything up to prepare what Access wanted from me, and low and behold, it works! So I said to myself, wait a minute, this is not how computers work. Things don't just change on it's own.

Luckily I am a developer, so I tend to mentally keep track of what changes I make, and I remember a setting in Cubase "Use System Timestamp" which I ticked for both midi drivers, but there was no result. Apparently, rebooting the PC did make a change, because I now have perfect sync, and the ARP works just fine (at least, I have to assume this is what caused things to work, here's hopnig that I am not wrong)

Here's a screenshot which shows the setting:
Access Virus TI 2 Desktop - Product experience report-cubase.png

@kilon

Funny you should say that, all day long I have been thinking about whether or not I should just get the keyboard version, but I am still undecided. I can not get over the fact that I would pay 600 Euros more, just to have a keyboard, and a lot less space on top of it. 600 Euros! That's not peanuts, I can get a Tetra for that money!!! Also, the thing weighs 14kg, as opposed to the 3.4 kg the rack module has. I have the Voyager sitting behind me, and right next to the Virus I have a little Akai LPK25, which is awesome btw. (it even has a cool little arpeggiator).
For not even 300 Euros I can get a 88key semi weighted Master Keyboard controller, I can't really see how to justify dropping 600 Euros for a keyboard. Oh well, I guess there's worse problems to have than not knowing what to get, so it's all good ;-)

@chromatic

Thanks, but what do you mean with low latency mode?
Attached Thumbnails
Access Virus TI 2 Desktop - Product experience report-cubase.png  
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by datune ➑️
Edit16:
I tried switching on the fly between the USB outs and the Analogue outs, which run to my Liquid 56 Saffire. Was not really able to hear a difference. But I can't turn up the volume that much, I'll try this again tomorrow, and let those 8" on the Mackie HR824 MKII's move some air!
Yep and I haven't noticed any difference on my TI1 either. I know a lot of people swear blind there is a huge difference - and maybe there is on an older B/C model - but on the TI I put it down to bad level matching or a fertive imagination!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugol ➑️
I know a lot of people swear blind there is a huge difference - and maybe there is on an older B/C model
Highly unlikely. AFAIK, only the TI has USB / DAW integration.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac ➑️
LOVE my TI2. The DSP on this thing alone is amazing. Great distortions, tape echo, reverb, bit cruncher, yummy =)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac ➑️
Haha, good point, what was I thinking......

Anyway once I matched the levels (and the TI USB outputs on many programs are generally very low in volume) there was no difference to my ears - and that's with decent enough conversion (MR816).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As for general experiences - I do find my TI has been a bit quirky on OSX (and Windows before that).

I also get issues with it loosing sync every so often and I've had the driver unable to find the TI until a reboot quite a few times recently.

Still I like the form factor of my Polar and it does as a basic mother keyboard for sequencing. Would I buy one again new - no, I think there are plenty of awesome soft synths which are even less hassle and still sound great, but equally I'm not planning on parting with it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I sometimes get loose midi but only in multimode when I'm firing on a butt load of channels at once. In single mode its always fine.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by datune ➑️
OH MY ZGOD IT WORKS!

So, I came home from work, and fired everything up to prepare what Access wanted from me, and low and behold, it works! So I said to myself, wait a minute, this is not how computers work. Things don't just change on it's own.
Same thing happened to me a couple years ago when I was having arp sync issues with my TI desktop.

I was getting ready to post audio samples and an Ableton Live project on the infekted.org forum and it somehow just "fixed its self"!

Old 10th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
@plaid_emu

Funny video

Well, I decided to splash the extra dough and get a Darkstar, should be fun when playing live ;-)

Old 10th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Congrats Datune! the darkstar looks boss

i just officially bought a white Polar myself this week too. the loaner i have right now is slightly faulty (knobs). enjoy!
Old 13th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
@cl516

Thanks, I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as I do.

I also have problems with my Darkstar, as can be read in my OP, nothing major really, but annoying nonetheless.

Oh well, back to
πŸ“ Reply