The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slim Phatty Vs SE-1x
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Slim Phatty Vs SE-1x

I know there are lots of threads like this, but here is one more.

A brand new Slim Phatty Vs a second hand SE-1x

Comments, criticisms, theories, feedback, observations please?
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
SE-1 and Slim Phatty owner. Depends on what you had in mind. SE-1(x) has slower envelopes, three oscillators, Moog filter clone, 12db/oct lowpass and bandpass filters, and a ton of modulation (though no FM on the SE-1, but I think they added it on the SE-1X). Slim Phatty's only got 1.5 modulations (I say this because there's one dedicated modulation slot on it, and then you can assign the same modulation source to a second destination) a low-pass filter that's switchable from 1-4 poles, snappy envelopes and two oscillators. Both synths have about the same amount of menu-diving. Mind you, I just got the Phatty yesterday, so I'm still in the early stages of our honeymoon, but I'm inclined to say the Slim Phatty might be preferable if it's an only synth. This thing's got a low end that's just blowing my mind here.

This also might help: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...oog+comparison
Old 26th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I owned the keyboard Phatty as well as the SE-1. The latter has far better oscillators IMO, sounds earthier, fuller, thicker, deeper, more textured. The enveloeps aren't great, and a vintage Moog sounds quite a lot clearer, but compared to the SE-1 the Phatty sounds almost like a VA to my ears, very plasticy.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
i like the sound of the osc and the moog filter from the phatty... but after a short time you gonna start looking for ad ons because it is so limited.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
S to the envelopes, the SE1X has pretty fast envelopes that are in the same league as the phatties. It was the SE1 that had the slow ones.
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Having owned a KB Phatty and an SE-1, I always end up recommending the ATC series synths, i feel they really get it right.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-smile-z ➑️
i like the sound of the osc and the moog filter from the phatty... but after a short time you gonna start looking for ad ons because it is so limited.
this
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have loads of other gear so it will not be my only synth.

The SE-1x's are going under $1000US on ebay these days. I've just sold my Oberheim too, so the idea of the Oby and 24db Moog filter together is....well.....AWESOME!

Considering the SE-1x is only $100 more then a SP its a no brainier but may I add something else to the mix?

Those that have written that they later get a Voyager say they never use their SE-1x again. Is it worth waiting 12 months to save up for a Voyager rack for $2500?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Check also the ATC1 or the ATCx. It's in many ways better than the SE1 especially the non Moog filters. My personal favorite is the 2600 filter.

I've tried the Fatty many times and I equally unimpressed every time. You can as well buy a Mopho for much less.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I can't help with your decision cause I don't know the SE1x.

I just have a few Phatty sounds:

Index of /misc/lp/takes

Moog Little Phatty

and a few bars from the slim one: http://www.trippler.net/files/mp3/sm1.mp3
Old 27th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Studio Electronics SE1x is KILLER bass!!!

The Studio Electronics SE1-x is an AMAZING synth and one of THE best bass synths out there.

Because SE started by making the Midimini and Midimoog, people think the SE1x is supposed to be a Moog, it's not...

In some ways, it's better. And for sure, it's its own thing!

The bass on that thing is mindblowing and it in no competition for is it better or not than synth "x" or a Moog.

I also love how internet myths get created, how the SE1 had a "slower" envelop and the "SE1x" is the better faster one... yes it is faster and I prefer it, but the difference between the two and other synths is no greater than the different character of two different synths.

You want HUGE and PUNCHY bass, you owe it to yourself to try the SE1x

P.S. That's in the context of me also owning a Moog Model D among others. It holds it's own.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo ➑️
I also love how internet myths get created, how the SE1 had a "slower" envelop and the "SE1x" is the better faster one... yes it is faster and I prefer it, but the difference between the two and other synths is no greater than the different character of two different synths.
This isn't really a myth. The guys at SE supposedly tweaked the software (yes the envs are digital) on the Nova ed. SE-1x (according to Tony at Nova Musik) to make them faster. I had a Nove ed. and thought the envelopes were still pretty sluggish. Not to say it isn't a great synth, I loved the oscillators and the build quality, but it just wasn't my cup o' tea overall. YMMV.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I still have the SE1x even though I have a Voyager. I see not much reason to get rid of it because of the Voyager - it does some things different. It "rumbles" (for lack of a better description) in a really pleasant manner where the Voyager is more precise.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I modified the envelopes on my unit when I had an SE-1. They can be made faster, but not really "in-your-face" fast, and on certain sounds you'll get artifacts. There is no real difference between SE-1 and SE-1(x) beside the input, the memory, the midi controllers and the look.

SE1/SE1X upgrade tutorial
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I,d go for the SE1x

I have one and it,s an absolute keeper in my collection
I,ve played the phatty , not my cup of tea

This synth is great for basses, but it,s extremely versatile
Its not just a bass machine it can do an array of mini moogish
Leads etc, plus it has the classic moog filter and the oberhime
Filter, definitely worth checking out

LK
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The Studio Electronics SE1-x is an AMAZING synth and one of THE best bass synths out there.

Because SE started by making the Midimini and Midimoog, people think the SE1x is supposed to be a Moog, it's not...

In some ways, it's better. And for sure, it's its own thing!
i agree with this sentiment. i was kinda suprised how bad ATC-X fared in voting on my comparison test. i far prefer it to little phatty, as a synth in general, and as a "moog" if you like. SE-1X even moreso.

as for sounds SE excells at, i love it for leads. possibly choose it 3 out of 5 times over mini. of course, it depends a lot on what kind of production im working on.

i would set a bass line on mini, and solo over it with SE1X ... and suddenly the day went by

Quote:
I also love how internet myths get created, how the SE1 had a "slower" envelop and the "SE1x" is the better faster one... yes it is faster and I prefer it, but the difference between the two and other synths is no greater than the different character of two different synths
havent tried SE1. i had SE-1X Nova Edition and used it for months on several projects, together with my model D and some others, even did timing comparisons. and t least as far as mini, phatty and se1x nova are concerned, it is no urban legend that SE is noticeably slower and mudgier in attack phase than model D. phatty is somewhere in between the two.

uve rarely used SE for higher BPM songs, or when i needed more 70s mojo, brute force, or extreme punch .. whatever u wanna call it. minimoog or sh2 are my weapons of choice for that. juice, smoooth liquidy filter flow, wide bandwidth...or deeep oblong basses yeah SE does that beautifully. its great that even when u use lfo or two for some little modulations, unlike with mini, you still got three VCOs on top of that. it was grea for some complex basses, like you set two vcos in octave for foundation, and add anohter octave with very quiet PWM-ed third osc,, just to add some animated silk. you cant do that on most vintage monos.
alas no fm of any kind on se. but atc has both vco and vcf fm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds ➑️
I owned the keyboard Phatty as well as the SE-1. The latter has far better oscillators IMO, sounds earthier, fuller, thicker, deeper, more textured. The enveloeps aren't great, and a vintage Moog sounds quite a lot clearer, but compared to the SE-1 the Phatty sounds almost like a VA to my ears, very plasticy.
thats my exact experience when comparing LP and ATC-X. except that i liked LP for some 1/2-pole sounds, filter fm and some loungey leads.. etc. wouldnt go near as far to call it VA, but wouldnt say its first choice for typical "moog" sound, if you re lookin for one. its a likeable synht never the less,, if only it wasnt so limited on modulation routings.. thats really a shame. it could do so much more with the sonic ingredients.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I LOVE the SE1x, for BASS andf much much more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➑️
i agree with this sentiment. i was kinda suprised how bad ATC-X fared in voting on my comparison test. i far prefer it to little phatty, as a synth in general, and as a "moog" if you like. SE-1X even moreso.

as for sounds SE excells at, i love it for leads. possibly choose it 3 out of 5 times over mini. of course, it depends a lot on what kind of production im working on.

i would set a bass line on mini, and solo over it with SE1X ... and suddenly the day went by

havent tried SE1. i had SE-1X Nova Edition and used it for months on several projects, together with my model D and some others, even did timing comparisons. and t least as far as mini, phatty and se1x nova are concerned, it is no urban legend that SE is noticeably slower and mudgier in attack phase than model D. phatty is somewhere in between the two.

uve rarely used SE for higher BPM songs, or when i needed more 70s mojo, brute force, or extreme punch .. whatever u wanna call it. minimoog or sh2 are my weapons of choice for that. juice, smoooth liquidy filter flow, wide bandwidth...or deeep oblong basses yeah SE does that beautifully. its great that even when u use lfo or two for some little modulations, unlike with mini, you still got three VCOs on top of that. it was grea for some complex basses, like you set two vcos in octave for foundation, and add anohter octave with very quiet PWM-ed third osc,, just to add some animated silk. you cant do that on most vintage monos.
alas no fm of any kind on se. but atc has both vco and vcf fm.

my 0.02
Yep, totally agree. And I may have used the word myth incorrecty, I really meant that more of that has been made than is needed... The SE1x is INCREDIBLE and then some guys read that it has slower evelopes and go all (heh)

What I meant is, the envelope thing is nothing really and no more a difference than any one synth to another... like I said, when people stop expecting it to be a Moog and start looking at it as one of THE best bass synths (and capable of much much more) than they'll really "get" the SE1x!

Lovely synth and in some ways more "vibey" than both new Moogs and other Studio Electronics (I sold an Omega 8 and kept my SE1x, if that tells ya anything!)

What can I say? I LOVE this synth!

-a
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
the SE1x is a good synth for sure. Vintage sounding and juicy. Very powerful basses and whilst not snappy - still beefy enough...envelopes are important tho - as they determine the response and feeling of connection to a synth...
Actually I found the interface pretty frustrating with lack of fine Osc tuning and Osc Mix on the front panel...2 crucial functions IMO. The Menus were a little annoying for me...
Im not so into the ATC1/X sound. More modern than the SE1x...

The new Moog is a more refined sound and I rate the Phatty interface quite highly actually - much better than the ATC and SE1x synths...it is a cleaner smoother top end that is of high quality...but modern and precise sounding.

With any of these synths - its a matter of preference as to the sound and interface....they are all pretty nice...
Old 28th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Heheh.. after all this SE1x talk i just found + won one on ebay..

Im sure my ATC-Xi wil be happy to have its cousin sitting in the rack also.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey I have a question for you SE1X owners out there
Has anybody successfully updated their units to the latest
Software rev? The one that gives you LFO sync etc.

I,ve Been reluctant to upgrade due to the dire warnings
On SE,s website about bricking the unit if MIDI
Settings are not correct.

Any input?
LK
Old 28th February 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Slim Phatty Vs SE-1x

Was that the $900 one on eBay jumper?
Lives for gear

STUDIO ELECTRONICS SE1X ANALOG SYNTHESIZER - eBay (item 330534355043 end time Mar-24-11 22:06:20 PDT)

I have a little phatty and I gotta say that is ridiculously tempting..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
tI found the interface pretty frustrating with lack of fine Osc tuning and Osc Mix on the front panel...2 crucial functions IMO. The Menus were a little annoying for me...
that does seem really annoying though!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumper24 ➑️
Heheh.. after all this SE1x talk i just found + won one on ebay..

Im sure my ATC-Xi wil be happy to have its cousin sitting in the rack also.
Congrats! They make a great pair.

Lives for gear

is that your studio?!

if so, how's summing with that 8816??

I'm sure it's godly..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➑️
is that your studio?!

if so, how's summing with that 8816??

I'm sure it's godly..
I thought the 8816 sounded amazing but I wound up downsizing a bit and selling it. I went back to mixing ITB so it was really overkill for just using the monitoring features.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➑️
STUDIO ELECTRONICS SE1X ANALOG SYNTHESIZER - eBay (item 330534355043 end time Mar-24-11 22:06:20 PDT)

I have a little phatty and I gotta say that is ridiculously tempting..........

that does seem really annoying though!
must say I was tempted after al this chat to pick that up also...and it would be the second time I purchased an SE1x! Trying to remember why I sold the last one...
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdrumdrumdrum ➑️
Was that the $900 one on eBay jumper?
No - but i found one in Berlin at a similar price (iΒ΄m in EU)
Old 1st March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just purchased an SE-1x from a guy in Korea. $1050US including shipping. I have got stuff from him before and he packs stuff really well. The US guy wanted $250 s/h! Those US shipping costs sure have gone up!

Thanks for all the replies guys. Excellent thread
Old 13th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdrumdrumdrum ➑️
I just purchased an SE-1x from a guy in Korea. $1050US including shipping. I have got stuff from him before and he packs stuff really well. The US guy wanted $250 s/h! Those US shipping costs sure have gone up!

Thanks for all the replies guys. Excellent thread
Did you ever receive it and if so, is it woking? I was eyeing that too, but the price was significantly lower than others, so I was worried it might be a scam.

Hope it worked out!

-a
Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just got it. Looks beautiful. Haven't switch it on yet.....exciting

He has a few and I've bought stuff off him before. His legit.
πŸ“ Reply