Quantcast
@TR909 owners. Stereo out less bass than individual? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
@TR909 owners. Stereo out less bass than individual?
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@TR909 owners. Stereo out less bass than individual?

All

Ive just bought a 909 which needed a couple of repairs so its at a techs.

Interestingly enough i got the below email today from the 9090 mailing list.

Anyone with a 909 comment? Ive only played with a real one over stereo outs and it was years ago.

Wondering if its worth swapping the caps

Many thanks

Ben

Quote:
On Behalf Of Richie Burnett Sent: Friday, February 18, 2011 11:11 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [sdiy] TR-909 undersized DC blocking caps
Just thought I'd put this info out there as i've not seen it mentioned before...
A couple of years ago I did some repair work on a customer's TR-909 and discovered that the DC-blocking capacitors in the final output mixer are grossly undersized. The impedance of the mixing busses (used to mix the individual sounds into left and right channels) are around 1k1. With the existing 1uF coupling capacitors (C153, C154) this makes a high-pass filter with cutoff frequency around 140Hz! Considering that the fundamental frequency for the kick and most of the toms are well below this figure, it does a good job of stripping most of the bottom-end punch out of the stereo mix outputs.
Replacing C153 & 154 with 10uF components restored the bottom-end to the stereo mix outputs so they sounded the same as the individual instrument outputs.
Maybe the bass-light stereo mix behaviour is well known to seasoned TR-909 users? ...and maybe Roland did it for some reason? Either way, i've not heard it mentioned before.
-Richie,
(NB. The same arguments apply to the Introspectiv-9090 as it's C4 and C5 are also 1uF)
Old 21st February 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
there have been a couple threads replying to that same cross-posted email from its creator. check the AH archives and sdiy list archives (if they exist??) I didn't follow those threads so I'm not sure what the conclusion was.

maybe let your ears decide? , or have your tech spend 5 minutes and test yours while they have it.

Last edited by giorgio; 21st February 2011 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: $
Old 21st February 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I can confirm that in all the 909s I've come across, the bass drum sounds different in main and individual outs.

This sounds like a usefull improvement to the 909.
Old 21st February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio ➑️
there have been a couple threads replying to that same cross-posted email from its creator. check the AH archives and sdiy list archives (if they exist??) I didn't follow those threads so I'm not sure what the conclusion was.

maybe let your ears decide? , or have your tech spend 5 minutes and test yours while they have it.
Apologies, i did search on here. I like the way it makes you search when making a new thread !

Whats AH btw?

Cheers for replying

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutjob
I can confirm that in all the 909s I've come across, the bass drum sounds different in main and individual outs.

This sounds like a usefull improvement to the 909.
Thanks!

Yeah it does sound great (in principle), my mate had a similar mod done to his 303, and i did it to my x0xb0x. Ill do some more digging. The tech said hed give it a bit more thought. As long as i wont blow anything up it does indeed sound very useful.

Cheers

Ben
Old 21st February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Its probably lowering the volume of the left and right by -3dbu.

Pan law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
πŸ“ Reply