The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions
Old 18th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agapefez ➡️
The IBM eservers seem to be not compatible with the akai s5000 sampler. Anything over 79 gb will probably not work. Thanks anyway.
They do work in my E-mu E4XT Ultra. However, I don't recommend a server hard disk (especially if its 15K rpm): they are so noisy that are pretty unusable.

Installing a hard disk on a sampler does not make much sense today. SCSI2SD and other solid state solutions are far better.
Old 18th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHG ➡️
I have my SCSI2SD 5.0 set up exactly how I want it with a 8gb SD card, and all my samples in directories for my Ensoniq ASR-10.

Can anyone recommend a good Windows 10 program that will allow me to make an exact clone of the whole SD card? I want to back it up, just in case I lose it or it becomes corrupt at any point down the road. I looked on Google, but am not sure which programs to trust. Freeware is preferred, if possible.
Tons of them:
Also you can use any hex editor with raw disk capabilities, such as HxD or Winhex. However, I do not recommend this if you don't know what you are doing (are too powerful that you can literally wipe your whole computer out).
Old 24th January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleK313 ➡️
Hi can you add some pics and link please
i find this link and looks interesting, unfortunately I have only a macbook
Any tips?

https://www.gee-jee.net/?p=412
I'm still a SCSI beginner! Yes I've seen that link, it seems promising. Currently trying to troubleshoot raSCSI with my S1000
Old 24th January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
raSCSI install on an Akai S1000

Got my SCSI card thx to "DOPESHTTONLY" and complete raSCSI package (raspberry pi, raSCSI, cable, case). The rasp pi gets powered by micro usb. Installed everything, and was able to control the raSCSI software through my web browser. VERY COOL.

After some trial and error with different types of SCSI images, I was able to get one recognized by the akai. Formatted a 512 meg .HDR virtual drive into 60 meg partitions. Things seemed to be going well, and its fast!

The big problem so far:

recorded a sample, it plays back fine. save it onto the virtual drive, and then load it back in, the sample "stutters". Like a mix of digital clipping, and the audio skipping around. I'll post a video if I can figure that out.

I also tested my gotek to make sure it wasnt ram or something. gotek can save a sample, and load it back in just fine. but loading ANY SAMPLE in from the SCSI makes it stutter, clip.

also odd - the sample might be 520 blocks large when saving to the gotek. But the exact same sample shrinks to 64 blocks when saving to SCSI. Normal?

Basically I have A LOT of troubleshooting to do. Since I don't have any other SCSI gear I can't rule much out right now. I'm working to change that. There's someone on the raSCSI discord that got an S1100 working with raSCSI, surely the S1000 can't be that different?

If anyone has ideas I'd love to hear them.
Old 27th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone got working settings for SCSI2SD for the Akai S950 they can share please? Having a few issues with mine and want to make sure I haven't configured it incorrectly. Am getting sample name corruption when accessing back of the SD card and then yesterday some 'bad disk' errors when trying to load samples.
Old 11th February 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have an s1100 in which I maxed out the memory, added SCSI2SD with all of the factory and bonus CDROMs with ChickenSystems Translator software @ chickeneps , and upgraded the screen:
https://gearspace.com/board/showthre...0#post13532560
This project took a lot of work.

Given all of this, my question is kind of trivial:
How do you get a note off across a whole program (or keygroup or sample) on the S1100? eg: you let go of the key and the sample stops midway without playing all the way to the end?

Last edited by camadair; 12th February 2022 at 02:34 AM..
Old 11th February 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaleon ➡️
raSCSI install on an Akai S1000

Got my SCSI card thx to "DOPESHTTONLY" and complete raSCSI package (raspberry pi, raSCSI, cable, case). The rasp pi gets powered by micro usb. Installed everything, and was able to control the raSCSI software through my web browser. VERY COOL.

After some trial and error with different types of SCSI images, I was able to get one recognized by the akai. Formatted a 512 meg .HDR virtual drive into 60 meg partitions. Things seemed to be going well, and its fast!

The big problem so far:

recorded a sample, it plays back fine. save it onto the virtual drive, and then load it back in, the sample "stutters". Like a mix of digital clipping, and the audio skipping around. I'll post a video if I can figure that out.

I also tested my gotek to make sure it wasnt ram or something. gotek can save a sample, and load it back in just fine. but loading ANY SAMPLE in from the SCSI makes it stutter, clip.

also odd - the sample might be 520 blocks large when saving to the gotek. But the exact same sample shrinks to 64 blocks when saving to SCSI. Normal?

Basically I have A LOT of troubleshooting to do. Since I don't have any other SCSI gear I can't rule much out right now. I'm working to change that. There's someone on the raSCSI discord that got an S1100 working with raSCSI, surely the S1000 can't be that different?

If anyone has ideas I'd love to hear them.
update: submitted a bug report to the raSCSI team. S1000 works fine with a SCSI2SD V5.2. raSCSI works fine with my S3000XL. so ?????
Old 27th March 2022
Lives for gear

Old thread I realize but it's kinda like an emergency (in a desperate situation) & this might be a stupid question: if you have a SCSI 25pin to 9pin adapter can u just get a 9pin to USB adapter to connect to a computer to transfer stuff to & from a K2000 haven't tried this procedure in awhile as I recently was burglarized of most of my gear that I was using & all I'm left with is the Kurzweil (was in the shop at the time of the theft thankfully?!) & a Dell all-in-one running windows 7 (was in storage had been using a MacBook; consequently stolen) just was wondering about this question so I can start over with this gear that I have left any help would be greatly appreciated thanx folks
Old 27th March 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by agstreyiii ➡️
Old thread I realize but it's kinda like an emergency (in a desperate situation) & this might be a stupid question: if you have a SCSI 25pin to 9pin adapter can u just get a 9pin to USB adapter to connect to a computer to transfer stuff to & from a K2000 haven't tried this procedure in awhile as I recently was burglarized of most of my gear that I was using & all I'm left with is the Kurzweil (was in the shop at the time of the theft thankfully?!) & a Dell all-in-one running windows 7 (was in storage had been using a MacBook; consequently stolen) just was wondering about this question so I can start over with this gear that I have left any help would be greatly appreciated thanx folks
9pin to USB adapters are usually RS232 serial and are in no way compatible with SCSI. There are SCSI to USB adapters but they're rare and only available 2nd hand. If your PC is old enough to have PCI slots you could get a SCSI interface card (I do this, but my PC is ancient)

All my SCSI samplers end up having their hard drives replaced with SCSI2SD that allows for SD card storage and also facilitates USB connection to my computer.

I've not tried RaSCSI which is another option that allows you to connect your sampler's SCSI storage to your home network and access disk images via a web browser.

K2000 floppy disks are DOS format and can be read by a PC if you have a USB floppy drive, but i'm done with floppies.

You can replace the floppy drive in the K2000 with an HxC or Gotek floppy emulator but I prefer the larger capacity of SCSI storage. They're also just as slow as floppies.

Speaking of slow, you can transfer sounds via MIDI using the SDS protocol if you have the right software on your PC.

Last edited by nutjob; 27th March 2022 at 11:22 PM..
Old 28th March 2022
Lives for gear

Thanx for that info very appreciative but again & forgive me for sounding 'redumbdant' by rephrasing the ? ...I have a 25pin SCSI plug with a 9pin adapter plug. If I plugged that into a 9pin to USB adapter why again wouldn't that work for transferring stuff back & forth from K2k to computer, again I'm kinda slow and I apologize for just trying to make this point crystal clear in my own suspicious mind.

How bout this: connecting an old (it's newer than the Kurz) KEY Midiator ms-101 SCSI to MIDI iinterface box (from the K2k) to a MIDI to USB adapter/converter to the the computer{windows 7 Dell all-in-one PC} could that possibly work as a solution to this situation. I'm trying to avoid having to purchase anything else cause the burglary has left me pretty much wiped out $ wise. My gratitude couldn't be expressed any more for an answer or reply to this difficult question so I can get back on my musical feet so to speak thanx very much again.

¡'All Hail Kurzweil!'¡'Long Live V.A.S.T. !' Thanx for your genius RayK.&HalC.
Old 30th March 2022
Lives for gear

?!¿¡!?¡¿?¡!¿

¡'All Hail Kurzweil!'¡'Long Live V.A.S.T. !' Thanx for your genius RayK.&HalC.
Old 30th March 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanx for that info very appreciative but again & forgive me for sounding 'redumbdant' by rephrasing the ? ...I have a 25pin SCSI plug with a 9pin adapter plug. If I plugged that into a 9pin to USB adapter why again wouldn't that work for transferring stuff back & forth from K2k to computer, again I'm kinda slow and I apologize for just trying to make this point crystal clear in my own suspicious mind.
There is no such thing as a 9-pin SCSI adapter.

Note that the 25-pin connector has traditionally had a number of usages that are not SCSI-related. Your adapter is probably a serial adapter. Even if the connector is the same, they are absolutely different interfaces and aren’t compatible with each other (not even “comparable”).

One more thing: don’t even try to connect that USB thing to the SCSI connector. Since both connectors have different pinout and meaning you might blow your K2K SCSI bus and render it unusable. SCSI buses are usually very fragile and tend to break easily.
It happened to my EX4T after I accidentally plugged a SCSI drive without turning the unit off first.

Last edited by Mastropiero; 30th March 2022 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: One more thing…
Old 10th April 2022
Here for the gear

Anyone had succes with a SCSI2SD v5.2 an a mpc2000 classic? I'm struggling to get this working.
I get power on the card thru the 25 pin connector on the back of the MPC, and when I turn on the MPC the led flashes but when I look thru the id's on the MPC it says scsi not ready.
Old 10th April 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanx for that info very appreciative but again & forgive me for sounding 'redumbdant' by rephrasing the ? ...I have a 25pin SCSI plug with a 9pin adapter plug.
You need to do at least some research about SCSI, your simply confusing a 9 pin adapter as something its not. The DB25 connectors were used for many many things. Your naïve to think that any 25 pin cable is a SCSI cable unless it has the symbol molded or other significations such as factory sealed box.

Sampler Drive formats largely incompatible with a PC without special software to read them. If you did have a SCSI o USB device, getting the correct drivers and cards for SCSI to work on the last few versions of OS is also a trick.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio lodewijk ➡️
Anyone had succes with a SCSI2SD v5.2 an a mpc2000 classic? I'm struggling to get this working.
I get power on the card thru the 25 pin connector on the back of the MPC, and when I turn on the MPC the led flashes but when I look thru the id's on the MPC it says scsi not ready.
Been a long time, but the 2K drive size is small, something like 540mb-600mb max.

Look to see if there is any configurations posted for S3000XL or S2000 samplers and those settings should work.

One last word of advice, if this is a new box or “you went plugging in hot”… your SCSI fuse may have blown. That will shutdown the 5v provided as part of the signaling and every SCSI device you try will not be ready till its replaced. Its a surface mount part btw on the samplers main pcb.
Here for the gear

I have a fuse holder installed so the fuse is still good!
Can it have something to do with the adapter switching some connections wrong?
I formatted the SD card in fat, when it's completely formatted there still some 1 MB files on there probably some needed files for the card!?
Attached Thumbnails
SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions-img20220410190411.jpg   SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions-img20220410190315.jpg   SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions-img20220410190256.jpg   SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions-img20220410190233.jpg  
Old 11th April 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Ok I think I have it, found a new cable in a box and now it works!

4 gb sdcard
4 partitions

Scsi-0 os v1.72
Scsi-1 900mb divided in 3 partitions
Scsi-2 900mb divided in 3 partitions
Scsi-3 900mb divided in 3 partitions

I also read the mpc2000 only reads 512mb not true.
Attached Thumbnails
SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions-img20220411014242.jpg   SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions-img20220411014240.jpg   SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions-img20220411014237.jpg   SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions-img20220411014228.jpg  
Old 11th April 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Old 14th April 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Does SCSI2SD v6 now work with Kurzweil?

Do I understand correctly that with v6 you can have more than 4 partitions of 2Gb and this gets recognised by a Kurz?
📝 Reply