The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions
Old 10th November 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Update: Now it's working. I removed the SCSI cable and plugged it in again... Strange, but better this way.

Now i just need to find a power cable for the CF reader. It has to be a 4-pin female molex to a floppy drive connector which apparently isn't exactly an industry standard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
On the reader, set ID to 5 via jumpers. Because Akai's default SCSI drive is 5. That way, each time you turn on the Akai, you won't need to go to settings and change ID from 5 to 2. Just press F7 (SKIP) and you're in.
Yup, realized that myself at some point. I was already very happy with the setup (got Chickensys Translator as well, and it worked like a charm), but then i decided to replace the floppy drive with CF reader because i wanted to get rid of my noisy external SCSI enclosure.

Now when i'm trying to use the CF reader via internal SCSI, the sampler doesn't recognise it anymore (on startup it says "Waiting for hard disk ready" and stops there). Any ideas why it does this? I figured that there wouldn't be difference whether i use SCSI externally or internally.

Last edited by satsu; 10th November 2011 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: -

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Akai S-3000XL series

"Waiting for hard disk ready....SKIP"

If this ever happens to anyone, and the machine is hanging even after you press F7, the problem is the busted SCSI fuse. You'll have to disassemble the unit, remove outputs board and solder wire (with fuse holder) to two joints on the mainboard. I highly recommend using a fuse holder so that in the future you don't have to solder anything, just replace the fuse!

Fuse value is 50V 1A, but you don't have to use replacement part. A simple classic (glass) fuse will do the job 120V or 230V 1A (this is crucial). While there, get yourself one of these fuse holders and install it, so that in the future you don't have to solder fuses.

Location of the fuse in the picture below. Notice: you can solder wires directly to the solder joints here if you will use glass fuse.
Attached Thumbnails
SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions-akaiproblemsmalley1.jpg   SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions-aa.jpg  

🎧 10 years
Thanks Don.
Old 11th November 2011
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I am looking for a SCSI SSD that will work with my Kurzweil K2000RS. I currently use an internal hard disk drive. I think it uses the old 50-pin connector. Is there a SSD drive that can be plugged in its place that is 100% compatible with the original HD? Now that SCSICardReaders is out of business, I do not know what I can do. I guess I waited too long. :-(

Thanks for any information.

Bob Graham
Old 16th November 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
^^^ yep... u sat on ur hands^^

can anybody tell me wat happened with www.scsicardreaders.com does he have another site now?

da relic
Old 16th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik dA Relic ➑️
^^^ yep... u sat on ur hands^^

can anybody tell me wat happened with www.scsicardreaders.com does he have another site now?

da relic
You sat on your hands too

sold and long gone
Old 24th November 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
lol... i actually bought a few drives from him b4 he shut down... just wondering if he made another site... im guessin he didnt get enuff traffic.

da relic
Old 24th November 2011 | Show parent

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik dA Relic ➑️
lol... i actually bought a few drives from him b4 he shut down... just wondering if he made another site... im guessin he didnt get enuff traffic.

da relic
Got internal flash drive for sale?
Old 27th November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Uh..stupid of me to "save" on not buying the SCSI CF reader to my Korg Triton from SCSIforsamplers.com when I had a chance. No idea they could go out of business - the idea seemed too good.

So...any idea how / where to get a SCSI CF card reader which would work on my Triton's SCSI port? And what was the max Gb of CF card available for Korg Triton? I remember it wasn't that much, maybe max 2 or 4.
Old 20th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architecture ➑️
The SCM 50B works on the S1000! Finally it kicks butt to have flash card capabilities on this sampler!
How did you connect it? I got my SCM 50B today, but looking inside the unit there seems to be no place to connect it...

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds ➑️
How did you connect it?
You start with placing a SCSI card in Akai. Then you connect a SCSI cable to the SCSI card.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You start with placing a SCSI card in Akai. Then you connect a SCSI cable to the SCSI card.
I see. I need an Akai ib-102. Doesn't look like it's availible anywhere though...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Check this out fella, was gonna buy it myself but dont need one anymore.

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I see. I need an Akai ib-102. Doesn't look like it's availible anywhere though...
Dump it and go S-1100. Comes with the SCSI card, DSP effects card, and many are filled with 16 MB+.

Personal experience with S-1100: Totally one class above anything Akai ever made. Check reviews i.e. sonicstate & co. Fantastic smooth sound and the real hidden gem inside is the effects processor. Amazing sound. I bought mine from some band in Berlin (Cocoon or something like that) without even seeing it. I was pretty shocked to realize the unit was museum condition 100% mint.

Here's a pic with SCSI card reader/writer installed i bought from SCSI for samplers:

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
But they're not the same sonically. I like the sound of the S1000 - might get an S1100 on top though.

Quote:
Dump it and go S-1100. Comes with the SCSI card, DSP effects card, and many are filled with 16 MB+.

Personal experience with S-1100: Totally one class above anything Akai ever made. Check reviews i.e. sonicstate & co. Fantastic smooth sound and the real hidden gem inside is the effects processor. Amazing sound. I bought mine from some band in Berlin (Cocoon or something like that) without even seeing it. I was pretty shocked to realize the unit was museum condition 100% mint.

Here's a pic with SCSI card reader/writer installed i bought from SCSI for samplers:

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
But they're not the same sonically.
Yes, they're different hardware, both the converters and the VCAs.

TBH they are not not night / day difference as compared to S-950 or Emax, but still different sounding. I had S-1000 for a while - it was cool sampler for drums, but when I've heard the smooth sound of 1100 in combination with internal efx, i was sold in a second.
szf
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Must say the black reader looks alot better in the 1100 than my 50B, maybe I'll use my 7720 and a black cf drive after all.

Regarding sound 1000 vs 1100 .. I really can't hear much difference, and I did all kinds of listening tests, inc. spectrum analysis tests in sf. .. nothing.. but I can't hear past 16khz .. so maybe that is where the *audible* difference lies.

By the way if anyone knows a good program for doing freq. response charts let me know, and I'll post the results.. cos sound forge was crap for that.

..When down/up pitching audio, possibly the 1100 sounds a bit fuller there, but it's almost impossible to tell the difference with you eyes closed. I agree that the fx are awesome.. but for the price they go for, 1000s also kick ass.

The one sound difference is actually that the 1000 has hotter outputs, this is contrary to internet folklore, and it's documented in the manuals!
I love how everyone on the internet copy pastes some sh*t they read elsewhere and then act like they know something.
Anyway it's quite an audible difference, you don't even need to have them side by side to spot it.
Attached Thumbnails
SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions-p1165152.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So I put the SCM 50B in an external case, doesn't look as nice but works great!

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
So I put the SCM 50B in an external case, doesn't look as nice but works great!
Yes, but you will need power supply in that box as well, which means noisy SCSI PSU box, two more cables and additional space. I gave up on it - still have the PSU box for CD ROM but don't use it since i've decided to reduce amount of cables to as less as possible. Besides all my CD ROMs are now on CF cards and archived on the hard drive in .img format.

There's a moral/legal dilemma of using some of them this way on CF since i've sold some of the actual CDs. On the other hand, they go like $15 on eBay and are no longer supported by manufacturer, so i wonder do they even care. These are the disks from 1990-1994 era. I use them privately from time to time, but will definitely consult with the companies (*if they even exist!) for professional use.

*kind of catch 22 problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szf ➑️
The one sound difference is actually that the 1000 has hotter outputs, this is contrary to internet folklore, and it's documented in the manuals!
Yes, however there's an option in the settings of S1100 to boost the output levels, so you can get the same or IIRC even more gain. There's some difference in sound when driving output VCAs hot using this option (saturation and some noise) so i somehow prefer original S1100 levels. S3000XL is very hot signal per individual out yet no noise of any kind, which is why i like this sampler as well.

For 1:1 sample playback without transposing they will most likely sound very close. There might be some difference when sampling on these machines since they upgraded the converters to Sigma-Delta type on S1100.
Old 21st January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes, but you will need power supply in that box as well, which means noisy SCSI PSU box, two more cables and additional space. I gave up on it - still have the PSU box for CD ROM but don't use it since i've decided to reduce amount of cables to as less as possible. Besides all my CD ROMs are now of CF cards and archived on the hard drive in .img format.

I disabled the noisy fan in the case (only there for the CD-ROM), now it's silent. But internal would be better, of course, so I'll look out for it.

Quote:
There's a moral/legal dilemma of using some of them this way on CF since i've sold some of the actual CDs. On the other hand, they go like $15 on eBay and are no longer supported by manufacturer, so i wonder do they even care. These are the disks from 1990-1994 era. I use them privately from time to time, but will definitely consult with the companies (*if they even exist!) for professional use.

*kind of catch 22 problem.

Nobody is going to care. At all.
szf
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➑️
Great, is it hot-swappable?
Seeing as no one else replied... yes the 50B is hot swappable!, make sure to order with the pcmcia -> compact flash adapter, doesn't work any other way.
The 50B is the cheapest solution, only other solution I've tested and is still available is the acard 7720 and a compact flash ide drive, costs quite a bit more though, is more of a hassle to wire up as both the 7720 and ide drive need powering, also is not hot swappable, but it is very slightly faster, here are my benchmarks :

30secs mono audio sample

SCM PCD-50B

transcend 80x, 2GB compact flash card
====================
sample save time:6.100secs
sample load time:4.700secs

Acard 7720U, Conrad IDE compact flash reader

transcend 80x, 2GB compact flash card
====================
sample save time:5.600secs
sample load time:4.400secs

Another thing no one mentioned is that the SCSI cable needs to be inserted the wrong way around (regarding internal scsi setup), otherwise you will get the waiting for hard disk lock up upon booting. You can cut the notch on the scsi cable so it's fits better.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Very useful, thanks!
szf
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, however there's an option in the settings of S1100 to boost the output levels, so you can get the same or IIRC even more gain. There's some difference in sound when driving output VCAs hot using this option..
I have a feeling you're mixing the 1100 up with the 3000, I checked all the menus and manual for the output level option in the 1100 previously.. nothing... I did see that the 3000 has that option in the master tune menu I think, in the 1100/1000 it seems to be missing.

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have a feeling you're mixing the 1100 up with the 3000, I checked all the menus and manual for the output level option in the 1100 previously.. nothing... I did see that the 3000 has that option in the master tune menu I think, in the 1100/1000 it seems to be missing.
EDIT PROG -> [OUT] -> mono out: 1+0dB available values: -6dB/0dB/+12dB

Quote:
Seeing as no one else replied... yes the 50B is hot swappable!, make sure to order with the pcmcia -> compact flash adapter, doesn't work any other way.
Will ask them if they plan a firmware upgrade so that existing CF slot can be used. This adapter thing is unpractical and kind of hideous.

Quote:
Another thing no one mentioned is that the SCSI cable needs to be inserted the wrong way around (regarding internal scsi setup)
I had the same thing in S1100. Had to rotate it and cut the notch. Some users reported it worked without rotating.

I can confirm that no damage will occur if placed wrong way - it just won't work. If that's the case with anyone reading this, rotate it 180 deg.
szf
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
EDIT PROG -> [OUT] -> mono out: 1+0dB available values: -6dB/0dB/+12dB
Oops, never spotted it there, thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
Will ask them if they plan a firmware upgrade so that existing CF slot can be used. This adapter thing is unpractical and kind of hideous.
That would def. be a nice improvement, let us know if there's any reply from them, thanks!
Old 30th January 2012 | Show parent
szf
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Heard back from 50b seller [email protected] on this ..
So according to SCM.. 'no easy firmware change' would fix the need for the pcmcia adapter, it's req. due to the S1000/S1100/other samplers not being able to boot from LUNS others than 0. i.e. they aparrently don't implement SCSI fully.
Not a SCSI expert myself, but there you go. Anyway I'd still recommend the 50b either way for 1000/1100 users, especially as the 7720s are continuing to go up in price.

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Heard back from 50b seller [email protected] on this ..
So according to SCM.. 'no easy firmware change' would fix the need for the pcmcia adapter, it's req. due to the S1000/S1100/other samplers not being able to boot from LUNS others than 0. i.e. they aparrently don't implement SCSI fully.
Not a SCSI expert myself, but there you go. Anyway I'd still recommend the 50b either way for 1000/1100 users, especially as the 7720s are continuing to go up in price.
This is exactly why i wanted to contact them. I am not sure if this is possible but all they have to do is set the CF slot to LUN 0. Won't hurt anyone, and devices that can read other LUNS, well they will just continue to do that and use other LUN for PCMCIA.
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
is there any source for the SCM PCD-50B inside Germany or close by?
I have a Yamaha SCSI->IDE Converter and IDE CF CArd Reader Combo, but i only found ony Card that works
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherun ➑️
is there any source for the SCM PCD-50B inside Germany or close by?
I've ordered it from the US and got it shipped to Germany without any problems.
Old 30th January 2012
szf
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
This is exactly why i wanted to contact them. I am not sure if this is possible but all they have to do is set the CF slot to LUN 0. Won't hurt anyone, and devices that can read other LUNS, well they will just continue to do that and use other LUN for PCMCIA.

I assume they looked at it as a hack job that would not benefit the people using them with their old computers. But you do make a good point, I'll find out what they think about it.

Not even sure if they are making the things anymore.. as almost no one stocks them now.. In which case I can understand that they are not interesting in releasing any firmware updates.. will see
πŸ“ Reply