Dave Smith Instruments Tempest - Page 169 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dave Smith Instruments Tempest
Old 16th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyj ➡️
About to buy a Tempest, so excited! Is there a way to restore it to it's factory presets?
Yes you can format Tempest,download factory presets from the official site and load them up..
Also i strongly advice you to read this:

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php?topic=78.0
Old 9th July 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgos Arabatzis ➡️
Yes you can format Tempest,download factory presets from the official site and load them up..
Also i strongly advice you to read this:

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php?topic=78.0
Thanks! So, I just midi sync’d all my synths and the tempest. All the sudden, I’m getting decimal percentages on tempo and swing (ex: 101.1 for tempo, 54.4 for swing). It doesn’t seem to let me do whole values anymore. Thoughts?
Old 10th July 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks! So, I just midi sync’d all my synths and the tempest. All the sudden, I’m getting decimal percentages on tempo and swing (ex: 101.1 for tempo, 54.4 for swing). It doesn’t seem to let me do whole values anymore. Thoughts?
OS Versions?Tempest Master or slave?
Old 10th July 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgos Arabatzis ➡️
OS Versions?Tempest Master or slave?
I’m having Logic control the tempo, slave thru as I have it also controlling my pedalboard for guitar. Using usb into my Mac mini, I believe it’s running Mojave. Also have my ob6 and pro 3 usb in to my Mac mini.
Old 11th July 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I’m having Logic control the tempo, slave thru as I have it also controlling my pedalboard for guitar. Using usb into my Mac mini, I believe it’s running Mojave. Also have my ob6 and pro 3 usb in to my Mac mini.
Does it do it when it’s not in slave mode?I think the deviation comes from Logic..Try good old fashion Midi din instead..Try slaving Tempest to OB6 for example..
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm going to put in my two cents after owning the Tempest for a while.

I bought my Tempest several years ago, I think it was 2017. I played with it, but didn't get on with it back then because the UI was different than what I was expecting. (With that said, I Iiked the quality of the drums onboard and the things you could do to them.)

Fast forward to the pandemic. I started using synths and drum machines I had neglected and realized certain ones need to be a part of my setup, while I should sell others.

The lesson I learned with the Tempest was that I ran my paces with it years ago and got acquainted to the UI, created patterns with it, and synthesized drums. After years dormant, I picked up the Tempest again and knew where things were in the menus, which made it easier for me to navigate and do what I wanted to do. Plus I recently learned new functions that I never used before. I started to realize the Tempest is much more useful and clever than I remember lots of people giving it credit for.

Now I'm realizing that the UI works in my brain. I feel that my muscle memory is the reason along with the UI not being so complicated. I relearned the UI and it was fluid for me this time. I'm not a fan of Elektrons heavy use of shift buttons. The Tempest is much more fluid for me because it's not a heavy shift button machine, even though there are some basic shift button functionality. And being that I've always liked the drum sounds, I'm starting to see this machine suits me quite well.

What I like: The sound. The sound editing options. The sequencer. And the big x0x drum pads are great because if you use it as an x0x sequencer, the steps respond to your velocity that you hit them at for each of the x0x step. The other thing I really like is being able to see multiple drum tracks x0x steps on the screen all at once. If you want to change the velocity, gate, pitch, etc for each step then you can use a knob to switch back and forth between those parameters. That ability is great, but doing it with one knob is not. Work arounds are available in the form of the ribbon controllers that are assignable and can be used for having the screen knob be showing Gate and the ribbons assigned to pitch and velocity. So it's actually really clever. For sound editing, it's very quick to navigate to parameters I want and there are a lot of useful ones with dedicated knobs already, not to mention the assignable ribbons again.

While everyone wants sample import and doesn't like bugs, I don't experience any bugs that stop me from creating what I want from the Tempest. The Tempest is a solid self contained drum machine with drum sounds I like, so I never miss being able to use my own samples. I would welcome a future Tempest 2 that could do that, but if I ever want to use samples, I'll just get out a Gotharman's and have at it. Plus the amount of drum and synth sounds you can get out of the Tempest actually are a lot more than other drum machines. Not to mention you can combine 2 analog and 2 digital parts in a ton of different combinations to make just one sound. Very impressive for a drum machine. Sounds can be very dynamic because of this.

I thought I would share my 'revelation' just because I initially picked it back up thinking that I didn't like using it. But just not using it for a long period and coming back to it with an open mind (knowing what I already knew about it), I realized my brain didn't dislike the UI and I started to relearn the UI and was fine with using it how the Tempest UI is already laid out. I never thought about selling it, even when I wasn't using it because I liked the sounds. But I'm just glad that my brain finally feels comfortable with how the UI works now.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids ➡️
I'm going to put in my two cents after owning the Tempest for a while.

I bought my Tempest several years ago, I think it was 2017. I played with it, but didn't get on with it back then because the UI was different than what I was expecting. (With that said, I Iiked the quality of the drums onboard and the things you could do to them.)

Fast forward to the pandemic. I started using synths and drum machines I had neglected and realized certain ones need to be a part of my setup, while I should sell others.

The lesson I learned with the Tempest was that I ran my paces with it years ago and got acquainted to the UI, created patterns with it, and synthesized drums. After years dormant, I picked up the Tempest again and knew where things were in the menus, which made it easier for me to navigate and do what I wanted to do. Plus I recently learned new functions that I never used before. I started to realize the Tempest is much more useful and clever than I remember lots of people giving it credit for.

Now I'm realizing that the UI works in my brain. I feel that my muscle memory is the reason along with the UI not being so complicated. I relearned the UI and it was fluid for me this time. I'm not a fan of Elektrons heavy use of shift buttons. The Tempest is much more fluid for me because it's not a heavy shift button machine, even though there are some basic shift button functionality. And being that I've always liked the drum sounds, I'm starting to see this machine suits me quite well.

What I like: The sound. The sound editing options. The sequencer. And the big x0x drum pads are great because if you use it as an x0x sequencer, the steps respond to your velocity that you hit them at for each of the x0x step. The other thing I really like is being able to see multiple drum tracks x0x steps on the screen all at once. If you want to change the velocity, gate, pitch, etc for each step then you can use a knob to switch back and forth between those parameters. That ability is great, but doing it with one knob is not. Work arounds are available in the form of the ribbon controllers that are assignable and can be used for having the screen knob be showing Gate and the ribbons assigned to pitch and velocity. So it's actually really clever. For sound editing, it's very quick to navigate to parameters I want and there are a lot of useful ones with dedicated knobs already, not to mention the assignable ribbons again.

While everyone wants sample import and doesn't like bugs, I don't experience any bugs that stop me from creating what I want from the Tempest. The Tempest is a solid self contained drum machine with drum sounds I like, so I never miss being able to use my own samples. I would welcome a future Tempest 2 that could do that, but if I ever want to use samples, I'll just get out a Gotharman's and have at it. Plus the amount of drum and synth sounds you can get out of the Tempest actually are a lot more than other drum machines. Not to mention you can combine 2 analog and 2 digital parts in a ton of different combinations to make just one sound. Very impressive for a drum machine. Sounds can be very dynamic because of this.

I thought I would share my 'revelation' just because I initially picked it back up thinking that I didn't like using it. But just not using it for a long period and coming back to it with an open mind (knowing what I already knew about it), I realized my brain didn't dislike the UI and I started to relearn the UI and was fine with using it how the Tempest UI is already laid out. I never thought about selling it, even when I wasn't using it because I liked the sounds. But I'm just glad that my brain finally feels comfortable with how the UI works now.
I need to revisit mine and spend more time with it.
📝 Reply