The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for an organ or organ emulator
Old 8th December 2010

🎧 10 years
Looking for an organ or organ emulator

Hi,

Firstly hello, secondly I know absolutely nothing about organs or how to get the sound I’m after so please go easy with me! That being said I do know the sound I am after and hopefully one of you kind people can point me in the right direction.

Below are two you tube videos with the kind of sound I’m am looking to create. Each of these songs are start with the organ sound that i like:

YouTube - All the Saints "Farmacia" | indieATL session

or this band

YouTube - Dead Confederate "The Rat"

I currently play in a similar band to the two above and we would love to get an instrument capable of this sound but it must be portable and moneys at a premium. I think the second band posted play a Roland vr-760 but that is way out of our price bracket. It looks like the first band is actually using a vintage organ, what would an actual organ cost that would do that job for us cost?

So if anyone could point us in the direction of a well priced portable instrument (organ or emulator) we would be most grateful!

Thanks!!
Old 8th December 2010
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
EHX HOG pedal!
YouTube - Effectology, Vol. 4: Hammond B-3 Organ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum_H ➡️
Hi,

Firstly hello, secondly I know absolutely nothing about organs or how to get the sound I’m after so please go easy with me! That being said I do know the sound I am after and hopefully one of you kind people can point me in the right direction.

Below are two you tube videos with the kind of sound I’m am looking to create. Each of these songs are start with the organ sound that i like:

YouTube - All the Saints "Farmacia" | indieATL session

or this band

YouTube - Dead Confederate "The Rat"

I currently play in a similar band to the two above and we would love to get an instrument capable of this sound but it must be portable and moneys at a premium. I think the second band posted play a Roland vr-760 but that is way out of our price bracket. It looks like the first band is actually using a vintage organ, what would an actual organ cost that would do that job for us cost?

So if anyone could point us in the direction of a well priced portable instrument (organ or emulator) we would be most grateful!

Thanks!!
Old 9th December 2010 | Show parent

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
That's a Hammond B3 into an overdriven Leslie. THE hardest organ sound to cop. The best low priced way to get it to find a Hammond M3 (same tone engine as the B3) into one of the unpowered Leslie cabs (which are WAY cheaper than the powered ones). Total cost maybe $600-1000. A real B3 and Leslie start at a couple of thousand and are even heavier...

As to what digital keyboards can get you that sound? Can't help with that, although my (very) old Yamaha SK30 does a pretty good job into a real Leslie cab for under $200.
Old 9th January 2011 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
If you have a laptop computer with music software that can be a host for virtual instruments then I'd suggest checking out the VB3. I bought it about 3 days ago (70 bucks). And I am loving it.

I am shopping around for a good, REAL Hammond, but in the meantime this virtual Hammond is fantastic.

There are some good YouTube videos that show it in action. It has a Leslie emulator built in.

GSi - Soundware for musicians

YouTube - VB3 Tonewheel Organ VST intro
Old 16th January 2012

🎧 10 years
I know its expensive, but the nord c2 is probably the best organ on the market(sounds almost as good as a bx3) hwilst having all the classic features such as rotary speaker and loads of adjustable effects on the interface. Its stacked, offering more possibilities for soloing or your band, and nord offers sound sample of its website if you own one of their products to check out. Heres a RADICAL organ player on youtube using it, god bless y'all:

Nord C2 Funk Test 1 - YouTube
Old 16th January 2012

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Roland make a module that has drawbars. If you already have other keyboards, that would be a great way to add organ that is probably identical to the VR760.

The Nord stuff is not bad, but their drawbar arrangment is frustrating. It's ok if you are just a preset player, but a large part of the magic of a drawbar organ is 'playing' the drawbars ... so pecking at some buttons that respond in their own sweet time is very uncool.

But why not go to the source: Hammond was the original that everyone wants to copy. Hammond Suzuki have been making digital versions of their organs for some time. Like buying a Fender strat ... they aren't as good as the originals, and maybe other makers now build better instruments, but hey - it's a Fender (or Hammond as the case may be).
Old 16th January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeEP ➡️
If you have a laptop computer with music software that can be a host for virtual instruments then I'd suggest checking out the VB3. I bought it about 3 days ago (70 bucks). And I am loving it.

I am shopping around for a good, REAL Hammond, but in the meantime this virtual Hammond is fantastic.

There are some good YouTube videos that show it in action. It has a Leslie emulator built in.

GSi - Soundware for musicians

YouTube - VB3 Tonewheel Organ VST intro
+1 for the excellent VB3.
📝 Reply