Rocks! ;p
Old 16th November 2010
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Let's wait 'till tomorrow to find it out
Old 17th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i've been demoing it for 30 mins and really having fun.

seems exactly like what a software drum machine should be like to me. i'm just getting on with it without having to investigate the manual every 5 mins.

didn't really ever get on with maschine, however i am liking BPM (with a few reservations) but this has lots of things BPM has, but seems better implemented, easier to get at, easier to do what you want.

plenty of things i've not investigated yet and i've only got the demo sounds to play with - would be interested to hear what sort of library comes with it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yikes, just downloaded the demo and that has to be one of the worst GUIs I've ever seen... looks confusing as hell, bad graphics, fonts, color choices. Reminds me of Windows XP or something.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia ➑️
Yikes, just downloaded the demo and that has to be one of the worst GUIs I've ever seen... looks confusing as hell, bad graphics, color choices. Reminds me of Windows XP or something.
really? i thought it was fine. not brilliant, but i could live with it for sure. you can customise the colours i think - i found a variety of 'colour schemes' in a preference somewhere.

i am another 30 mins in and i've got to say for me this seems like a great bit of software - very well thought out in the way it works. lots of useful tricks and shortcuts or aids for decent workflow.

i don't think it has synth modelling for drum sounds though, which is a shame. don't think you can drag and drop patterns and sounds either, which is a major plus in BPM.
Old 18th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Goldie ➑️
didn't really ever get on with maschine, however i am liking BPM (with a few reservations) but this has lots of things BPM has, but seems better implemented, easier to get at, easier to do what you want.
You can't really compare Maschine with software-only tools like BPM, Battery, Geist...etc. The hardware controller is an integral part of its entire concept and workflow. Downloading a torrent of just the software is not going to give you an idea of what it's really about.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by noggin ➑️
You can't really compare Maschine with software-only tools like BPM, Battery, Geist...etc. The hardware controller is an integral part of its entire concept and workflow. Downloading a torrent of just the software is not going to give you an idea of what it's really about.
Please ask for facts before calling me out as a cracked software user with no idea of what I'm talking about...!

I've got Maschine, version 1.5. Its got a controller, but of course it is software like all the rest, so it can be compared - however i was really comparing Geist with BPM if you read the post. I'm using the Maschine controller with BPM and i'll use it with Geist.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Please ask for facts before calling me out as a cracked software user with no idea of what I'm talking about...

I've got Maschine, version 1.5. Its got a controller, but of course it is software like all the rest, so it can be compared - however i was really comparing Geist with BPM if you read the post. I'm using the Maschine controller with BPM and i'll use it with Geist.

How can you use the Maschine controller with Geist? BPM has it's own controller as well....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primativ ➑️
How can you use the Maschine controller with Geist?
i don't mean that you get the same experience as with maschine - i.e. operating geist without looking at the computer screen and looking at the screens on the maschine itself.

i mean using the maschine controller like you would do an akai mpd 32, korg pad or similar. you're just using it as a midi controller, but it is very flexible as maschine comes with a very good control customisation app and geist has extensive midi learn capability, and bpm does too to some extent. geist has downloadable templates for maschine, i've not tried them out yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primativ ➑️
BPM has it's own controller as well....
no it doesn't. you might have seen the hardware controller that a keen user built for themselves! just a one off, didn't have a screen built in or anything.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i don't mean that you get the same experience as with maschine - i.e. operating geist without looking at the computer screen and looking at the screens on the maschine itself.

i mean using the maschine controller like you would do an akai mpd 32, korg pad or similar. you're just using it as a midi controller, but it is very flexible as maschine comes with a very good control customisation app and geist has extensive midi learn capability, and bpm does too to some extent. geist has downloadable templates for maschine, i've not tried them out yet.

no it doesn't. you might have seen the hardware controller that a keen user built for themselves! just a one off, didn't have a screen built in or anything.
AH my bad....it was probably an akai pad I saw...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
you need to chill dude,
no one wrote anything about torrents or cracked software.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
any USEFULL comments?
Really excited to test it...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Geist is worth spending some time with, but imo a quick demo isn't really going to reveal its depth though it will give some indication as to the sound quality of the resampling & fx.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensorychaos ➑️
any USEFULL comments?
Really excited to test it...
check our their instructional videos first, they are really good and give a better idea of how flexible and well thought out it is. then try out the demo. i think you can tell by the videos if its what you're after or not. for me it was a done deal - it reminded me of my old Roland R8 workflow but with a jet engine up its backside

Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Just get it!! Don't worry about the GUI!! It is what the program can and will do!!thumbsup
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Please ask for facts before calling me out as a cracked software user with no idea of what I'm talking about...!

I wasn't accusing you or anyone here of having pirated software. Sorry if you got that impression. I should have said "For example,...". Was just pointing out that this happens a lot and that, as I'm sure you can attest to, Maschine is just one of those things that just trying the software only is not going to give you an idea of what it's really about.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I wasn't accusing you or anyone here of having pirated software. Sorry if you got that impression. I should have said "For example,...". Was just pointing out that this happens a lot and that, as I'm sure you can attest to, Maschine is just one of those things that just trying the software only is not going to give you an idea of what it's really about.
Ok no problem
Agreed - trying out Maschine's software without the controller would not be such a good idea.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
This thing sounds awesome. Much better than GURU, and I liked GURU.
The filters and compression are a step ahead of the game, there is a Breverb reverb, and the workflow is real tight.

To my mind, this thing is a winner. thumbsup
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Meh. I never liked Guru as I found it too limited and clunky and after testing out Geist, it still doesn't cut it. Not that I would ever use this as I have Maschine. The sequencer is still too limited and is missing some basic no-brainer features. You can't sequence melodic and keyboard parts with MIDI. There's not even tap tempo or count in. And looks like they took out the only feature that I thought was at least interesting in Guru: the randomization slider. All in all, too little too late and doesn't justify the hype.
Old 19th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You've had a strong dislike for this thing since it was first announced.

I have Maschine. I love it. But this is really cool in a different way. They're just different things to me.

- c
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Been trying the demo and personally, I'm really liking it. I had Maschine, but sold it - it didn't gel with my workflow and I thought its DAW integration wasn't all that efficient or smooth. I'm finding Geist does exactly what I want it to do and doesn't try to do unnecessary stuff (like host VSTs - I have Logic for that).

Try the demo, see how it fits YOUR workflow, don't listen to anybody on GS.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I wouldn't see this as a competition to Maschine or really even BPM, it's not just a 'drum sampler'/sound source or integrated sequencing app (though it can sequence itself quite quite well.) Instead it's a sampler & rhythm machine with full sequencing support internally (including all params) and via your DAW, with a much better workflow than Guru. Personally I dig it, did the beta test and can't wait until my budget allows purchasing full retail (not that it's expensive but we're in the holidays and my wife's bday literally coincided with this release.)

And yes the sound quality & Fx are measurably improved over Guru, as is the workflow (on the fxpansion forums in the Geist subforum there's a full post on how it's the spiritual successor to but not a newer version of Guru.)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have Maschine but thing looks really interesting, it does many things Maschine doesn't and vice versa, just wondering how I will fit it into my workflow?

I should try the demo.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I was part of the beta team and this thing is incredible. So deep but easy to use. Great sounding fx and filters and some very innovative and useful features.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
check our their instructional videos first, they are really good and give a better idea of how flexible and well thought out it is. then try out the demo. i think you can tell by the videos if its what you're after or not. for me it was a done deal - it reminded me of my old Roland R8 workflow but with a jet engine up its backside

You have me curious since you say it reminds you of an R8. (I used an R8 before my first MPC and if Roland had a sampler on that thing it woulda been history. And don't mind noggin he's here to promote maschine no matter what you're discussing. If there's a negative comment about Maschine, he'll start putting up wording from NI brochures lol.)

This may be what I need for working on the road. But I never understood their concept of tying patterns to engines. I guess I'm looking for drum machine type workflow. I would like to see several pad banks that can be used in any pattern instead of a pad bank being an "engine" that's tied to a set of sequences.

Why o Why won't someone just make an MPC sequencer and tie it to battery so I can sequence midi in the same program in a drum machine. It would seem this should be something in protools that wouldn't require anything complex since protools already sequences. I'd like to see an "mpc mode" here you approach the sequencer via an interface that works like an MPC but writes the midi in protools. That would be hot.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The color scheme seems a little bland and boring.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK ➑️
You have me curious since you say it reminds you of an R8. (I used an R8 before my first MPC and if Roland had a sampler on that thing it woulda been history.
It reminded me of that way of working - tap in the notes to a metronome, if you don't like some of the snare hits then hold down 'erase' button and press the 'snare pad' when it loops over the ones you don't like, carry on tapping etc. i suppose you need a hardware controller for full effect (black one to remind you of the R8!) But to be honest i've been tapping in rhythms on the mouse just while i'm learning it.

So I'm not saying its the same, but its got that kind of Roland step sequencer thing going on. R8 was one of the best drum machines ever made I used to tweak everything with the value slider - you could pitch all the notes on the fly, or bring all the decays down to zero for clicky drums and then back out to full decay. Brilliant. Used to run out of notes though... And then the pads stopped working... And then it was dead.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It reminded me of that way of working - tap in the notes to a metronome, if you don't like some of the snare hits then hold down 'erase' button and press the 'snare pad' when it loops over the ones you don't like, carry on tapping etc. i suppose you need a hardware controller for full effect (black one to remind you of the R8!) But to be honest i've been tapping in rhythms on the mouse just while i'm learning it.

So I'm not saying its the same, but its got that kind of Roland step sequencer thing going on. R8 was one of the best drum machines ever made I used to tweak everything with the value slider - you could pitch all the notes on the fly, or bring all the decays down to zero for clicky drums and then back out to full decay. Brilliant. Used to run out of notes though... And then the pads stopped working... And then it was dead.

I'm a guru user and will upgrade to geist, but "pitch all the notes on the fly, or bring all the decays down to zero for clicky drums and then back out to full decay" is something very easily done with drum racks in live.
Old 21st November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I've done a lot more testing with Geist, including loading up kits in GURU and Geist side by side to notice the difference.

1st, Geist is a lot louder. I don't know if there is a limiter or compressor on the output, but its much louder than GURU and the bass is rounder. Whatever it is, it makes your sampes soung GOOD.

The browsing is a cut above GURU, its easier to save favorites, etc.

The Geist user content smokes GURU's in terms of quality, seems light compared to GURU's
When it comes to quantity. Guru had hundreds of BFD kits, hip hop, etc. Geistis very dance heavy, with little hip hop and zero acoustic content. But what it does have sounds solid.

In some ways, like slicing, its easier to use than GURU. In one way GURU is easier- amplitude envelopes. Geist uses a new code for amplitude envelopes that was probably borrowed from DCAM synth squad. Big mistake. You don't visually see the envelope shape over the waveform, which is key to simple and quick editing in GURU. They need to change this back.

In both, I think its good to have 8 sound engines, but not good to have 8 separate sequences
(this makes song mode more complex than it needs to be).

We hear from Fxpansion that things like tap tempo are coming.

All in all, I would use this in a mix befor GURU because it sounds thick and heavy.
Old 17th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hooo I'm jumping into this thread cos I just demoed Geist for some days and I'm exciteeeed....!
I have been using Guru for ages and always thought the kick on any kit sounds a bit weak... also workflow had a few downsides like the sequence pages and the browser...
but Geist is just amazing. Great sound, great GUI, great workflow, great possibilities. I'll definitely do the crossgrade in the next days.

I agree, Tap Tempo is missing at the moment but according to some statements in their forums this is planned for a future release.
πŸ“ Reply