Quantcast
Mellotron M4000D vs Mtron Pro - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mellotron M4000D vs Mtron Pro
Old 10th May 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty ➡️
And yet I still love my M4000D mini despite everything above.
The thing with the M4000D is that while it uses pristine transfers of the original tapes it models the characteristics of different machines in various conditions. I can't speak for how good that modelling is, but it makes sense to start with clean samples if you're going to use filtering and modulation to make the sound more authentic. That's why I don't really get the "ya but it doesn't use the Streetly samples" thing. They weren't trying to mimic one specific machine in one specific condition.
Old 10th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer ➡️
The thing with the M4000D is that while it uses pristine transfers of the original tapes it models the characteristics of different machines in various conditions. I can't speak for how good that modelling is, but it makes sense to start with clean samples if you're going to use filtering and modulation to make the sound more authentic. That's why I don't really get the "ya but it doesn't use the Streetly samples" thing. They weren't trying to mimic one specific machine in one specific condition.
Yes I meant to mention that too, you can change between various
Mellotron models in settings , so it’s not just like it came off
Pristine tape.

Either way I love my M4000D mini I used it all over my last album.
Old 11th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ Tronman
Thank you so much. I appreciate it.
Old 31st July 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Are we still loving the M4000D over the M-Tron Pro in 2021? I’m looking to make the jump to an M4000D mini soon and would love some more insight. Thank you
Old 31st July 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx ➡️
Are we still loving the M4000D over the M-Tron Pro in 2021? I’m looking to make the jump to an M4000D mini soon and would love some more insight. Thank you
I always return to my M4000D even though I have M-tron Pro as well. I purchased the latter with the goal of selling my M4000D and while initially thrilled I just keep preferring the sound of the M4000D and have no plans to get rid of it.
Quote:
Do you want software or do you want hardware? And if the latter, do you want pristine tape transfers or samples run through an m400? They all sound good, it's just up to what you want.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtycho ➡️
I always return to my M4000D even though I have M-tron Pro as well. I purchased the latter with the goal of selling my M4000D and while initially thrilled I just keep preferring the sound of the M4000D and have no plans to get rid of it.
Wow it sounds that much better? That’s good to know, I think I will just make the purchase
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Wow it sounds that much better? That’s good to know, I think I will just make the purchase
NO, I wouldn’t say it sounds THAT much better, I just prefer it, don’t know why really. It’s more compelling to me from a hardware and sound perspective, but I’m not saying I would pick it out in a blind test.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtycho ➡️
NO, I wouldn’t say it sounds THAT much better, I just prefer it, don’t know why really. It’s more compelling to me from a hardware and sound perspective, but I’m not saying I would pick it out in a blind test.
Gotcha! Maybe the tactile feel helps connect you with the instrument more.
📝 Reply