Quantcast
Microwave Problem - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Microwave Problem
Old 2nd November 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Microwave Problem

Sunday afternoon I turned on the Waldorf Microwave and discovered a problem. It appears that the battery may be dying or has died. Altho I am a bit unsure. Here are the symptoms.
On power up it appears all of my internal patches are gone. The patches names gone in place of those names is something like the following.

01 ====aaaaa====
02 =aaaaaaaa=====
03 =aaaatttttttttppppp
04 aaaaaaaaattttttttpp
05 ttttttttttpppppppppp
06 tttttpppppp=====
07 =====ttttttppppp

and so on. This pattern runs though bank A and B.
The patches on the cards appear correctly with the names.

The other half of this problem appears to be all the parameters are giltched to bizarre default off/low type setting.

Master volume appears set to 15.
Pitch bend= off
Aftertouch =off
Mod wheel = off
Basically all controllers set to off.

Furthermore when entering a multimode bank all instruments are set to off as well. No channels are assigned to instruments.

Has anybody else experienced this problem?
I am making an estimated guess that it is the battery as everything appears normal other than what I have described.

Judging from Gerke Boele pictures it appears to be a simple watch style battery.

Can I open this puppy up and switch the battery myself? Or Is this a soldering job? In which case I will have to take it to a tech. ( I don't want to start my first soldering lessons on this, a Casio maybe.)

Can anybody offer some input?
Thanks for your help guys.
d.
Old 2nd November 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 ➑️
Can I open this puppy up and switch the battery myself? Or Is this a soldering job? In which case I will have to take it to a tech. ( I don't want to start my first soldering lessons on this, a Casio maybe.)
I changed the battery on my MW1 (revision A) a while ago. I don't recall needing a soldering iron. Waldorfian has an image of open MW1s:

Clearly the MW1 (revision B in the middle) has a socket for the battery. Good luck! thumbsup
Old 2nd November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ah yes, thank you for the reply and the pic.
I have a Rev A as well. I did in fact find another pic from a better angle. I am able to see in more detail. It looks as if no soldering will be required. Thankfully!

Is there anything I need to be concerned about when opening it up? Other than losing screws. heh
Attached Thumbnails
Microwave Problem-mws_1_overview.jpg  
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds like when my microwave needed a new battery. Reading the corrupt patches can also crash the synth btw.

Grounding is probably the main issue to be concerned about when opening gear. If you have earthed mains power sockets, you can leave the mains cable plugged in, with the switch at the socket off, just to provide earthing. Then, either use a static strap attached to the chassis, or just make sure you contact the chassis often enough to discharge any build up. This may be more or less of an issue depending on your environmental conditions.

Anyway, it's an easy fix.

After you have done that, I suggest you also back up any RAM card patches, and then replace their batteries too. I lost my RAM card contents with flat batteries. I have three blanks now.

Also, do you have the latest OS EPROMs? If you are going to open it up, it might be a good time to install a new OS.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
It happened to me a couple of months ago as well on my MWI. Thankfully, I had all my patches in Sounddiver, so it was just a question of putting them back. Strangely, it hasn't happened since, so I'm unsure if it's the battery or something else. If it does happen again, it's battery replacement time.

r,
j,
Old 3rd November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli ➑️
Sounds like when my microwave needed a new battery. Reading the corrupt patches can also crash the synth btw.

Grounding is probably the main issue to be concerned about when opening gear. If you have earthed mains power sockets, you can leave the mains cable plugged in, with the switch at the socket off, just to provide earthing. Then, either use a static strap attached to the chassis, or just make sure you contact the chassis often enough to discharge any build up. This may be more or less of an issue depending on your environmental conditions.

Anyway, it's an easy fix.

After you have done that, I suggest you also back up any RAM card patches, and then replace their batteries too. I lost my RAM card contents with flat batteries. I have three blanks now.

Also, do you have the latest OS EPROMs? If you are going to open it up, it might be a good time to install a new OS.
Thanks for mentioning the bit about corrupt patches. Perhaps it is best if the machine is left off until I do the battery swap?

I do not have the latest OS EPROMS. I currently have OS 1.25 in it. I also have the Waveslave. My understanding is that once it is updated to v 2.0 the Waveslave will not function properly. So its a bit of a trade off. Do
I want the 8 extra voices or do I want the added features of the new OS 2.0?
The list of new features is pretty extensive in 2.0. Maybe its worth it. Is it a simple pop in pop out job too?

The question then becomes what to do with the Waveslave? Ebay?!?
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for mentioning the bit about corrupt patches. Perhaps it is best if the machine is left off until I do the battery swap?
I don't think it is a major issue. I'm pretty sure you can just restart the machine to recover from that condition. I believe some corrupt data can end up trying to access non existent addresses, though I'm not certain.

Quote:
I do not have the latest OS EPROMS. I currently have OS 1.25 in it. I also have the Waveslave. My understanding is that once it is updated to v 2.0 the Waveslave will not function properly. So its a bit of a trade off.
I believe the Wave Slave would still work correctly for patches which only use the 1.25 OS features. I think any patches using the later features would behave in an unusual fashion. I think I read that somewhere.

Quote:
Is it a simple pop in pop out job too?
It's simple enough. You just need to know where to put each chip. From memory, there are two eight bit chips, which are read in parallel to form 16 bit words. Probably your chips will be marked as either low/high or even/odd byte. If you can replace like for like, you should be fine. Take your time removing and inserting chips from their sockets. Even if you have a chip puller, you still need to be careful, and take your time. Sometimes a fine tip precision screw driver can be easier to use. I think there is some info on the Waldorfian site as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli ➑️
I don't think it is a major issue. I'm pretty sure you can just restart the machine to recover from that condition. I believe some corrupt data can end up trying to access non existent addresses, though I'm not certain.

I believe the Wave Slave would still work correctly for patches which only use the 1.25 OS features. I think any patches using the later features would behave in an unusual fashion. I think I read that somewhere.

It's simple enough. You just need to know where to put each chip. From memory, there are two eight bit chips, which are read in parallel to form 16 bit words. Probably your chips will be marked as either low/high or even/odd byte. If you can replace like for like, you should be fine. Take your time removing and inserting chips from their sockets. Even if you have a chip puller, you still need to be careful, and take your time. Sometimes a fine tip precision screw driver can be easier to use. I think there is some info on the Waldorfian site as well.
Wow great info Oli! Thanks, I appreciate it. I am gonna need a small tool kit and the chips and I should be in business. Awesome.
Thanks
d.
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
After getting the same issue that Dubtek71 did, I'm going to be replacing my battery tonight. The most convenient brand to get is Energizer for me, but I'm wondering if any certain brand is recommended.
Old 4th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistor ➑️
It happened to me a couple of months ago as well on my MWI. Thankfully, I had all my patches in Sounddiver, so it was just a question of putting them back. Strangely, it hasn't happened since, so I'm unsure if it's the battery or something else. If it does happen again, it's battery replacement time.

r,
j,
Just curious if you are saying that you had the same problem as Dubtek and I. I replaced my battery and am going to try and load some patches back into the banks. Does waldorf have all the stock presets for the Microwave on their site?
Old 4th January 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Try here and here. Not sure these are factory presets. There have been others available.
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the links.

So I realized that the midi will work on banks C & D using one of my Waldorf cards.

So this issue is actually a really easy fix, I've realized. Basically the battery (going bad) somehow must've scrambled my patches in banks A & B, but when I use a card banks C & D still show up. Banks A & B won't receive midi, but banks C & D. So I think the midi will work on banks A & B once I load patches in them (since they were scrambled from the battery glitching/going bad).

All in all, what seems like the Microwave not responding to midi is probably a Waldorf safety. The safety is not allowing you to play scrambled patches on banks A & B via midi.

So if anyone gets the same issue Dubtek did in post 1, just remember you need to load new patches into banks A & B.
Old 25th November 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi Rids!
Man i'm having this problem to in a revision A... changed the battery but it still persist, and i can't load any new patches on banks A and B cause they wouldn't receive sysex... can anyone help me a bit with this?? even when trying to start in service mode it just shows those characters but no service mode...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids ➑️
Thanks for the links.

So I realized that the midi will work on banks C & D using one of my Waldorf cards.

So this issue is actually a really easy fix, I've realized. Basically the battery (going bad) somehow must've scrambled my patches in banks A & B, but when I use a card banks C & D still show up. Banks A & B won't receive midi, but banks C & D. So I think the midi will work on banks A & B once I load patches in them (since they were scrambled from the battery glitching/going bad).

All in all, what seems like the Microwave not responding to midi is probably a Waldorf safety. The safety is not allowing you to play scrambled patches on banks A & B via midi.

So if anyone gets the same issue Dubtek did in post 1, just remember you need to load new patches into banks A & B.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids ➑️
Thanks for the links.

Yes, this seems to be the thing. I see that I haven't updated my earlier post (well, it's been a couple of years), but the battery was indeed going south. After a replacement, I had to reload the A and B banks from Sounddiver. That took care of the issue altogether.

If the machine has locked out AB, perhaps a full bank dump from a factory set will do the trick?

r,
j,
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hey man, thx for your answer, know this was an old post.
Nah... don't know why, but it wouldn't receive any sysex data, tried to dump factory banks AB but it's just like a brick. Honestly don't have any clue right now.

Thx anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistor ➑️
Yes, this seems to be the thing. I see that I haven't updated my earlier post (well, it's been a couple of years), but the battery was indeed going south. After a replacement, I had to reload the A and B banks from Sounddiver. That took care of the issue altogether.

If the machine has locked out AB, perhaps a full bank dump from a factory set will do the trick?

r,
j,
Old 25th November 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Ok, if anyone in the future is checking this and have the same issue as me, and after changing the battery still have those odd characters and MW not responding to midi messages, go dive the menu, when i turned the Wave 1 volume, under "filter/volume", the synth started receiving midi again, after that i was able to dump the factory presets that i downloaded from the Waldorf home page. All working properly after that.
Old 28th April 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Damian, had the same problem, tried your fix, and as far as I can see, it worked!!! Thanks.
Old 30th April 2015
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
it's the battery spare 3 volt "normal" type for Microwave?
thanks
w
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hi , replaced battery (first time) on my microwave ,

i placed a "2016" type ,

after a week patches lost again ,
battery voltage around 2 volt,

old stock battery ?
internal issue of microwave ?

the circular slot for battery is a bit more big respect the "2016" ,
and the tick of the "2016" seem a bit small , because the battery is not locked much well in the slot.

possible a "3032" type is the right one ?
somebody know thw original type used by waldorf ?

any help is welcome.
thanks
w.
Old 7th May 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I think the Waldorf Microwave takes CR2032 batteries.

Last edited by KYHMusic; 7th May 2015 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: might be right info
Old 8th May 2015
VST
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I keep glancing at this thread title and seeing it as 'Microwave popcorn'
Old 8th May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYHMusic ➑️
I think the Waldorf Microwave takes CR2032 batteries.

seem you are right
(check attached)
w
Attached Thumbnails
Microwave Problem-microwave-1-battery-slot.jpg   Microwave Problem-microwave-1-over-inside.jpg  
Old 17th January 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yes our MW1 has a CR2032 3V battery in it. I had to change it as well after the program names went wild. The fuse is going after a couple of minutes and the transformer get's hot. Will try replace the capacitors and see if that helps.
Old 25th April 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Life saver!!!! I've been trying to get my Microwave sorted for weeks and this just fixed it. YES!!!!!

....now to find that PPG soundset........
Old 5th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelprimecuts ➑️
....now to find that PPG soundset........
There was some sorta PPG soundset? Really?

I'd be highly interested in this, too!
Old 7th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-hiho ➑️
There was some sorta PPG soundset? Really?
I'd be highly interested in this, too!
Aaaah, found it. http://www.waldorf-music.info/en/har...ory/221-Sounds
πŸ“ Reply