The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Guess the synth game #21
Old 26th July 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Guess the synth game #21

As usual, all ten audio examples come from the same synth.

Choices:
Korg Wavestation EX
Roland D-70
Ensoniq MR61
Roland JD-800 with cards
Roland JX-1
Attached Files

Example%2001.mp3 (2.50 MB, 1846 views)

Example%2002.mp3 (1.01 MB, 1630 views)

Example%2003.mp3 (2.11 MB, 1599 views)

Example%2004.mp3 (1.91 MB, 1581 views)

Example%2005.mp3 (956.2 KB, 1523 views)

Example%2006.mp3 (2.51 MB, 1753 views)

Example%2007.mp3 (2.73 MB, 1569 views)

Example%2008.mp3 (2.71 MB, 1516 views)

Example%2009.mp3 (721.9 KB, 1476 views)

Example%2010.mp3 (2.07 MB, 1678 views)

Old 26th July 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Hmmm, this is a difficult one Paolo.

All or most of these synths could get close to those sounds. I can't quite hear JD800 (I use mine alot)but I could be wrong, it sounds very Wavestation, but there are no particularly long wavesequences which makes me suspicious heh

not played JX1 or D70 for very long and have spent no time with the ensoniq.

Ah bollox...

I say Wavestation.
Old 26th July 2010 | Show parent
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Sorry - I added a couple of specifications
Old 26th July 2010 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo ➑️
Sorry - I added a couple of specifications
heh

That changes things somewhat. I was thinking JD800 & Drums? hmmmm.

adding the card makes it a possibility, so I'm changing my answer to JD800 if thats allowed.
Old 26th July 2010 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➑️
heh

That changes things somewhat. I was thinking JD800 & Drums? hmmmm.

adding the card makes it a possibility, so I'm changing my answer to JD800 if thats allowed.

Of course it's allowed
Old 26th July 2010 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
ChristianRock's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I played an MR61 once at a store and I'd say this sounds in that ballpark. So that would be my guess. I haven't played a JX-1 but I'd guess you would stay far away from that thing :D

I was surprised at how good the grand piano sounded on that 1996 Ensoniq.
Old 26th July 2010 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock ➑️
I haven't played a JX-1 but I'd guess you would stay far away from that thing :D
Who, me? Nah! heh I'm an equal-opportunity synth-slutz. I remember that when Diametro came to my house (speaking of which - where is he?) he was surprised that I had Jupiter/Prophet/Oberheims next to Casios. I am not a "synth snob" - I like them all, from $5 and up.

That's not to say I'm giving hints that it is a JX-1 - just an FYI thumbsup
Old 26th July 2010
  #8
Moderator
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo ➑️
As usual, all ten audio examples come from the same synth.

Choices:
Korg Wavestation EX
Roland D-70
Ensoniq MR61
Roland JD-800 with cards
Roland JX-1


Too easy to play...

  • It isn't Wavestation, it's too clean for Wavestation lo/fi waveforms.
  • It isn't D-70 neither. I know D-70 quite well. This is too polished sound for D-70 dirty character.
  • It isn't JD-800 because:
    1) JD has no vocal samples.
    2) there are no vocal expansions for JD-800. So the "expansion card" trick won't work.

This leaves JX-1 and MR61. Never had any of those so i can't comment. I remember JX-1 has some specific organ sounds that none were shown here so this leaves Ensoniq MR-61. Further more i didn't heard any examples of filter resonance. None of Ensoniq synths have resonance (except ESQ-1, SQ-80 and Fizzle). So, it is Ensoniq MR61.

Old 27th July 2010 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
okay i will play. i really have no business being in this game tho considering i have only owned one of the synths mentioned. well, 2 kinda i have a wavestation A/D but it really has been neglected since the microwave showed up. in any case my guess is the jd-800 altho its been years since i've owned one!
Old 27th July 2010 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quick bump - come on people, give it a try

I will reveal the answer tonight
Old 27th July 2010 | Show parent
  #11
Moderator
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Come on folks!

The winner gets something special from me!
Old 27th July 2010 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
ChristianRock's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Ok Don, so what do I get? I said the answer before you did
Old 27th July 2010 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Jetty's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Ok, neither of these machines are in my department but I'll try to reason it out:

Korg Wavestation EX

- I remember it sounding a bit crispier, but definately a candidate.

Roland D-70

- Nope. It's long forgotten with good reason.

Ensoniq MR61

- Never heard, doesn't strike me as Ensoniq sound though (judging from VFX for instance)

Roland JD-800 with cards

- My prime candidate

Roland JX-1

- Errrrr. Your mother was a hamster....

I only heard the sounds once but there wasn't anything there that shouted vector synthesis. Neither was it LA (I think D-70 is rompler+la?) in your face. However, it sounded quite big and the pads were gorgeous at some points and there is quite a resemblance to Yamaha SY99. Hence, intuition says it was one of the SY's main competitors, JD-800 (D-70 was also a contender but never sounded that big).
Old 27th July 2010 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
homesweethome's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
example 2 sounds quite jd-800ish to me. i owned one, but cannot remember the exact sound of the machine. never had any of the others though.
Old 27th July 2010 | Show parent
  #15
Moderator
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock ➑️
Ok Don, so what do I get? I said the answer before you did
This:










For free of charge, from me.

Cheers! thumbsup
Old 28th July 2010 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
It is the Roland D-70





Surprisingly nobody guessed it, including...





Don, whom I know for sure has one

but that's to show that our ears can get tricked when listening to demos without looking at the source... even though imho it's got that classic Roland sound... but easy for me to say, isn'it?

I've wanted this synth for exactly twenty years... since playing the "Ghosties" sound in a Rome musical instrument store in 1990....

Btw, if anybody who has one is having problems loading the original factory sysex, let me know - it took me an hour of bonking my head but then figured it out.... like the D-50, one needs to slow down the sysex transmission really to a crawl to make it take.... and a couple of other things... I'll make a synthmania page for it with the steps.

The D-70 is - like many are aware of - more of a souped-up U-20 rather than a true L.A. synth, but the sound.... oooh the sound... is gorgeous. Good as MIDI controller too. Haven't delved too much into programming yet but it's the typical late '80/early '90s Roland synth.... tones --> patch --> performance.... comes to think... Roland still moves like that heh

I'll post a video if I get time, with my favorite patch, "Ghosties"
Old 28th July 2010 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo ➑️
It is the Roland D-70





Surprisingly nobody guessed it, including...





Don, whom I know for sure has one

but that's to show that our ears can get tricked when listening to demos without looking at the source... even though imho it's got that classic Roland sound... but easy for me to say, isn'it?

I've wanted this synth for exactly twenty years... since playing the "Ghosties" sound in a Rome musical instrument store in 1990....

Btw, if anybody who has one is having problems loading the original factory sysex, let me know - it took me an hour of bonking my head but then figured it out.... like the D-50, one needs to slow down the sysex transmission really to a crawl to make it take.... and a couple of other things... I'll make a synthmania page for it with the steps.

The D-70 is - like many are aware of - more of a souped-up U-20 rather than a true L.A. synth, but the sound.... oooh the sound... is gorgeous. Good as MIDI controller too. Haven't delved too much into programming yet but it's the typical late '80/early '90s Roland synth.... tones --> patch --> performance.... comes to think... Roland still moves like that heh

I'll post a video if I get time, with my favorite patch, "Ghosties"
I would like to know if you have been tracking the results at all? Which slut(z) have successfully identified the most synths? After 20 rounds are there a couple posters who can spot the synth by ear the same way a lot of us can spot the synth/gear in a blurry half darkened pic? a top 10 leaderboard perhaps? heh
Old 28th July 2010 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 ➑️
I would like to know if you have been tracking the results at all? Which slut(z) have successfully identified the most synths? After 20 rounds are there a couple posters who can spot the synth by ear the same way a lot of us can spot the synth/gear in a blurry half darkened pic? a top 10 leaderboard perhaps? heh
Never tracked it but there was nobody really who can spot them all... - but GS has only three or four games. I started these games at KSS years ago. Started using the same numbering here because I couldn't just keep using "here's another synth game".... too boring.

I do think I set the standard for the the "guess the synth" game on hte Internet though:
  • All audio examples must come from the same synth;
  • The audio examples must show the tonal variety of the synth (i.e., don't post all examples of generic resonant drones that could have been done an any synth!
  • Offer five possible answers
  • Include impossibly difficult to interpret hints! heh
Old 28th July 2010 | Show parent
  #19
Moderator
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo ➑️
Surprisingly nobody guessed it, including...




Don, whom I know for sure has one
me = FAIL!


heh
Just proves i've never tried it's factory presets. Same day i bought it, i filled all the banks with empty patches / tones. Makes life easier for programming. Speaking of, i always used the filter for darker sounds with plenty of resonance, and i did it a lot: YouTube - Roland D-70 Demo

Some of the patches in your demos sound fantastic. I guess i should try those factory patches after all...

Old 28th July 2010 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
me = FAIL!


heh
Just proves i've never tried it's factory presets. Same day i bought it, i filled all the banks with empty patches / tones. Makes life easier for programming. Speaking of, i always used the filter for darker sounds with plenty of resonance, and i did it a lot: YouTube - Roland D-70 Demo

Some of the patches in your demos sound fantastic. I guess i should try those factory patches afterall...
Hehe...
Don, I knew your D-70 video from before, great stuff thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Btw, my demos above are not all factory - some I tweaked a bit, like the first one

But yeah, the original factory are wonderful, you definitely need to load those up at least one time, if only for historical reasons, and also for "Slow n Low", "Ghosties" and "Sweepster".... classic patches, Don... classic patches...

just slow down the transmission of sysex to the synth or its MIDI buffer wil explode and the D-70 will transform into a mountain lion and eat you and afterwards stomp over your Jupiter-8 - you don't want that -

the d-70 factory sysex is online somewhere but if you can't find it I'll email it to you or anybody who needs it
Old 28th July 2010 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo ➑️
It is the Roland D-70



I'll post a video if I get time, with my favorite patch, "Ghosties"
Dang!

I guessed it was a Roland, but didn't recognise D70.

I remember that thread at KSS where Don got me all interested in it.

So Paolo is the winner of this round. Hehe!

(btw, Yamaha DX21 has a patch called 'Ghosties' also).
Old 28th July 2010 | Show parent
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Jetty's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I'm flabbergasted. Great quiz
Old 28th July 2010 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➑️
(btw, Yamaha DX21 has a patch called 'Ghosties' also).
True! Although the DX21 Ghosties sounds like the typical, funny, stereotypical theremin-style ghost sound effect we all know from 1950s scary movies, while the Ghosties on the D-70 is a ....... _____________

who can tell me what type of sound the D-70 Ghosties is ?

Game within the game

choices:

The D-70 "Ghosties" sound is a...

1. Soft string pad
2. Orchestra ensemble
3. Choir
4. Bell pad
5. Tuba and ocarina split
Old 28th July 2010 | Show parent
  #24
Moderator
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo ➑️
just slow down the transmission of sysex to the synth or its MIDI buffer wil explode and the D-70 will transform into a mountain lion and eat you and afterwards stomp over your Jupiter-8 - you don't want that -
heh

Been there. Went one step further. I wanted original factory state, so i did the Factory Reset. DO NOT DO THAT unless you have original factory SYX system data, because that reset kills the complete system. And that includes screen fonts. heh

Good side: i found the factory SYX data (don't know on which site). The machine sucked it in without any speed restrictions. I then did the dump to check the speed, turned out to be probably the fastest SYX stream i've ever seen. It seems like only the Patch/Tone data requires slow SYX speeds. The system however can run at full speed (even faster than default in MIDI-OX).

If you will ever desire to do factory reset to make sure everything is "default" as the day instrument was manufactured, let me know. I now have instructions as well.


Ghosties: i think i remember that name, but don't remember the content. Something with the voices i guess.
Old 28th July 2010 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Xero's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
heh, i don't own nor am i familiar with pretty much any of these synths...i sorta didn't play the game because of that!!!

i'm too much of an analog slut i guess.
Old 28th July 2010 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
heh

Been there. Went one step further. I wanted original factory state, so i did the Factory Reset. DO NOT DO THAT unless you have original factory SYX system data, because that reset kills the complete system. And that includes screen fonts. heh

Good side: i found the factory SYX data (don't know on which site). The machine sucked it in without any speed restrictions. I then did the dump to check the speed, turned out to be probably the fastest SYX stream i've ever seen. It seems like only the Patch/Tone data requires slow SYX speeds. The system however can run at full speed (even faster than default in MIDI-OX).

If you will ever desire to do factory reset to make sure everything is "default" as the day instrument was manufactured, let me know. I now have instructions as well.

Ghosties: i think i remember that name, but don't remember the content. Something with the voices i guess.
Weird, I had to really set the TX speed to very low on mine.... maybe I have an early rev..

Yeah, I know how to reset it to factory by pressing number 8 at power up - and yes, it resets everything and the fonts and all

by then you would a number 5 at powerup to offer the load all sysex, but I've found you don't even need it... the synth will accept incoming sysex from the normal play mode.... however on my rev had to be very slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero ➑️
heh, i don't own nor am i familiar with pretty much any of these synths...i sorta didn't play the game because of that!!!

i'm too much of an analog slut i guess.
you can give it a guess for fun!
Old 2nd August 2010 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Btw, people - the Roland D-70 "Ghosties" patch is a bell-pad.

It's the D-70's version of Fantasia, modernized for the 1990s, and uses bell and vox-pad.

Here is the Ghosties patch - the first sound in this video:

Old 2nd August 2010 | Show parent
  #28
Moderator
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Amazing. A synth so old, sounds so good. The Prologue part was my favorite. I think JV-80 had the same named patch. JV-80 is D-70's direct successor.

I will try to find the supplier of LCD's for some classic green LCD. This EL foil thing burns too fast and the LCD itself is so dim.
Old 2nd August 2010 | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
Amazing. A synth so old, sounds so good. The Prologue part was my favorite. I think JV-80 had the same named patch. JV-80 is D-70's direct successor.

I will try to find the supplier of LCD's for some classic green LCD. This EL foil thing burns too fast and the LCD itself is so dim.
I agree 100%, Don.... I am really liking the D-70 a lot. That late '80s/ early '90s line of Roland synths was good - D-series, U-series, JD-series, JV-series, ... nice sound.

The Prologue patch is also a classic Roland patch, I remember the little guy, the JX-1 - has it.

My LCD is also a bit dim, but still lit enough to be perfectly readable. I'll change it when it gets worse.
Old 2nd August 2010 | Show parent
  #30
Moderator
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo ➑️
My LCD is also a bit dim, but still lit enough to be perfectly readable. I'll change it when it gets worse.
You can just replace the foil - it's 30$. It's piece of cake and it will light as new - the contrast will increase as well.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 70 views: 21100
Avatar for sonus
sonus 20th February 2010
replies: 83 views: 19610
Avatar for ScottA2A
ScottA2A 7th December 2021
replies: 35 views: 5054
Avatar for Don Solaris
Don Solaris 17th October 2011
replies: 90 views: 17360
Avatar for bitleyTM
bitleyTM 1 week ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump