The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MPK61 vs. Axiom 61 vs. Oxygen 61 V3 vs. A-800PRO
Old 29th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by modularjack ➑️
The Midi out and in ports work fine when you are plugged into USB however you should probably quickly read the user manual to get your head around how they are setup in the device manager. Basically you end up with 2 midi ins and outs, one of them being dedicated to the controller itself whereas the actual midi plugs on the back of the keyboard become Midi OUT/IN B. This had me scratching my head for half an hour trying to get the keyboard to control my hardware while USBed but after I cracked the manual it all made sense.
aha!

so you can use both the usb midi port and the physical out simultanously, just by switching the global channel to "b"?

(suppose I can just go try it instead of asking lol)
Old 29th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i had a axiom 49 but the key actions on it sucks. i thought that the key action on my friend's korg triton le wasn't as good as the digital pianos at my college. but after i bought the axiom, made some beats, and went back to the korg; the korg keys feel so much better than the axiom. but then again, i'm comparing a $1300 workstation with a $250 midi keyboard.

so, i bought a akai mpk mini so that i can put it in my backback along with my laptop and make beats anywhere in Seoul, Korea like the hundreds of coffee shops here or my friends' apt.

and i then compared it to my axiom. i prefer the keys on my akai over the axiom. so, i was contemplating shipping my axiom to korea (i was in the states at the time) or buying a mpk49 in korea. i was reading amazon reviews on both of them and i saw issues about the blue screen of death on axioms. so, i sold my axiom will i was still in the states instead of worrying about it breaking in korea and having to mail it to cali to get it fixed. and i'm going to pick up a mpk49 soon despite the higher price of the mpk49 (₩539,000 won/$483.65) vs. the axiom mark ii 49 (₩498,200won /$ 447.04)
mpk49
Gmarket - Buy and Sell Apparel, Cosmetics, Jewelry, Electronics & more at low price
axiom mark ii 49
Gmarket - Buy and Sell Apparel, Cosmetics, Jewelry, Electronics & more at low price
(it's probably actually cheaper here because i can always negotiate on the price if i go to a store instead of buying it online).

so i'd rather go with something that i know will not break on me (the "negotiating" stores here probably don't like to accept returns/exchanges). the akai keys feeling bad is over-exaggerated, unless you are somebody who owns one and prefers another brand. the mpk mini's keys are stiffer than axiom but i prefer stiffer keys over those "too little resistant" axiom keys (i've read that akai keys are better than novation keys and that's why i'm not considering a novation keyboard).
Old 30th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
do you feel weird writing music in coffee shops?

personally, I've gotta be zoned in the studio with no distractions...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_KPX ➑️
do you feel weird writing music in coffee shops?

personally, I've gotta be zoned in the studio with no distractions...
actually i haven't yet because my friends wanted to get on pro tools 9 and play around with my midi keyboard when i was in the coffee shop. a lot of times we will be in the coffee shop for 3-4 hours talking (actually i mostly listen and jump in the conversation every now and then) and i was like "i can use this time to get in my zone and make some beats". it's easy for me to zone out...

and i took it to church to try and draw out all the undercover keyboardists, pianists and producers because my church has beaucoup (a lot) guitarists and i was feeling a little jealous with everybody bringing their guitars and jamming out on their guitars after church.

but the huge bonus to having it is that i can go to my friend's apt with it, make beats on laptop while he makes beats on his macbook, mbox 2 pro, mpc500 and axiom 25 (he wants a mpk49 and mpk mini now, lol). and i'm tempted to bring along my mbox 3 pro, but that would really be to show off as pro tools 9 now doesn't require that i connect my mbox to use (and i find and buy a korean electrical power converter to use it or find the mbox retailer here and see if he can sell me just the korean version of the a/c adapter).
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i do hear complains about Edirol stuffs. coming from roland, I'm not really surprised. M-audio pro lines are way overpriced, and the budget lines have terrible quality and still overpriced. akai ? never tried it, but $400 and mixed reviews? difficult choice

get yourself a Yamaha KX61. quality you can trust. not enough knobs? add a korg nanokontrol.

because most new controllers out there are crap
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
If you care enough to ask about build quality and key action, then no current-production controller is acceptable. Almost all are of toy quality at best. While it's not impossible to make great music with toys, it's sad to see so many people try.

The Remote SL 61 has decent action and is sturdier than the rest. In the end, though, it's still plastic and will flex under pressure. The sliders/knobs also fail to inspire confidence.

An acceptable controller should be made of metal. Its keys should feel as good as a Virus. And it should look dangerous.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by J# Minor ➑️
If you care enough to ask about build quality and key action, then no current-production controller is acceptable. Almost all are of toy quality at best. While it's not impossible to make great music with toys, it's sad to see so many people try.

The Remote SL 61 has decent action and is sturdier than the rest. In the end, though, it's still plastic and will flex under pressure. The sliders/knobs also fail to inspire confidence.

An acceptable controller should be made of metal. Its keys should feel as good as a Virus. And it should look dangerous.
depends on the person. i have a friend who only buys cheap midi controllers because he makes the best music with it. he said he's own expensive midi controllers with good keyboards but he didn't make good music with them. so he went back to the cheap m-audio keyboard.

basically, buy what you like because i hated the m-audio axiom keyboard so much that i only played it about 5-10 times (and i had it for 2-3 years before i sold it).

so OP you should be able to go to a store and try out mpk61 and axiom 61 to see which one you like; unless you live in a small city with no sam ash, guitar center store, ect. i saw them both at the sam ash in the city i was living in in texas, but i never saw a a-800pro (i can't remember if they carried a novation or not). i used to go there just to play around with the triton, fantom and motifs years ago to see if i like synth-type keys of their 61 and 76 keyboards or hammer action keys of their 88 keyboards; and i prefered the 88 keys all the time (but then again, i did take a piano class in college that had digital pianos). and that's why i bought an axiom because it had hammer action keys (but i ordered it online without trying it out in the store first. this was before the akai mpk25 came out. i was about to buy an oxygen and all the sudden the axiom's were released).
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Just tried the Novation Nocturn today at Sam Ash and it's feels pretty nice, but unfourtunately the keys are not full size (like the Edirolands).

The new version of the Axiom (non pro) feels better than my old one in that it feels a little tighter somehow. They still suffer from a bad slap back issue. If you release the key really quickly, it will bounce up and down and retrigger the note.

The whole debate between the Akai versus M-audio thing may be a matter of taste, however I think it's more a difference of playing style. I'm pretty sure that most who play solos/lines or anything technical would agree that the Akai action is unusably stiff. Chord pounders or simple melodic players might love them though. The Axiom is definitely playable and has a decent feel that doesn't get in the way too much. It's one of the better controllers in that price range. Also, to be clear I'm talking about the Axiom line only. The Oxygen is totally different and far inferior.

It's definitely a personal thing regardless, so you'd definitely have to try them to get what you really want.

🎧 10 years
The sl mk II has 2 midi outs. I find that useful, and I like the key action.

If I could find a way to get rid of the knobs and sliders I'd be really happy with the keyboard by itself.
Old 16th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I am looking to buy a new keyboard. Two years ago I owned an Axiom 49 (old version) but I sold it before moving to China. I am now looking to buy a keyboard again, and I am considering the new Axiom 61 mk2. However, my previous Axiom 49 had the following issues
  1. The infamous sticky keys problem
  2. Rotary encoders unusable because a) they were notched and b) their acceleration curves (all of them) sucked.
  3. The drum pads were unusable, often triggering double notes or missing notes.
So I'd be very interested to hear your opinions about the new Axiom mk2 keyboards.
Old 16th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just joining into the thread, cos I am interested in the new Axiom Advanced as well. My local shops still have the old ones! :/
I find it very hard if not impossible to find a controller keyboard with really good keys.
Novation and Edirol/cakewalk are decent, but I don't like the feel of the latter actually.
I owned an Akai MPK 49 for some time but had to sell it because the stiff, hard keys were just terrible to play on. What a shame for this really beautiful piece of gear.

So anyone with the Axiom Advanced (not Pro!) who can tell more?
Old 24th September 2011

🎧 10 years
This is a helpful thread, I'm re-awakening it to address two factors with choosing controllers.

First, as was mentioned briefly, many controllers have issues between black and white note velocity sensing. This has to do with the mechanics and geometry of the shorter keys vs the longer keys. It is easier to get a higher velocity striking closer to the pivot point of the key. I don't know how manufacturers compensate for this (if at all?) The usually put stiffer springs on the black notes, some might also compensate in firmware between the transmitted velocities of black vs. white notes. In any case, it's a good thing to test when test-driving a controller.

Another thing is that MANY controllers don't produce all 127 velocity steps (0-velocity is reserved for note-off, so it's not 128). Even controllers that boast about "quality" "expressive" "precision" keys are just saying that. It's meaningless.

Though I suspect that the VAX77 marketing hype about their velocity sensing is probably for real. The Doepfer also boasts "...the velocity resolution is 127 steps" so that rig probably does what it says.

I've tested several keyboards and was quite surprised to find out that they only produced 40-50 out of the 127. Unfortunately, I haven't tested the keyboards mentioned in this thread.
Old 11th January 2012 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
I recently bought a MPK49 because of so many positive reactions online, but I wish I had looked a little further in to it.

If you plan on buying an MPK and you use Logic, then please reconsider. This is why:

There is a half assed solution to make it work with Logic, which essentially makes my MPK49 dependent of Logic instead of the other way around.

This means that you can use the arpeggiator only when you hit play first.
Note repeat isn't linked with the playhead position.
Tap tempo stops working.
You still need to map almost all the knobs and faders yourself

I personally think the keys are too heavy too (they're not weighted, they use heavy springs), but that's just personal preference I think. Some may say that all the others feel light and cheap

I'm gonna look at Novations Impulse 61. You get more (61 keys) for the same price and they seem to have created better software solutions (like Automap)
Old 11th January 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Am I the only one who hasn't experienced problems with a M-Audio midi controller? I have a first generation Axiom 49 that I have had for a little over 4 years and never had any problems with it.

Also this is an old thread. How come no one reads the date that the thread was posted?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai ➑️
Also this is an old thread. How come no one reads the date that the thread was posted?
Because people still talk about it, who cares if it's old if the products are still there for people to buy?

🎧 10 years
Well other than the Novation there is nothing really in the same league as the Akai. The edirol is so light and plastic feeling, it really is not a keyboard player's keyboard in any way... I'm certain you would break keys off in a high adrenaline live situationj it feels so flimsy. Akai is rock solid, chunky buttons and faders, brilliant keyboard action (IMO better than Novation which is the only one even close) and it looks good. Also has better pitch and mod wheels than any other kyeboard out there.

The only niggle to be had about the Akai is that the keyboard split feature won't allow free control over what midi channel is being sent through the right hand (top half of the keyboard). You do have control over the midi channel but it's a global setting, so unlike the left hand where you can just spin the data wheel to control a different synth or patch you have to go into global edit mode to change the top side of the split which means it's not something you'll want to be doing live.
Old 11th January 2012

🎧 10 years
I strongly suggest you remove the Axiom from that list. The quality is absolute crap. I've had two Axiom 61's that went defect within a year. Broken USB ports on both. They just stopped working. Even the one I had stationary in my studio. The USB port stopped working on my friend's Axiom 25 recently as well. After 9 months... Shame on you, M-Audio.

Edit: Those were the original Axiom's, not the new "Pro" versions btw
Old 12th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Legacy ➑️
I strongly suggest you remove the Axiom from that list. The quality is absolute crap. I've had two Axiom 61's that went defect within a year. Broken USB ports on both. They just stopped working. Even the one I had stationary in my studio. The USB port stopped working on my friend's Axiom 25 recently as well. After 9 months... Shame on you, M-Audio.

Edit: Those were the original Axiom's, not the new "Pro" versions btw
They should have been covered under the manufacturer's warranty. Anyway, I have nothing bad to say about my original Axiom 49. I've had mine for over 4 years and not once has anything failed. And even if my usb port goes bad, I can just power it using an adapter and connect it to my pc using standard midi.
Old 8th June 2012 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
yeah, i had the first generation of the edirol pcr keyboards (the pcr 80) and two keys stopped working rather fast. also, certain software wouldn't work with it. i got it though (and i suspect that depeche mode may have used them for the same reason) because it's the roland horizontal pitch wheel which just makes wayyyyyyy more sense to me (none of this up and down bs).

i later got an edirol pcr-800 and it was wayyyyyy more sturdy. i even played a show once where i threw it off the stage and it still works to this day. the knobs and sliders all fall off pretty easily though.

anyways, i'm in the same boat now. i need a midi controller for a tour at the moment and i don't have too much cash. it's between the new alesis qx61 and the 3rd gen m-audio oxygen 61. i'm leaning to the alesis but the program change function looks a frustrating (i usually have to change patches mid song). the m-audio has dedicated buttons for that which might be good. anyone have any experience with the alesis qx series (also, i typically like alesis gear better than m-audio to be honest, and it's also cheaper)
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cool thread. Just pulled the trigger on a Roland A300-Pro after retiring my old PCR-50. Can't wait to get it hooked up!
Old 5th February 2013

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior ➑️
Cool thread. Just pulled the trigger on a Roland A300-Pro after retiring my old PCR-50. Can't wait to get it hooked up!
Great little controller but aftertouch requires a lot of pressure!

Sent from my U20i
Old 9th March 2013 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
I Just ordered the A-300. I chose this over the Novation and Akai because it looks a lot classier to me. This may be a shallow reason but the other two aforementioned units look like toys to me. Well the Novation does anyway! I can not give Akai my cash for something with shitty pads. Having used an MPC 3000 I think I would be sorely disappointed in that area. I thought about the Akai Max as well but decided to pass on it due to a feature set that I do not find appealing. I have high hopes for the Roland A-300 pro!
Old 10th March 2013

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
does anyone here with Axiom 61 1st generation know how to get my Midi BPM from my Kenton Midi Thru device (master is MPC 5000) to go from the Midi In of Axiom to Midi Out of Axiom into the Midi In of Virus TI Snow so i can beat sync the Arp, Delay, etc.?

this is standalone... not via USB. this should be so simple, but it's just not happening. i've even checked with MPC monitor... midi clock is going to all my other devices, and it's definitely coming out of the Kenton, but the Axiom won't pass it to the Virus. no midi clock is coming out of the Midi Out... only note data. total bummer. i've asked this before, but no one has been able to assist. thanks!
Old 10th March 2013 | Show parent

🎧 20 years
Has anyone with the Akai use ProTools? Just wondering if it is easy to map parameters to the knobs using the avid synths.
Old 10th March 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 60622ed
I liked the edirol PCR over the axiom v1... but when i went shopping for a 61 i settled with the axiom v2, didnt like the mpk as much, felt too stiff

For a small set up i use arturias 32 key factory...kinda springy and narrw but good build quality
Old 1st December 2013

🎧 10 years
My 2cents: +1 to the Roland. Just bought a a-300pro to control my Moog Minitaur and it is awesome. It has everything you want in a midi controller and the 37 keys are great for bass playing. The aftertouch does require a ton of pressure which is so far the only drawback I've found in this board. Keys feel like normal roland synth keys with nice smooth edges. It didn't take long to setup a midi map to control all the "under the hood" elements of my minitaur and I'm planning to set up the controls to work in Reaper next. Plus it just looks like it's got balls!
πŸ“ Reply