Quantcast
Cleaning ARP 2600 Sliders - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cleaning ARP 2600 Sliders
Old 23rd March 2010
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Cleaning ARP 2600 Sliders

Which is the best product to clean some ARP 2600 Sliders?
What about Deoxit Fader Lube 5%?
Thanks!
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Give the whole thing a bath.

Old 23rd March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
a little bit harder to do with the 2600 (that photo is an Odyssey)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You want to see crazy? When I first saw that I was like wtf

Faderlube works great for carbon sliders btw. Unless the tracks are really dirty; manual cleaning may be required. Can't see why not.

Old 23rd March 2010
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Here are a couple of choices that you have.
If they are very dirty, fader lube does nothing in the long run. You actually need to flush them out and get all the 30+ year old dirt & grime out. Then use luberex to lubricate them. trick is you need a syringe to get the luberex inside the sliders. If you chose to wash them spray them with Simple green, let them set for 1 min then rinse them with hot to warm water, then immediately use a compressor with 100psi to blow out all the water. After that put them in front of a fan and let them dry for a few hours.

The washing method really works.heh

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy ➑️
a little bit harder to do with the 2600 (that photo is an Odyssey)
I think the 2600 is devided into 3 pcb's.
So it aint impossible to do.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The only way to do it properly is to take each slider apart and manually clean the gunk out, then re-lube. I just did a 2600 recently.

I definitely wouldn't recommend bathing the Arp 2600 in water.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I rather use water instead of lub.
Lub atracts dirt and the water will vaporate off the slider with a blower/heather.
IMHO the best option to do instead off all those cleaning products.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Water wont clean the faders out, ever tried to clean thick grease off with just water? Further to that its deep inside the fader. It would be almost impossible to remove that way.

Dismantle the fader, wipe the old grease off, thoroughly clean the slider track, clean the metal contacts by hand, bend them out a bit more to get them springy again and so they press firmly on the track when you re-assemble.

Use a tiny bit of grease on the plastic slider part, and a touch of fader lube on the track. Then you will be back up to factory spec.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mono-poly ➑️
I think the 2600 is devided into 3 pcb's.
So it aint impossible to do.
Depends if the modules on back are potted or not, etc. I am not sure I would recommend immersion and washing to any random person on the net, especially if it involves a multi-thousand dollar synth.

Imagine someone thinking they can quickly clean up a 2600 by dunking the board in the tub and washing it out. So how long do you let it soak? How much detergent and what type? How do you rinse it - regular tap water or distilled water? Now what about drying? How long, how hot? Hair dryer OK or should I buy a dehydrator? Now that it's all clean and dry, what lubricant do I put in the faders and switches and how much?

Not saying the high-level idea is wrong, just saying there's a lot more there.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station ➑️
Water wont clean the faders out, ever tried to clean thick grease off with just water? Further to that its deep inside the fader. It would be almost impossible to remove that way.

Dismantle the fader, wipe the old grease off, thoroughly clean the slider track, clean the metal contacts by hand, bend them out a bit more to get them springy again and so they press firmly on the track when you re-assemble.

Use a tiny bit of grease on the plastic slider part, and a touch of fader lube on the track. Then you will be back up to factory spec.

Simple Green is a de-greaser it desolves grease specially with hot water. I have tried and it works
As far as Fader lube it's nothing but snake oil, it's only a temporary fix and the sliders will return to it's old state. you must use something like Luberex; I've tried it and it works.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBEQ ➑️
Simple Green is a de-greaser it desolves grease specially with hot water. I have tried and it works
As far as Fader lube it's nothing but snake oil, it's only a temporary fix and the sliders will return to it's old state. you must use something like Luberex; I've tried it and it works.
Sure, it does dissolve grease but nothing cleans out the fader in their entirety apart from dismantling and doing it by hand. Degreasers are extremely bad for rubber and plastics so again I don't recommend it.

Fader lube to me is a generic term for any kind of switch cleaning lubricant, you should use a grease on the plastic parts as per factory specification, and then switch cleaning lubricant on the track. It will last many years. I've used Servisol Switch lubricant for 25 years or so. It definitely works. I've not tried snake oil, but it might be a good lubricant.

To be clear I am not against using hot water on PCB's in fact when I repair some PCB's, especially filthy monitor chassis' from arcade machines and TV's(which attract inch thick dust from static), I put them straight in the dishwasher. I just wouldnt recommend it for synth PCB's covered in faders, switches and, jack sockets and potted modules like the ARP though.
Old 24th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station ➑️
The only way to do it properly is to take each slider apart and manually clean the gunk out, then re-lube. I just did a 2600 recently.

I definitely wouldn't recommend bathing the Arp 2600 in water.
I agree, I remove and dismantle the sliders from ARP's, clean them properly, lubricate and re-assemble them. Bit of a job though.

If you have ever opened one up and seen how much verdigris gets on the metal contacts you will see how squirting some contact spray in there is pretty futile.
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For those interested I have replacement ARP 2600 sliders available.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...ider-kits.html
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ive heard of people having very good results with bathing certain synths in water. ive also heard of people using simple green with good results. however, it would be nice if people who mention techniques theyve used would also state how many times theyve done said technique, to what instrument/s, and how long its been since theyve done it, as well as offering up a little more info about their experience.
mini
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I like to use Puretronics Extra-Strength Contact Cleaner Stock No. 3600, it works great and ive never had a problem with it, but whatever you do !!!DO NOT DIP THE BOARDS IN WATER!!!

N
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The sliders on my Odyssey were in terrible shape when I bought it a year ago. I did the Simple Green water bath (per Kevin Lightner's video) followed by FaderGrease injected with a small syringe into each slider. Most of the sliders are now silky and smooth. But I did run into a couple of problems.

After the bath my Odyssey developed wierd pitch instability problems. It turns out that capacitor C8 (the large paper wound one) got damaged in the bath and was causing the problem. The filter cutoff slider was still a little scratchy after the cleaning and lubing, so I had my synth tech disassemble and clean it.
Old 27th November 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
While we're here. What's the best product for cleaning my rolls royce engine and whats the best paint for a private jet?
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
While we're here. What's the best product for cleaning my rolls royce engine and whats the best paint for a private jet?
the answer is:
1. ex-lax and B. private jet paint.
Old 16th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamero ➑️
For those interested I have replacement ARP 2600 sliders available.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...ider-kits.html
ARP 2600 Slider Kits. Only two weeks before order collection closes.
πŸ“ Reply