The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Todd Terry - Studio?
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Todd Terry - Studio?

Does anybody know anything about his Studio? I can't seem to find any info on the net.
Old 29th December 2009
I know one thing for sure... he's a HUGE emu sp1200 user. you can hear it in almost every one of his tracks. BIG UP to Todd Terry.. one of the all time greatest House producers.
Old 29th December 2009 | Show parent
from an old DJ Times interview...

DJ Times: What have you got in the studios equipment-wise?

Terry: Mackie boards, G3 computer with updated Logic, tons of tube techs. I’m still using an SP1200 drum machine. I have the S2000 drum machine as well, two sets of two Atari 24-track tape machines, turntables and mixers always in the same room. I use seven DAT machines. I compress to each track coming from the tape machines with dbx 1046s so that’s interesting because it makes it like it’s SSL, but the cheap way out. What I use all the time is the 1200 drum machine, a lot of the keyboards and programming are through the 2000 – really simple. The JB2080 has all my sounds in it and I got seven cards in there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfalk ➡️

Terry: Mackie boards, G3 computer with updated Logic, tons of tube techs. I’m still using an SP1200 drum machine. I have the S2000 drum machine as well, two sets of two Atari 24-track tape machines, turntables and mixers always in the same room. I use seven DAT machines. I compress to each track coming from the tape machines with dbx 1046s so that’s interesting because it makes it like it’s SSL, but the cheap way out. What I use all the time is the 1200 drum machine, a lot of the keyboards and programming are through the 2000 – really simple. The JB2080 has all my sounds in it and I got seven cards in there.
Damn, if only I had a JB2080 and some Atari tape machines!
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I get by with my little sweetie JB1080 and have a solid, sexy Stud A807 at my disposal too... so smooth
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
are we meaning JV-2080? never heard of a JB2080
Old 30th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfalk ➡️

Thanks for that one!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➡️
heh

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
it's always a good idea to have 7 DAT machines.
i mean, come on 6 is just not enough! what if they all fail?!

on the other hand what do you hope to achieve with 8 that you can't do with 7?

yep 7 is the magic number alright.
that's why i have 7 sub woofers in my studio. and 7 identical copies of Cubase installed on my PC.

oh and 7 cards in my JB2080, that goes without saying
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Lo-fi samplers + classic disco records + hearing damage in the upper mids = Todd Terry mix.
Old 31st July 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
lol.. u mean JV2080.. and Otari tape machines
Old 1st August 2016 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantB ➡️
Lo-fi samplers + classic disco records + hearing damage in the upper mids = Todd Terry mix.
I'm not a fan of his stuff either.... although that Missing Remix was (and still is) pretty bang on!
Old 1st August 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 2nd August 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
^sadly, that might not even be the worst cover of The Mexican

I like Todd's freestyle shiz:
Old 2nd August 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova777 ➡️
lol.. u mean JV2080.. and Otari tape machines
You go tell him, sir!

... Seven years after the fact.

Weekend is a great track.
Old 2nd August 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Isn't the JB2080 where all the hip hop guys got the James Brown samples from ?

Todd Terry used it in this
Old 3rd August 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake ➡️
Weekend is a great track.
His is pretty limp compared to this one IMO
Lives for gear

31 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ha! Got the joke . JV and Otari for those not reading the sarcasm
Old 3rd August 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I knew he was going to have sweet analog equipment
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantB ➡️
His is pretty limp compared to this one IMO
Pointless trying to compare and criticize.Todd (the god)Terry was making bonafide classics in the late 80s.......Hes a legend up there with Larry Heard,Marshal Jefferson,Fast Eddie ectectect.He put his 'Original spin' on old tracks and rocked the party.What you done ?
Old 3rd August 2016

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
< moderator message - guys please focus on the gear and production? arguing about taste is pointless >
Old 4th August 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➡️
< moderator message - guys please focus on the gear and production? arguing about taste is pointless >
Yeah you're right. There are always going to be some who like the Tiffany version and some who stand by the Tommy James and the Shondells version. This thread is about the Roland JBs and the Ataris.
Old 5th May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch ➡️
Isn't the JB2080 where all the hip hop guys got the James Brown samples from ?

Todd Terry used it in this

Sorry I'm bumping an old thread, but although he was using the Emu SP1200, I wonder if he was using stock sounds or just samples, his drums sound so unique and I cannot even say where he got them from, his beats always stand out like they are hallmarked! like in this track? You know a Todd beat when you hear it...Is that a pitched 808 snare?
Old 6th May 2018 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer ➡️
Sorry I'm bumping an old thread, but although he was using the Emu SP1200, I wonder if he was using stock sounds or just samples, his drums sound so unique and I cannot even say where he got them from, his beats always stand out like they are hallmarked! like in this track? You know a Todd beat when you hear it...Is that a pitched 808 snare?
Definitely samples. He and Kenny Dope (Masters at Work) both worked the hell out of their SP1200's.

I recall an early 90's DJ mag with Todd on the front cover and a quote "I invented every kick drum in house music"
Old 6th May 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
the main contributing factor

SP1200

and the 2nd biggest factor in his sound

his generation of musicians were not lazy , he spent time digging the crates sampling as you would with the best sampler ever invented.

this guy was in record stores investing in his craft to get his signature sound lazy dudes nowadays think they can get that sp sound from some samplepacks, a sp1200 is a sampler what goes in is sprinkled with magic then it comes out with might , crunch, fizz, and dollops of heavy wieght mike tyson punches.

something you cannot do in a bespoke way when playing back someone elses samples.

simple answer
sp1200 + choice of sampled material and technique
Old 6th May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I consider Todd a friend. Once while I was in a keyboard session at Axis (François Kevorkian's studio which was located in the old Studio 54 building) I saw Todd go into the small room there armed only with his SP-1200 and a Juno-106. He emerged a couple hours later with an entire EP. This is how he often worked. The guy is one of the most prolific producers I know and an absolute master at getting the most out of the SP-1200's 10-second sample time.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpc3kle ➡️
the main contributing factor

SP1200

and the 2nd biggest factor in his sound

his generation of musicians were not lazy , he spent time digging the crates sampling as you would with the best sampler ever invented.

this guy was in record stores investing in his craft to get his signature sound lazy dudes nowadays think they can get that sp sound from some samplepacks, a sp1200 is a sampler what goes in is sprinkled with magic then it comes out with might , crunch, fizz, and dollops of heavy wieght mike tyson punches.

something you cannot do in a bespoke way when playing back someone elses samples.

simple answer
sp1200 + choice of sampled material and technique
I'm interested in the source though, I have spotted, own the original tracks of most of his famous musical and vocal samples like dinosaur l go bang etc, but for the life of me wouldn't be able to guess his drum sources.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer ➡️
but for the life of me wouldn't be able to guess his drum sources.
maybe this place will help a little bit: Todd Terry | WhoSampled
📝 Reply