The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
would you Trade an Andromeda for a Korg Oasys?
Old 9th December 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
would you Trade an Andromeda for a Korg Oasys?

well.... I was offered a fully expanded Korg Oasys in trade for My Andromeda..
I dont use the Andromeda as much since I got hooked with Access Virus and plug ins....I produce Dance electronic music. with Logic pro....so would this trade make sense or should I keep the Andy?
ps: I havent played with Oasys to see what it offers.
Old 9th December 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You got to be kidding us.

Shouldn't Oasis be much more expensive than Andromeda? No matter how old boards are?

I say, trade an Andromeda for an Oasis 'cause of it's value, if not else. Than you can consider your further step. You should be able to sell an used Oasis and buy a new Andromeda any time, imo.
Old 9th December 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm pretty sure the market value for a fully expanded Oasys is higher than for an Andromeda, so I think this would be a "safe" trade: if you didn't like the Oasys, you could sell it, buy another Andromeda, and have some $$ left over.

The Oasys really is an amazing synth. And for dance, you might find the Karma implementation positively mind-blowing...
Old 9th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I'd certainly do it...after working with the A6 for a while I was pretty lukewarm about it. I do have a bunch of analog polys already so that might have something to do with my lackluster feelings for the Andy.

The Oasys on the other hand is an absolute monster with its multiple diverse synth engines and intuitive touchscreen UI. I saved up, sold a ton of synths and got a 76 key Oasys a while back and have no regrets whatsoever. It gets used all the time in the studio. Lovely, lovely synth!

...I wouldn't want it to be my only synth though.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
My advise to you would be to keep onto your Andromeda A6. If your A6 works and is problem free, keep on to it.

The fact that someone is willing to trade an overpriced workstation for your Andy should tell you something right there .

With so many sounds packed into a workstation like that (but not even analog), is it really worth it to you? Are you going to get those cool spacey pad sounds and that deep analog bass from a Korg workstation / synth? Will you get a proper working A6 ever again?

FWIW, I got my Virus TI in 2007 and loved it so much, my first expensive VA. But it took no more than 2 months, and I missed using my A6 (which was switched off for that period). Somehow the bass end was quite flat with the Virus, and most of the pads end up sounding very similar. But I do love both my A6 and the Virus, for different things though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon111 ➑️
I'd certainly do it...after working with the A6 for a while I was pretty lukewarm about it. I do have a bunch of analog polys already so that might have something to do with my lackluster feelings for the Andy.

The Oasys on the other hand is an absolute monster with its multiple diverse synth engines and intuitive touchscreen UI. I saved up, sold a ton of synths and got a 76 key Oasys a while back and have no regrets whatsoever. It gets used all the time in the studio. Lovely, lovely synth!

...I wouldn't want it to be my only synth though.
My other synths are just a Virus Ti , Korg Radias and tons of VSTs..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing ➑️
My advise to you would be to keep onto your Andromeda A6. If your A6 works and is problem free, keep on to it.

The fact that someone is willing to trade an overpriced workstation for your Andy should tell you something right there .

With so many sounds packed into a workstation like that (but not even analog), is it really worth it to you? Are you going to get those A6 pads and that deep analog bass from a Korg workstation / synth? Will you get a proper working A6 ever again?
Those are good point...my Andy does work nice .... I havent used it much though...but love its sound when I do.... the Virus Ti and A6 do complement each other
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The oasis is more then a workstation....Even if you dont like it you could sell it and buy a new A6 and have some cash.Its imo a good deal if the oasis is atleast mint and you can see it and try it out.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebastian21 ➑️
Those are good point...my Andy does work nice .... I havent used it much though...but love its sound when I do.... the Virus Ti and A6 do complement each other
Yes they do indeed
Deleted b788fee
CARBON? Only synth ... ??? I doubt we'll see the day ... Nor would I particularly want to ...

Trade seems a little odd ... Why doesn't O(wner) sell it and buy Andy ... ??? Is it only about convenience ... ???
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro ➑️
CARBON? Only synth ... ??? I doubt we'll see the day ... Nor would I particularly want to ...
heh

Well, yeah. Recently I had to buy some extra tiers for my Standtastics...Rusty Insects is looking real pretty now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd keep the Andromeda. If you are thinking in terms of long term value, the Andromeda will shoot up in price on the used market as soon as they are discontinued and are no longer available as new purchases, all the while the OASYS will continue its steady decline in price.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild ➑️
I'd keep the Andromeda. If you are thinking in terms of long term value, the Andromeda will shoot up in price on the used market as soon as they are discontinued and are no longer available as new purchases, all the while the OASYS will continue its steady decline in price.
For what they're going for now, they're an absolute steal. I'd give my eye teeth for just the Oasys' MOD-7 engine alone! Stack on all the other Synth Engines it has - and it's incredible.

Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
At price of 2500$ (for new A6) IMO Oasys is extremelly good deal.
All criticism went to this synth at its initial 8 k price level, but 2,5 can't buy better keyboard anywhere.
If it's not joke take Oasys.
Lives for gear

Quote:
My other synths are just a Virus Ti , Korg Radias and tons of VSTs..
at least keep your only analog synth
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Something doesn't seem right about the deal, but if it's legit, I'd find a buyer first for the Oasys, pre-order another A6, do the deal, sell the Oasys, get the Andromeda, and use the leftover money to get something else.

Na - too much trouble. I'd just keep the A6.

BUT - you're not me, so do what you've gotta' do.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oasys all the way. A lot of possibilities and the trade is in your favor. I believe that you can always get another A6 in the future if you save up, but the OASYS offers a lot of sonic possibilities for the money, as in trade the Andromeda doesn't command nearly what an OASYS will right now. If tyou regret it, pick up one used in the future. From a purely business end of it the OASYS is a no-brainer.
Old 10th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
silly discussion - they are going to sound completely different, and very different interfaces, etc. Which you'd like better will be very subjective....I don't like the sound of Korg synths, so I undoubtedly would be impressed with the Oasys for a few days, and then I'd sell it. Whereas, I generally like analog sound - the Andromeda isn't one of my favorites, but I'd rather have it around than the Oasys.

On the other hand - I'd research what the current going rate of the Oasys is, get it and try it out. If you're not thrilled, sell it and get an Andromeda + other stuff.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
With the Oasys, you're essentially getting a bunch of high quality softsynths in a keyboard.
So, does the keyboard have some outstanding features? Does it have polyphonic aftertouch? How about release velocity?
It seems to have a fair amount of knobs and sliders, but even boards that only cost a couple hundred have those nowadays.
Would you be better off getting some other keyboard that meets your needs and going the computer/softsynth route?

Contrast what you have with what you'd be getting, and what you'd be losing, and what your other options might be.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxpod ➑️
The oasis is more then a workstation....

Agreed. The Oasys is not a workstation, it is an entire studio in its own right with a touchscreen and a phenomenal interface. No question about it, I would swap the Andy for the Oasys in a heartbeat.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxpod ➑️
....Even if you dont like it you could sell it and buy a new A6 and have some cash...
So the question is:why the person offering the OASYS would not to do this himself? doesn't he like the extra cash?!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Of course I would NOT trade my A6 for an OASYS.tutt
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness ➑️
Of course I would NOT trade my A6 for an OASYS.tutt
You could buy 2 A6s with the money you'd get by selling the OASYS.

Do your principles get in the way of your arithmetic?

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Here's actual photo of the seller:

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️

No, I am just honest.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
Here's actual photo of the seller:

I don't get it.. who is the picture of? From Caddyshack?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another thing to consider is the steady progress of digital technology. Even if right now you feel that the OASYS provides you with sound generation capabilities which cannot be reproduced by a collection of digital hardware and/or software synths, this will most likely not be the case in the future.

The Andromeda, on the other hand, will unlikely be superseded by any other analog poly synth for quite some time to come, especially for its current given price. Compared to digital computing, there is very little innovation happening in the field analog electronics. It's not as if some company will release a synth that is "more analog" than the Andromeda. It already has a 100% analog signal path.

I remember a while back, on Sonicstate's GAS Station, where some guy happily traded his Andromeda for a Virus KB because, to him, the Virus represented all of the latest digital bells and whistles. No one in their right mind would do that trade today, just as no one in their right mind would trade their MemoryMoog for a Yamaha DX7 today, which sure wasn't the case back in the 1980's. In a few years, with the steady march of digital technology, trading your Andromeda for an OASYS will seem just as silly of a trade as those previous examples. The guy trying to get your Andromeda probably understands this, hence why he is giving you the offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️

Are you sure about that? There was recently an 88 key OASYS on ebay in the USA for $3,200 that no one even bothered to bid on. It has since been relisted for $2,800. No bids so far on that either.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild ➑️
Another thing to consider is the steady progress of digital technology. Even if right now you feel that the OASYS provides you with sound generation capabilities which cannot be reproduced by a collection of digital hardware and/or software synths, this will most likely not be the case in the future.

The Andromeda, on the other hand, will unlikely be superseded by any other analog poly synth for quite some time to come, especially for its current given price. Compared to digital computing, there is very little innovation happening in the field analog electronics. It's not as if some company will release a synth that is "more analog" than the Andromeda. It already has a 100% analog signal path.

I remember a while back, on Sonicstate's GAS Station, where some guy happily traded his Andromeda for a Virus KB because, to him, the Virus represented all of the latest digital bells and whistles. No one in their right mind would do that trade today, just as no one in their right mind would trade their MemoryMoog for a Yamaha DX7 today, which sure wasn't the case back in the 1980's. In a few years, with the steady march of digital technology, trading your Andromeda for an OASYS will seem just as silly of a trade as those previous examples. The guy trying to get your Andromeda probably understands this, hence why he is giving you the offer.

Are you sure about that? There was recently an 88 key OASYS on ebay in the USA for $3,200 that no one even bothered to bid on. It has since been relisted for $2,800. No bids so far on that either.
Very good points, I thought about this... the Andy for sure is a true modern classic....I have seen the resale price of the Oasys on ebay and it seems kinda difficult to find buyers for it.
Im actually abandoning the idea of the Oasys thanks to this thread

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DntBelievtheHype ➑️
I don't get it.. who is the picture of? From Caddyshack?
I believe Flat Earth might tell you more details.
Old 10th December 2009

🎧 10 years
Quote:
well.... I was offered a fully expanded Korg Oasys in trade for My Andromeda..
I dont use the Andromeda as much since I got hooked with Access Virus and plug ins....I produce Dance electronic music. with Logic pro....so would this trade make sense or should I keep the Andy?
ps: I havent played with Oasys to see what it offers.
I would trade my Andromeda for OASYS. And after a month or two I would buy a new Andromeda. So in the end I would own both!!!

OASYS is a monster synth, but so is Andromeda. What I love on my Andromeda is the 72 knobs!!! it a heaven to tweak and surely beat the biggest touch screen and it sounds great . But I would not say no to an OASYS either.

So I would say yes sell your andromeda.

Even though I find it strange that you like more virus ti or soft plugs, both lack the high quality of Andromeda. Only pure analogs can approach the silk cut sound of andy.

Andromeda is like a stallion, very hard to tame, but once you do it delivers raw unprecedented power to its rider. Something is telling that my great grandchildren will play my andromeda.... this synth is a Great Library of Alexandria for sound synthesis, it can teach so much...
πŸ“ Reply