The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg X50
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Korg X50

Hi all,

I'm getting into producing "electronic" music, i'm trying to make D&B, Dubstep and some hard beats.
My girlfriend bought a Korg X50 some years ago, not really aware of what it was, she is basically a classical pianist and wanted a light weighted keyboard.

So my question is:
can i do synthesis with this keyboard. Can i create my own sounds, shape them, or shape the presets sounds to get them to the kind of music i'm trying to do?
Is this keyboard fitting with D&B and hard soundings music styles in general?
Is there LFO, Phaser etc...?
i ask those questions because i tried to read the manual but i'm not born english speaking and the notions seen in this manual are quite complicated. So if you can tell me if it worth taking time to understand it...it would be nice.

I'm new to this forum and i saw that there is a bunch of synth Nerdz by here. So guys, i'm counting on you.

Thanks!
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busdriver ➡️
So my question is:
can i do synthesis with this keyboard. Can i create my own sounds, shape them, or shape the presets sounds to get them to the kind of music i'm trying to do?
Yes and no.

Yes: The Micro-X - which has much of the same sound set, just a different bunch of presets, more oriented towards dance - has several wobble-like bass sounds in there.

Both synths have editor software on the included CD-rom; hook your X50 up via USB, install it and you can edit in a more comfortable way than using the buttons and the screen.

No: because even with editing options I think a decent (virtual) analog will be more flexible and tweakable.

Quote:
Yes on both counts.
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busdriver ➡️
Hi all,

I'm getting into producing "electronic" music, i'm trying to make D&B, Dubstep and some hard beats.
My girlfriend bought a Korg X50 some years ago, not really aware of what it was, she is basically a classical pianist and wanted a light weighted keyboard.

So my question is:
Is this keyboard fitting with D&B and hard soundings music styles in general?
i ask those questions because i tried to read the manual but i'm not born english speaking and the notions seen in this manual are quite complicated. So if you can tell me if it worth taking time to understand it...it would be nice.

I'm new to this forum and i saw that there is a bunch of synth Nerdz by here. So guys, i'm counting on you.

Thanks!
Have you looked on Korg's website? It answers questions like creating sounds, shaping them, features, etc.

Music Synthesizer | Synth | Korg X50

In terms of what it can do genre-wise, I'd check out some of the demos on YouTube.
Old 1st December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Many thanks mates,

i'll give a try at your ideas but i already checked youtube and except buddies playing terminator theme, there is not many things about the X50.
Thanks again
Old 1st December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but did you check all of these out?

YouTube - korg x50
📝 Reply