Oberheim SEM - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oberheim SEM
Old 19th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mono-poly ➡️
VCO1 + VCO2 are routed into the filter and the vca comes afterward.
If you patch the outputcable into the vcf output you don't need to open the vca.
Because it's actualy not being used.
techically it works, tho at least with original SEM, its old-style VCA is a big part of end result trademark sound. just like with minimoog. so i'd recommend using the switch on SEM which drones i.e. opens the VCA. that being said, dunno if new SEM even has the same switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveyDubs ➡️
has anybody here used the studio electronics atc 1 with the s.e.m filter. I have it and must say it sound really nice my favorite of all 4 but i never had a real s.e.m to compare it to. what do you guys think?
i used ATC-X w SEM i.e. "Ob" setting, next to my original SEM. filter sounds similar, and in some aspects behaves the same way, adds the silkiness allowing the upper harmonics a 24dB wouldnt let pass. it has beautiful smooth resonance, in its own right. but comparing to original its definitely not as big, brute, characterful, and can't be pushed over the edge like SEM can - which is one of the most powerful filters i've ever experienced.

studio electronics is like a smoother/softer version. of course comparison is little skewed since SE oscillators are absolutely no match for SEMs in organic <insert buzzword here>. no, really. no contest.

i would say more or less, all of this would apply when comparing minimoog's transistor ladder and studio electronics one.
Old 19th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➡️
way harsh IMO. The Matrix 6/1000 may not be ballsy and a lower level of quality from the OBs but its got some great tone in it - great pads with a lot of the Oberheim flavour...great value analogues for £2-300...

Hai. So desu ne!! Sugoi no video!! Daisuki!!

I agree: the Matrix 6/1000 may not be ballsy but they do have character and plenty of Oberheim flavor. I have two Matrix 1000's which I'll track alongside an OB-Xa. Together they can create wonderful tapestries of Oberheim sonic bliss! I will never part with them.
Old 20th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is this a really dumb comparison:

2 x Oberheim SEM-Pro vs Moog Voyager RME

They're about the same price point
📝 Reply