Quantcast
little phatty stage noise.. is this normal? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
little phatty stage noise.. is this normal?
Old 27th November 2009
little phatty stage noise.. is this normal?

well im tired of waiting for moog music to respond to my warranty claim or amos gaynes to reply to my messages so can someone please listen to this little clip and let me know if this is something i should be worried about?

here's what i sent to moog

"the noise is not very noticeable unless i turn both oscillators down all the way, but even then it's not very noticeable unless i crank the volume all the way and/or overload the filter. the noise will hold according to the volume envelope but cuttoff/resonance don't really affect it. the overload does make it worse though. also if i overload the filter and then press any button i get some weird digital static that only goes away if i move the overload again."
Attached Files

lp_1#6.mp3 (1.38 MB, 200 views)

Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi, this is Amos Gaynes. I worked for 14 hours straight yesterday writing firmware for the Taurus, and I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to answer your email as well. I'm laboring under enormous deadlines and it's very difficult.

You're saying that the noise is only a problem when the oscillators are all the way down, and the Overload and master volume are all the way up?
If so, then this is normal. What you are doing is amplifying the noise floor of the synth as much as humanly possible, and not adding any signal to this. You'll find the same thing happens with the Voyager, and probably with any analog synth that allows you to open the output VCA with no input signal present.

In short, this sounds totally normal to me, especially if you only really hear it with the Overload all the way up. That just means you're applying as much gain as possible to the filter, which deals with very tiny signals... if there's no signal from the oscillators then all you are hearing is any background noise that is present in the system, which is usually down about -60dB or better relative to the oscillator signals. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks,

Amos

PS) I don't mean to be at all rude, seriously. But I really am a tremendously busy guy and I have ADD as well, so if this happens again (you sending me an email and not getting a response), you'll have much better success just emailing me a second time, instead of calling me out on a public forum that I might or might not get a chance to read. Thanks, and I am standing by to help you in any way that I can. -A
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
well after i did the test i realized that it is actually more noticeable than i thought specially when listening with headphones

you can see at the end of the clip i posted that even with the overload all the way down you can still hear it if you pay attention, is that normal too?

and i wasn't calling you out! i just wanted to see what other users though of the problem..
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
fair enough. Any other Little Phatty users who can compare this noise to their own machines?
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i tried to replicate this with my SEII and it sounds pretty much the same with the oscs off, you really have to crank it to hear that. seems like normal op to me.
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
thanks a ton man! and you can hear it a bit when you have the filter down too right?
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…