the tr-808 sequencer (only) quest - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
the tr-808 sequencer (only) quest
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the tr-808 sequencer (only) quest

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a hardware tr-808 sequencer clone available (I don't need the sound part engine). Something very easy with X0X buttons that lights on and off, very straightforward with time signature, steps ...

of course some very sophisticated sequencers can do that as the Genoqs or P3 but it's too much for what I'm looking for...

rm1x ?
Korg electribe ?
roland grooveboxes ?
they seem to be all too much...

thanks for your feedbacks,
Isham
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
mc808
Old 25th November 2009

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by isham ➑️
Hello,

I was wondering if there was a hardware tr-808 sequencer clone available (I don't need the sound part engine). Something very easy with X0X buttons that lights on and off, very straightforward with time signature, steps ...

of course some very sophisticated sequencers can do that as the Genoqs or P3 but it's too much for what I'm looking for...

rm1x ?
Korg electribe ?
roland grooveboxes ?
they seem to be all too much...

thanks for your feedbacks,
Isham
no i don't think so but
man that is a good idea! someone should hook that interface idea up with a drum VSTi
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
the electribes are like this. they can do more, of course, but the basic step sequencing function is very similar.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
MAM SQ16

although a bit a hard to find :/

-Tomi
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
the electribes are closest and I don't think you'll find anything better for the price!
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years

vs

Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
A Roland TR-505 will spit out midi notes corresponding to each drum hit, but it doesn't have chase leds for each step, instead it displays everything on a lcd grid.. still though it is the cheapest option.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➑️
no i don't think so but
man that is a good idea! someone should hook that interface idea up with a drum VSTi
id buy one in a heartbeat
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi,

There is the MB-Seq DIY option.

I had thought there were some more things like the SQ16, though I've not bothered keeping track of these products. Are you just wanting it for percussion?

Can the old Roland rompler grooveboxes sequence external kit?

What are the RS-7000 or RM1X sequencers like? Are they too dissimilar to be considered? I think they are at least well liked by many users.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
the mc303 had limits but could. the mc505/909 i never used. the mc808 is very tight sequencer, and merges midi well, meaning you can hook up a knob box in the midi in and it will include it on the midi out w/out puking on volume. The electribes are all mono, a limiting factor in my book. the mc808 is a true 16 channel sequencer, with long patterns (forget what the limit is, like 99 measures vs tribes 8) and the ability to change the scale (not just 1/16 note). The 808 is a nice sequencer, if bumpy.

I think if roland had included another 16 note mute buttons below the 16 channels and an lcd across the faders, w/all functionality being in the groove box--and a realistic sample import routine ONE FILE AT A TIME --it would have been killer, even if the filter was pretty weak.
Lives for gear

something like this would be perfect

you gotta DIY though

Quote:
logic boards (2) $166
buttons and pcbs $146
faceplate $182
wood for enclosure (1/8" walnut cut to order) $35
machine screws and ribbon cable $10

grand total: $536 (+ countless hours of time)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Something like the MAM SQ16 is your best bet. But not very easy to find.

But, there's this:

Audio Damage :: Tattoo

It will spit out MIDI note numbers. The TR-505/626 are nice, but you can't get below a certain midi note #.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
terrific, a few hours of sleep and so many suggestions thanks to all !

I removed from this list :

- electribe as too limited (mono)
- tr-505 (no chaising leds)
- tatoo as it's soft ( it looks very sexy but want to avoid programming on screen)
- DYI monome look alike (I have two left hands as we say in French)

I keep an eye on :
- mc-808 (even it's a bit more than I need)
- MAM SQ16 --> exactly what I'm looking for are they some other equivalent solutions ?

yes I would like this hardware sequencer mainly/only for percussions, how come no one except MAM have ever thought about this kind of sequencer tr XOX style ?

Thank you all, I appreciate your feedbacks,
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Unfortunately I shelled out to get exactly what I wanted:

Still think there should a be a better and cheaper alternative. An x0x hardware controller for software wouldn't be that hard or expensive to make. I'm waiting because I know it should happen. Just looking to see which company does it first.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi,

I use this:

SEQ-01

And works great triggering synth or drum modules...

wolfgang
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Actually Yamaha RS7000 is a very nice X0X style seq, only thing that is that doesn't really look like / have the vide of TR-808.

I have RS7000 and have owned MAM SQ16, I can easily understand that the SQ16 has the vibe that you are looking for but I can assure you that RS7000 is easier to use and has much more options.

but still, if you can find a SQ16, go a head and buy one, I still regret selling mine since it was fun to use because of its simplicity and bareness. Although the MIDI "fx" were sometimes total brain**** to use :P

-Tomi
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There is a perfect clone:

MIDIbox 808

It can be set up with triggers identical to the 808 or midi (or both)
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The RM1x and RS-7000 have almost identical sequencers, right?

The Emu XL-7 might be worth a mention too, though I think its sequencer is more along the lines of an MC-202/303 (never used the Emu).
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
fwiw I am going to try and build my own. a x0x sequencer doesn't need velocity, so a custom keyboard can be used instead ... along these lines

Welcome to Ultimarc, the Ultimate in Arcade Controls.

i figure a serial card with programmable clock and a circuit to convert serial to midi pinout should get pretty tight when combined w/linux realtime os.

sharing this in case anyone else can get to it first!

I have constructed mock ups in reaktor and it seems feasible.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids ➑️
Unfortunately I shelled out to get exactly what I wanted:

Still think there should a be a better and cheaper alternative. An x0x hardware controller for software wouldn't be that hard or expensive to make. I'm waiting because I know it should happen. Just looking to see which company does it first.
how are you liking it? what software are you controlling with it?

just curious because i was considering going down the same road. it would be extremely slutty of me and it's a huge luxury, esp considering there are other voids in my setup that need to be filled, but you cant really put a price on workflow, and x0x style drums is so much more inspiring for me
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolstudio ➑️
Hi,

I use this:

SEQ-01

And works great triggering synth or drum modules...

wolfgang
Very interesting feedbacks (thank you all for this discussion, really appreciate it)
mmh thank you so much this MFB looks great, seem very straightforward as well (one important criteria for my slow brain....)
do you have some other comments in comparaison of your other sequencers you have or had toolstudio ?

SEQ-01e
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I removed from this list :

- electribe as too limited (mono)
this is kind of misleading. the drum sequencing on the electribes is polyphonic. you can do 9 voice drum parts on one midi channel on an emx-1, and a couple more on the esx-1 (since the stretch and slice parts are also included as drum parts). the synth part sequencers are indeed mono, but considering that you are asking about an xox sequencer that resembles the 808 way of doing things, it sounds like you are mainly looking for a drum sequencer, so i don't see why a lack of polyphony on the synth sequencers would really matter. i own an 808 and both of those electribes i just mentioned, and i'm tellin' ya the sequencing is very similar straightforward xox style (with some added perks when and if you want 'em).
Lives for gear

Quote:
DYI monome look alike (I have two left hands as we say in French)
heh
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
If you're handy with a soldering iron and can work out some electronics, you could adapt the DIY MIDIBox 808 to output MIDI rather than trigger some analogue sounds...

www.uCApps.de

...take your time with that website. There's more than enough information available on the website to do what you're interested in (particularly the MIOS, MB Hardware Platform, and HOWTOs pages, but you'll want to take a look at the MIDIBox 808 project page to start), and the forum is a pretty good place if you've got questions too.
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Very interesting feedbacks (thank you all for this discussion, really appreciate it)
mmh thank you so much this MFB looks great, seem very straightforward as well (one important criteria for my slow brain....)
do you have some other comments in comparaison of your other sequencers you have or had toolstudio ?

SEQ-01e
Hi,

I have a couple of more sequencers, like the PPG 313/314, ARP, ProOne,... but the MFB is the only drum/step sequencer. This I use to trigger synth or drum modules. For that it's great ... and cheap ...

I also have and used a MPC3000, which unfortunatly doesn't fit my workflow anymore...

So I guess, I couldn't help more with comparisons..

wolfgang
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanks again Wolfang and other suggestions raised by people here !
the mfb has no midi as far as I see on the manual, mmhhh so only for modular synth unfortunatelly (maybe i'm wrong).

Soldering is definitely not for me, was near to burn the house ! so Selidor if someone has a midibox 808 to sell that would be more secure ;-)

Nikseven, yes the electribe seems to still be a potential challenger (I took time to check some demos and manuals...) cheap and effective till a manufacturer has the brilliant idea to built a real 808 simple sequencer ...
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The TR-707/727 should do. It will put out midi data (you can even change the notes) and has the chase LED. I even somehow prefer programming my 727 to programming my 909.

But the downside is that this will all be midi. Which means the notes will never all arrive at once. In the worst case with all 9 instruments playing at the same time you will have 9ms of delay between the first and the last - in an ideal midi situation. One of the reasons for the punchy groove of the 808 is the fact that all instruments arrive at the exact same time. With the instruments triggered over midi this will not be the case.
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Machinedrum, spits out midi too. probably a bit too pricey to be used as a midictontroller only
πŸ“ Reply